What's new

Match-up Discussion My Final Judgment on Sonya vs. Kitana

I'd like to put $10 on Curbo beating Riu here. Anyone want to take that bet? Morty? Since apparently it's the Kitana players who need to level up and not the Sonyas.
hey we should do this me and you at vsm no money just fun take sonya to the lab and learn how to do ex cartwheel and d4msf1 after all that is all you need to own people with sonya ;)

Justice

Noob
Let's look at it from a strictly space control PoV.

From sweep (IE. the beginning of round 1) both Sonya and Kitana have excellent tools so they are even here.

From full-screen, Kitana has the obvious advantage with IaF, Square Ass, etc. If a Sonya player decides to get agressive and MS 2, F1 or B2 her way in, it's easy for Kitana to read this and thow standing fans to squash this or for chip vs dash blocking.

At point-blank it's all Sonya with her mix-ups, 50~50s and MS shenanigans.

The element of space control that tips this in Kitana's favour is that Sonya CANNOT LEAVE THE GROUND! If she does, she's eating massive unbreakerable damage and pushed back out of her comfort range.

So due to this and the fact that it really comes down to mind games from the players, I put this as 5.5~4.5 Kitana. As was stated earlier, whoever loses the life lead is going to have a loooooong night.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
5-5
Sonya has crap for zoning, Kitana's close pressure is lacking even with "Scoop".
Sonya is a rushdown, but Kitana can punish for fucking half Sonya's HP with little effort.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The element of space control that tips this in Kitana's favour is that Sonya CANNOT LEAVE THE GROUND! If she does, she's eating massive unbreakerable damage and pushed back out of her comfort range.
Wait.... what? Why does Sonya need to jump at me? I guess Kitana gets the edge on Kenshi now because he can't jump around.

Also, am I the only one sick of hearing about how Kitana has massive unbreakable damage and takes 50% every time she touches you? People just really don't understand this character...

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Kitana's only takin' 50% with meter, unless i'm missing something. I'd have to agree with Jimmypotatoe and say it would be 5-5 if Sonya didn't have armor. That's just my opinion though

Justice

Noob
Wait.... what? Why does Sonya need to jump at me? I guess Kitana gets the edge on Kenshi now because he can't jump around.

Also, am I the only one sick of hearing about how Kitana has massive unbreakable damage and takes 50% every time she touches you? People just really don't understand this character...
This post is a prime example of how the only people that don't understand Kitana are in-fact Kitana mains. This is as ignroant as saying "Am I the only one sick of hearing about how Cyrax has massive resets and takes 80% every time he touches you? People just really don't understand Cyrax". Give me a break. Kitana is one of the few characters that HAS unbreakable kombos and not only to Kitana players NOT lord it over everyone else, they completely ignore this fact and choose to whine about what everyone else does have.

Sonya doesn't need to jump but since she is near helpless in the air in this matchup this dramatically reduces her damage output since the majority of her kombo damage comes from JiP and DK starters. It also makes punishing pokes more dangerous with DK since one bad read leads to... plug your ears dood.... 50% unbreakable kombo punish. It also restricts her mobility since if Sonya decides to try to move forward by jump/DK a standing fan, she'll get caught on the way down with an IaF and pushed back.

There is a world of difference between not needing to and not being able to.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
still 5-5 cuz she can bait the d4 and crossover jk~fan.
But now sonya has kitana attacking her, see what happens? Kitana is taking the risk there. I'm starting to see how this could be advantage Sonya.
EDIT: I officially have this match as 6-4 sonya. Too easy for sonya to just walk her down into footsies, where they are even, and when sonya gets in she is practically garrunteed a life lead resulting in the fact that kitana has to attack which gives sonya a huge edge.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
I always hear people complain about Kitana's f21, but do they realize if we're off by only a fraction of an amount the 1 will whiff and we eat a full combo? It annoys me how even if I think I've spaced correctly and connect the f2, the following 1 can stiff whiff and get me blown up.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but in my head I've always thought Kitana/Sonya was something like 5-5. The reason being that Kitana can use "Kitana Tactics" (life lead + fans + ass), but when Sonya has momentum and speed up close, Kitana has no reliable way to escape without risking the Sonya player making a correct read with a divekick or armored kartwheel combo into 35-45% damage.

**shrugs and asses away**

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
But now sonya has kitana attacking her, see what happens? Kitana is taking the risk there. I'm starting to see how this could be advantage Sonya.
it doesnt matter because thats the beauty of Kitana, she can stop her rushdown whenever she wants with an IA Fan or do square boost and get back to a more comfortable distance, i do that stuff all the time.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
it doesnt matter because thats the beauty of Kitana, she can stop her rushdown whenever she wants with an IA Fan or do square boost and get back to a more comfortable distance, i do that stuff all the time.
How can she stop her offense with an iaf? Do you mean whiffing a fan in the air, you will still have to eat pressure on the way down. and square boost is dealt with by walking back which will reset the situation or give me pressure. Regardless of kitanas tools, if sonya makes kitana jump at her then sonya has an advantage.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
This is as ignroant as saying "Am I the only one sick of hearing about how Cyrax has massive resets and takes 80% every time he touches you? People just really don't understand Cyrax".
Actually that statement about Cyrax is pretty true as well and annoying when people don't realize it.

Kitana is one of the few characters that HAS unbreakable kombos and not only to Kitana players NOT lord it over everyone else, they completely ignore this fact and choose to whine about what everyone else does have.
Kitana's unbreakable options are great, my only problem is that you can't do as much as people think without spending meter, which only gives you a couple more %

Sonya doesn't need to jump but since she is near helpless in the air in this matchup this dramatically reduces her damage output since the majority of her kombo damage comes from JiP and DK starters. It also makes punishing pokes more dangerous with DK since one bad read leads to... plug your ears dood.... 50% unbreakable kombo punish. It also restricts her mobility since if Sonya decides to try to move forward by jump/DK a standing fan, she'll get caught on the way down with an IaF and pushed back.
Well no shit everyone does more off a JiP, but everyone also has AA options. Divekick is a risk against pokes yes which is why you need to make good use of it and not just throw it out, but the risk-reward is pretty even considering what Sonya gets if she hits. Why is Sonya jumping around to get in? Also, one thing about Kitana that you're forgetting here is that even though she controls the air, she has some of the worst crossover defense in the game.

if i would not be a sonya player i would had have open my mouth about a lot of anti sonya tech that i know a long time ago but again
why should i help my oponent to beat me? there is a lot stuff that i get away using her that in reality they are not a smart thing to do