What's new

Match-up Discussion My Final Judgment on Sonya vs. Kitana

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Five-motherfucking-five. And I'll tell you why. I'm only going to explain it once, so read carefully.

Regardless of whatever you may think, it takes effort for Sonya to get in on Kitana whether she has the life lead or not. You can duck the fans, sure, but if you're just whiffing pokes trying to get in, you run the risk of eating Kitana's long-ranged f2 1, or f2 EX Fan which also leads to a full combo. Dash-blocking doesn't lessen the danger of the fans as her hitbox has to be lifted high enough for them to make contact. And the shoulder charge from Sonya's stance also loses to fans, so it isn't as useful.

Jumping to approach is no better, obviously. One air fan and you can say good-bye to around 30% of your life and you're sent back to zoning range. Kitana's air control is greater than Sonya's. I've had my uppercut anti-air attempts stuffed by her jumpkick, which also leads to a combo off an air fan. She can also feint the jump-in using a fan to bait a failed anti-air attempt so that she can charge in.

Both these characters can punish each other at high damage levels without meter. This is another aspect of the match-up that makes it even. You cannot make mistakes if you want to keep your life bar. Potentially it could take two full combos to finish you in one round, if my calculations are correct.

Once Sonya scores a knockdown, she has an advantage...for the most part. If Kitana tries to wake up with anything other than a Square Wave Dash, you can do a d4 without cancelling into Military Stance or Cartwheel so as to overrule the attempt. If you do cancel into a special, your hitbox will lift back up and you will be caught in Kitana's attack. Square Wave Dash is Kitana's best Wake-Up option at this point - actually it is her best escape option in general, as it will always get her out of range from Sonya's attacks. You can't even hit her with a Sonic Ring before she recovers.

If you expect to stand back the entire match trying to lame Kitana out while you're ahead in life, good luck with that, because it's unrealistic. Like Sonya, Kitana has solid ways of entering close-range combat. Good as Sonya's projectile is, Kitana's fans and long-range normals give her just as much of an edge. She has options to even the playing field.

If it's d4 - Military Stance - f1 that bothers you so much, let me tell you this: so what? After blocking the f1, the fastest follow-ups Sonya can get are d1 and instant-air divekick. The d1 can be blocked and counter-poked (she can't get another stance follow-up off the blocked d1 as it provides no cancel advantage), and if the divekick is blocked, Sonya loses half her life. A third potential option is EX Cartwheel, but this here is a guess as to whether Kitana will anticipate this or not. She can jump away as the move is 23 frames, or she can block and gain momentum. If she doesn't read the EX Cartwheel, she loses 30% and is put into another mix-up situation. Ultimately, you can afford to take a little chip off of that, it's no big deal when you have the ability to make up for it with tons of damage.

Corner games, you say? What corner games? I referred to Kitana's best escape option in Square Wave three paragraphs above. Good luck trying to contain her there and then having to work your way in again, Sonya. Admittedly, I don't see Kitana's corner game as anything better than Sonya's, unless I am wrong.

And Kitana's d1...God, I hate it. It's just as annoying as Sonya's d4. Long range and keeps out the opponent pretty well. It does fail as an anti cross-up, however, but saying Kitana is free to cross-ups shows how ignorant you are of her potential as a character, even if you have the threat of divekick to turn it into a 50/50.

While we're on the subject of the d1, I'm hearing how Sonya's divekick can blow up Kitana's pokes. Well, that's only true if her poke is whiffed; on block, I'm sure as Hell not gonna punish it when I know you can cancel into Fan Cutter so that if I try, you either send me back to the other side of the screen or get massive hit advantage which allows you to do a jump-in punch 1 1 2 Cutter. It may not be a combo like how one would get off a divekick, but it's still a pain to contend with. I don't even think Kitana's at enough disadvantage off a blocked poke to be punished by the move.

I am not here to put Kitana players on blast, as I love their community to death, but why they have preached constantly about this match-up being in Sonya's favor eludes my comprehension. At one point, I had Kitana at 6-4 advantage, but changed it to 5-5 when I discovered how equal the threat in their options was, and still I find this match-up one of the most aggravating to play, even after months and months of playing MK9. I spend more than half the match chasing Kitana rather than beating the shit out of her.

It's gotten to the point where I prefer fighting Kenshi over Kitana. That right there just screams to you how much I hate this match-up, if it makes me want to fight that blind bastard with telekinesis that overpowers Ermac's.

This is not downplaying or up-playing at all. This is me relaying my experiences against Kitana to you guys. If you continue to insist that Sonya has the upper hand, then I do not know what else I can tell you. I find it insulting that some people seem to see Sonya as a character who doesn't need to work hard to handle a good Kitana, because ultimately, she does. Mind you, I do not have this view on Kitana as a character. I'm saying they both have to be on point.

So now that I have given my thoughts on the match-up, I leave it to you guys to give yours. Discuss, please.

Sonya has an ANNOYING D4, which literally locks you down for MS pressure and a guessing game.
Sonya has fast normals and better rushdown than Kitana.
Her divekick eliminates Kitana's poking game.
She has armor to get in when an air fan is thrown, when Kitana is pressuring, etc.
Her damage is up there with Kitana (Combo Damage + Resets)
Her Onion Ring is pretty good vs Kitana and punishes far away asses.
She can 1 cartwheel an instant ass to punish.
She has a small hitbox

Kitana can gain meter, control the air, and make it an obstacle for Sonya to get close to her.
But when Sonya has the life lead, Kitana has to approach her, and she clearly loses the battle upclose.

Kitana's zoning is not deadly IF approached with patience.
Alot of players STILL do not properly get past her zoning, they freak out, or they try and do something crazy (jump, attack, etc) and get hit with 8% and sometims an air fan for a 30%combo

Learn to bait her ass. Sometimes, Kitana can get away with it, but if baited, Kitana can be punished.
Punish a d1 with a d4, D4= 12 frames, blocked d1= -15

if it doesnt hit, you can still force them to block it to undergo more MS pressure
You're playing this online as well.

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
I gotta agree with blake.. I just don't see this mu being in Sonya's favor. The character with the life lead wins this mu and overall kitana has an easier time getting the lead and maintaining it. Square wave is too good in this mu and baiting and punishing it only works vs a kit that just does the move without proper spacing. If any character has an advantage it's Kitana.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Sonya has an ANNOYING D4, which literally locks you down for MS pressure and a guessing game.
Sonya has fast normals and better rushdown than Kitana.
Her divekick eliminates Kitana's poking game.
She has armor to get in when an air fan is thrown, when Kitana is pressuring, etc.
Her damage is up there with Kitana (Combo Damage + Resets)
Her Onion Ring is pretty good vs Kitana and punishes far away asses.
She can 1 cartwheel an instant ass to punish.
She has a small hitbox

Kitana can gain meter, control the air, and make it an obstacle for Sonya to get close to her.
But when Sonya has the life lead, Kitana has to approach her, and she clearly loses the battle upclose.

Kitana's zoning is not deadly IF approached with patience.
Alot of players STILL do not properly get past her zoning, they freak out, or they try and do something crazy (jump, attack, etc) and get hit with 8% and sometims an air fan for a 30%combo

Learn to bait her ass. Sometimes, Kitana can get away with it, but if baited, Kitana can be punished.
Punish a d1 with a d4, D4= 12 frames, blocked d1= -15

if it doesnt hit, you can still force them to block it to undergo more MS pressure
You're playing this online as well.
Yea Sonya can punish the ass with a dive kick combo if she makes the correct read. I haven't seen any Sonya player, aside from Foxy and myself, do that.

Her standing 4 can punish Kitana's d1 as well. It's 10f, hits mid and combos into cartwheel.

But I'm with Blake here. This match feels very evenly matched. They both have the tools to counter each other, both have the damage, both have a very good projectile.

If anyone did win this match tho, I'd say Sonya.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
but kitana's d1 is -15 and cutter is duckable.....why would u be afraid to punish a blocked d1? doesnt sonya have fast enough normals? i forget how fast cutter is on start up, but im quite sure i've seen it interrupted before...

i need to talk to 16 bit about some stuff involving cutter....if theres anyway the opponent is forced to take it...

i agree tho, 5-5

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
i agree with 5-5 thats what I have said the whole time. This is a high stakes match where if either character gets their game going, its going to be a long day for their opponent.

xKhaoTik

but kitana's d1 is -15 and cutter is duckable.....why would u be afraid to punish a blocked d1? doesnt sonya have fast enough normals? i forget how fast cutter is on start up, but im quite sure i've seen it interrupted before...

i need to talk to 16 bit about some stuff involving cutter....if theres anyway the opponent is forced to take it...
d1~cutter has a 13 frame gap, so she can interrupt it with just about anything: 114, 21, 4, divekick, ex cartwheel. i usually just duck the entire thing, and punish with dive kick

Axel_Redd

d1~cutter has a 13 frame gap, so she can interrupt it with just about anything: 114, 21, 4, divekick, ex cartwheel. i usually just duck the entire thing, and punish with dive kick
hmm, in that case, d1 cutter doesn't really work all that well....or is there still a use for that?

she has other strings that offer a much smaller gap correct?

xKhaoTik

This match has been played COUNTLESS of times offline as well, especially recently.

At NEC, I played tons of casuals with Death and we went back and forth. Then Death played Bit, and Death told me that Bit was having the edge. So when two very good kitana players are either going back and forth, or having the edge against one of the top sonya players, doesnt that mean something?

Revolver had a very close match with Death as well, but death won. My match with riu was too bad. I ran casuals with showtime and had the slightest edge. Idk, it just feels like one of the more even matches in the game.

Not to mention, just about every top sonya/kitana player has it as 5-5 and about 90% of the community has it as 5-5 as well.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
hmm, in that case, d1 cutter doesn't really work all that well....or is there still a use for that?

The point is that it is hard to react to, just like how sometimes people pressure after a blocked d3 because it is difficult to counterpoke on reaction. So d1 cutter still works, it just has to be used carefully.

xKhaoTik

yea its been known for a while now that d1~cutter isnt the force it once was. it's still a good move to check people with, but nothing to abuse, especially against characters with armor or a fast advancing normal that combos.

idk how 16bit gets away with it lol :REO

and yea she has other strings she can link cutter into that has a smaller gap, like 112 cutter, 33 cutter, 21 cutter, stuff like that.

21 cutter can be armored tho, but the spacing one 21 has to be misjudged, as in 2 hits or is blocked, but 1 whiffs. that doesnt usually happen tho, but i have seen it and have done it.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Try explaining, please?
sonyas instant dive kick kills kitanas pressure game, that and the armor on cartwheel, gives her that slight advantage, kitana can't do nothing up close, she needs to get life lead and run and hope the sonya fucks up, but sonya has options to get in, it's not that hard, F2,1 is -1 on block as well, so thats a not a threat to sonya,

kitana has no wake up game either,

sonya has the slight advantage in tool set,

when the match is played it comes down to player skill, but if you had equally matched skilled players sonya wins it man, it's not huge, but 6-4.

could be 5.5-4.5, but the advantage is there, I've played the match up tons offline and online, just my opinion.

xKhaoTik

i find b1~cutter or b3 cutter work pretty well.
b3 cutter is REALLY good. its the scoop lol. but this can be ducked. b3 is gdlk after d3 or after a blocked 21 cutter.

b1 cutter is ok. it could force the opponent to stand if they fear the overhead, but this is easily fuzzy guarded.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
This match has been played COUNTLESS of times offline as well, especially recently.

At NEC, I played tons of casuals with Death and we went back and forth. Then Death played Bit, and Death told me that Bit was having the edge. So when two very good kitana players are either going back and forth, or having the edge against one of the top sonya players, doesnt that mean something?

Revolver had a very close match with Death as well, but death won. My match with riu was too bad. I ran casuals with showtime and had the edge. Idk, it just feels like one of the more even matches in the game.

Not to mention, just about every top sonya/kitana player has it as 5-5 and about 90% of the community has it as 5-5 as well.
people also used to say kitana kenshi was only 6-4 kenshi, I laughed at that back then too lol

Axel_Redd

b3 cutter is REALLY good. its the scoop lol. but this can be ducked. b3 is gdlk after d3 or after a blocked 21 cutter.

b1 cutter is ok. it could force the opponent to stand if they fear the overhead, but this is easily fuzzy guarded.
kinda similar with f41~cutter, most of the time they'll have to block the cutter standing.

Try playing the match WITHOUT throwing fans at all so you can see how BAD sonya rapes her up close.
Her fans won't save her for long because she will eventually corner herself.
If her fans hit ducking opponents or something then I could understand it being 5-5.

This would be 3-7 if she didn't have her mediocre fans and her square boost.

xKhaoTik

Try playing the match WITHOUT throwing fans at all so you can see how BAD sonya rapes her up close.
If her fans hit ducking opponents or something then I could understand it being 5-5.

CD seems to do just fine lol

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

This guys knows what I'm talkin about

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
This is soooo 6-4 sonya. Do I have to pick sonya back up again to prove this theory? This is in sonyas favor. Kitana literally can't do any jump kick air fans because thats full combo punishable by ex cartwheel and sonya can zone kitana. Shes also got armor, MS mixups that are too overwhelming, her 40-50 combos that give her a reset and a chance to do more 50-50s. Theres a new PSN user that uses sonya and hes sick. It might be another account made by death because he plays sorta similar but hes prolly the best sonya ive played yet next to F0xy's sonya when he mained her, death and riu