What's new

Combo Video - Mournful Mournful Kombos and General Strategy (Video + Inputs)

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Finally got spare time to play my 2nd favourite MK character jadeeee (kinda)

This the go to Mournful thread? Only variation I care about for Kitana haha.

Cheers for all the info so far too : )
Welcome!

Yeah you should be able to find all the best Mournful tech here. This variation plays quite differently from the other 2, if you have any questions about something not mentioned in the thread feel free to PM me or just leave a post here, I'm more than happy to help! I really want to see this variation flourish!

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Alright dumb questions inbound haha

1) What is her fastest/most reliable punish?
2) Any solid wake up options?
3) Opening people up, B21 seems the best option what are some alternatives?
4) If you happen to be upclose what is some nice pressure strings (meter + no meter)
5) D1 her best poking tool?
6) Ji2 best jumping in option?

Apologies if these are a tad stupid.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Alright dumb questions inbound haha

1) What is her fastest/most reliable punish?
2) Any solid wake up options?
3) Opening people up, B21 seems the best option what are some alternatives?
4) If you happen to be upclose what is some nice pressure strings (meter + no meter)
5) D1 her best poking tool?
6) Ji2 best jumping in option?

Apologies if these are a tad stupid.
1) 11 Upraise for an 8 frame punish
2) Shadow kick is only -8 on block but is a high so if they read it and duck you're toast, but if they're doing that or low poking try staff grab as it hits mid
3) She just got a new low today with B3, were still testing that out, seems good enough so far. B2 is her overhead, only gives a hard knockdown though.
4) 111 glaive jails and leaves you at -3, you have enough time to armor the opponents counter poke if you're bold. The second hit of B14 is a low so try using that along with B2 and B3 if you're trying to open them up. EX glaive has an escapable gap on return, you can build around 2/3 of a bar if you use it in a block string. On hit EX glaive can get you 40%.
5) D1 is -10 on block and only +3 on hit. I personally prefer D4, but you'll have to use you're judgement depending on the situation and your opponents resources.
6) J2 or J1 or fine for jump ins, I prefer J1 for cross ups because it seems to connect better on crouching opponents. J2 for air to air.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Sick cheers for this man, really appreciate the time : )

how viable is F33U4~Glaive?
I think you mean F22U4~Glaive?

I wouldn't recommend it, you can get punished pretty hard if your opponent knows the frame data. You're better off hit confirming F22 into Upraise or F22 Glaive/EX Glaive on block.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Yeah sorry about that!

Just a quickie with a meter BnB I was messing around earlier is the NJP ~ Run ~ 21 Staff or NJP F4 ~ Staff easier because I can't seem to land the F4 after the NJP

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Yeah sorry about that!

Just a quickie with a meter BnB I was messing around earlier is the NJP ~ Run ~ 21 Staff or NJP F4 ~ Staff easier because I can't seem to land the F4 after the NJP
I always use 21, that's what i feel comfortable with and I land it consistently.

Tharr

Nyaaaah~
Any tips on AA? b1 seems good, f3 is alright as hitbox hits vertical peak quickly, wondering if there are other viable ones. Her d2 at 12f feels a bit slow to connect on reaction.
Btw, 1,1 has a gap if you glaive after it, so may want to be careful with it.

Also, what's wrong with f2,2,u4, db1? KL's cyclone, Reptile's dash, SZ's slide (after glaive) and EX ball don't even hit it.

Last edited:

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Any tips on AA? b1 seems good, f3 is alright as hitbox hits vertical peak quickly, wondering if there are other viable ones. Her d2 at 12f feels a bit slow to connect on reaction.
Btw, 1,1 has a gap if you glaive after it, so may want to be careful with it.

Also, what's wrong with f2,2,u4, db1? KL's cyclone, Reptile's dash, SZ's slide (after glaive) and EX ball don't even hit it.
Sup dude, sorry for the late response, haven't been around for quite some time.

Upraise, F4, and Shadow Kick are moves I use for AAs, there should be some F4 AA combos in the OP.

Instead of F2 2 U4 I use F2 2 Upraise on hit for a full combo or F2 2 Glaive/EX Glaive on block. You might want to practice the option selects, but you should have enough time to hit confirm.

1 1 glaive might have a gap, but 1 1 1 glaive is a true block string if I remember correctly.

Hope I helped if you were still in need of answers!

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I've finally got time to play and experiment since the latest path came out, I should have plenty of thread updates by the end of the day! From what I've been reading i the patch notes Kitana has a bunch of new tools to utlilize, if anyone wants show save me some time and show me the new dirt hit me up on PSN!

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Do you know if her damage was adjusted at all? I wnat to put your BnB list in the OP but if thepercentages need to be adjusted I'll do that first. It doesn't look like the optimal mid screen combos changed, she just got new options.

Redux

Ex Phase
I appreciate the updates on this thread. Just started learning her a couple days ago and was looking for combos & to see how others play her so I dig the vids you included in the OP.

@ThaRawDeal just curious do you play other variations of her too? If so I'd like to know how succesful you are with mournful compared to royal storm online. Cheers.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I appreciate the updates on this thread. Just started learning her a couple days ago and was looking for combos & to see how others play her so I dig the vids you included in the OP.

@ThaRawDeal just curious do you play other variations of her too? If so I'd like to know how succesful you are with mournful compared to royal storm online. Cheers.
Sorry for the late (super late!) response!

I play all 3 variations but I prefer Mournful, I have the most fun playing with this variation. I don't use Royal storm that much, I probably use assassin the second most after Mournful. I'm most successful with Mournful by far though. How have you been doing with her?

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Played some "serious" ranked matches for the first time since the Tanya nerf last night. Looks like all the old tricks still work, but people have learned about the gaps you can armor through on the EX Glaives return. I just YOLO it until they interrupt with something substantial, then bait the armor. The las match I played was against some Shinnok player who was pretty good. It was my first time fighting against a bone shaper with resets and he knew when to use armor properly. You can see that fight at 26:09

I gotta learn his punishment.

Last edited:

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Hello! I'm new to the Kitana forum. I'm trying to pick up Mournful. After looking at a bunch of combo videos, I noticed that no one does her air-glaive after ex-db2. Is it because it's kind of useless?

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Hello! I'm new to the Kitana forum. I'm trying to pick up Mournful. After looking at a bunch of combo videos, I noticed that no one does her air-glaive after ex-db2. Is it because it's kind of useless?
Welcome! You can get a shadow kick after that or run cancel D1 staff grab. Personally I hardly ever use EX db2 because the risk/reward isn't worth it in this variation. For wake up you're better off using ex staff grab or shadow kick.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Welcome! You can get a shadow kick after that or run cancel D1 staff grab. Personally I hardly ever use EX db2 because the risk/reward isn't worth it in this variation. For wake up you're better off using ex staff grab or shadow kick.
Thanks for the warm welcome :) But what I meant was, after EX-db2, you can do the db2 (float move) or glaive while she's still in the air. Is there any high combo potential with that? I think you were talking about comboing once she's back on the ground? Is EX-db2 just best as an anti-air?

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Thanks for the warm welcome :) But what I meant was, after EX-db2, you can do the db2 (float move) or glaive while she's still in the air. Is there any high combo potential with that? I think you were talking about comboing once she's back on the ground? Is EX-db2 just best as an anti-air?

As far as I know the combo damage mid screen is pretty low after EX db2, not worth the meter in my opinion. You can EX db2, air glaive, shadow kick/RC d1~staff. I don't remember the %'s because I don't use that move unless I'm going for the brutality. I prefer shadow kick as an anti air and EX staff grab/shadow kick for wake up.

This is Mournful but I love this combo and pulling it off in an online match is epic! I have learnt Mournful and it's my favourite variation, it's very good for zoning. The shadow kick Is well......awesome!

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I'm fooling around with Mournful as we speak. This thread is really helpful. Can we get this stickied given that is is a guide? It is really useful for any newies wanting to explore Kitana / her variations and would be great to expand upon