What's new

Combo Video - Mournful Mournful Kombos and General Strategy (Video + Inputs)

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I see everyone is in love with the assassin and royal storm variants, but where is the love for mournful? I'm still pissed off that Jade isn't in MKX yet but Kitanas mournful variant has been serving me well thus far.

While assassin and royal storm have way better zoning abilities, mournful has has a better rush down and wake up game than the other two variants. She gains two solid wake up attacks with staff grab and shadow kick. Her block strings are very similar to Jades from MK9, any string into EX glaive nets you decent chip and a safe confirm if your opponent doesn't use meter.

Full screen glaive spam is nice too! it recovers pretty quickly and is a good meter building tool. From full screen EX glaive, Run, F43 will combo. EX glaive is a great way to get in on opponents who like to run. Air glaive should only be used at range, it's easily punished, but hits overhead. No point in ever wasting meter with the EX version.

At mid screen F2, EX glaive is a great poke confirm in the neutral. If they try to jump in, F4 or neutral jump punch anti air combos should shut that down.

Shadow kick hits high but covers good distance. If it connects the opponent is sent flying back to full screen. I also use it as a ranged anti air vs people who anticipate a glaive toss. I rarely end combos with it since staff grab gives better damage in all situations unless I want to keep the corner. Even then I prefer EX staff grab.

My favorite string in this variation is F1,1,2 because it gives you plenty of time to confirm before you burn meter on EX glaive to extend the combo. On block, cancel into shadow kick to stay safe. Pretty sure the last hit jails so you don't need to worry about them ducking. If they can duck staff grab isn't as safe but hits mid.

Her 8 frame punish is 11~Upraise, F43, F43, 21~Staff Grab for 28%

Mid range whiff punish F22~Upraise, F43, F43, 3~Staff Grab 27%

D4, shadow kick seems to be a good low poke option. If the D4 connects on hit or block shadow kick can't be interrupted or ducked. If you just land a naked D4 you'll have about an 8 frame window to land a F2 or Run 1, 1, 1. I would spend a bar of meter here and cancel into EX glaive. Anyone trying to counter poke should get smashed by the F2. 1, 1, 1, Glaive (3.63 % chip) builds nearly 1/3 meter on block, can't be interrupted, and is safe at -3.

Float cancel should really be explored in this variation, it opens the door for some higher damage combos without meter. This and some of the Kombos I use can be seen in the following videos:

50/50 OPTION WITH EX AIR GLAIVE AND B3

Using B2 for the hard knockdown only sacrifices about 3% from the potential max combo damage, but you'll make that up through chip and meter gain if they correctly block the following overhead/low mix up.

Mournful Kombos at 2:35

Hope this helps all the Jade fans! If anyone has something useful to contribute specifically about Kitanas mournful variant please speak up! I would love so see this variation become tournament worthy.

METERLESS BnB's

B14~Lift, F43, F43, 21~Staff Grab

212~Glaive, RC~D1~Staff Grab 22%

1 BAR BnB's

(B14) or (F33) ~EX Glaive, F43, F43, F43, D1~Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run~21~Staff Grab 40%
(EASY VERSION)
(B14) or (F33) ~EX Glaive, F43, F43, 21~Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run~21~Staff Grab 39%

F112~EX Glaive, Run~F43, D1~Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run~21~Staff Grab, 36%
(EASY VERSION)
F112~EX Glaive, Run~21~Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run~21~Staff Grab 34%

JP~Air Float~NJP, F33~EX Glaive, Run~21~Upraise, Run~F33~Staff Grab 36%

JP~Air Float~NJP, F43, F43, 21~Upraise, Run~F33~EX Staff Grab 36%

(B14) or (F33) ~EX Glaive, F43, F43, 21, Upraise, Dash forward, NJP, Run~21~Staff Grab 39%

KORNER KOMBOS

F22U4~Air Glaive, F33~Upraise, JK~Float~NJP, D2, D1~Staff Grab 34%

F112~Glaive, 212~Upraise, JK~FLOAT~NJP, D2, D1~Staff Grab 37%

111~Upraise, NJP, F43, D1~Staff Grab 24%

1 BAR KORNER

(B14) or (F33) ~EX Glaive, F112~Glaive, B14~Upraise, JK~Float~NJP, D2, D1~Staff Grab 43%

GLAIVE SWAG

JP, B14~EX Glaive, F33~EX Glaive, F43, F43, F43, D1~Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run~21~EX Staff Grab 45%

HOW DO YOU GET IN?

Unless you have at least one bar of meter, you don't. You can safely run behind EX Glaive to get in, but rushing down the opponent should not be your focus. Instead try baiting them into making mistakes and punishing accordingly. Since Glaive hit's mid and Air Glaive hits overhead most of your opponents will be forced into taking aggressive action unless they want to be chipped to death while you build meter.

At range Glaive can be angled up to knock enemies out of the air. Don't feel bad about the intense zoning you'll be doing, because your options to get big damage are pretty limited without bar.

Take your damage where you can get it. B2 is your only overhead so expect most opponents to crouch block until you force them to respect that option. Alternate between B2 and D4, Shadow Kick when you're low on meter, both options are safe. If you have meter to burn use EX Glaive to cover your block strings or confirm into high damage combos. Keep in mind that there is a small gap during the Glaive's return that can be armored through.

Air Float can be used to screw up your opponents wake up game by creating ambiguous cross up situations making it difficult to properly input wake up commands. Drop on them with a NJP combo for big damage, just land and throw or go into another string.

DEFENSIVE OPTIONS?

Staff Grab (i14) and Shadow Kick (i13) can be used to punish blocked moves that recover quickly and push you out of range for her faster normals such as Kung Jin's EX Bo Swing. Alternatively you can Run cancel and 1, 1, Upraise, etc to get a stronger punish at range.

B2 seems to be a decent anti air vs cross up attempts, still testing it out though.

F4 can anti air JK and JP but don't rely on it unless your spacing is immaculate. Upraise is still your safest option.

EX Rising Fan is also a good anti air that can net you 20% with EX Rising Fan~Air Glaive, Shadow kick

ONLINE MATCHES

MOURNFUL TOURNAMENT MATCHES

Anyone?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9158

Well the game did just come out, there's a lot of stuff to go through. If no one else is doing it, check it out yourself (like you did). Cool stuff

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Well the game did just come out, there's a lot of stuff to go through. If no one else is doing it, check it out yourself (like you did). Cool stuff
Yeah I know its still early, but there are already a whole bunch of post for the other two variants. Her fan toss is so good that people are saying she might be the best zoner in the game right now. There aren't any fan to toss with mournful, so I'm afraid is might get overlooked unless there is a real matchup advantage to using it.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
i just wish jade had been that quick with the glaive :(... probably wouldnt be dead now.

and i think mournful is pretty ridiculous.

I know right! I still have hope that she'll be playable in MKX one day. At the very least I expect someone to make a PC mod.

E

Eldriken

I'm thinking Mournful will be her optimal zoning variation. You can't duck her glaives like you can her fans.

What's fucked up about that is her glaives and fans both cover the same exact area of the screen, but her fans are a high and the glaives are a mid. That's effing stupid.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I'm thinking Mournful will be her optimal zoning variation. You can't duck her glaives like you can her fans.

What's fucked up about that is her glaives and fans both cover the same exact area of the screen, but her fans are a high and the glaives are a mid. That's effing stupid.

I think it's fair, her glaive can't be as easily abused as the fans. If fans hit mid there would be no way for most characters to get in on her without eating massive chip.

I'd say royal storm is best for zoning though.

Last edited:

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I'm gonna update the OP with the inputs for some more combos I use and other general tips tonight.

I applaud this. I really hate Kitana this game. So both royal storm and assasin do not click with me, although I am willing to give mournful a shot. cool thread

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Dude, you're wrong
http://ololo.fm/search/mortal+kombat+x+theme
I heard somewhere that mournful may be Kitana's best variation. I might cope if this were true. I hate that she has fanlift, but doesn't have glow. I hate Kitana, also.
The small snippet you hear before the WHO'S NEXT theme starts was just the stage music, I didn't add anything else to the BGM.

As far as mournful being her best variation, I doubted. Mournful requires a lot of meter to get consistent damage where royal storm and assassin can easily pull of kombos of 30% and higher without meter letting them save bar for breaker and stuff.

Mournful's biggest advantage over the other two is having a safe wake up option with shadow kick, the glaive projectile hits mid, and EX glaive enhances her ground pressure.

I personally prefer mournful, but if you don't have meter you've got to play a god like neutral game unlike with the other two variants where you can just spam fans.

All 3 variants have their respective advantages disadvantages, gotta learn more about the match up specifics before I can say which one is the best overall.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Tried out mournful today and nkw I consider it my favorite. I live being able to have a solid zoning option, hit confirm, and have. Great gap closer in Shadow kick. This variation is super underrated.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
not sure if its in any of the videos, but the OP has only 1 punish as 111db3 for 16%. I've been doing 11db1, NJP F43 F43 21db3 for (i think 26%). I'm sure I'm not the first, but after an initial glance over the original post to see only 16% as her highest punish was somewhat disheartening, lol

EDIT: I meant TS as the ender (bf3). And it does 28%
11db1, NJP F43 F43 21bf3

and for just 1% less its much easier if you just eliminate the NJP

Last edited:

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
not sure if its in any of the videos, but the OP has only 1 punish as 111db3 for 16%. I've been doing 11db1, NJP F43 F43 21db3 for (i think 26%). I'm sure I'm not the first, but after an initial glance over the original post to see only 16% as her highest punish was somewhat disheartening, lol

EDIT: I meant TS as the ender (bf3). And it does 28%
11db1, NJP F43 F43 21bf3

and for just 1% less its much easier if you just eliminate the NJP
That's just to get people started, I'm still updating the OP with info and combos. Right now I Actually use 1, 1, Upraise, F4, 3, F4, 3, 2, 1, Staff Grab for 28% no meter. Still have to test if I can do better.

I appreciate your input though!