What's new

Combo Video - Mournful Mournful Kombos and General Strategy (Video + Inputs)

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
That's just to get people started, I'm still updating the OP with info and combos. Right now I Actually use 1, 1, Upraise, F4, 3, F4, 3, 2, 1, Staff Grab for 28% no meter. Still have to test if I can do better.

I appreciate your input though!
cool! I figured. Thats actually what I switched to as well. The staff grab does 1% more than the TS

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I would like to start adding match up specific strats, might start with characters who out zone her

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I encountered an issue earlier where Upraise will whiff after F3, 3 if both players are in right foot forward stance. I tested it on Shinok and Kung Jin. This does not apply to the royal storm variation.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I Just blew up an Inferno scorpion trying to spam summons on me. At full screen you can air glaive at the height of your jump pretty safely since the overhead will completely whiff if you're in the upper back portion of the screen. Scorpion is pretty much forced to come to you since none of his summons can reach you back there. At that point it becomes pretty easy to bait a teleport and punish. A well timed EX teleport will hit you pretty hard though so be careful, float cancel NJK helps to counter that. If he ever knocks you down you should have built enough meter to armor out of his 50/50.

At mid screen shadow kick is everything. Make him respect it.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I'm thinking Mournful will be her optimal zoning variation. You can't duck her glaives like you can her fans.

What's fucked up about that is her glaives and fans both cover the same exact area of the screen, but her fans are a high and the glaives are a mid. That's effing stupid.

The more I play and watch other Kitana royal storm/assasin users in action, the more I start to believe mournful is actually Kitanas best variation. Mournful excels in all the match ups where royal storm/assassin struggle. Air glaive being a diagonal overhead is everything!

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Head to head I fell like Mournful beats Assassin or Royal Storm due having a mid hitting faster recovering projectile that can be angled up. Even reflect is useless because of how fast glaive recovers, I can just jump it on return and throw one from the air. If they ever reflect an air glaive it is sent back at a diagonal angle and you'll drop before it can hit you. The other Kitana will be forced to rush you down. If you ever get in trouble EX Shadow Kick will bail you out.

Mournful VS Royal Storm matches at :45 and 7:27

The Magician

According to my sources...
Thinking about picking up mournful as my second variation, is there anything I should know beforehand(certain strings, ex's etc.)

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Thinking about picking up mournful as my second variation, is there anything I should know beforehand(certain strings, ex's etc.)
Most everything you need to get started is in the OP. Glaive is safe on block so you can cancel most strings with that to make it safe then threaten with armor to keep them from counter poking. This variation excels at the ground game where the other two fall short. I have a couple of things to add later, but if you want to know anything specific just ask, I probably have an answer now.

The Magician

Most everything you need to get started is in the OP. Glaive is safe on block so you can cancel most strings with that to make it safe then threaten with armor to keep them from counter poking. This variation excels at the ground game where the other two fall short. I have a couple of things to add later, but if you want to know anything specific just ask, I probably have an answer now.
I'm not at my ps4 right now, but can f33 combo into ex glaive? I was thinking of a Ji2 f43 f43 f33 ex glaive dash f4 db1 f4 staff grab?

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
I'm not at my ps4 right now, but can f33 combo into ex glaive? I was thinking of a Ji2 f43 f43 f33 ex glaive dash f4 db1 f4 staff grab?
It can, that specific combo wouldn't work though due to gravity restrictions. I think I covered her bnb's in the OP as well.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Found a 39% 1 bar that's extremely easy to pull off for the pull who aren't used to run cancel combos yet: b14 EX Glaive f43 f43 f4 db1 dash NJP f4 staff grab; 40% with a JiP
I actually use (B1, 4) or (F3, 3), EX Glaive, F4, 3, F4, 3, 2, 1, Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run, 2, 1, Staff Grab 39%

Using 2, 1 before Upraise is more consistent for me than F4. Thanks for reminding me though, I need to update the combo section right now.

The Magician

I actually use (B1, 4) or (F3, 3), EX Glaive, F4, 3, F4, 3, 2, 1, Upraise, Dash Forward, NJP, Run, 2, 1, Staff Grab 39%

Using 2, 1 before Upraise is more consistent for me than F4. Thanks for reminding me though, I need to update the combo section right now.
Yeah I couldn't get 21 more consistent for me than F4 lol, probably because all of my assassin midscreens go into f4, upraise.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
What's your highest combo in the corner with 1 bar, or meterless. I can't seem to get over 40%
I haven't gone for highest damage yet, just the stuff I consider practical in an actual match. 1 bar I have (B1, 4) or (F3, 3), EX Glaive, F1, 1, 2, Glaive, 2, 1, Upraise, NJP, D2, D1, Staff Grab 40%

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Here you go.

Dude that's just ridiculous... Good find! This will be patched no doubt, and when they do I just hope they do it in a way that doesn't nerf her! In the mean time, I guess you can set this up with EX glaive once you get them to the corner. I wonder if this could be a block infinite as well.

The Magician

Dude that's just ridiculous... Good find! This will be patched no doubt, and when they do I just hope they do it in a way that doesn't nerf her! In the mean time, I guess you can set this up with EX glaive once you get them to the corner. I wonder if this could be a block infinite as well.
Probably won't make it so it can't chain that far, but that might nerf some of her other corner combos that go for more hits than usual.

There is a way to patch it out without nerfining her but I don't have faith they will do it correctly. I don't think it's a block infinite though. On block it's -3 so an average speed normal (around 8 frames or so) will stuff out any move you try to throw out next since her fast move is 7 frames and that's a ten frame window before the move is active. Plus you could duck the J2 if they block.

WhIle it's interesting there's an infinite I need to see how fast the opponent builds bar with it. If it's fast enough I'd say let it rock. Personally I say she needs to be able to combo after a standing glaive in the corner as it can increase her damage output by a bit and makes it more worthwhile for having your opponent t in the corner. It's not like she has mixups ya know.

EDIT:
Just tested the infinite from zero bar... shit's busted. I got 50% before they got a full bar of meter.

EDIT 2:
apparently meter build scales... I jumped up to 70% and they were only a bit further than where the bar was for 50%

Last edited:

The Magician

I haven't gone for highest damage yet, just the stuff I consider practical in an actual match. 1 bar I have (B1, 4) or (F3, 3), EX Glaive, F1, 1, 2, Glaive, 2, 1, Upraise, NJP, D2, D1, Staff Grab 40%
Got 41% or 42% with Jump in. b14 EX Glaive f43 f43 f33 Upraise JiK float cancel NJP f33 Staff Grab.

Got 41% or 42% with Jump in. b14 EX Glaive f43 f43 f33 Upraise JiK float cancel NJP f33 Staff Grab.
I have a couple of combos I recorded this mourning, lol, in the corner.

F33 Glaive 2 Glaive 21 Lift NJP Jip Jip D2 D1 Staff Grab. If I remember right it was 40% meterless.

F33 Glaive 2 EX Glaive F43 F43 F33 Lift NJP Jip D2 D1 Staff Grab. I believe it was 45%

The Magician

I have a couple of combos I recorded this mourning, lol, in the corner.

F33 Glaive 2 Glaive 21 Lift NJP Jip Jip D2 D1 Staff Grab. If I remember right it was 40% meterless.

F33 Glaive 2 EX Glaive F43 F43 F33 Lift NJP Jip D2 D1 Staff Grab. I believe it was 45%
Oh thanks, didn't have much time today to look for meterless, most I got was 38%. Thanks for the combos