What's new

Mortal Kombat X - Tournament Console Standard?

What console should be major tournament standard for Mortal Kombat X?

• Total voters

Mst

Noob
I really hope this will be the case, but as far as i know i think only the PS Move controllers are backwards compatible with the PS4. So far i don't think the PS3 controller is, which i find strange.

Me personally, I'm not a huge fan of the new PS4 controller. The d-pad is way to stiff and the square and circle buttons are now closer together, making it easier to mess up your button inputs.

I'm thinking Sony wants people to use the new controller so that they can make more money from selling it. If they made the DS3 backwards compatible with the PS4, people might not buy the more expensive DS4 controller, When they can just stick to their old DS3 controller.

Sony's business practices are starting to imitate apples and it's annoying as hell.

Hopefully they will come to their senses are make the DS3 compatible.
Its up to the devs to incorporate usb drivers for non PS4 controllers on PS4. Afaik MikeZ is working on to get PS3 Stuff to work with Skullgirls.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Given that GGXRD is going to be PS4 exclusive (and I'll imagine a lot of anime fighters will be actually, as what tended to be the case with the PS3), tournaments are definitely going to have PS4s around as well.
Nope. It's cross-gen. PS3/PS4. According to ASW the only difference is 720p/1080p. Considering it runs on arcade software I'm inclined to believe them. It'd have to be a really bad port job (assuming they're porting it down rather than porting it up to PS4. Of course if they're porting it down you'd have a hard time justifying running it on the PS3) for them to consider PS4 for that game.

That being said, that doesn't mean they won't actually go for PS4 either if there's a significant problem running the game on XB1.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Its up to the devs to incorporate usb drivers for non PS4 controllers on PS4. Afaik MikeZ is working on to get PS3 Stuff to work with Skullgirls.
That's interesting. I know the guys over at controllermax are trying to get the DS3 to work on the PS4 too. As far as i know, it will work with the cronusmax, so long as you also use X-input. This is something that the average joe might find to tricky to set up. I really hope they can get it working without the x-input.

EDIT: looks as though a new method has been discovered. PS3 pads and sticks as well as xbox 360 pads and sticks now working on the PS4.

http://controllermax.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144287

Last edited:

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
To be honest acceptability would be the best decision for the early months. Xbone will be running ki and you can only run one game at a time so its still a big investment with time and money. And provided converter are almost a must with the new systems. Like it or not most will be getting the game on last gen regardless if ps4 or xbone are picked. Yet no one want to watch it on last gen. PC could very well become the tournament standard if developers would care for it. Being able to run all games on a single machine with any controller and no converters would save a ton of time with set ups. At least it could be a option for streaming stations in the future.

The rest is just to in forum mkf a bit. Has nothing to do with the topic skip of you want.

Mkf you really have no idea what you are talking about. Almost all games that come out now are linked to an account. And if you get banned they ban your account on multipliable games. Not to mention a good online game has dedicated server with active admin that ban hacker or players that disrupt game play from the server. Something that matchmaking has almost killed.
Account hacks happen just as much on psn/live as they do on pc. There all just a user name and password after all. Cod has mod server on 360/ps3/pc that can get you banned just for joining through match making. Something you have no control over. And your not going to get a virus unless you are downloading junk or going to unsafe web sites. And that your fault and no one else's. Otherwise the anti virus that comes built in with window should be good enough. Or you can get a better one if you want.

Frame per second only helps you if your monitor can handle it. And all it does is make the game look smoother. The advantage you get from it won't make much difference. On top of that new games will take a very power full system to get those fps to stay that high with out turning down settings.

Upgrading cost as much as your willing to pay. You can get a good gaming pc for $400-$500 and upgrade parts later if your want. Hell people still play new games on ten year old budget gaming pc, But if you got the money you can spend a fortune on a crazy good one. Get a 660ti or amd equivalent and decent i5/ i7 or amd equivalent cpu will set you up until the ps5 comes out. Ps4 and xbox one are said to be low end gaming graphic cards. So thats where most games will be shooting for.

A system freezing during a tournament happens. No matter what you get it will freeze at some point when they are running all day in hot rooms.

Pc is all about option and customization. If it was not for mk and a few exclusives I would not even be considered getting a ps4/xbone.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
does that converter work the other way? like ps3/360 to ps4?
All controllers,sticks,keyboard or mouse can work on ps3,x1,x360. Dont work if u plug on ps4 atm but later with upgraids will be possible. Atm i use my ps4 controller on 360 withouth any upgraids. Just plug and play. U only need plug original controller to identify buttons then u plus the new one

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
Again, why are people who'll never spend money to show up in tournaments giving their opinions?

Maybe there is a different between spend 100 $ and 1500€. Don't worry. I will come there soon. Or just come injustice ps4 and try to get my doomsday on FT10

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
@DOOMSDAY-15RUS- yeah totally, travelling from mexico to the US several times totally costed me $100 bucks. And sure I'll buy a console just to play against a laggy scrub from France, sure.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@ Rabid: On the contrary, I do know. You're either wrong or misunderstanding me flat out. You're missing my point then if I may, I never denied that I said it's easier to get hacked....please watch the two videos I posted to learn more of what I speak of. I'm pretty sure in that regard I do know what I'm talking about, the rest was also concerning gaming preferences.

The fact that PC FPS's require players to match other players who invested more time and money in their PC just to have fair matches via no framerate advantages is really lame. And both of those fellows in the videos said such as well(who have way more experience then I do with PC) so I rest my case. It's still an issue as you have to spend extra money just to compete fairly online? That's so dumb. On the modding count, yes obviously that's optional but I'm saying concerning the FPS points those guys mentioned, if say most people online spend 900 bucks on specs for that game, then everyone else has to otherwise you're at a severe disadvantage. This is why I'll stick to consoles not for nothing. I won't have this issue with Xbox if I go on COD online, I have fios which is really fast that should be good enough.

At any rate I'll be getting MK for Xbox One(possibly 360 just to compare or review)

Last edited:

F4tal

Noob
@ Rabid: You're missing my point then if I may, I never denied that I said it's easier to get hacked....please watch the two videos I posted to learn more of what I speak of. I'm pretty sure in that regard I do know what I'm talking about, the rest was also concerning gaming preferences.

The fact that PC FPS's require players to match other players who invested more time and money in their PC just to have fair matches via no framerate advantages is really lame. And both of those fellows in the videos said such as well(who have way more experience then I do with PC) so I rest my case. It's still an issue as you have to spend extra money just to compete fairly online? That's so dumb. On the modding count, yes obviously that's optional but I'm saying concerning the FPS points those guys mentioned, if say most people online spend 900 bucks on specs for that game, then everyone else has to otherwise you're at a severe disadvantage. This is why I'll stick to consoles not for nothing. I won't have this issue with Xbox if I go on COD online, I have fios which is really fast that should be good enough.

At any rate I'll be getting MK for Xbox One(possibly 360 just to compare or review)
You still have no idea what you are talking about. Please quit.

Vandy

Kumite!
After reading more of the responses in this thread I am leaning toward Xbox One. I still have concerns about controller versatility though.

The ps3 and ps4 don't have issues with hotfixes on consoles being erased based on who signed in/signed out like we've seen on the 360 and I think that's a very big pro for the ps4. Also, no need for converters ps pad converters to xbox since the ps4 pad is great for fighting games as it is and companies are starting to come out with 360/ps3/ps4 compatible fight sticks.

After reading more of the responses in this thread I am leaning toward Xbox One. I still have concerns about controller versatility though.
At this point X1 only makes sense. There are already fightsticks in production, people have been playing KI on it for a while in tournaments with no real issues.

If for some reason there are performance issues on the X1, then PS4 would have to be the standards. As far as I know the API's on both systems is very similar so development shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully the game performs well on either system.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
What are you going to "pair" MK with ........ KI or Anime fighter?

If SF goes PS4....... do you want MKx to have to share consoles and stream time with it?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
PCs are great but I'm not setting up controllers every new match. This includes making sure the drivers are good.

Basically if we did PCs, we would have to make them literally barebone machines with nothing but the game, win7, and like chrome.

There would also have to be a tech support guy for at least every three machines, and idk about you but if hardware fails, its harder to replace on the spot then say, another console

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
why isn't ps3 and xbox360 an option lol it will oat likely be on one of those for tourney lol
The PS3 and 360 ports of MKX are basically going to be what MSHVSF on the PS1 was compared to the Saturn/Arcade versions.

With MKX dropping soon and pre-orders available across multiple consoles, I was wondering what console everyone is planning on purchasing MKX for and possibly which console we can expect to be the tournament standard?

I generally like to play fighting games using an arcade stick (MK9 included, i'm sure MKX will be the same) and I know a lot of people preferred to play MK9 on PS3 pad.

With SFV and Guilty Gear Xrd being PS3/PS4 exclusive, I am sort of expecting the PS4 to ultimately become the console of choice for next gen.

Past iterations of previous games seemed to ultimately run better on X360 rather than PS3, for some reason I expect the same to be the case with MKX.

Killer Instinct is XBone exclusive, is that enough to encourage tournament organizers to use XBone rather than PS4? I doubt it, but would like to hear others opinions.

Personally, I would like to see PC become the tournament standard because of it's ability to support several different controller types (PS3, PS4, all arcade sticks regardless of platform, x360, xbone pad, etc).

What are others opinions/thoughts/expectations?

E

Eldriken

I'm gonna go on a limb and say it will probably be standard on PS4.