What's new

Mortal Kombat X - Tournament Console Standard?

What console should be major tournament standard for Mortal Kombat X?

• Total voters

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
No it doesn't it runs 720p I have nothing against the X1 hell all games that will be on both x1 and ps4 will always look the same since it has to be optimized, but I'm sorry bro, ps4 has 1080p and x1 has 720p, that is a fact. And even though it is only 720p, the games on there look fuckimg gorgeous so I don't think that at that point the resolution matters
Wait, what? lol. Just like the PS4, the resolution varies game to game for the XB1. It's already been stated by NRS that both current gen consoles will run the game @1080p/60fps. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
On topic; It's already been decided by EVO that the PS4 will be the grass roots console of choice. I don't see that changing unless something is wrong with the PS4 version of the game.

It's odd that NRS is backing ESL who is using XB1 consoles, but MS is a ESL supporter.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@ Hini:- You assumed I meant that though, I never said they were experts on everything but obviously you're not either if you think people can't get past game PC bans easily. One of them have been mods and administrators for WOW, DOTA etc. I think they know the drill. I'm not even a PC gamer and even I know that from watching my friend's play, what they say and what I've seen. On Xbox, that won't work. You need to make a new account all together which will cost you money...You also seemed to assume the knowledge of my friends regarding PC comment with that statement, which you don't know. Hell I don't even know how much they know but it's a lot to build it from scratch. Not just build but build for fast speeds, big games etc god knows what else. Like I said they build their own computers and have always been hardcore PC gamers. Unless I'm missing something this was the vibe I was getting from your post.

Then you're clearly not understanding my argument....

I was brief but if something so simple goes over your head, that's on you pal. 5 words is pretty damn brief.

I have no poor arguments though, majority on here agree or else we'd see majors for fighters on PC, not console. But if you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. You're clearly pro PC or taking everything I say out of context.

That's absolutely besides the point whether it's hard or not. Knowledge that you need to build your PC doesn't translate in any way into your ability to identify online game hacks or to properly protect your system from outside threats for that matter. The inverse is also true.

That said, I have no idea why is this even relevant. In the end you pick one that can accommodate most players. This means mostly controller support and lack of glitches in relevant builds of the game. Another point is available games. If you're running an event with MKX and KI, it's not going to be PS, probably. If you want SF5 and GG... Well, you get the idea.

Players should just make sure they can use their controller with whatever platform there is, I'm sure there is one way or another to do that with most of devices. I'm not sure if it's possible for keyboard warriors, but it's not like this community cares :p

...but really, wasn't there a way to make them work anyway?
It's not besides the point based off what he said, he said " building PC's are high school level" as if it's easy or High School level. Yet, I know plenty of people who have good computers who didn't build them yet are smart. Maybe they're just not tech savvy. Being my point. It was relevant to the other guys post. I imagine you mean "PC" btw regarding not running an event? You said PS....unless you meant Playstation? Cause you mentioned SF5 after? Anyway, my point being you'd see more events for fighters on Xbox and PS then you would on PC. I would bet anything on this.

At any rate, people play on their favorite or preferred platform anyway I was just pointing out initially that I highly doubt the tourney standard will be on PC with MK X. That is all my friend. :cool:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It's not besides the point based off what he said, he said " building PC's are high school level" as if it's easy or High School level. Yet, I know plenty of people who have good computers who didn't build them yet are smart. Maybe they're just not tech savvy.
I was just pointing out relevant part of the message. "Easy", "smart", "tech savvy"... It's too broad and doesn't mean much when you face details. No point arguing semantics.

I imagine you mean "PC" btw regarding not running an event? You said PS....unless you meant Playstation? Cause you mentioned SF5 after? Anyway, my point being you'd see more events for fighters on Xbox and PS then you would on PC. I would bet anything on this.
Of course I mean Playstation. GG and SF5 are / are going to be PS exclusive. If you want those games, you have to use PS.

At any rate, people play on their favorite or preferred platform anyway I was just pointing out initially that I highly doubt the tourney standard will be on PC with MK X. That is all my friend. :cool:
Well, my point was that whatever is standard shouldn't mean much as far as my understanding goes, unless there are differences in builds for different platforms. Otherwise you should be able to come and play regardless of the platform with some preparations.
And btw I don't see PC being convenient to use for events as well.

Hini

Batomancer
I never said they were experts on everything but obviously you're not either if you think people can't get past game PC bans easily.
Never claimed I was either, and I didnt say it wasnt easy, I said a reasonable person wouldnt do it because its not optimal. Obviously however a "hacking" (its such a shitty term because they are not really hacking but just running a fuckin program) person is not reasonable. My entire point was not to say that you cant get around it, but that people dont bother because its not worth it.

You also seemed to assume the knowledge of my friends regarding PC comment with that statement, which you don't know. Hell I don't even know how much they know but it's a lot to build it from scratch. Not just build but build for fast speeds, big games etc god knows what else
No I dont assume to know your friends expertise based on your statement, because there is no way for me to actually know that. What I am telling you is that your argument that is supposed to convince me that they are tech savvy is a bad one.

Again building from scratch is not complicated nor does it imply lots of knowledge about components. Again building a great computer is not complicated nor does it inform any argument about their competence.

I was brief but if something so simple goes over your head, that's on you pal. 5 words is pretty damn brief.
Also, they don't have bikes. One takes PT(like myself) to most places and the other has a car, 2010 Camaro to be exact. Besides, you'd only need to worry about actually chaining your bike in a ghetto or bad hood. I should know, I live in NYC. Thankfully my neighborhood is good.
This is the post I was talking about when you werent brief, nor that it was apparent that you were sarcastic nore witty, and I sure count more than five.

I have no poor arguments though, majority on here agree or else we'd see majors for fighters on PC, not console. But if you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. You're clearly pro PC or taking everything I say out of context.
No I think that there are great reasons for why its not being played on PC at tournaments, I'm just singling out all the bad arguments you have made for why its not a tournament standard.

I am not refuting the central point but your poorly constructed arguments around it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hini:-
While that may be true, obviously SOME people still feel the need to do so regardless of reason. Some people have nothing better to do.

Then I can only ask you to take my word for it, they've been gaming and building their PC's for years now and fill me in everytime I ask them "how powerful would my PC need to be to play such and such" down to every detail...so I believe they know enough about this stuff.

To perhaps just "build" a computer, sure that's true because I do have ONE friend who isn't a gamer he and his brother built one just to save years from updating. But then there's building a PC for sake of building one, and then there's BUILDING a PC as in fancier components, able to mod, run anything etc. I have a friend(who's job is literally to fix computers) who I go to when I have issues with mine, who can and has attested to that. Let's just say I asked him about building my own PC he went into all kinds of shit I can't even remember half of which. But a lot of it technical, as oppose to my one friend who built his PC with his brother by ordering a few parts.

I was referring to my post addressing THAT one where I said " I know, it's called sarcasm" post...5 words. At any rate, all semantics aside I think we've both made our points regarding that...

Well, I'll respectfully disagree with ya here. I don't see how my argument is poorly constructed when most of my reasoning is true. More stuff to set up, often some differences from console versions(I mean updates etc, stick players and PC etc. I mean is this incorrect?) The only thing I said which I admit I should have been more specific is the controller points, yes you can always use a PC bought one that's more traditional or use an Xbox controller. I get that, but everything else from set ups to just being logical at an event when that genre and fanbase clearly doesn't support the PC I shall still keep my stance on. Also, I noticed you said "not that's not the reasons" yet you haven't actually listed your reasons why "MK X isn't played as the standard or fighters in general on the PC"

May as well agree to disagree with me at this point because while I respect your view, I'm not changing mine and we all know already MK X won't be played on the PC.

I was just pointing out relevant part of the message. "Easy", "smart", "tech savvy"... It's too broad and doesn't mean much when you face details. No point arguing semantics.

Of course I mean Playstation. GG and SF5 are / are going to be PS exclusive. If you want those games, you have to use PS.

Well, my point was that whatever is standard shouldn't mean much as far as my understanding goes, unless there are differences in builds for different platforms. Otherwise you should be able to come and play regardless of the platform with some preparations.
And btw I don't see PC being convenient to use for events as well.
Ok fair enough, I was merely referring to strictly PC spec stuff but I see what you're saying.

Ah ok, cool. I thought that's what you meant just wanted to make sure. That's true, it's also unfortunate for fans of those games who may not have a PS4 but what are you going to do right?

Ok, ok fair enough man I agree. I think as far as MKX is concerned I'm sure there will be the Xbox, PS and PC players. For events I feel the same way, I don't see events, tourneys etc being played on the PC either as the standard.

Last edited:

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
Best to wait and see if either version is superior to the other.

There will be plenty of chances for MKX to be on either system because TOs will have KI and eventually SFV around, which are both console exclusives.

As for arcade stick woes, to be blunt, if you want to play badly enough you will save up and buy or mod a stick or pad in order to play on the standard console. Using the superior version of the game, if indeed one exists this time, takes precedence over previous player investments in hardware.

Last edited:
With PS4 being the stronger of the two consoles and more fighting games coming to it (SFV, Guilty Gear Xrd, Ultra SFIV, etc), it really is only common sense to go with PS4 especially since EVO cast their lot on the debate.

Monox1de

Noob
The new tournament standard will be PC after 1 year. here is my reasoning
1. MKX is fucking awesome and is gonna explode
2. a PC that can run MKX is nearly the same price point as ps4/xb1
3. There will be more characters on the pc versions after they hack all the NPCs.
4. you already pay your ISP for internet. Why have to pay a seperate bill for a console to connect to it when a PC will for free like it should be.(relevant for tournies incase of patching)
5. PC is master race plain and simple.
6. Top tier will exist only on PC because Kabal is a NPC and won't exist on the console versions.
7.4k resolution!?!? nah who gives a shit.
8. ps4 will be the most compatible and reasonable choice for tournies.
9. Atleast we're not debating about Macintosh being the superior choice for tournies.
10. PC is still the master race. Add me on steam ;) 5.5 days

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The new tournament standard will be PC after 1 year. here is my reasoning
1. MKX is fucking awesome and is gonna explode
Not an argument for PC specifically.

2. a PC that can run MKX is nearly the same price point as ps4/xb1
Just a single video card that falls under "Recommended" specs of the game covers like 2/3 of PS4 price.

3. There will be more characters on the pc versions after they hack all the NPCs.
And do you think people will make that tournament standard?
Community banned Kratos due to platform parity - which will be exactly the case if hacked characters will be PC only. Also community never allowed boss characters in MK9 even though some players actually showcased them and they ended being polarizing at best.

4. you already pay your ISP for internet. Why have to pay a seperate bill for a console to connect to it when a PC will for free like it should be.(relevant for tournies incase of patching)
Well, cannot argue here.

5. PC is master race plain and simple.
6. Top tier will exist only on PC because Kabal is a NPC and won't exist on the console versions.
Lol.

7.4k resolution!?!? nah who gives a shit.
Exactly, sarcasm is misplaced.

8. ps4 will be the most compatible and reasonable choice for tournies.
Compatible - perhaps. Reasonable? If you want more than just MKX, Skullgirls and Divekick for your event, then no.

9. Atleast we're not debating about Macintosh being the superior choice for tournies.
10. PC is still the master race. Add me on steam ;) 5.5 days
Eh.

Monox1de

Noob
Not an argument for PC specifically.
I thought my sarcasm on the whole post was clearer than it actually was.

Just a single video card that falls under "Recommended" specs of the game covers like 2/3 of PS4 price.
You are correct.

And do you think people will make that tournament standard?
Community banned Kratos due to platform parity - which will be exactly the case if hacked characters will be PC only. Also community never allowed boss characters in MK9 even though some players actually showcased them and they ended being polarizing at best.
I agree with you again.

Well, cannot argue here.
Yay, Bills suck. seems we agree on some more things.

Fuckin Kabal

Exactly, sarcasm is misplaced.
If only i placed the sarcasm correctly maybe everyone would realize that almost the entire post was sarcasm (which was stupid of me to think people would get sarcasm without knowing me or my pessimistic personality).
My bad. I am relatively new to posting here.

Compatible - perhaps. Reasonable? If you want more than just MKX, Skullgirls and Divekick for your event, then no.
I thought the title of the thread was referring to MKX standard not FGC standard. It also says console standard and PC's are not consoles.

Sick self burn.

exactly.

I truly wasn't trying to argue for PC to be tourney standard. Ps4 though FOR CERTAIN should be the standard for MKX. We shouldn't have to buy new sticks/pads/converters on top of the new consoles or upgraded PCs and what ever else needed to just play the game from home and be able to participate in any potential tournaments. Plus i don't own a ps4 or xb1. I have a pc and a ps3 stick and as long as tournaments use ps4 for mkx i am all set. Motivation comes from my wallet more than any real reasoning.