What's new

Mortal Kombat X - Tournament Console Standard?

What console should be major tournament standard for Mortal Kombat X?

• Total voters

Tim Static

Adminerator
You can speculate all you want but this won't be answered until probably Summer. Maybe sooner if one version has a glaring problem from the start. Both consoles will have specific games to be at just about every major tourney, so the consoles will be available. The next question is what kind of controller you will use, and getting your sticks dual modded for both.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
PS4, not even a choice unless they are going to float the idea of running it on PC...which I don't envision at all.

Kidigital

@KdashDigital/Raiko Digital
At KI tournaments the x1 controller is super easy to disconnect and reconnect. That's a non issue.

How about a non bias opinion.

The controller issue is not ann issue because people mostly use sticks anyways. And many times they are dual modded to work for multiple systems. TOs will likely stick with xbox for a number of reasons.

1) KI has started the snowball for xbox.
2) Why buy more systems that don't match when the same one can be used for multiple games?
3) xbox is the current standard for fighters because of the lackluster performance of ps3. History is likely to repeat itself.
The only problem with this statement is the dual mod. that would mean your dual mod would work for ps4 because mk uses ps3 and ps4 sticks correct? I don't see why it would be stick specific. I'm sure wired controllers will work as well. on the other hand I may not have done good enough research but im pretty sure one won't allow 360 controllers. If it does that is awesome but if the only thing holding some players back from playing ps4 is a cheap converter that's silly. Considering we would have to purchase a stick for an xbox one specifically. Three is also an unfair argument imo because one could just argue that there is more room for improvement for the ps4 as far as learning from their mistakes. From what i can tell so far the system has not shown any significant bugs or game changing factors that ruin the experience for multi-platformed fighting games. Doa last round for instance is run on ps4 regularly. Reason 1 is also not fair because you if you are using an exclusive game as an example, I purchased a ps4 with street fighter 5 in mind so why not kill two birds with one stone. Not knocking KI but Capcom has proven time and time again to have consistently large turn outs for competitive play so i think from a TO's perspective it is a smart investment.The disconnect thing has proven to be a problem unfortunately. hitting the xmb during match made any set a bitch to play out especially when you were winning. No intent to start some console war nonsense but ps4 seems more logical to me. Especially if we all wait until the game drops and test it on both systems accordingly but i honestly doubt anything outside of region lock will change the experience on ps4. especially sense there is no kratos.

I really hope there aren't ps4 specific bugs though lol. I would rather not eat my words.

(edit) I also use street fighter 5 as an example because we all know it will cause an inevitable ps4 snowball anyways. (In regards to your #1)

Last edited:

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Let's make it very simple.

Guilty Gear and SFV are PS exclusives. TO's will want as little hassle as possible. Therefore, PS4 unless there's an issuing with running MKX properly but that shouldn't be the case

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
While I only own an Xbone i think PS4 is the go-to if ps3 sticks will work for PS4 MKX, less hassle and will save some entrants the money of modding their sticks.
As it was also mentioned there's more fighters on PS4s in general so it'll be easier on TOs.

Hini

Batomancer
You must not read much about DOTA and WOW issues then.I know tons of friends who've played or play both, tell me issues with people modding, hacking their stats daily
Your friends have problems then, tell to stop using weird sites and opening bullshit emails. If youd like some anecdotal experience I havent used an anti-virus or firewall for the last 10 years of playing wow and dota and never been hacked, and yet this is happening to them daily, how the fuck is that even possible.

Tell them to lock their bike or at least not leave it in weird ass neighbourhoods.

I know it's possible on consoles, however the difference is next to nobody does it because you get kicked off/banned from net play if you do so Meanwhile, in PC games people can just use VPNs, proxies etc and get back on there the same day...as I said.
No reasonable person would ever use a VPN to get around a ban to play, the ping would be unbearable.

For one, games have frozen, have frame rate issues in mid gameplay among the other issues I mentioned. You're talking about PC in concept itself, I'm talking about specific games on PC.
This happens on consoles as well though.

I'm talking untouched MK, Smash, tekken, SF, KI etc, etc being held on PC.
Ofc this doesnt and will never happen because it hasnt been until recently when fighting games have started to get released on pc to begin with, thats not argument for wether a console is better for that type of gameplay or not.

Plus, not for nothing but a lot of controllers for PC tend to be generic. They don't feel as good in your hands as a SNES, PS or even Xbox One controller.
You can literally use a ps or xbox controller for your pc, what in the fucking fuck.

Hini

Batomancer
In terms of tech? Debatable, since consoles now are so powerful. I'm sure it's easier for PC yes. I believe they for the most part always had the edge there, but NOW days? Not so sure. It's closer at least. Actually, not always the case with PC games freezing, it's also the games fault for glitching too you know til patched. Has nothing to do with the PC, sure that is the case SOMETIMES but not all the time....you act like PC is perfect, ha. Hardly.
Ofc the console is closer to a pc in terms of power now, they just got relesed, look again in 3-4 years. Eventually however there wont be that much of a gap in tech.

Take MK, Injustice for example. There is hardly any differences in graphical power, if anything the PC versions have had more problems, glitches than the console versions.
Ofc there isnt any difference in graphics and ofc there are glitches, because the game was developed for the console and then ported to the pc by other people than the ones who developed for the console.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The only problem with this statement is the dual mod. that would mean your dual mod would work for ps4 because mk uses ps3 and ps4 sticks correct? I don't see why it would be stick specific. I'm sure wired controllers will work as well. on the other hand I may not have done good enough research but im pretty sure one won't allow 360 controllers. If it does that is awesome but if the only thing holding some players back from playing ps4 is a cheap converter that's silly. Considering we would have to purchase a stick for an xbox one specifically. Three is also an unfair argument imo because one could just argue that there is more room for improvement for the ps4 as far as learning from their mistakes. From what i can tell so far the system has not shown any significant bugs or game changing factors that ruin the experience for multi-platformed fighting games. Doa last round for instance is run on ps4 regularly. Reason 1 is also not fair because you if you are using an exclusive game as an example, I purchased a ps4 with street fighter 5 in mind so why not kill two birds with one stone. Not knocking KI but Capcom has proven time and time again to have consistently large turn outs for competitive play so i think from a TO's perspective it is a smart investment.The disconnect thing has proven to be a problem unfortunately. hitting the xmb during match made any set a bitch to play out especially when you were winning. No intent to start some console war nonsense but ps4 seems more logical to me. Especially if we all wait until the game drops and test it on both systems accordingly but i honestly doubt anything outside of region lock will change the experience on ps4. especially sense there is no kratos.

I really hope there aren't ps4 specific bugs though lol. I would rather not eat my words.

(edit) I also use street fighter 5 as an example because we all know it will cause an inevitable ps4 snowball anyways. (In regards to your #1)
I made that post in August 2014. Lmao please look at the dates and then realize all the things you just said came to light way down the road. Your post is correct today, April 2015, 8 months later. I concede and better yet, don't care cause I have always played on xbox and purchased any converters necessary to compete.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol @ the PC would be "perfect" I highly doubt that considering the many issues with MK 9, Injustice, SF4 etc on PC.

Your friends have problems then, tell to stop using weird sites and opening bullshit emails. If youd like some anecdotal experience I havent used an anti-virus or firewall for the last 10 years of playing wow and dota and never been hacked, and yet this is happening to them daily, how the fuck is that even possible.

Tell them to lock their bike or at least not leave it in weird ass neighbourhoods.

No reasonable person would ever use a VPN to get around a ban to play, the ping would be unbearable.

This happens on consoles as well though.

Ofc this doesnt and will never happen because it hasnt been until recently when fighting games have started to get released on pc to begin with, thats not argument for wether a console is better for that type of gameplay or not.

You can literally use a ps or xbox controller for your pc, what in the fucking fuck.
I'm pretty sure my friends are fine, considering the fact that they're experts on PC tech and literally build their own computers...what does firewalls etc have to do with other doucebags on line cheating, modding etc? Also, they don't have bikes. One takes PT(like myself) to most places and the other has a car, 2010 Camaro to be exact. Besides, you'd only need to worry about actually chaining your bike in a ghetto or bad hood. I should know, I live in NYC. Thankfully my neighborhood is good.

Your choice and opinion, others I've known have uses VPNs and said proxies are garbage, I know from personal experience regarding site bans. VPNS are best, gaming just going by what many others tell me(not just my friends but people online in general)

Yes, I don't recall ever saying it doesn't happen on consoles. Lag in general happens on everything when you play online. Be it consoles or the mighty PC.

I'm talking tournament standard here regarding consoles over PC which is all that matters when a fighter hits that's popular, nobody is going to be playing tourneys on PC. It's too much work, requires more maintanence etc. Even streamers on here who do tourneys said that several times in past topics regarding tourneys, which console should hold MK, Injustice, KI etc tourneys.

Yes, I'm aware of that thanks. I was talking about PC controllers and KB as a controller.

Regarding PC vs. Console power, that's my point. 10 years ago it wasn't even debatable or close, obviously PC was way superior. Now days however, just saying consoles have improved vastly so it's more comparable then it used to be. Yes, transitions or porting to console to PC or vice versa tends to have glitches at times, point is to those "PC Master race" people, sometimes games even have issues on PC, yet some will act as if it's perfect.

Last edited:

Kidigital

@KdashDigital/Raiko Digital
I made that post in August 2014. Lmao please look at the dates and then realize all the things you just said came to light way down the road. Your post is correct today, April 2015, 8 months later. I concede and better yet, don't care cause I have always played on xbox and purchased any converters necessary to compete.
I sincerely apologize. I just saw it was front page and assumed. Now I feel like an ass haha sorry about that.

Hini

Batomancer
I'm pretty sure my friends are fine, considering the fact that they're experts on PC tech and literally build their own computers
Building your own pc is fucking high school level.

what does firewalls etc have to do with other doucebags on line cheating, modding etc?
The wording was ambiguos so I misunderstood. Regardless I havent met someone hacking online since I played cs source in 2004, stories about PC games being riddled with hackers are vastly exaggerated.

Also, they don't have bikes. One takes PT(like myself) to most places and the other has a car, 2010 Camaro to be exact. Besides, you'd only need to worry about actually chaining your bike in a ghetto or bad hood. I should know, I live in NYC. Thankfully my neighborhood is good.
Its. An. Analogy.

Goddamnit someone save me.

MKF30

Building your own pc is fucking high school level.

The wording was ambiguos so I misunderstood. Regardless I havent met someone hacking online since I played cs source in 2004, stories about PC games being riddled with hackers are vastly exaggerated.

Its. An. Analogy.

Goddamnit someone save me.

Really? So does that mean everyone post H.S. level builds computers? Gee...didn't know that. Thanks for that information. I'll be sure to ask everyone I know if they build their computers or just bought a good one. In all seriousness, it depends on the person, computer and what you're using it for. I know plenty of smart people who don't know how to built a computer because they don't game on it or care to have "an uber cool computer" like some people apparently have.

Uh huh, right well there's always that one loser who will do anything to get an edge especially when it comes to online, all I'm saying. I'm not saying everyone does it, but they exist.

I know, it's called sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hini

Batomancer
Really? So does that mean everyone post H.S. level builds computers? Gee...didn't know that. Thanks for that information. I'll be sure to ask everyone I know if they build their computers or just bought a good one. In all seriousness, it depends on the person, computer and what you're using it for. I know plenty of smart people who don't know how to built a computer because they don't game on it or care to have "an uber cool computer" like some people apparently have.
And not everyone knows how to drive, or swim, or calculus. Thats not what saying its high school level mean, it means it not very complicated, and that being able to build a computer is a bad argument for being an expert on computers. I know the multiplication table, would you call me an expert on mathematics?

Uh huh, right well there's always that one loser who will do anything to get an edge especially when it comes to online, all I'm saying. I'm not saying everyone does it, but they exist.
And I'm saying that one person out of a hundred thousand being a shithead is a bad excuse for a system being good or not. I dont even care either way about this console vs pc thing, I do care that your arguments are poorly informed.

I know, it's called sarcasm.
You should work on that some more then.

MKF30

And not everyone knows how to drive, or swim, or calculus. Thats not what saying its high school level mean, it means it not very complicated, and that being able to build a computer is a bad argument for being an expert on computers. I know the multiplication table, would you call me an expert on mathematics?

And I'm saying that one person out of a hundred thousand being a shithead is a bad excuse for a system being good or not. I dont even care either way about this console vs pc thing, I do care that your arguments are poorly informed.

You should work on that some more then.
Yes, my point is not everyone builds computers nor knows how regardless if you think it's "high school level" or not. What's easy for one person may be difficult for someone else. That was my point.

That was merely one example of why I prefer consoles over PC. Well, Xbox in this case I can't speak on PS4 behalf since I don't have it, my friend has everything so I play them at his place when I visit. Xbox anyway unlike PC, doesn't allow mods, cheating online. If you do it, you're BANNED from the system. Period. And rightfully so, people are dishing out 60 bucks a year for live. PC it's not so simple to do such, someone gets banned there's a few ways around it. Then you're clearly not understanding or comprehending my argument if you feel that way. It's pretty straight forward what I'm saying.

Or perhaps you could learn what wit and sarcasm is? You say you don't care about "console vs. PC" yet you responded to me what, for something I said pages ago?

This is going in circles....it's obvious we don't agree, so you play on the PC, I'll play on Xbox One.

Last edited:

JustinXavier21

The rose that grew from concrete
I'll be running on PS4 for UK events...I guess that's kind of important as I seem to be the only TO that gives a genuine damn about the long term future of the game:
- Matches EVO standard
- Matches the launch events standard
- Allows for PS3 sticks or currently dual modded sticks/pads/hitboxes/converters to work which makes it much more appealing to the wider FGC
- Already gotta invest in them for SFV and GGxrd

The only thing that sucks is that the ESL stuff is on Xbox One (seems like they already have some commitment to deliver via Microsoft)...Either way, PS4 is by far the better option right now. I imagine the top players may eventually pick up PS4 + PC at some point, but any split is going to damage the scene in the long run...

Hype all the same!

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
X1 runs 1080p as well
No it doesn't it runs 720p I have nothing against the X1 hell all games that will be on both x1 and ps4 will always look the same since it has to be optimized, but I'm sorry bro, ps4 has 1080p and x1 has 720p, that is a fact. And even though it is only 720p, the games on there look fuckimg gorgeous so I don't think that at that point the resolution matters

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
No it doesn't it runs 720p I have nothing against the X1 hell all games that will be on both x1 and ps4 will always look the same since it has to be optimized, but I'm sorry bro, ps4 has 1080p and x1 has 720p, that is a fact. And even though it is only 720p, the games on there look fuckimg gorgeous so I don't think that at that point the resolution matters

It actually depends on the game. Most run at 900 some run at 1080. Its all dependent on how the developer wants to use their resources. It becomes a balance of resolution vs frame rate. For MKX both ps4 and xbox one will run the game at the same resolution.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yes, my point is not everyone builds computers nor knows how regardless if you think it's "high school level" or not. What's easy for one person may be difficult for someone else. That was my point.
That's absolutely besides the point whether it's hard or not. Knowledge that you need to build your PC doesn't translate in any way into your ability to identify online game hacks or to properly protect your system from outside threats for that matter. The inverse is also true.

That said, I have no idea why is this even relevant. In the end you pick one that can accommodate most players. This means mostly controller support and lack of glitches in relevant builds of the game. Another point is available games. If you're running an event with MKX and KI, it's not going to be PS, probably. If you want SF5 and GG... Well, you get the idea.

Players should just make sure they can use their controller with whatever platform there is, I'm sure there is one way or another to do that with most of devices. I'm not sure if it's possible for keyboard warriors, but it's not like this community cares :p

...but really, wasn't there a way to make them work anyway?

Hini

Batomancer
No you illustrated that your friends were very coumputer tech savvy people with the argument that they can "build their own computers", and I'm saying thats a very poor argument because it doesnt translate very well to other areas of expertise within computers.

That was merely one example of why I prefer consoles over PC. Well, Xbox in this case I can't speak on PS4 behalf since I don't have it, my friend has everything so I play them at his place when I visit. Xbox anyway unlike PC, doesn't allow mods, cheating online. If you do it, you're BANNED from the system. Period. And rightfully so, people are dishing out 60 bucks a year for live. PC it's not so simple to do such, someone gets banned there's a few ways around it. Then you're clearly not understanding or comprehending my argument if you feel that way. It's pretty straight forward what I'm saying.
I completely understand your argument, and I find it a poor excuse for an argument against PC.

Or perhaps you could learn what wit and sarcasm is? You say you don't care about "console vs. PC" yet you responded to me what, for something I said pages ago?
Brevity is the soul of wit, and you certainly werent brief.

My point isnt that PC is better than console (I have and use a console myslef), I dont give a shit, I'm calling you out on your very poor arguments.