What's new

General/Other - Jax MKX & Jax: Review So Far (No Spoilers)

This is the kind of info I was hoping to see. Thanks!

Sounds to me like you'll still be able to dash cancel juggle, just you'll have to press block once to run first, and the length will be limited by the stam bar. cool. Spacing with flinching forward and cancelling into a block sounds like it will work as well, just you'll have to press block twice bcause you'll run. effectively, run cancel is the new dash cancel, no?

I like all of these things besides throwing and tech mechanics. oh well. minor gripe. I noticed the JIP wiffing a ton in the streams yesterday as well. This game gon be good.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Stamina takes 3 seconds to start regenerating whenever its used, one does not simply backdash iafb back dash, the time it will take to regen all will be a vulnerable spot along the gameplay development.
NRS have a history of IAFBs that move you backwards twice: when you jump back to execute one and when it moves you away once projectile is launched as well. All you need are initial backdashes to gain distance this way. And then there are moves that you can sneak into rotation to push opponent back as well.

That said, it's all hypothetical at this point. I mean, I'm not sure why would NRS put so much effort in making various kits with all kinda of reaching attacks only to get them phased out by some IAFB masterrace dude obsoleting them in a gentlemanly F23 way on nearest event that you'd expect to draw some positive attention to your game, for example.

Sounds to me like you'll still be able to dash cancel juggle, just you'll have to press block once to run first, and the length will be limited by the stam bar. cool.
Pointless as you can just cancel into a normal as far as I understand.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Hoo boy there gonna be quite some complaining at launch.
Under which circumstances it triggers though?
He doesn't mean automatic as in it just starts up by itself. He measn automatic as in once you land the grab Jax will automatically punch the opponent in the face like in MK9. In MKX he has a variation where he can choose how to attack after landing the grab, making it a manual follow up attack.

I never played MK9, so some nooby questions I guess: How do you escape from throws in this game? Do you need to press throw as well at the same time? Do throws have a direction so you need to choose which direction to go? Can you option select like in VF for example?

Thanks in advance :)

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
He doesn't mean automatic as in it just starts up by itself. He measn automatic as in once you land the grab Jax will automatically punch the opponent in the face like in MK9. In MKX he has a variation where he can choose how to attack after landing the grab, making it a manual follow up attack.
Ah, so it basically means there are no extenders for it in that variation? Get it.

I never played MK9, so some nooby questions I guess: How do you escape from throws in this game? Do you need to press throw as well at the same time? Do throws have a direction so you need to choose which direction to go? Can you option select like in VF for example?

Thanks in advance :)
It's in the OP.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Are there block strings that
Involve running? Like for example 112-run-21-run-d4

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
NRS have a history of IAFBs that move you backwards twice: when you jump back to execute one and when it moves you away once projectile is launched as well. All you need are initial backdashes to gain distance this way. And then there are moves that you can sneak into rotation to push opponent back as well.

That said, it's all hypothetical at this point. I mean, I'm not sure why would NRS put so much effort in making various kits with all kinda of reaching attacks only to get them phased out by some IAFB masterrace dude obsoleting them in a gentlemanly F23 way on nearest event that you'd expect to draw some positive attention to your game, for example.
There is no such move in the game... yet.

By far the best you can get is Erron Black Carabine walk away gun shots that its a 3 hit combo fullscreen and a 3 hit blockstring fullscreen, besides his tools allows him to do so, but character with teleport as far as it looks are his weakness.

I haven't checked a iafb masterrace in the game... yet, movement is still a important aspect of the game if not the most dominant, randomly firing projectiles might get you no where, either it has landing frames or there another type of penalty.

Scorpion safe jump telecancel drains all stamina, ia projectiles have landing recovery frames, game has running, jump attacks have recovery animations and landing frames.

It doesn't stop the barrage but acts like a cooldown giving time to the grounded opponent to execute counters, even 16bit who was doing a kitana string, canceling into fan flap into air fan, that move was punishable on block the the landing recovery frames.

If you can cancel some normals with running will make some sick combos existence though.

Pointless as you can just cancel into a normal as far as I understand.
If you are running, yes you can cancel into a normal. You can't cancel a dash with a normal, so instead of dash cancelling, you'll run cancel for the same effect. that's what I meant.

Question about throws. Does EX throw give enough frame advantage to combo off the EX throw, or is it just a stand up state for a mix up attempt?

If you can combo off it, it's completely retarded that throws are still 50/50. I hope that's not the case.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Wakeups: If your try to wake up in this game thinking ur move will have invincibility without meter GUESS AGAIN!, you will get blown up by a well timed meaty every time u try to wake up with a meter less special.

Command Throws: Characters like Kano & Jax have unblockable command throws even without meter.
so it isnt like inj were a char had a designated wakeup move that was given invincibility, its just "if u want some inv frames, burn the meter". im a fiend for wakeups lol but id like if the system was like that

also whats the story with mileena's ravenous command grabs?? ive heard mixed things on unblockable/blockable

Does a blocked jumpin still guarantee a blockstring? Also does it make high attacks jail into mids like they did in mk9?
Deep jump in kicks no longer work in MKX like they did in MK9, u will not be guaranteed a block string after having ur jump in blocked, and if ur opponent blocks a jump in and u go straight into a high it won't jail, I seen this quite a few times with Lao.

What's your impression of the walk speeds? And since there isn't dash blocking, what about walk blocking? Walk/block/walk/block/walk/block etc.
Walk speeds are great, some have slightly better walk speeds then others, but not too bad of an advantage, walk blocking in MKX is great no problem at all.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
If you are running, yes you can cancel into a normal. You can't cancel a dash with a normal, so instead of dash cancelling, you'll run cancel for the same effect. that's what I meant.
Yeah, that's pretty much it then, apparently.

Question about throws. Does EX throw give enough frame advantage to combo off the EX throw, or is it just a stand up state for a mix up attempt?

If you can combo off it, it's completely retarded that throws are still 50/50. I hope that's not the case.
People said here that they are +0 IIRC.

There is no such move in the game... yet.

By far the best you can get is Erron Black Carabine walk away gun shots that its a 3 hit combo fullscreen and a 3 hit blockstring fullscreen, besides his tools allows him to do so, but character with teleport as far as it looks are his weakness.

I haven't checked a iafb masterrace in the game... yet, movement is still a important aspect of the game if not the most dominant, randomly firing projectiles might get you no where, either it has landing frames or there another type of penalty.

Scorpion safe jump telecancel drains all stamina, ia projectiles have landing recovery frames, game has running, jump attacks have recovery animations and landing frames.

It doesn't stop the barrage but acts like a cooldown giving time to the grounded opponent to execute counters, even 16bit who was doing a kitana string, canceling into fan flap into air fan, that move was punishable on block the the landing recovery frames.

If you can cancel some normals with running will make some sick combos existence though.
Everything sounds pretty good actually. Thanks!

I read the OP, it didn't quite explain it. Also nothing there on option selects.
My bad. Here's the thread you want: http://testyourmight.com/threads/got-the-game-early-q-a-about-subzero-moveset-etc-no-story-spoilers.49548/

so it isnt like inj were a char had a designated wakeup move that was given invincibility, its just "if u want some inv frames, burn the meter". im a fiend for wakeups lol but id like if the system was like that

also whats the story with mileena's ravenous command grabs?? ive heard mixed things on unblockable/blockable
Basically the only way ur gonna get away with a meter less wake up is if someone mis times a meaty, otherwise ur gonna have to use meter to override a meaty attack. Now I can't say this is across the board but from the characters I did play that's what its looking like NRS adjusted.

As far as mileena only played against ethernal, haven't seen her ravenous much.

Regarding IAFB in this game, they will not be able to be done as rapidly as in MK9 or maybe even at all for that matter, for example when star charger tried to go into Kitanas IAFBs he was not able to because of the animation and recover of fan on whiff and hit, when Kitana lands a fan she slightly floats up when it connects, so it doesn't give u enough time to land and do another one for a follow up IAF, I mean IAF are present just u won't be able to spam and do them back to back, its more like ( IAF land+ wait+ IAF land+ wait)

AssassiN

Noob
Regarding IAFB in this game, they will not be able to be done as rapidly as in MK9 or maybe even at all for that matter, for example when star charger tried to go into Kitanas IAFBs he was not able to because of the animation and recover of fan on whiff and hit, when Kitana lands a fan she slightly floats up when it connects, so it doesn't give u enough time to land and do another one for a follow up IAF, I mean IAF are present just u won't be able to spam and do them back to back, its more like ( IAF land+ wait+ IAF land+ wait)
You have no idea how happy this makes me.
Thank you Scar for the info.