What's new

General/Other - Jax MKX & Jax: Review So Far (No Spoilers)

So after getting quite some time in with the game I just wanted to go over the feel of the new game and give you an idea of what to expect when u get your hands on MKX. So let's get straight into it.

Movement:
This is big thing and very diff from MK9 super weird atm, if u are expecting to jump into MKX and be doing godlike combos, and footsies just because u played MK9 think again.

F Dashes: Slightly longer animations then MK9 and can be punished if read

B Dashes: Has invincibility frames and cost 50% stamina each dash.

Throws: 50/50 just like MK9, you will have to make a read on which way your opponent will throw u.

F (F+R2) (The Run Button) This is where movement will get weird,and alot of ppl will be accidently running when trying to just F Dash Block (MK9), basically u do the input above to activate run button, and to cancel run u hit R2 to immediately block, if u don't cancel run with R2 your character will automatically run till their stamina run out and u will be subjectable to a punish. I mostly used run to close distance on my opponent immediately after a knock, runs can be canceled into a normal, jump in, special move, but not a NJP.

How Combos Work: Totally diff from MK9 since dash cancel is no longer present, combos will have to be followed up by run cancels (which is easier said then done) and NJP's, I found myself playing more footsies, and staying grounded then in MK9..and I will explain why.

Jump In's: Feels super floaty in MKX, will easily get blown up by D2's, so u will want to open ur opponent up with footsies and spacing mostly.

Jump in Punches: JIP's whiff easily if u try to execute them too high, they do not have tight tracking like they did in MK9, so u will have to input it more late.

D1 anti airs: Tried once but did not succeed, if this even carries any weight anymore on cross up jump ins is still yet to be determined

Wakeups: If your try to wake up in this game thinking ur move will have invincibility without meter GUESS AGAIN!, you will get blown up by a well timed meaty every time u try to wake up with a meter less special.

Command Throws: Characters like Kano & Jax have unblockable command throws even without meter.

Double Ko: If 2 characters kill each other at the same time the game simple gives each player an extended length of life immedietly let's them continue to fight, this can catch u off guard since it happens so fast so never let ur guard down.

String Interuption: Strings can still be interrupted with armor in MKX.

Air Breakers: Not as positive as in MK9, u can't air breaker and get in on ur opponent for a quick d3 quick stand

Jax (Wrestler variation)
Gains Air Back Breaker
Multi Slam
Automatic Gotcha Grab
Various Wrestler Strings

Ex Multi Slam (has armor) : Inputs have changed from MKX it is now: square, triangle, x, circle, then all 5 buttons, has to be well timed.

Multi Slam DBF 1 (2hits): triangle

Note: You can choose which side u want the grab to end on, on both versions of multi slam, also multi slam command grab has very short reach so u will have to be right up on ur opponent to get it.

Dash Punch (High): Still punishable on whiff like MK9

Dash Punch (Overhead) Hella Quick!, travels nice distance, and can be comboed in the corner, mid screen does not allow follow up, but hella unsafe on block

EX Dash P Overhead: Recovers more quickly on hit for follow up, dont know how safe it is on block

Jaxs MK9 F4: In MKX it is now his B4 (sweep) and can't be comboed into, but is still a hella good normal.

EX Gotcha Grab: Has armor and can be used as a AA, can be combo in the corner, and used as a wakeup.

Rising Knee BF 4 (DP) great AA move to catch jump ins

EX Rising Knee: Good wake up option

Air Back Breaker: Can still be linked from a JIK.

D3: Toned down from MK9, u can't spam this move anymore to try to dictate pressure, has a slight pause when connected.

D4: Decent reach, and nice option on footsies

Energy wave DB2: Can now be held down, but not dash cancelable

Ex Energy wave: Can be held down, but not dash cancelable, releases 2 shots, high and a mid

Note: Jaxes projectile is hella good this time around, much better then MK9

Ground Pound: Can no longer be canceled ( at least not in this variation) can still choose where u want it to hit

Wrestler variation strings: Jax has 2 special strings in this variation that allows for him to use his spine buster move from MK9 starts off mid and goes into a command throw which can be blocked.

Jax (Pumped Up)
Gains Unblockable (full screen) GP
Gains Air Drill Slam (unblockable)
Tremor DD4 (unblockable)
Super Gotcha Grab (command input)
Extreme Gotcha Grab ( command input)

Jax pretty much retains all his normal moves and strings except air grab, and 2 unique strings & specials he had from wrestler variation.

Super Gotcha grab: Allows the user to input a series of command inputs to up the damage on the gotcha grab, got to like 17% damage may be higher

Extreme Gotcha Grab (MB): Jax delivers a more brutal beatdown in this version, I connected like 10 hits off this thing, it hurts, landing this gives a nice chunk of damage

Ground Pound: Jax uses both hands to hulk smash the ground sending a full screen unblockable shockwave towards the opponent, this version of GP is slightly faster then other variations

Ex GP: Unblockable, does more damage

Air Drill Slam: don't know what this does, always forgot to use it lol.

TidBits:
-Winning animations after fights can be skipped
- Matches can be immediately restarted mid match
- Controller presets can be changed at character select screen
-Match rounds can be extended up to best of 5 i think, only tried up to 4

Well that's all I got for now, I'll answer questions to the best of my ability if there is any.

Last edited:

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Does there happen to be any frame data on the "run" button.

Edit - How many universal wake up options are there, like normal/delayed?

Thanks in advance!

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
It's more so my turn to block, your turn, my turn, your turn rather than his turn, his turn again because there are like no plus strings right?

This is one of those things that make you go "They really listened to us on a lot of things..."

Good stuff to hear! I know Showtime was with you guys. Did he use Reptile any? And if so, what's his opinion on him?
I got quite a few matches in against reptile, the initial thoughts by show was that he was ass, very meter dependent on force balls, and that force balls are not as good as they were in MK9 because of the start up.

So far it doesn't appear reptile has a string that allows him to whiff dash cancel into NJP like in mk9, also EX acid can no longer be held out and expanded to catch jump ins like MK9.

Reptile has some overhead starter normals, but I don't think they can be comboed.
Ex Dash (No Armor)
Ex Slide (Armor)
D4( Good)
Obnoxious variation with acid puddle: Very good for chip damage

Gonna take till after the game to released to see just how viable reptile really is.

Reptile Nimble: Reptile can't block when this is activated and it lasts 5 secs, also the startup is slow so u gonna wanna have some distance before activating it.

It's more so my turn to block, your turn, my turn, your turn rather than his turn, his turn again because there are like no plus strings right?
There are strings that are plus, so it can be my turn my turn, but that's only if the opponent doesn't decide to back dash, keep in mind back dash now has invisibility frames, if u think they are gonna back dash then u can time a move more meaty to catch the back dash.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Regarding what you mentioned about wakeups getting beat by meaties, are there only two options on wake up that are universal for the roster (normal and delayed get up)?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
So after getting quite some time in with the game I just wanted to go over the feel of the new game and give you an idea of what to expect when u get your hands on MKX. So let's get straight into it.

Movement:
This is big thing and very diff from MK9 super weird atm, if u are expecting to jump into MKX and be doing godlike combos, and footsies just because u played MK9 think again.

F Dashes: Slightly longer animations then MK9 and can be punished if read

B Dashes: Has invincibility frames and cost 50% stamina each dash.

Throws: 50/50 just like MK9, you will have to make a read on which way your opponent will throw u.

F (F+R2) (The Run Button) This is where movement will get weird,and alot of ppl will be accidently running when trying to just F Dash Block (MK9), basically u do the input above to activate run button, and to cancel run u hit R2 to immediately block, if u don't cancel run with R2 your character will automatically run till their stamina run out and u will be subjectable to a punish. I mostly used run to close distance on my opponent immediately after a knock, runs can be canceled into a normal, jump in, special move, but not a NJP.

How Combos Work: Totally diff from MK9 since dash cancel is no longer present, combos will have to be followed up by run cancels (which is easier said then done) and NJP's, I found myself playing more footsies, and staying grounded then in MK9..and I will explain why.

Jump In's: Feels super floaty in MKX, will easily get blown up by D2's, so u will want to open ur opponent up with footsies and spacing mostly.

Jump in Punches: JIP's whiff easily if u try to execute them too high, they do not have tight tracking like they did in MK9, so u will have to input it more late.

D1 anti airs: Tried once but did not succeed, if this even carries any weight anymore on cross up jump ins is still yet to be determined

Wakeups: If your try to wake up in this game thinking ur move will have invincibility without meter GUESS AGAIN!, you will get blown up by a well timed meaty every time u try to wake up with a meter less special.

Command Throws: Characters like Kano & Jax have unblockable command throws even without meter.

Double Ko: If 2 characters kill each other at the same time the game simple gives each player an extended length of life immedietly let's them continue to fight, this can catch u off guard since it happens so fast so never let ur guard down.

String Interuption: Strings can still be interrupted with armor in MKX.

Air Breakers: Not as positive as in MK9, u can't air breaker and get in on ur opponent for a quick d3 quick stand

Jax (Wrestler variation)
Gains Air Back Breaker
Multi Slam
Automatic Gotcha Grab
Various Wrestler Strings

Ex Multi Slam (has armor) : Inputs have changed from MKX it is now: square, triangle, x, circle, then all 5 buttons, has to be well timed.

Multi Slam DBF 1 (2hits): triangle

Note: You can choose which side u want the grab to end on, on both versions of multi slam, also multi slam command grab has very short reach so u will have to be right up on ur opponent to get it.

Dash Punch (High): Still punishable on whiff like MK9

Dash Punch (Overhead) Hella Quick!, travels nice distance, and can be comboed in the corner, mid screen does not allow follow up, but hella unsafe on block

EX Dash P Overhead: Recovers more quickly on hit for follow up, dont know how safe it is on block

Jaxs MK9 F4: In MKX it is now his B4 (sweep) and can't be comboed into, but is still a hella good normal.

EX Gotcha Grab: Has armor and can be used as a AA, can be combo in the corner, and used as a wakeup.

Rising Knee BF 4 (DP) great AA move to catch jump ins

EX Rising Knee: Good wake up option

Air Back Breaker: Can still be linked from a JIK.

D3: Toned down from MK9, u can't spam this move anymore to try to dictate pressure, has a slight pause when connected.

D4: Decent reach, and nice option on footsies

Energy wave DB2: Can now be held down, but not dash cancelable

Ex Energy wave: Can be held down, but not dash cancelable, releases 2 shots, high and a mid

Note: Jaxes projectile is hella good this time around, much better then MK9

Ground Pound: Can no longer be canceled ( at least not in this variation) can still choose where u want it to hit

Wrestler variation strings: Jax has 2 special strings in this variation that allows for him to use his spine buster move from MK9 starts off mid and goes into a command throw which can be blocked.

TidBits:
-Winning animations after fights can be skipped
- Matches can be immediately restarted mid match
- Controller presets can be changed at character select screen
-Match rounds can be extended up to best of 5 i think, only tried up to 4

Well that's all I got for now, I'll answer questions to the best of my abort if there is any.
out of all this one there was one thing that caught my attention, the automatic gotcha, mind explaining that to e? since when i think automatic i think no button input needed, someone jumps in and the boom, gotcha no input required, thanks dude in advance :)

out of all this one there was one thing that caught my attention, the automatic gotcha, mind explaining that to e? since when i think automatic i think no button input needed, someone jumps in and the boom, gotcha no input required
Yes in this variation the gotcha grab is automatic, but he has another variation where the gotcha grab has command inputs, but whether that version does more damage is yet to be seen.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I got quite a few matches in against reptile, the initial thoughts by show was that he was ass, very meter dependent on force balls, and that force balls are not as good as they were in MK9 because of the start up.

So far it doesn't appear reptile has a string that allows him to whiff dash cancel into NJP like in mk9, also EX acid can no longer be held out and expanded to catch jump ins like MK9.

Reptile has some overhead starter normals, but I don't think they can be comboed.
Ex Dash (No Armor)
Ex Slide (Armor)
D4( Good)
Obnoxious variation with acid puddle: Very good for chip damage

Gonna take till after the game to released to see just how viable reptile really is.

Reptile Nimble: Reptile can't block when this is activated and it lasts 5 secs, also the startup is slow so u gonna wanna have some distance before activating it.
I see. From the way you guys put it, he's likely going to take some serious work to be played efficiently. Hopefully the initial opinion is wrong. :)

Good to see, though, that he's not as carbon-copy as everyone originally thought, and that he is indeed different.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Yes in this variation the gotcha grab is automatic, but he has another variation where the gotcha grab has command inputs, but whether that version does more damage is yet to be seen.
O_O damn dude that is fucking insane, thanks for answering my question :)

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
This topic is very informative! The tidbit about command throws makes me very eager to test out every grappler that MKX has to offer!

I thank you very much for this.

VOR

Noob
What's your impression of the walk speeds? And since there isn't dash blocking, what about walk blocking? Walk/block/walk/block/walk/block etc.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Hoo boy there gonna be quite some complaining at launch.
Under which circumstances it triggers though?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've said it before, the 3 more important aspects of playing Mortal Kombat X this time will be:

System basic knowledge
a) Movement Mastery
b) management (Enhanced meter, Stamina meter)
c) Strategy (know when to do your shits and understand the basics of neutral game)

Then it will come down to the rest
Execution (Be on point with combos, punishes, interrupting)
Character's strengths
Matchup knowledge

Those players who randomly used to jump in to blow characters who play in defense will have a hard time, getting in.
Those who randomly used to backdash to stay away will be forced to use it sparingly
Those who constantly played blind rushdown will have to learn who to keep distance when they have to, and when to approach.

Who else thinks it will be Dash cancel, D3, D1 NDC Dash into D3 Backdash backdash iabg all day think again.
With a system like this i just hope even shitty characters/variation in the hands of a very good player will be far superior against a scrub playing a top tier character without knowledge of the 3 most important aspects of dominance of this game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Technically, at the moment only lack of knowledge about gdlk iafb on a character with good backdash prevents me from saying that this part of gameplan is actually a thing :p
Stamina takes 3 seconds to start regenerating whenever its used, one does not simply backdash iafb back dash, the time it will take to regen all will be a vulnerable spot along the gameplay development.