What's new

General/Other - Jax MKX & Jax: Review So Far (No Spoilers)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Regarding IAFB in this game, they will not be able to be done as rapidly as in MK9 or maybe even at all for that matter, for example when star charger tried to go into Kitanas IAFBs he was not able to because of the animation and recover of fan on whiff and hit, when Kitana lands a fan she slightly floats up when it connects, so it doesn't give u enough time to land and do another one for a follow up IAF, I mean IAF are present just u won't be able to spam and do them back to back, its more like ( IAF land+ wait+ IAF land+ wait)
@Barrogh see? told ya.

Shady

Noob
@FCP/EMP SCAR Two questions (one you probably won't be able to answer unless someone tried the character).

1. Did anyone try Cassie and in Hollywood did anyone try to do her air guns instantly?

2. The whole dashing situation, with the backdash not being cancellable, is there a an option to run back? I know it's weird but seems that for zoning and spacing there could be an option to put space between you and opponent on knockdown for distance.

Also, how much distance do forward dashes cover in comparison to MK9? Since they're now not cancellable and can be punished (see, I read threads :)) understanding the distance would be hella important on high level play.

EDIT: Also, hella happy about the whole JiP situation. That was garbage in MK9 with tracking hitboxes and other shit. Now at least there is more brain to the footsie game as opposed to, JiP+combo, JiP+pressure on block.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is there a purpose to cancelling a blocked normal into a run and cancelling that into block? Meaning does cancelling a negative string like -27 into run and then blocking result in less negative frames?

Strings in MKX are negative or highly punishable enough to give you a backdash bait and not a stay in NDC reddash type of pressure.

Is there a purpose to cancelling a blocked normal into a run and cancelling that into block? Meaning does cancelling a negative string like -27 into run and then blocking result in less negative frames?
This is yet to be determined since getting used to run block canceling in itself will take some time, movement is very diff in this game guys, from what I've tried. By the time u cancel a string into run, and try to cancel that run with block, ur opponent will have enough time to start his pressure in between that.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
For the record, I wasn't predicting the opposite. I'm just trying to brace myself for inevitable NRS-brand disappointment :p

This is yet to be determined since getting used to run block canceling in itself will take some time, movement is very diff in this game guys, from what I've tried. By the time u cancel a string into run, and try to cancel that run with block, ur opponent will have enough time to start his pressure in between that.
But wait, why would anyone cancel run with block if you can cancel into normal without pressing additional button and suffering from reportedly existing run stop recovery?

@FCP/EMP SCAR Two questions (one you probably won't be able to answer unless someone tried the character).

1. Did anyone try Cassie and in Hollywood did anyone try to do her air guns instantly?

2. The whole dashing situation, with the backdash not being cancellable, is there a an option to run back? I know it's weird but seems that for zoning and spacing there could be an option to put space between you and opponent on knockdown for distance.

Also, how much distance do forward dashes cover in comparison to MK9? Since they're now not cancellable and can be punished (see, I read threads :)) understanding the distance would be hella important on high level play.

EDIT: Also, hella happy about the whole JiP situation. That was garbage in MK9 with tracking hitboxes and other shit. Now at least there is more brain to the footsie game as opposed to, JiP+combo, JiP+pressure on block.
Forward dashes have slightly more distance and longer draw out then they did in MK9 they are not as bad as injustice I will tell u that, also u only get to backdash twice with full stamina, after that u won't be able to back dash anymore, u can't run back in this game.

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
I've said it before, the 3 more important aspects of playing Mortal Kombat X this time will be:

System basic knowledge
a) Movement Mastery
b) management (Enhanced meter, Stamina meter)
c) Strategy (know when to do your shits and understand the basics of neutral game)

Then it will come down to the rest
Execution (Be on point with combos, punishes, interrupting)
Character's strengths
Matchup knowledge

Those players who randomly used to jump in to blow characters who play in defense will have a hard time, getting in.
Those who randomly used to backdash to stay away will be forced to use it sparingly
Those who constantly played blind rushdown will have to learn who to keep distance when they have to, and when to approach.

Who else thinks it will be Dash cancel, D3, D1 NDC Dash into D3 Backdash backdash iabg all day think again.
With a system like this i just hope even shitty characters/variation in the hands of a very good player will be far superior against a scrub playing a top tier character without knowledge of the 3 most important aspects of dominance of this game.
WHATTTTT?
I'm terrible at all of these things, especially the neutral game.

For the record, I wasn't predicting the opposite. I'm just trying to brace myself for inevitable NRS-brand disappointment :p

But wait, why would anyone cancel run with block if you can cancel into normal without pressing additional button and suffering from reportedly existing run stop recovery?
Because the well thoughtout and more thorough disbursement of armored moves makes continued pressure like that highly risky and extremely punishable.

All possible options out of run animation has not been fully explored, but one reason u would want to run block cancel, is dealing with Zoners, like knife throw happy kano, run block cancel will be effective for closing distance more quickly

Shady

Noob
Forward dashes have slightly more distance and longer draw out then they did in MK9 they are not as bad as injustice I will tell u that, also u only get to backdash twice with full stamina, after that u won't be able to back dash anymore, u can't run back in this game.
Thanks. It seems that stamina and the dashing change-up will really add to the footsie game and your space management with characters.

The one thing that kind of worries me are command throws. So they're both unblockable and untechable? Did you notice if they had armor on EX? Because it seems that if you can armor through normal strings with unblockable shit, that kind of makes you a hard character to pressure.

Thanks. It seems that stamina and the dashing change-up will really add to the footsie game and your space management with characters.

The one thing that kind of worries me are command throws. So they're both unblockable and untechable? Did you notice if they had armor on EX? Because it seems that if you can armor through normal strings with unblockable shit, that kind of makes you a hard character to pressure.
Some command throws (not all) are block able, all are untechable if they hit, and yes some command throws have armor, and are unblockable allowing u to go through strings, some strings do not link into command through and will cause the command throw to whiff up close.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
WHATTTTT?
I'm terrible at all of these things, especially the neutral game.
Either you learn it and become a beautiful player or ignore it and stay in the scrubs league.

I'm actually laughing my ass off because everything is playing out and will educate a lot of tym players, lots of people aren't ready.

Be warned that players with capcom background who play neutral characters might be strong in this game.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Deep jump in kicks no longer work in MKX like they did in MK9, u will not be guaranteed a block string after having ur jump in blocked, and if ur opponent blocks a jump in and u go straight into a high it won't jail, I seen this quite a few times with Lao.
What? How jump punch? Is it plus enough to guarantee a block string? If not this game will be weird.

Either you learn it and become a beautiful player or ignore it and stay in the scrubs league.

I'm actually laughing my ass off because everything is playing out and will educate a lot of tym players, lots of people aren't ready.

Be warned that players with capcom background who play neutral characters might be strong in this game.
A lot of people will be overwhelmed by the new movement once this game drops, guaranteed, the meta in this game will separate the boyz from the man, not for the weak.

AssassiN

Noob
One more question @FCP/EMP SCAR :
When you're blocking a true blockstring, can you go from standing position to crouching position(like Injustice) or are you stuck standing(like MK9)?

kivatt

Kono Dio Da

I'll try, but in highly tense situation, I just go full droopty drop, and just loose basic reasoning skills.

I'll try to learn with my friend, who's good at KI, Capcom fighters, and Tekken.
Maybe he can beat some skills into me

Yo
One more question @FCP/EMP SCAR :
When you're blocking a true blockstring, can you go from standing position to crouching position(like Injustice) or are you stuck standing(like MK9)?
You can go from standing to ducking a block string, if an opponent does a jump in and follows up with a high, u will not be jailed. Move will have to be a mid to keep ur opponent jailed

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Some command throws (not all) are block able, all are untechable if they hit, and yes some command throws have armor, and are unblockable allowing u to go through strings, some strings do not link into command through and will cause the command throw to whiff up close.
So I'm confused, is it really a command throw/grab if it can be blocked? Wouldn't that just be a command hit or normal? Are there non ex moves that are unblockable grabs aka command grabs? Like Zangiefs piledriver or Grundy's walking corpse grab? I need clarification here because I want to make sure MKX actually has legitimate grapplers and not pseudo half assed grapplers like Sheeva and Kano in MK9. Hell, I think Cyrax was the only character to have a non ex/xray fully unblockable command grab in his b1 I believe it was.