What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Mileena Mileena Matchup Discussion

Yoaks

A spaceman
I'm really worried about Kenshi and Cassie for EVO, as those 2 are really hard matchups.

Matchups that also feel bad/may be bad - Jax, Sonya, Lui Kang, Ermac, Subzero, Erron, Kung Lao
I agree with all of these except Kenshi. I'll give my reasoning when I'm off work.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
21~Ex Roll should beat that option, unless she gets hit awkwardly in the air. That's usually the answer to those trying to armor through since EX Roll also breaks armor. And you still have the main mixup of 21 and 2~EX Roll anyway. What's wrong with 123?

Trying to low profile Cass B1 is a big gamble, honestly. It can be done, but it's damn near a hard read since the window is super tight.
Yeah, but 21~roll doesn't have a gap IIRC, so they can just OS a reversal MB flipkick and it will only come out if Mileena does 21 or 21U4.
And yeah, I agree.

Liu Kang is fucking dumb now. KL has always been bad.
Not too sure about Sonya. Though I've only seen Covert Ops so far and people think that's not her best variation.
I played Crazy Bread's Demo Sonya. It's gonna be bad, but I don't feel like any of her bad ones are like 3-7ish, more like 4-6ish.

I am going to hope 2 rounds is all iI need to scrub out wins lol

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Cassie is a pain to fight... From couple sets I played with a friend of mine ( see vids below) I gathered she cant be pressured on wake up due to how fast flip kick is, she has alot of advancing normals so if Im playing footsies with Mileena's (Piercing) b12 I have to be careful not to whiff cuz she can punish. I cant zone her out for long.. on a good read from midscreen , Cassie can punish Sais with her jump 2 to full combo... Got stay patient and play mind games on her wakeup... go in for risky mixups(ex roll, f4 exroll/roll/ , f23 exroll 23u4 ,2 exroll etc.) grab or just bait flip kick and punish with roll...

But Lets talk about Cassie's mom Sonya.... She is relentless and Mileena struggle against her. Her divekick can only be punish from certain ranges on block... I notice her strings into military stance on block can be punished with a quick reversal roll before cartwheel OR the grab comes out.. However military stance into low has to be respected if ur not gonna ex roll ..when sonya has Mileena on knockdown Sonya runs up and mix u up on wakeup that Mileena cant backdash out of.. You gotta commit to ex roll..regular roll gets beat by Sonya low kicks on wakeup everytime and to make matters even worse..she an parry Mileena's roll or telekick..

Honestly I feel that winning games against sonya with Mileena is about making right reads,taking risk with ex rolls, being patient and maximizing damage every chance we get..

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Liu Kang is fucking dumb now. KL has always been bad.
Not too sure about Sonya. Though I've only seen Covert Ops so far and people think that's not her best variation.
Yes I agree .. Flame Fist lui kang is God awful!!... But Mileena can d3 if Lui Kang windmill punch into back hand special he has. If he parries Mil can punish with her low starter.. but gotta respect if Lui Kang WP to low fireball...but Mil can punish after blocking it with roll.. so its a mind game fighting him...

I think honestly, characters having "assists" in this game makes things dumb. Sonya drones, Cass heatseeker missile, Quan Bat, etc.
It'd be different if you could use movement to get away from the attacks, but full tracking moves that hit independently of the player? Fullscreen armor breaking? This is the kind of thing that takes away from the fun of this game.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
I'm really worried about Kenshi and Cassie for EVO, as those 2 are really hard matchups.

Matchups that also feel bad/may be bad - Jax, Sonya, Lui Kang, Ermac, Subzero, Erron, Kung Lao
Subs becoming a pain, I asked Saltface how he approached and he told me he generally plays really lame / patient.

Gain a life lead, then basically let sub come to you. Although I keep getting blown up when I try that haha.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Yeah, but 21~roll doesn't have a gap IIRC, so they can just OS a reversal MB flipkick and it will only come out if Mileena does 21 or 21U4.
And yeah, I agree.
What's this defensive OS you're talking of? Because I was going to say that I found out that 21xx low sai/roll is a way to counter MB flip kick, reasoning that these moves come out so fast that by the time your opponent does the input for flip kick they cannot press block in time. Yes these are gambles because of how punishable low sai and roll are but at least there's an option to help keep Cassie players somewhat honest.

Also d3 really is legitimate footsie tool in neutral. Very difficult to punish because of its fast recovery and can open Cassie to whiff punishment because b1 can miss.

Also here's my matchup a notes against Sub.
D2 punishes clone protected non spaced overheads in the corner. Spaced, clone protected overheads can be rolled during its startup. Anytime Sub Zero moves in to either b33 or throw he can be rolled. Be mindful of the fact that they're looking for you to hang yourself, so these are hard reads. Armor works but in some situations lose its armor to a hit and gets caught by the clone.
B33xx clone must be respected while she can punish a point blank b33, if Sub clones, Mileena has no options to stop him. If he ends b33 with d4, the sweep, this is -12 and can always be punished no matter the spacing.
Outside of f4 and b33 Mileena can armor through all of Subs clone canceled strings. However while the issue of breathing hurtboxes making ex not come out consistently during certain strings is real, it does not exist with f42. Be mindful of this.
Strings into ex ice ball can be armored through. A common tactic is for Sub to b33 and use ex ice ball to make it safe, however they can OS this.
Another common tactic is for Sub players to pop an ice clone then throw projectiles from behind it. You don't have to respect this, look for his iceball and punish with telekick. It's easily reactable.
General rule of this matchup, play slow and safe. Subs game plan revolves around playing lame and frustrating you into making mistakes.

Last edited:

Endding

What do you guys think about the Relentless Jason match-up?
Haven't faced too many, but the ones I have you have punish Tele on reaction which cripples his mobility.

Then you can Sai, keep him out if you wish. He has some nice Anti Airs, so wouldnt recommend jumping all over the place. Apart from that I haven't really felt threatened by him. Anything in particular you feel uncomfortable with?

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
Haven't faced too many, but the ones I have you have punish Tele on reaction which cripples his mobility.

Then you can Sai, keep him out if you wish. He has some nice Anti Airs, so wouldnt recommend jumping all over the place. Apart from that I haven't really felt threatened by him. Anything in particular you feel uncomfortable with?
I couldn't effectively apply Mileena's oki game on him. Does his EX Teleport have super armor? Because I could've sworn I hit him twice and he still kept going. There's also that grab he has, the one where he breaks your back. I tried to avoid it the same way you avoid EB's Sand Trap but that didn't work or maybe I was doing something wrong. Basically I was free to his throws at the end of all his strings. I had trouble getting in because of his AA grab and everytime I'd run in or try to zone he'd teleport and I'd get grabbed again. Plus the setups he does with that moves that fucks with your controls. Is everything messed up or just your movement and strikes?

Endding

I couldn't effectively apply Mileena's oki game on him. Does his EX Teleport have super armor? Because I could've sworn I hit him twice and he still kept going. There's also that grab he has, the one where he breaks your back. I tried to avoid it the same way you avoid EB's Sand Trap but that didn't work or maybe I was doing something wrong. Basically I was free to his throws at the end of all his strings. I had trouble getting in because of his AA grab and everytime I'd run in or try to zone he'd teleport. Plus the setups he does with that moves that fucks with your controls. Is everything messed up or just your movement and strikes?
Haven't looked at Relentless's frame data, but I know Jasons pokes are pretty slow. You can just pressure even with Mileena surprisingly, but of course watch out for his meter. Couldn't tell you the exact amount of armour hits it has sadly but I'm sure somebody will. I really haven't had a problem locking down his mobility, but maybe I haven't encountered a good Jason yet. His Red Screen move, turns your directional inputs opposite so U is D etc and completely randomises your 1234.

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
Haven't looked at Relentless's frame data, but I know Jasons pokes are pretty slow. You can just pressure even with Mileena surprisingly, but of course watch out for his meter. Couldn't tell you the exact amount of armour hits it has sadly but I'm sure somebody will. I really haven't had a problem locking down his mobility, but maybe I haven't encountered a good Jason yet. His Red Screen move, turns your directional inputs opposite so U is D etc and completely randomises your 1234.
This Jason was pretty good, I never really got to mount any offense on him. Guess I'm going to have to lab him tomorrow. Thanks for that info on the Red Screen thing though, at one point I just started button mashing lol.

Endding

Out of curiosity what does everyone think about the Goro MatchUp?

I can't figure out who's side it's on

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I just lost to a D'vorah doing the same exact move and couldn't get by it. It was two hits and then her bug spray. I rolled it once when she was out of range but once I was close I could do nothing but block. I'll post the round later. I need to figure out how to stop it with Mileena.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I just lost to a D'vorah doing the same exact move and couldn't get by it. It was two hits and then her bug spray. I rolled it once when she was out of range but once I was close I could do nothing but block. I'll post the round later. I need to figure out how to stop it with Mileena.
Venemous variation I take it? I'm going to assume the two hits was F11 as that has a lot of range

TheGabStandard

F22 bug spray extended. Offline it looks a lot slower and easier to deal with but online I was stuck like Chuck. Any tips?
From memory bug spray is really negative on block but if its extended I think its still quite negative but not sure. I guess you can do the jump test to find out how negative it is and see if it is punishable.

Will look into it when I get back

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
You can armor out before the bug spray.

Endding

F22 then Armour, works like a charm. Anything into bug spray has a gap.

Just a tip don't anticipate the full spray, if they have a brain they'll stop the spray randomly so you have to be ready to get the punish you deserve. Venomous Dvorah is tons of fun, but sadly horribly unsafe. Arguably her worst.

Funny all this talk about Dvorah, I recently beat a friends in a FT10 10-9. Ravenous v Swarm Queen in case anyone was curious.

TheGabStandard

How are people finding fighting against Shinnok and what do you guys feel is the best way to approach that match?