What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Mileena Mileena Matchup Discussion

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I guess Piercing mainly but I'm in the process of having all 3 variations at a good level so any advice for any variation would be welcomed. Also it would be against Boneshaper Shinnok
Against Boneshaper you just got to get a knockdown. He out footsies us with d4 and hell sparks and we can't afford to zone because ex scoop blows that up. I recommend learning to fuzzy his vortex, all you have to do is tap d while blocking and it covers hid overhead and low if he does it immediately which shinnoks normally do. Also his overhead is not guaranteed after the restand. You can do 21 and it beats it clean. In neutral your going to have to call there bluff after hell sparks and make the read that there not going to mb hell sparks and just run in after you block one . You can also reversal out if he mb the 3rd hit of hell sparks so you can reversal ex fade after the 3rd one if you want to get in safely.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Haven't been a fan of Shinnok MU since the old days, nothing has changed.

Feel really uncomfortable in this MU.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
How do people find the D'vorah matchup? I do my best to keep her out but find it really difficult once it gets to footsie range due to how far her normals go. I might be going about it wrong as I don't play many of them so any advice for any variation is appreciated.

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
How do people find the D'vorah matchup? I do my best to keep her out but find it really difficult once it gets to footsie range due to how far her normals go. I might be going about it wrong as I don't play many of them so any advice for any variation is appreciated.
Zoning her out and keeping her honest with Roll has worked well for me. Most players are pretty predictable with the puddle thing she does so when I'm expecting it I'll run in and Ball Roll/throw or Tele-Kick depending on the distance.

Baconlord

This is one of the few matchup I like piercing the most in. F12 works fine on her and you can stuff all her wakeups with f12 after her b212+4 so you can go for max damage without sacrificing your mixup potential. Don't let her get away with puddle gimmicks something like d4 puddle and 212 puddle are interuptable with a normal roll so don't feel like you have to armor our.

Baconlord

In Jax matchup after knocking him down u can go for a yolo D3 xx roll, it makes armored gotcha grab miss then launch him, it also stuffs armored dash punch (both version, because 2 hit of D3 roll is very fast), and of course stuffs his wake up throw
I originally didn't think mutch of this because d3 roll is a bit too Yolo for me but I'm after I saw unbreakable anti wakeup tech and it got me thinking, what if you os the d3 to only come out on hit. Sure it doesn't link but if the d3 hits armor roll comes out because the game counts that as a hit. The only way to punish this would be to just take the hit but that opens up f4.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Against Boneshaper you just got to get a knockdown. He out footsies us with d4 and hell sparks and we can't afford to zone because ex scoop blows that up. I recommend learning to fuzzy his vortex, all you have to do is tap d while blocking and it covers hid overhead and low if he does it immediately which shinnoks normally do. Also his overhead is not guaranteed after the restand. You can do 21 and it beats it clean. In neutral your going to have to call there bluff after hell sparks and make the read that there not going to mb hell sparks and just run in after you block one . You can also reversal out if he mb the 3rd hit of hell sparks so you can reversal ex fade after the 3rd one if you want to get in safely.
You do know that by being using the right spacing you can roll punish hell sparks by rolling after the second spark due the the third spark whiffing?

You do know that by being using the right spacing you can roll punish hell sparks by rolling after the second spark due the the third spark whiffing?
This is true, but Shinnok can just MB the second one for the +frames. In fact, I rarely see Shinnok's do all 3 sparks as much nowadays unless they have no meter.

Against Boneshaper you just got to get a knockdown. He out footsies us with d4 and hell sparks and we can't afford to zone because ex scoop blows that up.
Can you IAS over the EX Scoop?

TheGabStandard

why kung lao is a bad matchup?
can someone explain that to me?
btw i play kung lao
thank you for any advice
In my experience in facing the character
- Lao's J2 wins air-to-airs and can't be anti-aired consistently if not at all.
- He does more damage with safer strings/less risk.
- Mileena struggles to get out of his pressure
- Can't really jump in due to his S1 and spin/Ex spin being great anti-airs.
- Zoning is not always effective due to teleport and divekick (although a lot riskier).

My opinion might be skewed as the only Kung Lao I play is Foxy Grampa and he's just a beast but that is how I feel. Anyone else can chime in with an opinion

In my experience in facing the character
- Lao's J2 wins air-to-airs and can't be anti-aired consistently if not at all.
- He does more damage with safer strings/less risk.
- Mileena struggles to get out of his pressure
- Can't really jump in due to his S1 and spin/Ex spin being great anti-airs.
- Zoning is not always effective due to teleport and divekick (although a lot riskier).

My opinion might be skewed as the only Kung Lao I play is Foxy Grampa and he's just a beast but that is how I feel. Anyone else can chime in with an opinion
ok, thank you for the advice, i ll try it out and see what happen! i think i was too afraid playing against her... didnt know the air to air game was in my favor.

TheGabStandard

ok, thank you for the advice, i ll try it out and see what happen! i think i was too afraid playing against her... didnt know the air to air game was in my favor.
You're welcome. With the anti-air thing her roll is a strong tool for that, but if you time J2 well enough it will always beat out roll for a full combo.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Ex roll works universally, f4xx roll Can low profile j2 from range. There's more I just haven't been playing much recently and I don't have my MU notes on me currently. AAing Lao isn't impossible, you just have to be aware of what works where.

TheGabStandard

Ex roll works universally, f4xx roll Can low profile j2 from range. There's more I just haven't been playing much recently and I don't have my MU notes on me currently. AAing Lao isn't impossible, you just have to be aware of what works where.
Ah that's interesting. Will give that a try and appreciate any more advice in the matchup

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I'm sad, instant jump punch/kick doesn't work with Mileena as I usually do with Kitana (5 frame jump 2). Her jump attacks are too slow

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
hey guys, how do you handle predator? i've been grinding the matchup with a friend and i feel ok for most things. however, when he's inching in and starts jumping, things tend to get dicey because normally when an opponent jumps i'll anti-air them with a roll but i can't do it against predator because of his long range jump attacks. also, it seems to me that predator doesn't need to respect your spacing because his tools can nullify your attempts to zone, such as his traps and disk. what do you guys suggest?

hey guys, how do you handle predator? i've been grinding the matchup with a friend and i feel ok for most things. however, when he's inching in and starts jumping, things tend to get dicey because normally when an opponent jumps i'll anti-air them with a roll but i can't do it against predator because of his long range jump attacks. also, it seems to me that predator doesn't need to respect your spacing because his tools can nullify your attempts to zone, such as his traps and disk. what do you guys suggest?
Well if the problem is Anti-Air, you can use EX Roll to armor through the attack. Other than that I can't help too much, as I lack exp vs Preds.
I'm assuming you're talking about Piercing vs Hunter?

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
Well if the problem is Anti-Air, you can use EX Roll to armor through the attack. Other than that I can't help too much, as I lack exp vs Preds.
I'm assuming you're talking about Piercing vs Hunter?
yes, the matchup is piercing vs hunter. i actually do use ex roll for that situation but sometimes i don't find it practical to spend a meter for that. wish i had other options.

yes, the matchup is piercing vs hunter. i actually do use ex roll for that situation but sometimes i don't find it practical to spend a meter for that. wish i had other options.
Yeah it sucks. Mileena's Anti-Air options can be either godlike or near worthless depending on who she's facing. But EX Roll is worth using there since it's still a free 27%.
In the case of Trap shenanigans... I wonder if Ethereal might be a better pick for that Matchup just cause of EX Fade. Not sure though as you will sacrifice damage and Pred is one of, if not THE most damaging character in the game. I'd experiment with that maybe.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Ethereal looks like the move but what ender to use? Rider? Haven't dove deep into the variation too much since I'm still grinding Ravenous but this has me curious.

Baconlord

Ethereal looks like the move but what ender to use? Rider? Haven't dove deep into the variation too much since I'm still grinding Ravenous but this has me curious.
I use b221+3 if I want oki, 21u4 in the corner, and b22 sai for space and meter since b22 sai gives you a free fade away.

^Yeah pretty much this. Rider or B22,1+3, also gives you a free fade. Maybe not against like Raiden since he has wakeup superman, but most everyone else you can do a free fade away/fade in place.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
Yeah it sucks. Mileena's Anti-Air options can be either godlike or near worthless depending on who she's facing. But EX Roll is worth using there since it's still a free 27%.
In the case of Trap shenanigans... I wonder if Ethereal might be a better pick for that Matchup just cause of EX Fade. Not sure though as you will sacrifice damage and Pred is one of, if not THE most damaging character in the game. I'd experiment with that maybe.
u make a valid point with ex fade. idk i'll have to try that out. i've played maybe 10 matches total with ethereal so i have no idea how to optimize her strength in that variation. thanks.

Baconlord

u make a valid point with ex fade. idk i'll have to try that out. i've played maybe 10 matches total with ethereal so i have no idea how to optimize her strength in that variation. thanks.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/takeachances-all-in-one-ethereal-guide-updated-with-zero-effects-ex-fade-vids-8-18-2015.54839/
this is take a chance's guide for ethereal. It breaks down what makes it good and offers a lot of tech. ethereal is definitely worth learning. imo its her best variation and deals with some matchups way better then then piercing and ravenous

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
oh man, some jax player did my mileena so bad earlier it hurt my soul. jax matchup tips anyone? i'm aware i absolutely don't want to be in the corner with him but hell, i couldn't keep this guy away.