What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Mileena Mileena Matchup Discussion

Yoaks

A spaceman
Yeah - there seems to be no universal answer without armor. It's also difficult to build meter against him because he will gladly trade Ice Ball for Sai.

It seems the law of averages is against her in this as he can just keep doing it so easily and it leads to full combo. With trip guarding being difficult he can also just use it to bait Roll.

I was setting the AI to do
Ji2, B33 (technically punishable but risky)
Ji2, B3B2
Ji2, B33 slide

I can move around and avoid/punish but I am trying to do anything from block I am easily owned.

*Le Sai*
you can aa him with b3 on a read. Roll/tele are great for punishing him when he is throwing Ice ball or Clone.

Yoaks

A spaceman
So I've made up a pseudo MU chart for Mileena, mainly to get some advice on some of them. Some discussion on mu's needs to start happening so we all can start leveling up. All this tech and combo talk is all well and good, but it'll do none of use any good if we don't know how to fight the rest of the cast.

I'm just gonna list the ones I feel are Comfortable. Or Uncomfortable. Comfortable meaning I feel the mu is advantage or even to Mileena. Or uncomfortable to me but could be even or possibly advantage. I just might have trouble in that particular mu.

I know this might seem odd, but I don't think listing mu's Advantage/Even/Disadvantage is appropriate at this time.

Comfortable:
Jason
Takeda
Kitana
Sub Zero
Jacqui
Johnny Cage
Erron Black
Reptile
Tanya
Kenshi

Uncomfortable:
Kung Lao
Jax
Sonya
Scorpion
Cassie Cage
Kung Jin
Shinnok
Kotal
Ferra Torr
Ermac
Liu Kang
D'vorah
Raiden
Quan Chi
Goro
Kano (mainly Cybernetic)

@YOMI RM SaltFace
@MrMileena (Whats his tag? lol)
@TakeAChance
@EMPEROR_SunFire
@Johnny San
@1man3letters

@Rest of the Mileena players.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
So I've made up a pseudo MU chart for Mileena, mainly to get some advice on some of them. Some discussion on mu's needs to start happening so we all can start leveling up. All this tech and combo talk is all well and good, but it'll do none of use any good if we don't know how to fight the rest of the cast.

I'm just gonna list the ones I feel are Comfortable. Or Uncomfortable. Comfortable meaning I feel the mu is advantage or even to Mileena. Or uncomfortable to me but could be even or possibly advantage. I just might have trouble in that particular mu.

I know this might seem odd, but I don't think listing mu's Advantage/Even/Disadvantage is appropriate at this time.

Comfortable:
Jason
Takeda
Kitana
Sub Zero
Jacqui
Johnny Cage
Erron Black
Reptile
Tanya
Kenshi

Uncomfortable:
Kung Lao
Jax
Sonya
Scorpion
Cassie Cage
Kung Jin
Shinnok
Kotal
Ferra Torr
Ermac
Liu Kang
D'vorah
Raiden
Quan Chi
Goro
Kano (mainly Cybernetic)

@YOMI RM SaltFace
@TakeAChance
@EMPEROR_SunFire
@Johnny San
@1man3letters

I agree with most of them, I still feel like Ferra/Torr, Kotal and Ermac could be in the comfortable list, but I jeed more experience.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I agree with most of them, I still feel like Ferra/Torr, Kotal and Ermac could be in the comfortable list, but I jeed more experience.
Ferra Torr I feel can just play lame against Mileena. Since Ferra can just eat her Sai's. They're safety is also a problem.

I haven't fought enough of BG or SG Kotal but WG I have trouble with. Anti airing with roll is tough since his ji is so good his normals are sooo good too and he can make all his strings safe with his Sword specials. I know you can armor through his strings that he cancels with Sword.

I never feel I can contain Ermac. Trading fireballs is never in your favor and the threat of teleport is always there when he jumps. Could just be me.

Last edited:

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Cheers for the tag m8

But in all seriousness, I feel comfortable in most MUs

Instead of going through the ones I feel confident, would be easier to name the ones I arnt.

jax, shinnok, kang, jin, sonya, dvorah,

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
In Jax matchup after knocking him down u can go for a yolo D3 xx roll, it makes armored gotcha grab miss then launch him, it also stuffs armored dash punch (both version, because 2 hit of D3 roll is very fast), and of course stuffs his wake up throw

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Just to tag him @Mr. Mileena

@RM Yoaks I generally agree with the chart although there a few characters I have zero experience against like Reptile, Shinnok and Takeda. How would you go about playing the Tanya matchup? I've only played against the character a few times and just got blown up by teleports all over the place lol

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
I've got a bit of experience on Tanya. I also think the match favors Mileena, in Ethereal at least.

Spacing is a big component here (D3 and fade off of block strings really helps Mileena keep pressure). Example is EX fade into 21, which is a nice high/low string with plenty of comboable options afterwards. You could go for knockdown w/ advantage to reset pressure with U4, or roll for combo.

Roll is also a MARVELOUS AA tool against Tanya's random tele BS. 8 frame startup (I believe--haven't looked in awhile), so it's something Tanya is going to have to respect.

EX fade, while a free wake up, also applies Tanya's own form of pressure against her. 123 EXade xxx, F23 EXfade xxx, F12B4 EXfade xxx, etc.

I've also had some decent luck with regular down fade(DD2) after block strings and just holding it. It's nice if you get someone who is button happy. Basically free punish. ;P

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!

Comfortable:
Jason
Takeda
Kitana
Sub Zero
Jacqui
Johnny Cage
Erron Black
Reptile
Tanya
Kenshi

Uncomfortable:
Kung Lao
Jax
Sonya
Scorpion
Cassie Cage
Kung Jin
Shinnok
Kotal
Ferra Torr
Ermac
Liu Kang
D'vorah
Raiden
Quan Chi
Goro
Kano (mainly Cybernetic)

@YOMI RM SaltFace
@TakeAChance
@EMPEROR_SunFire
@Johnny San
@1man3letters

Liu Kang imo has always been tough but I haven't played a strong one since patch. I haven't played Duelist yet at all. Just the other 2, but her wins the fireball war.

Raiden of course still can be tough, but since the hitbox adjustments, he's easier to deal with.

Ferra/Torra is not a bad match up, but once they land a hit on her, it's scary. You have to condition & harass them with pokes. Since her D1 is good now, it gives extra leverage of tools to use. You pretty much can't let them get going.

Scorpion can still be a tough match up, but it's not as tough as it used to be now that his pressure tools are taken out, but you still have to respect his 214 FBRC into tele since it's still +, (preferably +7). Once Scorpion finds his way in, Mileena has to play a lot more patient. Plus, Scorpion also doesn't have to worry about dealing with the fireball game since he has a teleport .

Kitana is someone to watch out for. She's safer now & in Assassin, her parry is now 7 frames. And her Ex fans hit mid. So if you were to ball roll & if she were to get a read on it, she's blowing you up. Even with Ex specials. Mournful is also a variation that people should be aware of, too. She now has a 31% chip damaging frame trap that requires all of her meter. She already hits like a truck, just in Mournful, she uses more meter than the other 2, much like Mileena does in Ethereal. Block breaker is important against her & some other characters, too. I'd like to believe that in all 3 variations, they're both even however. One excels in 1 category while the other is better in another. Mileena, with mixups & whiff punishment; Kitana with a safe neutral, while having hard-hitting combos. And of course, her D1 is good.

I'll fill up more later. Still have to fight more players.

Last edited:

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
I know :(. I was referring to D1 & B21, mainly but it doesn't help much since he's relatively faster than her in general.
Thing is, he'll go for d3/d4 on Mileena because he can't really hit her with any of his "mids" while she's poking with d3/d4 herself. You can try to bait and whiff punish.
Mileena probably dominates the neutral in this match-up because of this and also by (ab)using Sai/Low Sai, b12 (b22 on variations other than piercing) and TK on reaction to his attempts at zoning.

I feel that if f12's hitbox is fixed, this match-up will be a solid 5-5.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Thing is, he'll go for d3/d4 on Mileena because he can't really hit her with any of his "mids" while she's poking with d3/d4 herself. You can try to bait and whiff punish.
Mileena probably dominates the neutral in this match-up because of this and also by (ab)using Sai/Low Sai, b12 (b22 on variations other than piercing) and TK on reaction to his attempts at zoning.

I feel that if f12's hitbox is fixed, this match-up will be a solid 5-5.
I wouldn't solely base it on that factor, but it is huge since it keeps her safe most of the times on wakeup. If you can condition him to press his electric grab after F1, then he can get hit by the roll. If you want a safer route, then in Ethereal, just Ex Fade. In Piercing you have low sai mixups that you have to be good at using. I haven't test regular fade against him, yet (Stupid me). I mean when he does his electric fly, attempting to avoid her 12 & 123 pressure, her sais don't do as much as damage as his electric ball & if they trade, she loses. She wins the fireball war, however because she has more use of her projectiles than he does.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I think shinnock is fine for mileena. I just stay out of hell spark range and throw sais. If he tries to teleport then you can roll out of it and telekick is a great way to keep him in check. Sure he can lock you down with ex hell sparks but thats what shinnock does to everyone but I feel like he has a he has hard time getting it started against mileena.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
In the kitana match up if your end your combos with a sweep and run over her body her wakeup dp whiffs. Doesn't work with her other wakeup but her dp does 30 percent and her others just get a knockdown

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I don't think Sub or Cage are comfortable.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I feel that Mileena can play any character in this roster toe-to-toe. I wouldn't say she has a bad matchup.

Last edited:
@JDE - FerraTorr is fucking rough for me. They're safe on goddamn everything in Vicious/Ruthless. How do you harass with pokes when his are all better reach than hers? You can Roll under the overhead toss mid string, but it's a gamble since he can choose not to do it, and punish you.
Also, why Erron Black comfortable and Kotal Kahn not? just curious.

Low Sai buff in piercing is amazing now, especially vs Jacqui Full Auto and Sub Zero Ice Balls.

@RM Yoaks - I think we should make this thread like another one I saw before, where we figure out the most recommended variations against the characters. Like I'd imagine ethereal as it is now would stack up to FerraTorr much better than Ravenous and Piercing.

I don't think Sub or Cage are comfortable.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I feel that Mileena can play any character in this roster toe-to-toe. I wouldn't say she has a bad matchup.
Care to explain why? Never fought a decent Cage before, and Sub Zero has struggled or gone even with Mileena in the past games.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Care to explain why? Never fought a decent Cage before, and Sub Zero has struggled or gone even with Mileena in the past games.
Sub-Zero has a few more options he can exploit against Mileena he can't do against other characters. B33~Ice Clone can't be beat with Mileena's EX-Roll. B33 can be comboed into Ice Ball midscreen. She doesn't have a move that can combat Ice Clone. She basically has to respect Grandmaster a bit more which is definitely no good.

I feel Cage keeps Mileena honest. He has great projectiles and most of his normals blow up her backdash and have good frame data. That leaves you in his face for a while if he manages to get in past her sais. I haven't really labbed the MU. It's just going off a ton of games.

Sub-Zero has a few more options he can exploit against Mileena he can't do against other characters. B33~Ice Clone can't be beat with Mileena's EX-Roll. B33 can be comboed into Ice Ball midscreen. She doesn't have a move that can combat Ice Clone. She basically has to respect Grandmaster a bit more which is definitely no good.

I feel Cage keeps Mileena honest. He has great projectiles and most of his normals blow up her backdash and have good frame data. That leaves you in his face for a while if he manages to get in past her sais. I haven't really labbed the MU. It's just going off a ton of games.
Ok. I'll take your word for it about Cage till I actually fight the MU myself.

Sub Zero though, I'd imagine most characters that don't have Kenshi/Ermac TKPs would have to deal with Ice clone setups like that. Hmm... can't Telekick punish him for trying it? It would be a read of course as Telekick is unsafe after all. I will say the Low Sai buff helps big here as she won't trade with Ice Balls on the way down like pre-patch. THAT was fucking annoying, lol.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Ok. I'll take your word for it about Cage till I actually fight the MU myself.

Sub Zero though, I'd imagine most characters that don't have Kenshi/Ermac TKPs would have to deal with Ice clone setups like that. Hmm... can't Telekick punish him for trying it? It would be a read of course as Telekick is unsafe after all. I will say the Low Sai buff helps big here as she won't trade with Ice Balls on the way down like pre-patch. THAT was fucking annoying, lol.
I'd say there a good numbers of characters who have specials/disjointed hitboxes which make Clones more manageable. I only see Telekick being useful if Sub is throwing out Clones fullscreen which never really happens. Any other ranges and you might as well go for EX-Roll since the outcome would be the same if they blocked either move.

That's off naked Ice Clones mind you. Anything else into Clone and you're eating a combo.