What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Mileena Mileena Matchup Discussion

Update: Against Inferno Scorpion, if you block a ground minion you can punish with Telekick for frames or EX Telekick for damage.

One of these days I'll have to sit down and test Telekick/Roll punish options for projectiles, and other shit. But I don't have regular access to a PS4 at the moment.

Question: Does anyone have matchup advice against Kotal Kahn (War God) and Johnny Cage (Stunt Double)? I struggle with those characters because of how safe they are. Can't seem to find gaps.

Question: Does anyone have matchup advice against Kotal Kahn (War God) and Johnny Cage (Stunt Double)? I struggle with those characters because of how safe they are. Can't seem to find gaps.
With Cage the thing to learn is to learn how to block him - often they will be using F3, D4 to lead into the his overhead. Hold block and hit roll at the end of the strings UNLESS he has meter where they will often add MB dp. I know with A list you can just duck Shadow Kick if they are using that to get in

Kotal you can zone a bit more - less familiar with that one though

Enigma

Noob
Scorpion match up is really difficult for me..
I don't stand a chance up close and if I try to zone they trade with the low hitting hellfire thing for a full combo. I'm surprised that thing doesn't even cost a meter

Scorpion match up is really difficult for me..
I don't stand a chance up close and if I try to zone they trade with the low hitting hellfire thing for a full combo. I'm surprised that thing doesn't even cost a meter
What variation are you using?

Ok. Can't say I'm an expert, but I've faced a couple online (some decent and some bad), and I've found some things to look for.
1. If you try to zone him, wait for him to attack first. Block Low so you can punish Low Minion grab with Telekick and get in for free. (or EN Telekick for combos) If he uses Sky Minion, he has to spend meter to knock you down. If he doesn't do that, you are at advantage when sky minion hits and can move forward. If you can do instant air sai, that will help you zone while avoiding low minion completely.

2. Telekick will sometimes lose to overhead minion, but you shouldn't be afraid to still try it if you're stuck at full screen. Once you move forward into Roll distance, You can beat all his Minions with Roll on reaction. You can also backdash them, but I get if you don't feel comfortable at range.

3. In close, B12 is great, but Scorpion has a really nice overhead to mix up with. It can be tough up close, so keep an eye on your meter and figure out where you should Armor out or backdash. Especially after he ends his combo with teleport and tries to reset you.

4. You can roll punish his Teleports. And once you hit with a sai, (Standing or Low sai) he has to respect you since minions are slow. Be careful of EN Spear though. It is advantage on block.

Hope that helps some.

With Cage the thing to learn is to learn how to block him - often they will be using F3, D4 to lead into the his overhead. Hold block and hit roll at the end of the strings UNLESS he has meter where they will often add MB dp. I know with A list you can just duck Shadow Kick if they are using that to get in

Kotal you can zone a bit more - less familiar with that one though
The Johnny Cage I play just plays Stunt Double and I think all of his Shadow Kicks in that variation are all mid. But rolling thru his strings when he hits the F3 and D4 should be useful. Can you do it on hit or on block?

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Sooo uh another important note. Scorpion in Hellfire can use flame aura to punish Mileena's ball roll. Take note.

Sooo uh another important note. Scorpion in Hellfire can use flame aura to punish Mileena's ball roll. Take note.
Not familiar with Hellfire Scorpion, so what makes this important? Does he want Flame aura instead of any other combo starter?

JDE

Not familiar with Hellfire Scorpion, so what makes this important? Does he want Flame aura instead of any other combo starter?
Hellfire is his strongest variation. He can use flame aura in any way he chooses. Most of the times, he will use it within a combo. Part of the time, he will use to anti air & use it as a parry, which is what he will do to Milly's ball roll. It also chips people when you're close to him while the Aura is activated, you're losing damage. Even uses it for a standing rest. It also guarantees him a follow up after it. So yeah, it's kind of a big deal that he can do this. With also the fact that he nets 38% off of it. 36% with no meter.

Last edited:
Hellfire Scorpion is strongest variation. He can use flame aura in any way he chooses. Most of the times, he will use it within a combo. Part of the time, he will use to anti air & use it as a parry, which is what he will do to Milly's ball roll. It also chips people when you're close to him while the Aura is activated, you're losing damage. Even uses it for a standing rest. It also guarantees him a follow up after it. So yeah, it's kind of a big deal that he can do this. With also the fact that he nets 38% off of it. 36% with no meter.
Ah so it's more of a counter than a block punish. Gotcha.
I had heard Hellfire was the best variation, I was just thinking why he'd use that as a block punish over any old starter.

JDE

Ah so it's more of a counter than a block punish. Gotcha.
I had heard Hellfire was the best variation, I was just thinking why he'd use that as a block punish over any old starter.
Yeah & the hitbox window from it is good. So even if the player isn't good on using 11, 21, or F3 as to punish after it's block, they can use the aura to stop you when you're rolling near them while you're rolling towards them.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Just a few blanks,

Kung Jin, can we punish his NJP?

Scorpinok, can we stuff his Teleport with the ol' F1 or is it just too quick?

Been consulting with people privately so I kinda missed this thread, but if anyone has any questions let me know.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Just a few blanks,

Kung Jin, can we punish his NJP?

Scorpinok, can we stuff his Teleport with the ol' F1 or is it just too quick?

Been consulting with people privately so I kinda missed this thread, but if anyone has any questions let me know.
I'm not sure about punishing Kung Jin's NJP as I've hardly played any Kung Jins. Scorpion's teleport is too quick to stuff with F1

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
I'm not sure about punishing Kung Jin's NJP as I've hardly played any Kung Jins. Scorpion's teleport is too quick to stuff with F1
Yeah I was pretty in the dark with KJ, but a few have popped up MU is pain as expected, trying to establish what I cannot let them get away with. The Dive Kick bait is nice as someone has stated.

Yeah just cop it and punish, cheers for responding.

Actually anybody shed some light on how we do against Tanya? Got nothing on her just yet but a mate will be picking her up seriously soon, curious to know where we stand in that one.

Actually anybody shed some light on how we do against Tanya? Got nothing on her just yet but a mate will be picking her up seriously soon, curious to know where we stand in that one.
Eh, all I know is that if she's in Naginata Roll punishes her long range mid poke on block at most ranges. Sai is guaranteed. Also Telekick is a pain for her if she's on top of the pole. She's forced to teleport or do something crazy.

In Kobujustu, each part of the Tonfa chain is unsafe to Reversal Roll. Just a matter of when she stops. Both Hazanshu and Drill are B12 or Roll punishable.

EDIT: Be careful of trying to anti-air though, if she teleports and baits you, she can punish you after you land.

Last edited:
Anyone found an armorless option for Sub Zero's Jump 2?

Some options I have tried from best to worst

Uppercut:
- Gets stuffed if blocking
- often reaches over and hits anyway

Roll:
- Gets stuffed

Standing 2:
- Very inconsistent/offline only

Tele:
- Too slow/gets stuffed
- Will cause whiff

Backdash:
- Hits backdash

Blocking:
- You are at -2 and guessing for your life

It sucks because if you within range of it you are also within range of getting hit by slide. Any dirt on this would be greatly appreciated

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
U can duck and D3 to anti cross up for a full combo (I succeeded on this only 1 time). I'm not experienced with this but I can say D3 is a good option

Anyone found an armorless option for Sub Zero's Jump 2?
It sucks because if you within range of it you are also within range of getting hit by slide. Any dirt on this would be greatly appreciated
Mileena's Roll is *usually* a decent anti-air, but it can also be used as a "fuck this entire situation" move. If you think he's going to do it and you don't want to risk getting hit without armor, you can Roll early to just go under people and reset to neutral.

I think in Cryomancer he has a ground pound too, so if he's doing that then yeah, early Roll will lose. You kind of have to do this early roll thing vs FerraTorr's NJ2 cause that shit is ridiculous.

Last edited:
you can Roll early to just go under people and reset to neutral
Yeah - there seems to be no universal answer without armor. It's also difficult to build meter against him because he will gladly trade Ice Ball for Sai.

It seems the law of averages is against her in this as he can just keep doing it so easily and it leads to full combo. With trip guarding being difficult he can also just use it to bait Roll.

I was setting the AI to do
Ji2, B33 (technically punishable but risky)
Ji2, B3B2
Ji2, B33 slide

I can move around and avoid/punish but I am trying to do anything from block I am easily owned.

*Le Sai*