What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Mileena Mileena Matchup Discussion

So kinda discovered this by fluke and I'm not sure if this will help in the matchup on the whole but at least its nice to have one option.

Sub-Zero and his damned Ice Klone in the corner is a nightmare to deal with, especilally when he can bait EX Roll and full combo punish. What I found is that if Sub-Zero goes into his string to Ice Klone and follows up with the overhead, Mileena can use standing 4 to counter hit Zero, hence nullifying the klone. You have to time the standing 4 the moment you see the animation of the overhead begin otherwise you will trade or lose to the overhead. As a bonus standing 4 can also be confirmed into Roll for a full combo.

Now I'll admit this is only one scenario as I have very little experience Sub Zero and this is the most common setup I see so I'm not sure whether it will beat other options. Also if Sub Zero takes a step or two back before using the overhead the timing of standing 4 has to be slighlty delayed, but maybe people can take this idea and develop it further.

@Mr. Mileena
@Premonitionist
@Saboteur-6
@1man3letters
@TakeAChance
@JDE
@Sultani
@All other Mileena players

Did you know that if he throws a clone out, you can ex teleport kick and if he blocks and you land in it, you can just walk through it?

Premonitionist

Call Me Premo - Mileena, D'Vorah, Cassie, Kitana.
So kinda discovered this by fluke and I'm not sure if this will help in the matchup on the whole but at least its nice to have one option.

Sub-Zero and his damned Ice Klone in the corner is a nightmare to deal with, especilally when he can bait EX Roll and full combo punish. What I found is that if Sub-Zero goes into his string to Ice Klone and follows up with the overhead, Mileena can use standing 4 to counter hit Zero, hence nullifying the klone. You have to time the standing 4 the moment you see the animation of the overhead begin otherwise you will trade or lose to the overhead. As a bonus standing 4 can also be confirmed into Roll for a full combo.

Now I'll admit this is only one scenario as I have very little experience Sub Zero and this is the most common setup I see so I'm not sure whether it will beat other options. Also if Sub Zero takes a step or two back before using the overhead the timing of standing 4 has to be slighlty delayed, but maybe people can take this idea and develop it further.

@Mr. Mileena
@Premonitionist
@Saboteur-6
@1man3letters
@TakeAChance
@JDE
@Sultani
@ZeroEffect
@Johnny San
@All other Mileena players
Good stuff, I was actually messing around with this too but didn't find this option. The only thing I found was jumping back and letting the B+2 whiff then roll for combo (which is risky as hell lol) ...but I like the standing 4 more :)

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Good stuff, I was actually messing around with this too but didn't find this option. The only thing I found was jumping back and letting the B+2 whiff then roll for combo (which is risky as hell lol) ...but I like the standing 4 more :)
Yeah, funny thing was I used to think standing 4 wasn't useful in any scenario except for the swag knockdown combo. Glad to see I was proven wrong for at least one scenario :)

Also I made Top 16 in the ESL Pro League with Mileena, maybe I'll make top 8 with her and do some justice for our main girl :)
But if you make top 8 how am i supposed to keep complaining?

I used 4 and then 42 right after because most people recognized 42, but didnt recognize 4 and then got hit with the 42. It worked well

TheGabStandard

Can you EX Sai through? or time Uppercut the way you timed standing 4?
Just tried it and EX Sai seem it can't be done but uppercut and Ball Roll works just as well as standing 4 :).

Edit: tested and the following works at beating Ice Klone

D4
D2
B3
D3
F1
F12
F12B4
Roll

All other moves don't seem to work but with the selection above and with good practice every Ice Klone to overhead can be full combo punished as well as switching sides with Zero in the corner. With this it will be hard pressed to fear Ice Klone in the corner as much as we used to

Last edited:
Just tried it and EX Sai seem it can't be done but uppercut and Ball Roll works just as well as standing 4 :).
Wow ok. Good stuff.
I mainly suggested D2 because Sub Zero can still hit low with Slide, or Throw you into the clone. If you guess low and he starts the overhead, it shouldn't be too hard to mash out D2 from there. Maybe... Roll would be way too hard to do from crouch. You'd have to commit to standing.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Since I rarely ever play the match, what are Sub's main options after a clone in the corner?
Overhead
NJK, NJP, & JIs
Ice smash (when he smashes the ground) - He uses this when you neutral jump. Normal & EX version
F33 mixup shenanigans (his low kick strings)
1 mixups
f2 mixups
D4
D3
Ex Slide mixup (he slides & then you're hit in mid air into the klone for big damage)
Grab into the clone

He may have B2, B3, & B1 options as well. I'll have to look & see & edit the post, but they're very good options.

JDE

@theGabStandard, they nerfed Sub-Zero's trap situations of B1, B2, B3 scenarios :(( feel bad for Sub players because I didn't think it was all that bad). So disregard some of those options. I'll go back & edit this post to see what she can do to him, now since the patch changes made an impact.

TheGabStandard

@theGabStandard, they nerfed Sub-Zero's trap situations of B1, B2, B3 scenarios :(( feel bad for Sub players because I didn't think it was all that bad). So disregard some of those options. I'll go back & edit this post to see what she can do to him, now since the patch changes made an impact.
Oh wow, that's interesting. Was planning to spend some time very soon going over the Zero match so thanks for the heads up :).

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Oh wow, that's interesting. Was planning to spend some time very soon going over the Zero match so thanks for the heads up :).
No, still look into them, because they could still be used but may be unsafe to use or may be useless to use with the klone setups (which they are now). Just they've taken a major toll on how he keeps you in check & forces you to play good defense in the corner (& neutral) game now. So we don't have as much to deal with.

Edit: @theGabStandard Sub-Zero still gets a B2 combo that allows him to loop the situation. It's 32% that requires no meter. So we still have to watch out for that option.

Last edited:

JDE

For wakeups against Jax:
I checked in Pumped up but I assume that Gotcha grabs are in all forms of his variations. His Gotcha grabs (Normal & EX) grabs her out of F1, so you'll need to switch it over a bit with things like: f4, roll, Ex roll, telekick, & Ex telekick.

TheGabStandard

For wakeups against Jax:
I checked in Pumped up but I assume that Gotcha grabs are in all forms of his variations. His Gotcha grabs (Normal & EX) grabs her out of F1, so you'll need to switch it over a bit with things like: f4, roll, Ex roll, telekick, & Ex telekick.
Thanks for the info regarding Sub. I still plan to look into all his options (I realised my last post wasn't clear) and hopefully will find a way out of all of them.

Regarding Jax can F1 beat out wake up Dash Punch? If it could I think it would be difficult to convert into a combo as he would be airborne

JDE

Thanks for the info regarding Sub. I still plan to look into all his options (I realised my last post wasn't clear) and hopefully will find a way out of all of them.

Regarding Jax can F1 beat out wake up Dash Punch? If it could I think it would be difficult to convert into a combo as he would be airborne
It does, but for the EX version, the hit from it forces him in the air before you follow up with anything. For the normal one, you beat it out with f1 completely & can combo. Best to use the same options that I mentioned for his command grabs. You can duck & uppercut all of those options too, even his grabs. Ducking is key in general because it gives you more of a hurtbox widow so that you can punish him for it with roll & other options.

Last edited:
It does, but for the EX version, the hit from it forces him in the air before you follow up with anything. For the normal one, you beat it out with f1 completely & can combo. Best to use the same options that I mentioned for his command grabs. You can duck & uppercut all of those options too, even his grabs. Ducking is key in general because it gives you more of a hurtbox widow so that you can punish him for it with roll & other options.
Never fought Jax in this game, but from what I remember in MK9, Jax seems like his wakeups/specials lost to low-profiling/ducking. (As you said).

I tend to spam D3 against characters I'm not sure I can beat with F1. (Unless it's like Kung Lao or something.) Sure it's less damage, but usually you can either win in speed or escape the attack altogether. But feel free to correct this if Jax is somehow different now.

Last edited: