What's new

Massive Changes in Microsoft's Xbox One Policy

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
After a short, but fiercely tumultuous week following the announcement of the Xbox One, and a litany of fan complains and articles reaching all the way to the Wall Street Journal, Microsoft has taken the unexpected step of completely retooling their Xbox One policy and all of the provisions they'd previously listed. In light of the sea of negative press and sentiment, they have reversed nearly every aspect of their-next generation DRM, online check-in, and copy protection plans.

The changes are as follows:
  • The Xbox One will no longer require an internet connection to play offline games. Even downloaded games will function the same regardless of whether the system is connected
  • The 24-hour network check-in period will be done away with.
  • There will be no restrictions on disc-based games -- buyers will be free to trade and resell dics as they please, like they currently can with the Xbox 360.
  • Region locking is gone.
MS stated that users will need an internet connection to set the system up for the first time; and after that, they'll be free to use it offline as they please.

Ironically, it was the much-maligned Don Mattrick who broke the news on the Xbox's new policy to the world. The implications of this are huge, and it will completely change the landscape of how the Xbox one is viewed as a next-generation option. It also makes a strong statement that the power of social media, and fans in general, can't be ignored.

What do you think about the changes? Does it affect your decisions about your choice of a game system?

Sources:
IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/microsoft-reversing-xbox-one-internet-used-game-policies
GiantBomb - http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Attachments

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Games:
- PS4 and Xbox One will both get the same third party games.
- PS4 will get better exclusives.
- Xbox One will get Killer Instinct, created by a notoriously shitty company. Oh, and Halo.

:)
Also do not forget Gears of War.

Gonna have to disagree with you on PS4 having better exclusives, never have IMO. But that all depends on what kind of games you like and personal preference. But their exlusives have also made it to MLG and sold way more than PS's, just sayin ;)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Sony's exclusive are small news compared to Xbox's.

And good job, guys. Your complaints helped successfully turn the only thing "next-gen" about these consoles into the same situation we have with the current gen.
Did you seriously just call Gran Turismo small news?

On the contrary, I don;t see how this is relevant to anything, the original Xbox's exclusive library mops the floor with the 360's "exclusive" library, what's left of it anyway.

the only thing that have left to do is decrease the price of live member ships because at the end of the day we're still paying $500 flr the system $60 for games and $60 for gold membership. though this news is VERY VERY good and im now considering the xbox one ps4 is still the way to go because of its games and the price for everything is waaaay cheaper. PS4 still has an edge in my decision but a slight one! and does anyone have anything on zods trailer yet? boon is really trolling my life

Gonna have to disagree with you on PS4 having better exclusives, never have IMO. But that all depends on what kind of games you like and personal preference. But their exlusives have also made it to MLG and sold way more than PS's, just sayin ;)

Ps2 exclusives dominated xbox1

Ps3/360 exclusives was based on what liked. PS3 had ton more exclusives due to zero region lock. Gundam vs is still one of the best fighting games made this gen.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Did you seriously just call Gran Turismo small news?

On the contrary, I don;t see how this is relevant to anything, the original Xbox's exclusive library mops the floor with the 360's "exclusive" library, what's left of it anyway.
Yes, I did. Especially in comparison to Gears of War and Halo.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
Xbox did it for the money, money hungry greedy fat bastards, they dont care about consumers, they just want to beef up those preorder numbers and get even with Sony.

but then again who wouldnt do it for money?

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
As a 360 owner, I've been extremely saddenend by the exclusives we got recently... nothing of worth at all.

PS3 exclusives, later on were amazing.

And the line up for PS4 looks stronger.

Honestly, without bungie, Halo sucks and is milked to death. I don't care for car games of either stripe. Gears of War is milked too.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"

It's fine to have your own opinion, but Xbox really only has Gears of War and Halo. There are so many better PS exclusives, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Demon's Souls, inFAMOUS, Killzone, God of War, LittleBigPlanet, I could go on.

Well last time I checked Xbox had only two generic shooters and a racing sim as it's prime exclusives

PS has: God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, Killzone, Littlebigplanet, Infamous, Quantic Dream's exclusives, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Sly and many more. Not to mention that they're having some new interesting IPs for next gen

It's a matter of preference though, but still PS is offering a wider variety of exclusives and they are all top-notch

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Well last time I checked Xbox had only two generic shooters and a racing sim as it's prime exclusives

PS has: God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, Killzone, Littlebigplanet, Infamous, Quantic Dream's exclusives, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Sly and many more. Not to mention that they're having some new interesting IPs for next gen

It's a matter of preference though, but still PS is offering a wider variety of exclusives and they are all top-notch
Couldn't agree more.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You're a little late... But your article is more detailed
Guys, it takes time to write an article, read through everything carefully, check multiple sources, proofread and crop images for the front page.

We also tweet these out to about 6000 people; so I have to make sure the quality is decent.

I'd rather take my time and do it correctly than just slap something minimalist out there with errors and whatnot. But thanks for being concerned :)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yes, I did. Especially in comparison to Gears of War and Halo.
Whatever helps you sleeps at night. Considering it's generated larger market share and sales than both collectively.

You might aswell be saying EVO is just another tournament.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies

Literally none of those games interest me in anyway.

Error

DF2+R2
Oh MS, we just know the minute the console is out, you're gonna go back to your original Xbox One policy.
Yes, it's all an elaborate ruse.

Guys, it takes time to write an article, read through everything carefully, check multiple sources, proofread and crop images for the front page.

We also tweet these out to about 6000 people; so I have to make sure the quality is decent.

I'd rather take my time and do it correctly than just slap something minimalist out there with errors and whatnot. But thanks for being concerned :)
#Illuminati

I agree with others in the thread that Halo 3 was the last really good Halo game. Honestly Destiny seems to me like it will be a better game, especially with an all new story line so it will be like starting fresh. Obviously KI is a huge exclusive for those who played the old KI games ( I didn't but I understand why people are looking forward to it so much ) so the PS4 still seems like a better console in my eyes due to the incorporation of multi game chat and having better hardware from what I hear compared to the Xbox 1