What's new

Massive Changes in Microsoft's Xbox One Policy

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
After a short, but fiercely tumultuous week following the announcement of the Xbox One, and a litany of fan complains and articles reaching all the way to the Wall Street Journal, Microsoft has taken the unexpected step of completely retooling their Xbox One policy and all of the provisions they'd previously listed. In light of the sea of negative press and sentiment, they have reversed nearly every aspect of their-next generation DRM, online check-in, and copy protection plans.

The changes are as follows:
  • The Xbox One will no longer require an internet connection to play offline games. Even downloaded games will function the same regardless of whether the system is connected
  • The 24-hour network check-in period will be done away with.
  • There will be no restrictions on disc-based games -- buyers will be free to trade and resell dics as they please, like they currently can with the Xbox 360.
  • Region locking is gone.
MS stated that users will need an internet connection to set the system up for the first time; and after that, they'll be free to use it offline as they please.

Ironically, it was the much-maligned Don Mattrick who broke the news on the Xbox's new policy to the world. The implications of this are huge, and it will completely change the landscape of how the Xbox one is viewed as a next-generation option. It also makes a strong statement that the power of social media, and fans in general, can't be ignored.

You can read the official announcement here: Don Mattrick's Original Announcement

What do you think about the changes? Does it affect your decisions about your choice of a game system?

Sources:
IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/microsoft-reversing-xbox-one-internet-used-game-policies
GiantBomb - http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Edited by CrimsonShadow

Attachments

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Now all the memes will stop hating on Microsoft and everyone will go back to hating on the WiiU.
I predict sales for Wii U will increase considering all the first party games, and certain third party ones (Sonic and Bayonetta) coming out. Tempted to get one if sales decrease....by like $100. :)

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
incorrect, wii-u has Bayonetta 2, SMT x Nintendo, and Monster Hunter still.
I'm not guna lie, the WiiU games look OK, just not very 2013 is all.

It's the weakest console out of the 3, but that's only by default, it's not a terrible console, just 5 years behind. Anyway, this thread isn't a console war, just good news for those of us that were getting an Xbox anyway :)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
This quick of a turnaround makes even less sense than what their plans were in the first place. Did their stock plummet that badly?

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Good job Microsoft. Good job in seeing your attempt to completely f*ck over your customers for more money has failed. Now you can make this change (that your 8 year old console and every other console this gen already has) so you have a chance in not getting completely crushed by other gaming system options.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Doesn't matter they've already lost. They showed they have no clue when it comes to the voice of the consumer, and the only reason they are doing this is because they were blasted for it. It has nothing to do with anything besides that.

Lmao. Both systems now offer the same things aside from price difference. I wonder what people will bitch about now?
"Whaaaaaa, the One is bigger than the Ps4! Whaaaa"

I will spit on your tomb!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
"We would also like to show how much the consumers matter by giving everyone as much chance as possible to pick one up, so the Xbox One will instead retail for $349"

^ Calling this at TGS.

Lmao. Both systems now offer the same things aside from price difference. I wonder what people will bitch about now?

I will spit on your tomb!

That MS doesn't have japanese dev support like Sony. Can't even debate that one.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Saying NO to a company forcing "the future" down our throats can change how things happen...

Fuck yeah... I may pick up an X1 now ^_^

Are you saying our complaints were not justified? That we bitched about the X1 just to bitch about it? GTFO

"We would also like to show how much the consumers matter by giving everyone as much chance as possible to pick one up, so the Xbox One will instead retail for $349"

^ Calling this at TGS.

Xbox1 isn't even being launched in Japan at the same time as the US. Why would they be at TGS? They haven't even shown up at Gamescon in years and thats in Germany.