What's new

Massive Changes in Microsoft's Xbox One Policy

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
You don't know jack shit about the PS4 or X1 gaming experience yet.

Kinect sold separately = supplementary feature (arguably a "gimmick"), while Kinect mandatory = universal feature. Developers are now less inhibited by concerns of losing time and money on an smaller, isolated population. You can't deny the potential in major studious taking interest in newer technologies.

Yeah, Ryse, a launch title has great kinect integration such as... MAYBE using your controller as a shield possibly not sure maybe.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Motion sensors are bad, have always been bad, and will always remain bad.

If I want to exercise I will get off my damn couch and go exercise.

Motion sensors are bad, have always been bad, and will always remain bad.
The 1st motion sensor completely sucks compared to today's. It's called progress. According to you, progress doesn't happen and today we're maxed out on technological innovation? No offense, but that's retarded.

If I want to exercise I will get off my damn couch and go exercise.
I don't know what this has to do with the Kinect, but if you're just trying to motivate yourself with a monologue post about exercise, then I'm happy for you. Try the Wii Fit.

Zoidberg747

The 1st motion sensor completely sucks compared to today's. It's called progress. According to you, progress doesn't happen and today we're maxed out on technological innovation? No offense, but that's retarded.

I don't know what this has to do with the Kinect, but if you're just trying to motivate yourself with a monologue post about exercise, then I'm happy for you. Try the Wii Fit.
That is my point. The whole motion sensor craze started with the wii, because it was said you could burn calories while you game. So even though you are playing overall shitty games(the controls were awful), at least you were burning calories. Or you could have...you know... actually exercised.

Also, "innovation" is often mistaken for gimmicky and stupid ideas. People thought sirie was a great idea, until they realize they have to be somewhere completely quiet to use her. They thought making a blanket with sleeves was brilliant(You know you have to be lazy if you cant even mover your arm out from under the blanket), and they thought they were smart when making motion sensors the main way to play games.

Long story short, new ideas are not always "innovation" and are sometimes "just stupid"

That is my point. The whole motion sensor craze started with the wii, because it was said you could burn calories while you game. So even though you are playing overall shitty games(the controls were awful), at least you were burning calories. Or you could have...you know... actually exercised.

Also, "innovation" is often mistaken for gimmicky and stupid ideas. People thought sirie was a great idea, until they realize they have to be somewhere completely quiet to use her. They thought making a blanket with sleeves was brilliant(You know you have to be lazy if you cant even mover your arm out from under the blanket), and they thought they were smart when making motion sensors the main way to play games.

Long story short, new ideas are not always "innovation" and are sometimes "just stupid"
That's completely true, new "innovations" can easily be gimmicks. But the argument was whether Kinect could actually be utilized beyond any gimmicky function. Again, the problem before was the lack of interest due to less reward for developers, and you can't expect things to grow into something good without proper cultivation and attention.

Now, the Kinect is ubiquitous for all X1 systems; game designers can be more creative and integrate different gaming experiences for consumers. It's no longer restricted to only appealing to Dance Central and Nintendo fans. It basically opens the canvas more.

Zoidberg747

That's completely true, new "innovations" can easily be gimmicks. But the argument was whether Kinect could actually be utilized beyond any gimmicky function. Again, the problem before was the lack of interest due to less reward for developers, and you can't expect things to grow into something good without proper cultivation and attention.

Now, the Kinect is ubiquitous for all X1 systems; game designers can be more creative and integrate different gaming experiences for consumers. It's no longer restricted to only appealing to Dance Central and Nintendo fans. It basically opens the canvas more.
But it also alienates people like me who dont want new "creative ways" to play. Because for me the creativity is not how I play, it is in whatever I am playing, whatever situations I am put in. Being in the middle of battle swinging an imaginary sword around not only makes me feel ridiculous, it takes me out of the game.

If you have to "force" something to make it better, then it probably wasnt too good in the first place.

Also the Kinect is even worse than the wii in motion sensing department. So excuse me if I am not to thrilled at paying 100 dollars extra for it.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Actually 400$ will buy you a PC with higher specs than both systems so by your logic you should buy a PC instead of a PS4. Welcome to PC gaming buddy!

Also I really don't understand the people saying they are "forced" to buy a kinect. The only reason this is an issue is because kinect was sold separately with the 360. I don't see people bitching that the Nintendo forces you to have a tablet or forces you to have a motion sensor. Do you really think Nintendo couldn't sell their systems cheaper if they didn't come bundled with a tablet and motion sensor? Let's not forget that before the wii Nintendo functioned just like every other console, the wii came along and added motion control and the motion control sensor came with every system "FORCING" people to have it. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here?
I already have spent $800 building a PC so im not worried about graphical fidelity. Speaking as a current xbox 360 owner, I would like to see the price of the game system lowered by $100, and if that means sacrificing kinnect then so be it. My xbox will be in my room, not my living room.

But it also alienates people like me who dont want new "creative ways" to play. Because for me the creativity is not how I play, it is in whatever I am playing, whatever situations I am put in. Being in the middle of battle swinging an imaginary sword around not only makes me feel ridiculous, it takes me out of the game.

If you have to "force" something to make it better, then it probably wasnt too good in the first place.

Also the Kinect is even worse than the wii in motion sensing department. So excuse me if I am not to thrilled at paying 100 dollars extra for it.
Since you want nothing new, you're being alienated? No, the more appropriate term is left behind. YOU may be resistant towards change, but not everyone wants the same product over and over again. Don't ignore the fact that the games you enjoy today have evolved from a progressive video game industry... besides, do you think Microsoft and Sony want to (or even should) cease growth and development because you don't want new ways to play?

Everybody's favorite argument seems to be that the Kinect = swinging their arms wildly in the air and dancing like an idiot. Kinect doesn't have to be that. Voice activation, physical feedback, infrared sensor, thermal detection, facial recognition, etc. doesn't even translate to sword wielding. They provide other mechanics that can be explored. More options = less restrictions, plain and simple.

And the Kinect2 should be much more capable than the Wii, according to sources who've experienced the new system:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/22/microsofts-new-kinect-sees-everything-you-do-video-demo/

Regardless, you're excused. Nobody's forcing you to buy anything you don't want.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
This article made think about the Joker saying "You're fired." in IGAU. Because that is basically what happened no matter how Microsoft spins it.

Despite the systems changes I'm still not committed to purchasing the Xbox One.