What's new

Strategy - Reptile Low Dmg output

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
reptile was always my main but when i started MKX i directly felt him low tier, because : low damage, no more safe acid hand (overhead), this time no overhead and something really safe, hard to put acid ball in a combo withouth meter, the game became faster but reptile dash not and more it's no longer safe even in EX version. No more setups like MK9 => let's ur very slow acid ball come behind like a cover and do some combo strings, no more triple dash when the opponent is on the ground. So i leave him atm and play faster characters like cassie or kano commando

Kalaise

Noob
reptile was always my main but when i started MKX i directly felt him low tier, because : low damage, no more safe acid hand (overhead), this time no overhead and something really safe, hard to put acid ball in a combo withouth meter, the game became faster but reptile dash not and more it's no longer safe even in EX version. No more setups like MK9 => let's ur very slow acid ball come behind like a cover and do some combo strings, no more triple dash when the opponent is on the ground. So i leave him atm and play faster characters like cassie or kano commando
I dont ever comment this stuff but that was a really lame reply. Go try reptile again man :/

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
His oh is neutral. He still has the same force ball setups.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
low damage output? maybe, but what reptile has lost in damage and zoning in this game, he has gained in confirms. he can literally confirm off of anything now into a full combo and thats scary good. while he doesnt have the most explosive damage output *cough, kung jin cough* he has the ability to score damage in any and every scenario.

his 8 frame mid that leads into 30% meterless is nothing to ignore either. its an amazing punish string for reptile

also Reptile has some of the best setups in the game. so dont focus too much on the actual damage itself

Method

Full Combo Punishable
his 8 frame mid that leads into 30% meterless is nothing to ignore either. its an amazing punish string for reptile
Which string is that, if you don't mind me asking? 12 xx df3, njp, (step forward) 21, f412 xx slide? Not sure of the frame data.

EDIT: Nooooope. 12 starts high at 10 frames. Now that I'm looking at the data, it must be a f412 xx bf2, 21, f412 thing ...

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
EDIT: Nooooope. 12 starts high at 10 frames. Now that I'm looking at the data, it must be a f412 xx bf2, 21, f412 thing ...
you got it, i normally run cancel for the last f412 because it isnt super reliable without run canceling. if youre a pro you could f412xxdash, f41, f412xxslide (32%) last run cancel is kinda tight

Method

Full Combo Punishable
you got it, i normally run cancel for the last f412 because it isnt super reliable without run canceling. if youre a pro you could f412xxdash, f41, f412xxslide (32%) last run cancel is kinda tight
I'm no pro, as much as I'd like to sacrifice my already spotty execution for an extra 2%. But good to know. :)

In fact, I'm having a shit time managing 30%. I can do 29% without fail (and without needing to RC), cutting the last string to f41xxdash. If I do the full f412 the slide whiffs underneath my opponent during the back flip.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Doesn't matter that his meterless damage is low when, in Nimble, he gets not only 34% minimum when carrying you to a wall, once he's there, he nearly breaks 50%. Not to mention, he has the ability to completely throw away the ability to properly judge his distance.

Zaccel

Noob
I wouldn't call his damage high, but I think it's more than adequate for what he does--which is to say pretty much anything. Good normals, good speed, great corner carry (and damage) in Nimble, 2spooky Deceptive situations, and some zoning (though I still can't find a good time for forceballs). He's pretty flexible. Wanting crazy damage on top is probably asking too much. I've still been hammering away at Noxious hoping for decent chip damage and wakeup possibilities, but I remain unsure how valuable the DoT will fare in the long run. Regardless, Nimble thoroughly covers the corner game and Deceptive doesn't need damage, so whatever. His damage may require more wrong guesses from the opponent, but he has lots of options to work with.

I'll admit I wasn't sold on him at first either, but I've found other characters to play if I want to hit like a truck. Once I embraced the footsies and oki (love b34 so much) I've found I don't miss the damage much.

low damage output? maybe, but what reptile has lost in damage and zoning in this game, he has gained in confirms. he can literally confirm off of anything now into a full combo and thats scary good. while he doesnt have the most explosive damage output *cough, kung jin cough* he has the ability to score damage in any and every scenario.

also Reptile has some of the best setups in the game. so dont focus too much on the actual damage itself
This. Although I feel that his forceballs are a fantastic pressure tool as well.

nodq

wicked
I personally think his mid-screen meterless damage is fine. I can consistently get 25-30% damage off several strings that leaves the opponent in a hard knockdown and I can dash to reverse there wake up input or a number of other options.

I know what your saying though. Compared to MK9 Reptile and other characters in this game he does less meterless damage for sure.

However, in my humble opinion if he had 35-45% meterless damage mid-screen combos he would be broken. I touch you once and I take away 1/4 of your health...plus set up's for days.

I say he is fine. Thanks :)
Then he would have same status than KungJin for example. But ok, many people consider KJ broken too.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
This. Although I feel that his forceballs are a fantastic pressure tool as well.
I never feel comfortable when im putting a forceball on the screen. I never feel confident in my ability to use them because theyre so sluggish. The only guaranteed fb setup i found was f412xxdash, f412xxklaw swipe, then forceball on the hkd. It doesnt work on sub zero though -- no fb setups work on subzero. I wouldalso be nice if fbs hit mid so people actually had to armor through them...oh well

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Yes, fbs being a mid would be great, but I'm afraid it's going to push his game through the roof against non-teleporters.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
You be crazy. I been playing him for a little over a week and I think he's pretty good. His dmg is low but he gets to do it a lot thanks to his force ball. Also he can get 27 meterless midscreen with isn't bad.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Yes, fbs being a mid would be great, but I'm afraid it's going to push his game through the roof against non-teleporters.
I mean thats how it was in mk9. Reptile wasnt the strongest character in the game but every character had to repspect his playstyle because of the forceballs. btw theres armor in this game so mid forceballs wouldnt be too much. look at how good ice clone is -- you basically need armor to beat it

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Mid forceballs and an overhead claw swipe would top my list of dream buffs.

And a 6 frame poke, of course. :D

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
i agree, reptile should have a real poke, ovh klaw swipe and mid forceballs. hmm that would be a dream

*would he be too good if they made klaw swipe a meterless bounce instead of a overhead?

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Probably. Can you imagine Kano if his db1 EX was meterless? Holy shit.

I do wish the klaw pounce wasn't so hella unsafe, though. The recovery is ridiculous. It'd be nice to have that yolo long range db4f launch option without the -700 block adv.

It's pretty clear that Reptile's damage scaling is harsh, and design wise, his variations are meant to offset that. And they probably do ... though deceptive is a hard sell in that regard.

It's a tough pill to swallow when Kotal Kahn (for instance) can crap out a 32% mid screen meterless with f2 f2 f2 d2.

But that's the price of being stylish. :)

Last edited:

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
His oh is neutral. He still has the same force ball setups.
Actually he doesn't. Once everyone realizes you can low profile under them (d4s or even some d3s) you can practically throw fb setups out the window. Almost the entire cast can punish FB combo enders with or without meter because recovery is terrible and they have low profile moves like slide / takedown or they could just have a teleport lol.

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Actually he doesn't. Once everyone realizes you can low profile under them (d4s or even some d3s) you can practically throw fb setups out the window. Almost the entire cast can punish FB combo enders with or without meter because recovery is terrible and they have low profile moves like slide / takedown or they could just have a teleport lol.
You can bait and punish the low profiling.

If youre referring to scorp, he can only punish you if you use slow fb.