What's new

Strategy - Reptile Low Dmg output

I never feel comfortable when im putting a forceball on the screen. I never feel confident in my ability to use them because theyre so sluggish. The only guaranteed fb setup i found was f412xxdash, f412xxklaw swipe, then forceball on the hkd. It doesnt work on sub zero though -- no fb setups work on subzero. I wouldalso be nice if fbs hit mid so people actually had to armor through them...oh well
Sluggish, yes, but people respect them.

My personal use for them is almost like a zoning tool. Mixing up fast and slow forceballs, and catching somebody as they're jumping in. Plus, I don't have a problem using enhanced forceballs, as I save meter for enhanced specials, and less for combos.

If you knock subzero down, and you know he's going to pop a clone, a forceball with an acid spit behind destroys the clone and hits him. Or takeda and scorpion players will get impatient and teleport. If you used the forceball after a knockdown or combo string, then you get a combo punish.

The forceballs are by no means abusable, and a lot of characters can armor through them, but they still give Reptile a little variety in his arsenal.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
If you knock subzero down, and you know he's going to pop a clone, a forceball with an acid spit behind destroys the clone and hits him. Or takeda and scorpion players will get impatient and teleport. If you used the forceball after a knockdown or combo string, then you get a combo punish.
or he could just wakeup slide..i dont know if you tried but theres only a couple ways to put a truly safe forceball on the screen. forceball blow up takedas ex tele so hard though ;)

Probably. Can you imagine Kano if his db1 EX was meterless? Holy shit.

I do wish the klaw pounce wasn't so hella unsafe, though. The recovery is ridiculous. It'd be nice to have that yolo long range db4f launch option without the -700 block adv.

It's pretty clear that Reptile's damage scaling is harsh, and design wise, his variations are meant to offset that. And they probably do ... though deceptive is a hard sell in that regard.

It's a tough pill to swallow when Kotal Kahn (for instance) can crap out a 32% mid screen meterless with f2 f2 f2 d2.

But that's the price of being stylish. :)

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Only because anti air properties I'd say.
I kinda have success using them for AA because of how slow the regular slow one moves.
Guys stop with the denial lol. MKX forceballs start BEHIND HIM which is a tremendous difference on the negative side. You literally never have to fear running into a forceball, even an enhanced one. They aren't meaty mids, a ton of low profiling moves go under them. -19 in block strings. Very bad recovery and EX fb doesnt recover instantly and are also -19 as opposed to +1...

In a game where AAs aren't insanely dominant, Mk9 reptile would have had the best AA in the game....Its crazy to think.....if you give Mk9 Reptile the 50/50 and f21 grab string that MKX has and insert him into MKX I have no doubt he'd be considered in the top.

I'm still scratching my head why EX dash doesn't have armor considering its -18 and can be blocked unlock Mk9 ex dash that went through blocks for +5.

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Guys stop with the denial lol. MKX forceballs start BEHIND HIM which is a tremendous difference on the negative side. You literally never have to fear running into a forceball, even an enhanced one. They aren't meaty mids, a ton of low profiling moves go under them. -19 in block strings. Very bad recovery and EX fb doesnt recover instantly and are also -19 as opposed to +1...

In a game where AAs aren't insanely dominant, Mk9 reptile would have had the best AA in the game....Its crazy to think.....if you give Mk9 Reptile the 50/50 and f21 grab string that MKX has and insert him into MKX I have no doubt he'd be considered in the top.

I'm still scratching my head why EX dash doesn't have armor considering its -18 and can be blocked unlock Mk9 ex dash that went through blocks for +5.
It'd be nice if Reptile came back to the way he was pre-release. Safe OH klaw swipe sounds delicious.

Personally I feel Reptile needs a damage buff. I have been playing him for about 2 weeks and can say without a doubt that he is one of the most difficult characters in the game. He just need 2% or 3% buff. I don't want him to have 36% one meter combos. But I would like to feel like I am punishing my opponent instead of tickling them. 22% on a one meter combo is weak. Hell, 28% on 1 meter is weak. They made him rely heavily on mobility and mixups. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Ermac, Kung Jin, Kung Lao and Jacqui all can do 40%+ one bar. For ever one Scorpion combo, I have to do 2 and half Reptile combos to even it out. I don't want him OP. I just want him to be good. Almost everyone has a better neutral game, better zoning, better mixups, and better damage. I love Reptile. I think his Tournament Kostume makes him the coolest looking character in the game. But every time I lose to someone with him, all I can think is " If I had used Jacqui, I would of destroyed you"

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
Personally I feel Reptile needs a damage buff. I have been playing him for about 2 weeks and can say without a doubt that he is one of the most difficult characters in the game. He just need 2% or 3% buff. I don't want him to have 36% one meter combos. But I would like to feel like I am punishing my opponent instead of tickling them. 22% on a one meter combo is weak. Hell, 28% on 1 meter is weak. They made him rely heavily on mobility and mixups. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Ermac, Kung Jin, Kung Lao and Jacqui all can do 40%+ one bar. For ever one Scorpion combo, I have to do 2 and half Reptile combos to even it out. I don't want him OP. I just want him to be good. Almost everyone has a better neutral game, better zoning, better mixups, and better damage. I love Reptile. I think his Tournament Kostume makes him the coolest looking character in the game. But every time I lose to someone with him, all I can think is " If I had used Jacqui, I would of destroyed you"
Bro, f412 dash 21 f412 is like 31% (not sure of exact damage) and that's meterless... His damage output is low, but he's all about short damage alot of the time, or at least that's how I play him.

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
Hitting that combo is hard as hell offline. Hitting it online is nearly impossible.
To piggyback on what Bobbyxton said, it's definitely one of his easiest BnB's. Connecting the 21 after the dash is just tricky in the beginning simply because you expect to have to do it immediately when you can't. Like Bobby said, you'll eventually get the feel of when to use 21 (you have a pretty good window to do it, allowing it to hit consistently online) and then it'll fall in line.

Hitting that combo is hard as hell offline. Hitting it online is nearly impossible.
Probably hard online but if you are having problems with that combo offline you just need to lab more: Reptile damage is the perfect example of how damage should be in this game 17% off an OH (which is + on block if I'm not wrong) or 15% + ball setup, B34 is a really good low string and you can commit to it via EX claw for 27% (I think) damage, when you're close use F412 when you're at middle distance F21 is a good advancing string when you're far you can combine BF1 with the fast and slow balls to zone or use a slow one to get close safely.
The only thing I would buff would be his crappy -72 on block OH special that should probably be something like -14 on block and have 22 startup frames, making toxic damage unscalable would in my opinion make sense and a slightly faster startup on his balls could be considered.

Just hit 21 as late as possible and f412 as soon as 21 is done, eventually it'll become second nature man
I can do the combo offline. I can do almost everyone of Reptile's combo offline. No problem. I have casuals at my house weekly. My problem is how little damage he does with one bar of meter. It feels like a waste. Ermac has 39% no meter combos. I am not asking for that. I want him to get atleast 34% or 35% with one bar. I understand he has good mix-ups and set-ups but 27% or 29% for f41 db2mb f21 1+2 is non-sense and I should at least hit the 30s with it.

Gravelands

I can do the combo offline. I can do almost everyone of Reptile's combo offline. No problem. I have casuals at my house weekly. My problem is how little damage he does with one bar of meter. It feels like a waste. Ermac has 39% no meter combos. I am not asking for that. I want him to get atleast 34% or 35% with one bar. I understand he has good mix-ups and set-ups but 27% or 29% for f41 db2mb f21 1+2 is non-sense and I should at least hit the 30s with it.
Reptile has 34%/36% 1 meter combos that aren't corner combos, either.

His 34% 1 Meter is F41xxEX Klaw - NJP - rc into 21 - F412xxSlide
His 36% is something like F412xxDash - 21 - F211+3MB - rc F412xxSlide (there may be an NJP in there after the F211+3 but I can't remember)

You had said that the F412xxDash - 21 - F412xxSlide was "hard as hell" offline, yet now you say you can do it no problem. If you can pull them off no problem and have weekly casuals, then you hitting 2x 30%+ combos will win you the game assuming your dishing out the chip damage w/ pressure, there isn't much reason for Reptile's damage to get buffed over some of the other things that could be addressed first. I get your frustration with his damage output, and using 1 bar to get less than what Ermac gets for no bars looks like the shaft, but there are still things to learn and there are still changes to be made, so who knows?

Reptile has 34%/36% 1 meter combos that aren't corner combos, either.

His 34% 1 Meter is F41xxEX Klaw - NJP - rc into 21 - F412xxSlide
His 36% is something like F412xxDash - 21 - F211+3MB - rc F412xxSlide (there may be an NJP in there after the F211+3 but I can't remember)

You had said that the F412xxDash - 21 - F412xxSlide was "hard as hell" offline, yet now you say you can do it no problem. If you can pull them off no problem and have weekly casuals, then you hitting 2x 30%+ combos will win you the game assuming your dishing out the chip damage w/ pressure, there isn't much reason for Reptile's damage to get buffed over some of the other things that could be addressed first. I get your frustration with his damage output, and using 1 bar to get less than what Ermac gets for no bars looks like the shaft, but there are still things to learn and there are still changes to be made, so who knows?
Saying a combo is hard as hell. Doesn't mean I can't execute it. A 5% buff on my previous mentioned combo would not be unfair.

Gravelands

Saying a combo is hard as hell. Doesn't mean I can't execute it. A 5% buff on my previous mentioned combo would not be unfair.
Agreed, it probably wouldn't be unfair, but would you rather have EX Klaw Swipe as an Overhead, or a 5% buff (or make it so it doesn't scale as hard) to his F211+3 string? There's not a wrong answer there, so if you prefer the buff, fair enough. I just feel that the added OH would help Reptile much more.

haketh

Noob
Agreed, it probably wouldn't be unfair, but would you rather have EX Klaw Swipe as an Overhead, or a 5% buff (or make it so it doesn't scale as hard) to his F211+3 string? There's not a wrong answer there, so if you prefer the buff, fair enough. I just feel that the added OH would help Reptile much more.
How does EX Claw being OH actually help Reptile? Yeah EX Swipe has a bit more range than B2 but that's not really gonna help him. All he really needs is a few shaves of start up or recovery shaved on forceballs.

*swipe as an over head and 5% buff

Gravelands

How does EX Claw being OH actually help Reptile? Yeah EX Swipe has a bit more range than B2 but that's not really gonna help him. All he really needs is a few shaves of start up or recovery shaved on forceballs.
Agreed 100% on the acid balls, but EX Klaw absolutely helps Reptile in just about any situation that you'd use it. Currently it's mid, so the opponent literally doesn't even have to think. If you're mixing it up enough, the EX Klaw Swipe being OH adds much more to Rep's arsenal that 5% extra damage here and there wouldn't.

The only reason I even bring up OH Klaw is simply because that's how his move used to function, so if there are for whatever reason any changes made to Reptile in terms of functionality, I feel like that would be the change most likely to be done.