What's new

Strategy - Reptile Low Dmg output

RYX

BIG PUSHER
This thread is bad

I remember when people cried about Flash and Bane and turned out they were top tier material. .
reminder that bane was legitimately bad when his venom debuff gave most of the cast 100% combos against him and his dash was slow as balls. I'm pretty sure most of the bane community went out of their way to tell everyone how good he was as well, but it took a while for someone to actually show his stuff offline so he was slept on for a few months

raiden was also pretty solid until his teleport got nerfed

and kano had the misfortune of beating up noobs too many times online

Kalaise

Noob
I'd like to explain you 1 thing real quick. I come from street fighter and have been playing competitively for 2 years now. From my personal experience i can tell you that in order to consider a character good you must consider different aspects of it. The damage is just 1 of them along with: pokes, zoning, starters, mixup potential and mobility. Let's cover reptile in a bunch of words. He has a decent dmg considering 32% midscreen meterless combo, 36+ corner meterless combo, 20% from midscreen overhead and 28+% from low starter and a bar. Now you might think he lacks a bit of dmg but not too much. If u think about his pokes u will agree with me they are fast enough (f412, b2, b1d4 etc.) and have good range (f211+3). He punishes most specials on block with slide and EX slide. He has Insane pressure with overhead-low mixup since u combo off of both and are completely safe. Option selectiong EX fb on your lows you guarantee a combo with 1 bar and are completely safe on block without even wastin meter. The pressure you can apply with force balls is nonsense in most situations and im not even considering the nimble mixup potential. Personally I think reptile is high tier and even a minimum damage buff would make him incredibly overpowered; he already is perfect in terms of continuous pressure. Feel free to answer me if you have any doubt about what i've said. Peace
I understand that now thanks for the clear explanation on what your thoughts are. Glad to see what people think about reptile :)

Tiki

Noob
I understand that now thanks for the clear explanation on what your thoughts are. Glad to see what people think about reptile :)
This was my first reply on TYM I registered today. Glad to meet a new community :) I will contribute sporadically with what I've come up with. (for example I haven't seen anywhere the midscreen combo I go for when landing an overhead: b2, run, f412 xx far punce -> 20% meterless against the 15% i usually see). Will be more active on this forum hopefully

Kalaise

Noob
This was my first reply on TYM I registered today. Glad to meet a new community :) I will contribute sporadically with what I've come up with. (for example I haven't seen anywhere the midscreen combo I go for when landing an overhead: b2, run, f412 xx far punce -> 20% meterless against the 15% i usually see). Will be more active on this forum hopefully
That's the exact same overhead punisher I go for rofl! What low starter do you use?

Kalaise

Noob
There is so much downplaying in this thread. MK9 all over again. #Reptiletop5
Relax nobody is downplaying him. Everyone at one point or another has clarified they were voicing concerns and not underestimating the character. we all love reptile :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Relax nobody is downplaying him. Everyone at one point or another has clarified they were voicing concerns and not underestimating the character. we all love reptile :)
In other words they get called out and changed their mind. #bitchmade

Tiki

Noob
That's the exact same overhead punisher I go for rofl! What low starter do you use?
I usually go for b3 into double option select (b3 xx EX fb, d, 4). I still gotta test the second OS which should basically let u continue the b34 string on block. What this does is a option selected launcher. After that i find the most damaging combo to be: b3 xx EX fb, step, nj2, run, 21, f412 xx slide. Don't remember the exact dmg but it should be around 30%. The other option i go for is b1d4 xx EX swipe into the same combo. These are the ones that do the most dmg.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I'd love to get the chance to play against him. But your point once again is weak. One of the best if not the best player right now isn't equal to every good Mileena I've played so far. That's kinda why he's at the top, because he's proven to be better than almost everyone else. You'll need to make a more reliable comparison if you want your point to be strong.
When you're theory crafting, you take into account the character being played at the highest level. I don't care about your friends who can kinda play Mileena but not at the highest level. That's how it works.
And I'm not sure if you meant to put the line about me saying we've discovered almost all the game has to offer somewhere else, because it had nothing to do with this that statement, but regardless, It's factual that we have discovered the majority this game has to offer so far. How could you disagree? We went from having almost no knowledge, to having the entire game at our fingertips, and then 9 days on top of that to study everything. So yea we certainly have discovered most of what the game has to offer. You seem to be taking this as "we've discovered everything this game has to offer". There's still a lot to discover and learn and test and practice, but percentage wise we've explored most of it.
You keep saying that. You can't be this naive I feel I'm being trolled.
That's been every player's excuse since the time I started using this website to try to weaken my case. The "online", and my age. It's true I've never played against "pros" offline, but I've had a fair amount of experience against many decent players offline. I could punish very few things a little more consistently, and I could consistently d1 aa crossups, the only thing in the entire game that I couldn't do very consistently already in an online setting. Footsies didn't change, AA's didn't change, punishing didn't change, combos didn't change, pressure didn't change. I don't know if you have really bad internet or have the misfortune to play only against people with really bad internet, but there is almost nothing I can do offline that I can't do just as well online, given I'm playing with someone who also has a good connection.
If you genuinely think this, then you have never ever played at a decent level offline. Ever. Sorry, but you're clueless. That's how it is. You're saying that in MK9 online, you could play the same way you play offline. This is hilariously incorrect.
I'm more than positive this wont change your stance on the matter, since it's one of your two only excuses to try to weaken my claim, but at least understand it doesn't actually hold water. I'd also like you to note that the biggest and most competitive game the world has ever seen, "League of Legends", has players that spend 10-14 hours playing the game per day in a house full of their team playing against other pros online. League of Legends requires an equal level of speed and timing as fighting games, if not even at a higher level than fighting games. Though they don't require the level of timing and speed at all times throughout a game like fighting games do (LoL games last 30-60 minutes on average), the times when it's needed it's just as important if not more important than in fighting games. The LoL community loves to bitch about dumb shit trust me, but I've never heard someone complain about their online connection hindering the competitiveness of the game, unless they have like 200 ping of course.
Again, it seems that you don't even understand basic frame data. I don't even know what to say, seriously, this is so bad. You seriously think that LoL requires the same latency as a fighting game? Where you need to do 1 frame links? Do you genuinely believe that? If you travel, ever, anywhere, you're gonna be up for a rude awakening.
No, you have very much not been quoting me. The closest thing you've done to quoting (aside from using the literal quote system in the website to quote me and then still get what I was saying wrong) me is saying I said or implied things I never said or implied. Even worse saying I said things that I've already said previously in this damn thread I disagree with. I know it would be a lot of work just to understand how you've made yourself look stupid, but feel free to go back and read my previous posts where I said Reptile's combo damage in fact does NOT make him bad, but then you tell me I think fighters are only as good as there combo damage. This is only one example, but there are more if you feel like looking. And the one time I got you confused with blowing up OP and the other guy saying Reptile was bad I've already addressed, and that hasn't happened since then, so I'm not sure what you were talking about here.
Wow you can't keep track of anything.
I was 16-17 when I couldn't travel across state to play with my online friends in local events, but I'm sure that "baby" comment made you feel superior in some way, since as far as this argument is going you have no room to feel anything but inferiority.
You're still a baby.
So this is where your misinterpreting what I've been saying; I'm starting to understand. I agree with everything you said. And once again you seem to forget I said already in this thread that no fighters have any place yet in a tier system and nothing is set in stone. You jumped to that conclusion on your own without any help from me. All I said is we've discovered the majority that this game has to offer. I meant this in a more tangible sense, like combos and tech, not tiers and match ups. And this will be the fourth time I've said it, but we still have a lot to learn and discover (especially in terms of tiers and match ups), but we have certainly discovered most of what this game has to offer, in the tangible sense. I'm sure certain things we discover will drastically change the way some fighters are played and tiered, but that doesn't change the fact that what we've discovered up to this point as a whole is still greater.
You're still going at it. You think most tech has been discovered. I don't think you even know what match ups means. Hell I don't think you even realize what you're saying.
I'm sure it was. I didn't play Injustice, I took a break after MK9 and mostly just watched from time to time. And I'm sure tournies 3 months after this game's release will also be pretty bad compared to the end of the game's life cycle. I'm not seeing how this is a point against my previous statements. I said we still have much to learn, and even more than that, we have to practice and get consistent and practice tech and set ups and combos that we haven't discovered yet, and make tier lists and flesh out match ups.
You:
It's true the game is still very young, but we've discovered almost everything the game has to offer. Hundreds if not thousands of good players have tirelessly tested each fighter to produce the best results.
Couldn't get over it so much so that you couldn't even form a logical reason as to why it's inaccurate. Probably because all the rationality lays on my side. I'll mention again that this thread was designed to talk about Reptile combos. And when I said we've discovered most of what this game has to offer, I was talking about the tangible stuff inside the game, like combos and tech and set ups etc. I wasn't talking about the stuff that we the players do outside of the game to raise the competitive bar. On that front I agree, we've only scratched the surface.
1) No one has discovered the optimal combos and they'll probably take more than a year to discover.
2) No one has discovered efficient, major-proven setups or tech yet. You know why? Because you actually need to play competitively first and the game just came out.
3) No one knows match up specific tech. No one knows match ups. Match ups take YEARS to evolve.
4) No one knows ANYTHING yet. Just because you know the move list doesn't mean you know ANYTHING. I played MK9 for years and I was STILL learning stuff 4 years later.

This is just too dumb.
Lol defintely not shitting on him. You're just mad you got fucked its ok bb
So Troy told me your Evo bracket and it's funny that you were bragging about it. I guess your best accomplishment was beating people who don't even own the game lawl

"I could punish very few things a little more consistently, and I could consistently d1 aa crossups, the only thing in the entire game that I couldn't do very consistently already in an online setting. Footsies didn't change, AA's didn't change, punishing didn't change, combos didn't change, pressure didn't change. I don't know if you have really bad internet or have the misfortune to play only against people with really bad internet, but there is almost nothing I can do offline that I can't do just as well online, given I'm playing with someone who also has a good connection."

@RampaginDragon umm.. did we play the same game?? This sounds nothing like my experience with MK9 at all

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
"I could punish very few things a little more consistently, and I could consistently d1 aa crossups, the only thing in the entire game that I couldn't do very consistently already in an online setting. Footsies didn't change, AA's didn't change, punishing didn't change, combos didn't change, pressure didn't change. I don't know if you have really bad internet or have the misfortune to play only against people with really bad internet, but there is almost nothing I can do offline that I can't do just as well online, given I'm playing with someone who also has a good connection."

@RampaginDragon umm.. did we play the same game?? This sounds nothing like my experience with MK9 at all
My online experience had very little latency, It wasn't perfect obviously, but I didn't play someone if our connection wasn't as good as the netcode would allow. Which like I said, wasn't perfect, but it wasn't noticeable outside of the most extreme circumstances. So either you or your opponents don't have high tier internet, or we indeed have been playing different games.

Until this thread I had no idea people could be THAT self-entitled when talking about fighting games. Jesus fucking christ, I'll say it again: can we get over this already?

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
When you're theory crafting, you take into account the character being played at the highest level. I don't care about your friends who can kinda play Mileena but not at the highest level. That's how it works.
You keep saying that. You can't be this naive I feel I'm being trolled.
Actually that's how bad theory crafters craft. Someone with any sense would craft according to a reasonable level of play, not the one best player.

If you genuinely think this, then you have never ever played at a decent level offline. Ever. Sorry, but you're clueless. That's how it is. You're saying that in MK9 online, you could play the same way you play offline. This is hilariously incorrect.
So let me get this straight, if I am of a certain opinion, and it doesn't match with your personal experience, then I must have just never been in your position? "That's how it works". Fuck, I didn't expect you to have a very high threshold for abstract thought but I didn't think it went this far. But anyway, there is a noticeable difference, albeit a very small difference between offline and good connection online. This difference never happened to adversely effect my play or any of the people I chose to regularly play with unless the connection got out of hand. It feels better to play offline, I'll give it that, and it very rarely does actually make a difference in a match, and for that reason I'm glad that tournies are held offline, because one small mistake that may happen 1 in 500 times online could make a difference offline. But I'm not sure how this makes online a purely recreational environment with no competitive play.

Again, it seems that you don't even understand basic frame data. I don't even know what to say, seriously, this is so bad. You seriously think that LoL requires the same latency as a fighting game? Where you need to do 1 frame links?
Last hitting, cd timing, flashing, chain cc'ing, ability combo'ing, all occasionally require the player to act with within 1 frame and these are things all 10 players do regularly per game.

Do you genuinely believe that? If you travel, ever, anywhere, you're gonna be up for a rude awakening.
The offline connection must be way better in the places you play. I'll have to go sometime.

You're still a baby.
k den

You're still going at it. You think most tech has been discovered. I don't think you even know what match ups means. Hell I don't think you even realize what you're saying.
I never said I think most of the tech has been discovered. I said the sum of the "tangible" parts of this game is greater than the sum of what we will discover in the future, and tech is part of the tangible stuff. Hope that makes sense.

1) No one has discovered the optimal combos and they'll probably take more than a year to discover.
2) No one has discovered efficient, major-proven setups or tech yet. You know why? Because you actually need to play competitively first and the game just came out.
3) No one knows match up specific tech. No one knows match ups. Match ups take YEARS to evolve.
4) No one knows ANYTHING yet. Just because you know the move list doesn't mean you know ANYTHING. I played MK9 for years and I was STILL learning stuff 4 years later.
1) I disagree. My bet is that a lot of fighters will be using the same bnbs that they have now, unless the meta heavily changes to favor a different style of play, they are changed via patch, or new set ups are discovered that alter their combo into something different, but not new. This isn't to say all characters will be using the same combos they have now, because that's absurd.
2) I disagree. Many viable set ups have been discovered since release. I'm not sure if "major-proven" is supposed to mean it has to do well at a major before it's considered good, but if that is what you were saying, then I'd say you should be more confident. Majors do nothing other than attempt to prove which player is better at that time. Set ups are proven to be good or bad by testing to see how strong it is against anyone competent or a bot if that set up is able to be tested on a bot.
3) There is definitely MU specific tech. It may not be amazing, and there may not be much of it, but it certainly exists. I agree no one knows match ups yet, but we can speculate for the future based on what we know now, and we wouldn't be the first to have our hypotheses be proven correct.
4) And I'm sure we'll still be learning stuff four years from now as well.

This is just too dumb.
Ironic

So Troy told me your Evo bracket and it's funny that you were bragging about it. I guess your best accomplishment was beating people who don't even own the game lawl
Feel better?

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I actually play a variationless Reptile because I never use the variation abilities. Its shows my arrogance in a slighting and unique way.

I think Reptile has low damage when compared to other characters but I also don't have his best combos in any sense. My corner combo is a 28% but sometimes infinitely loops because I throw in a few mixups. I think his overhead claw sucks. I've never enhanced it unless I was midcombo. Maybe thats something I should try. I'd love to hear your guys best combos. I play Reptile in ranked and player matches with over 500 matches exclusively as Reptile. I like his speed and some of his making the opponent guess (knockdown, will I elbow, slide, or pounce?) I definitely feel powerless against raidens, liu kangs, and kung jins. My pressure can be crippling against alot of online opposition. Teleports and the fact that every character has armored moves can really fuck me up. My win percentage is about 80% and I'd like to compete using Reptile even if he doesnt end top tier. Obviously I main as Reptile.
Bravo to anyone who understands my name which is also my Gamertag: Syzoth.

I think Reptile has low damage output, but I don't feel that he really has to have strong combo damage to be a viable character. Between forceballs (which your opponent has to respect, lest they lose 25% of their health), a slide that gets armor when enhanced, an overhead special that can be armored, several strings with which to combo with, and the wonderful toxicity of Noxious...

Really, Reptile would be broken if he could land 40% damage reliably.

Xev

Noob
Not sure what is worse...seeing the comments here, or seeing reptile down players in the kano cybernetics thread of all places. TYM is an odd place.

Kalaise

Noob
Not sure what is worse...seeing the comments here, or seeing reptile down players in the kano cybernetics thread of all places. TYM is an odd place.
Yeah, I'm pretty ashamed I made this thread and I won't be making another thread on this site if this is what happens for asking a simple question expecting simple answers and people not to automatically assume for asking I am trashing reptile. the people on this site are a joke.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Yeah, I'm pretty ashamed I made this thread and I won't be making another thread on this site if this is what happens for asking a simple question expecting simple answers and people not to automatically assume for asking I am trashing reptile. the people on this site are a joke.

So, OP, what kind of combos and mixups do you like throw in? I do alot of:
b3, 4.
f3, b4
f4, 1, 2, pounce.

Kalaise

Noob
So, OP, what kind of combos and mixups do you like throw in? I do alot of:
b3, 4.
f3, b4
f4, 1, 2, pounce.
Well I play deceptive so my enders will be different man. I do F4, 1, 2 dash whiff F4 1 claw. On that hard knockdown I will either throw out a forceballs for added pressure or if I have meter will EX INVS then forceball. Or F4 1 2 ex invs, slide. For over head I do B3 run F4 1 2 flip in the air thing. And for low b3 ex fast force ball NJP 2, 1 - F4 1 2 slide ------ most if not all enders I end on invisibility because a lot of people (teleport) panic teleport and I just hold block and punish or the other half of people with hold.block and I get a free combo. I hate nimble and don't wanna be a run of the mill reptile and use noxious when I feel deceptive has tons of untapped potential that nobody wants to play because it doesnt give the damage bonus from mk9... :(