What's new

Video/Tutorial - Dragons Fire Liu Kang Pseudo block infinite explained

1 bar of meter every time he touches you? You act like that is such a small price. What if you breaker? You're fucked. What if your character is meter dependant? You're fucked? WHAT IF YOU'RE QUAN CHI? YOU'RE FUCKED!!! This is a meterless near block infinite. That's more broke than scorpions wad pre patch , and this is "fair"
Armoring out still gives you the oki or you can get your distance. As for Quan Chi, yeah that really sucks for Quan. But, bad matchups exist in every fighting game. All i'm saying is if this gets nerfed they better nerf some of the actual top tiers. This is literally all Kang has. And, if this is so broken, how come nobody has won anything with him even though this has been known since the game launched?

Ryncage

Noob
I'm sorry , but why the fuxk did they take away scorpions "block infinite" and leave Liu kangs alone , even though Its clearly stronger ?
I see that as more evidence that it needs to be tweaked.

Why fuck half the cast with your idea of "balance" and then everyone adopts the "let it ride" mentality.
Fix it all or touch nothing. Because all it feels like has been done patch wise is just a matter of playing favorites.

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I am a Quan Chi main and fight Liu Kang regularly. It's very hard, but not impossible.

Let it rock.
People say " let it rock " just because they don't want the character nerfed incorrectly or overly hard. NRS needs to nerf it correctly , and It won't be a problem. The last thing I want is the character to be nerfed to hard , but letting a psuedo block infinite rock. I'm not with that shit

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
People say " let it rock " just because they don't want the character nerfed incorrectly or overly hard. NRS needs to nerf it correctly , and It won't be a problem. The last thing I want is the character to be nerfed to hard , but letting a psuedo block infinite rock. I'm not with that shit
I want every character to be very good and have dirt.

Pressure and chip damage is Dragonfire's whole deal. Fuck with it too much and you nuke the variation.

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I see that as more evidence that it needs to be tweaked.

Why fuck half the cast with your idea of "balance" and then everyone adopts the "let it ride" mentality.
Fix it all or touch nothing. Because all it feels like has been done patch wise is just a matter of playing favorites.
Fucking yes !!!!!

Robotic

Gentleman.
Armoring out still gives you the oki or you can get your distance. As for Quan Chi, yeah that really sucks for Quan. But, bad matchups exist in every fighting game. All i'm saying is if this gets nerfed they better nerf some of the actual top tiers. This is literally all Kang has. And, if this is so broken, how come nobody has won anything with him even though this has been known since the game launched?
This logic is flawed. If clenching a roll of nickels is your ONLY shot to compete in an 8 man fight tourney, maybe u shouldn't be in the tourney. It's not unreasonable to think that game developers likely look at these discoveries as checks against their work. That's ok, though, because every game will have these oddities, as dies all software; it's up to the developers to gauge their ability or resources to address it.

I see no logic in those u defend it, however. It's very clear that things like this aren't meant to be in the game. Arguing that it should remain because the character is nothing without it completely side-steps the problem. Or maybe Ive just hated Liu Kang since I saw his stupid face show up in my pizza place in the early 90s and I want all the bad things in the world to happen to him, and nobody else, but him. HATE! HATE HATE! HATE HATE HATE!

ando1184

Noob
@Tom Brady, I actually posted this vid yesterday. DF LK can even do his pressure like this and this way is a true pseudo block infinite because LK is constantly gaining meter, stamina, and has an answer to armored attacks. Anyway I posted it in the what LK needs to be top tier thread but I guess I'll share it here too since we're finally getting the word out. However, I do have to agree with some of the other guys that I hope they only address DF and don't mess up his other variations.

The video Brady posted is the Liu Kang bullshit in its most simple form. Doesnt take into account the use of his B1, D3, and F44 as well as the run cancelling.

There is no 'take the hit' when you get hit by F44.
Yeah back 1 breaks armor but if you're gonna guess when they armor out that's just a read. I don't see any problem with F44. You're the pro though so I respect your opinion. I'm just curious, do you often see this strategy succeed in tournaments? It just strikes me as odd that nobodies seeing results with Dragon Fire.

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I want every character to be very good and have dirt.

Pressure and chip damage is Dragonfire's whole deal. Fuck with it too much and you nuke the variation.
I think every character should have dirt , fuck yeah! But , while they're taking dirt away from characters ( scorpion , sub , cage , every fucking character I main at any point in time ) and letting Liu kangs meterless block infinite rock , it destroys the valence of the game

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
For the sake of the website, @I GOT HANDS and @Rude can you please agree to disregard each others posts? You two do independently bring up some interesting opinions, but there's at least two threads in the last few days I've read that have been completely derailed from the bickering. Please and thank you.

I'm surprised you can decipher our bickering from any other posts that happen on TYM.

Cause that's what TYM seems to be for these days.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
For the sake of the website, @I GOT HANDS and @Rude can you please agree to disregard each others posts? You two do independently bring up some interesting opinions, but there's at least two threads in the last few days I've read that have been completely derailed from the bickering. Please and thank you.
You're right, done, and will do. Rude is actually a pretty reasonable person on non-QC related stuff.

My post wasn't to him regardless, I read the front page, then posted and saw he was in the second and clarified to dodge it

Anyway, on topic

I played a fair bit of Liu Kang, but I think this is bad game design. Is the character too strong, no, but I would rather (assuming we lived in a world where I had full control over MKX patches) improve him in other ways. This kinda thing is too polarizing and is way to strong on characters like Quan Chi but much weaker on characters with options. I know certain things will always be slightly more useful in different match ups, but this seems way too polarized for me.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I literally can't stand Kang.

The issues isn't just the infinite itself, it's the options that the he gains from the infinite that are even more ridiculous, for a start, B1 breaks amour and he can still go into his MB fly kick for the advantage and into the loop again.

Taking the hit to out get is always a massive risk when the opponent is actually good (good for the lack of a better word) with him and have fundamentals, (which most players who use him don't), and when you decide to take the hit you eat F44...and then its full combo, corner carry, or knocked fullscreen and begin trying to get past his barrage of low fire ball, low fire ball, low fireball.

Don't forget his D3 being +1 on block...
Don't forget his F21 being -3 on block...
Don't forget his B1 being 9 frames mid...
Don't forget his Low starting F44...
Don't forget his Dragon kick being -8 on block and almost impossible to wiff punish...
Don't fotget his option to MB that move for advantage...
Don't forget that he coverts 40%+ from his F44...
And please don't forget that you constantly have to be crouch blocking, putting yourself 1 more frame negative.

After all this is done, once you finally hit him, he has tons of meter to break, and he has access to SAFE REPEATABLE ARMOUR, that will launch you full screen again.

This character is so fucking stupid and mega easy mode, and the only reason it isn't more common is because a Liu Kang player hasn't won a major yet, how? I have no idea.

I am completely at a loss as to how this character has managed to slip past two major patches, and was actually buffed...while Sub Zero, Raiden, Tanya and Erron Black were all nerfed for considerably less bullshit than this.

I am incredibly worried about the next patch, because I don't know what the bases for nerfing and buffing really is anymore, it may only be on reaction to tournaments, what is commonly used, and not what a characters tool set actually is.

Last edited:

AssassiN

Noob
I literally can't stand Kang.

The issues isn't just the infinite itself, it's the options that the he gains from the infinite that are even more ridiculous, for a start, B1 breaks amour and he can still go into his MB fly kick for the advantage and into the loop again.

Taking the hit to out get is always a massive risk when the opponent is actually good (good for the lack of a better word) with him and have fundamentals, (which most players who use him don't), and when you decide to take the hit you eat F44...and then its full combo, corner carry, or knocked fullscreen and begin trying to get past his barrage of low fire ball, low fire ball, low fireball.

Don't forget his D3 being +1 on block...
Don't forget his F21 being 0 on block...
Don't forget his B1 being 9 frames mid...
Don't forget his Low starting F44...
Don't forget his Dragon kick being -8 on block and almost impossible to wiff punish...
Don't fotget his option to MB that move for advantage...
Don't forget that he coverts 40%+ from his F44...
And please don't forget that you constantly have to be crouch blocking, putting yourself 1 more frame negative.

After all this is done, once you finally hit him, he has tons of meter to break, and he has access to SAFE REPEATABLE ARMOUR, that will launch you full screen again.

This character is so fucking stupid and mega easy mode, and the only reason it isn't more common is because a Liu Kang player hasn't won a major yet, how? I have no idea.

I am completely at a loss as to how this character has managed to slip past two major patches, and was actually buffed...while Sub Zero, Raiden, Tanya and Erron Black were all nerfed for considerably less bullshit than this.

I am incredibly worried about the next patch, because I don't know what the bases for nerfing and buffing really is anymore, it may only be on reaction to tournaments, what is commonly used, and not what a characters tool set actually is.
His F21 isn't 0 on block anymore, it's -3 or something like that.
Other than that pretty accurate info about Liu DF.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
I wonder why Tom didn't display the run cancels in his videos... Those are waaaaay more advantage and cannot even be armored.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Now here comes the BS, does it have anything to do with holing the kick button for more than 3 seconds?

Yea if anything should be changed/nerfed it should be the frame advantage on F213 should be lessened to the point where he doesn't get enough advantage to dash forward and beat any poke that isn't at least 7 frames, I do agree that Liu should maintain frame advantage from the string if he uses run cancel afterwards tho, since he is spending more stamina, and will only get 2 reps at best.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
I'm sorry , but why the fuxk did they take away scorpions "block infinite" and leave Liu kangs alone , even though Its clearly stronger ?
Because scorpion 's had no gaps,so from a random spear you could destroy someone on block!