What's new

General/Other - Lasher Lasher Discussion Thread

Does anyone have any tips using Lasher at midscreen and up close? That's where I seem to struggle the most.
Up close, if you want to get away, tornado spin far away.

If you want to fight, down1, into forward 1, 2, 2+4 xx kunai. This will give you a nice hit advantage, and you can resume mix up game, spacing game.

Mid range I recommend all of his tools.

ExoticAbuse

★Two Hands★
Up close, if you want to get away, tornado spin far away.

If you want to fight, down1, into forward 1, 2, 2+4 xx kunai. This will give you a nice hit advantage, and you can resume mix up game, spacing game.

Mid range I recommend all of his tools.
Oh okay, that did seem to be my only option at times (Tornado Spin far away) but those are my only two options?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Does anyone have any tips using Lasher at midscreen and up close? That's where I seem to struggle the most.
Which console are you on? I can teach you lasher the way I play him I prefer to be at mid screen and excel there rather than in the corner

ExoticAbuse

★Two Hands★
Which console are you on? I can teach you lasher the way I play him I prefer to be at mid screen and excel there rather than in the corner
Xbox One.

Jax, Tanya, other ones I'm forgetting right now because I just woke up, but I can come up with a proper list later, but jax and Tanya are the most prominent ones I believe but there are more.
Really? I wouldn't have thought Jax would be a good match up against Lasher Takeda, I think I can understand Tanya due to Takeda's range. I've also been struggling against Gunslinger Erron Black who's zoning is a little unorthodox making it hard to get in range to do at least something.

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

Xbox One.

Really? I wouldn't have thought Jax would be a good match up against Lasher Takeda, I think I can understand Tanya due to Takeda's range. I've also been struggling against Gunslinger Erron Black who's zoning is a little unorthodox making it hard to get in range to do at least something.
Yeah lasher gets an even match up with jax also I don't have that much trouble against gunslinger but then again I have been using lasher for a while now and I'm constantly improving since he is my main

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
I have been playing around with Takeda's cancels into Tornado Kick for a bit now with success... Not sure how many of you use it or even know its there, but I figure I'd show the tech either way...

The videos show SR and Lasher, but the cancel can be done in all variations including Ronin..

This is more inline with Mileena/Scorpion's jump kick cancels which can be annoying as hell... As you all know, these can be done on hit, on block, and even on whiff (or no contact)...

SOLEdier

IHideBehindIceClones
I might have missed it on the move list menu but does anyone know the advantage on hit for the jump forward 1 and 2?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Two questions, what do I do full screen? And by that I mean outside of b2 range. Do I just chuck kunais all day or is there another strategy I'm not thinking of?

The second is how does Lasher benefit off the hard to blockable? I know SR can do it, jik and then tp or b2 tp for combos but lasher lacks the tp so how does lasher convert off that. Or should I just not try to do that as Lasher?

MrProfDrPepper

Two questions, what do I do full screen? And by that I mean outside of b2 range. Do I just chuck kunais all day or is there another strategy I'm not thinking of?

The second is how does Lasher benefit off the hard to blockable? I know SR can do it, jik and then tp or b2 tp for combos but lasher lacks the tp so how does lasher convert off that. Or should I just not try to do that as Lasher?
Alright so full screen, mix it up, use kunai, use tornado kick, or just be patient, walk in in between the opponents zoning until you get to the point where you are comfortable using your zoning normals, your df1 (normal) your b2, your whip trip, your whip flurry, your f12, etc. As for the second question, I personally don't use the ex kunais, but you can get some damage from jik tornado kick, it isn't much but it is something if you really want to use it, over all ex kunai is more of a Shirai ryu thing, but ex kunai is very good for corner pressure, which I'm not too experienced in some I'm more space control but @Pleasa plays a very good pressure oriented lasher so he can tell you more about ex kunai use

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Alright so full screen, mix it up, use kunai, use tornado kick, or just be patient, walk in in between the opponents zoning until you get to the point where you are comfortable using your zoning normals, your df1 (normal) your b2, your whip trip, your whip flurry, your f12, etc. As for the second question, I personally don't use the ex kunais, but you can get some damage from jik tornado kick, it isn't much but it is something if you really want to use it, over all ex kunai is more of a Shirai ryu thing, but ex kunai is very good for corner pressure, which I'm not too experienced in some I'm more space control but @Pleasa plays a very good pressure oriented lasher so he can tell you more about ex kunai use
Alright that helps a lot. I've run into the issue as both SR and Lasher trying to get into b2 range from full screen. Patience is my weakness and tornado kick gets punish a little too often for me. I need to put more work into my lasher just in general.
As for the ex kunai thing, I'll probably start using my meter for ex db2, ex bf2 and ex df1 for the armor. Does Lasher have any plus/safe pressure up close or do I have to rely on f12, f122+4, kunai, whip trip, mix ups.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I like you.

MrProfDrPepper

Alright that helps a lot. I've run into the issue as both SR and Lasher trying to get into b2 range from full screen. Patience is my weakness and tornado kick gets punish a little too often for me. I need to put more work into my lasher just in general.
As for the ex kunai thing, I'll probably start using my meter for ex db2, ex bf2 and ex df1 for the armor. Does Lasher have any plus/safe pressure up close or do I have to rely on f12, f122+4, kunai, whip trip, mix ups.
So pressure I would once again ask pleasa, however, if you properly space out your whip trip and whip flurry, only reptile can punish you, I personally love to use low slash paired with whip flurry since it catches people all the time, and b2 into whip trip and b21 is a true 50/50, and if properly spaced they can not punish you for it, as well as they get blown up if they try to jump in, biggest piece of advice I can give you when learning lasher, is knowing exactly how far all your moves go and know how much space they control, and use that range to your advantage, also keep in mind, the second hit of back 2 didn't go as far as the first hit, however it is only by a very small bit, but you HAVE to keep that in mind for certain situations. And if you plan on playing a space control style lasher, end your combos with whip strike, because you are so advantageous on hit that it allows for very strong oki game and allows you to bait armor, catch tech rolls, start up your 50/50 game again, etc. Also in certain match ups, low slash is your best friend so never underestimate it, use it, and you will be surprised with the results (low slash is df1 normal BTW) so um, other than that if you have any space control questions feel free to ask me, any pressure questions, feel free to ask @Pleasa we both have very different but equally good lashers