What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
But why not just get your pressure with b321 or do b32 hat trap
For starters, B321 on connect doesn't combo without meter. Secondly, if it is blocked there is like absolutely no difference in health, and only like 5% of a bar difference in meter gain. However, if it's unblocked its our hardest hitting opener with 38% meterless HKD (compared to 33% for one bar from B32). I don't see why I'd ever do B32 after a JiP, it's not at all safer, why bother? :S

For starters, B321 on connect doesn't combo without meter. Secondly, if it is blocked there is like absolutely no difference in health, and only like 5% of a bar difference in meter gain. However, if it's unblocked its our hardest hitting opener with 38% meterless HKD (compared to 33% for one bar from B32). I don't see why I'd ever do B32 after a JiP, it's not at all safer, why bother? :S
I dont know about hattrick yet but with buzzsaw and tempest I think b321 is the best option off of a jumpin also because it connects from a far range j2

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So what do people think about standing 4 in the neutral game and 44 as an opener?

I pretty much follow up every JiP with it since it's completely safe, but how often do you guys risk standing 4 as an opener?
Depends on the range, if the opponent is way too far and i hit them with the phantom hitbox of J2, the most profitable combo is from F23.

There are things that 44 can work as a punisher, but we need to know what those are.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
How difficult is KL to pick up? Been afraid to go near him cos he looks very difficult to play. I'd be looking to learn either Tempest or Buzzsaw.

Cheers

How difficult is KL to pick up? Been afraid to go near him cos he looks very difficult to play. I'd be looking to learn either Tempest or Buzzsaw.

Cheers
Tempest is a little harder on the execution because of the hat spin into 44 link. Its a 2 frame window. You also need to have a little execution to do runup 11212 after ex hat spin on block, you have a 4 frame window, which sounds easy but it is harder to do than the the 2 frame link.

Buzzsaw is not that execution heavy, b321 combo takes a little time to get used to if you want to get the 38% version.

You really need to know the general -1 to -6 guessing game when you play kung lao.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure

Cheers
Tempest is the hardest on execution as far as combo's go I'd say, because of the Hat Spin links.

Hat Trick is the most challenging on execution as far as gameplan goes, he really doesn't play very linear.

I'd say Buzzsaw is the easiest, that's where most of us started as well, although you might be better going straight into Tempest because he's so much better, and you'll learn how to actually play Kung Lao, because you ain't gunna have those mixups in the real world. Buzzsaw can get you comfortable with the buttons tho so it depends what sort of learner you are, IMO

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Cheers for the info, I'll give Buzzsaw a go 1st & see how it feels after a few hrs. I never picked him in mk9 cos of the jik into dive kick, I could never get it down esp when I had to follow it up with a combo. I could do the majority of combos in mk9 but couldn't get the hang of Lao or Kabal.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I was playing a game recently as KL, against LK though I don't think that's important. Anyway I kept going for the 11 string to start my pressure but constantly found myself just a hair too far away. However if I ever went for f2 I'd get low poked out.

In that situation is there any other advancing string I should try or should I just counter poke until I have some breathing room?