What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears

Some anti cassie stuff

Just thought it was interesting works after b21 as well

Another thing she doesn't seem to be able to reach with power flip against d4 , orbit hat

So you can do d4 tele and catch her power flip if she tries to armor

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Not sure if this has been explored properly yet, but I was looking around to see what the changes to stagger animations on block affected and I noticed that Lao can punish Bojutsu Kung Jin's EX Bo Swing on block consistently with F2 now. Just thought I'd throw that out there and it may be worth looking into similar scenarios.

Not sure if this has been explored properly yet, but I was looking around to see what the changes to stagger animations on block affected and I noticed that Lao can punish Bojutsu Kung Jin's EX Bo Swing on block consistently with F2 now. Just thought I'd throw that out there and it may be worth looking into similar scenarios.
Wow thats great. For a consistent punish we had to do a low damage divekick combo prepatch. Now we can get a few percentages more and with tempest a lot of damage.

THANK YOU FINALLY

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
So possibly a dumb question but are there any moves or attacks spin loses to as an aa? Or when is it better to use s1? Trying to think of air armored specials. Is king jins ex divekick armored?

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
So possibly a dumb question but are there any moves or attacks spin loses to as an aa? Or when is it better to use s1? Trying to think of air armored specials. Is king jins ex divekick armored?
Use spin. But use it aggressively. For me if I predict a jump in I run up under them and normal spin. Also I believe king June dive kick has no armor on MB maybe start up but I've hit him out of it on occasions.

So yeh, 112124 still whiffs. It rarely happens, but they pretty much agreed to a 112124 fix so it should be done properly imo. A lot of hitbox that were fixed in the last patch are apparantly not properly fixed, they are just more consistent.

Tweedy

Noob
I used to get super frustrated when fighting Johnny Cage, because his D4 low profiles F2(and D3, but it's not like D3 is used that much).

But I've discovered that if you try to combat his D4 with Lao's D4, if spaced correctly, Lao's destroys Johnny's.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I hope in the next patch Kung Lao is accidently deleted from the roster so I can then permanently disconnect my PS4 from the internet and never go online again.

I used to get super frustrated when fighting Johnny Cage, because his D4 low profiles F2(and D3, but it's not like D3 is used that much).

But I've discovered that if you try to combat his D4 with Lao's D4, if spaced correctly, Lao's destroys Johnny's.
Imo buzzsaw works really well against johnny cage.

n1kosh

Train harder
Guys. What do you think about Kung Lao's low combo starter: DB1+B4 in Tempest? That starter works in corner! Anyone check it works on midscreen? Or new ideas?

Last edited:
Guys. What do you think about Kung Lao's low combo starter: DB1+D4 in Tempest? That starter works in corner! Anyone check it works on midscreen? Or new ideas?
If you are talking about B4, the sweep then yes it is known. Your only overhead option is f4 though which is 10% versus a full combo punish. The risk reward isn't there. The best mixup is still pressure/grab imo.

Tweedy

Noob
Yeah, B4 will only work on players who don't know the Kung Lao match up, which is super rare against good players at this point in the game.

n1kosh

Train harder
If you are talking about B4, the sweep then yes it is known. Your only overhead option is f4 though which is 10% versus a full combo punish. The risk reward isn't there. The best mixup is still pressure/grab imo.
Yes i edit my message. B4. I think you're right, pressure/grab better

mkl

Poopbutt.
Cybernetic MU advice pls?
This is a MU I think Buzzsaw does much better than Tempest in. Against Cybernetic you don't really need raw damage so much as more effective counter-zoning and suffocating pressure pseudo-mixups. His armor is lol so you can honestly go incredibly ham with b2~low hat b22~low hat meme gimmicks and maintain super solid pressure. The forward moving spin is also a huge plus against mistimed projectiles (along with fundamental KL stuff like dive kick reactions w/ conversions). It's not like Tempest does bad in this MU he just has to work a slight bit more than Buzzsaw since his spin isn't as useful and he doesn't really have counter-zoning that will work as effectively. But his pressure is better so it's really more about what facet of Cybernetic's game is fucking you up.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
@mkl Its mostly mid knives that were wrecking me, I wish Hat Spin and Orbitting hat consistently blocked a projectile like advertised, but I guess asking for Lao buffs is OD lol. Ive just started using Buzzsaw for Cybernetic Kano. The advancing teleport helped wonders with this MU. Previously, I was relying on DiveKick conversions, f2, and teleport reads. All of those are still options, but the spin really adds.

Speaking of which, Idk if this is the general opinion, but I feel Buzzsaw is a better option vs SR Takeda as well.

Who else are we using Buzzsaw for?