What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
Quick question, if I'm in the midscreen game and playing footsies, is f2 the only thing I have to whiff punish?

Edit: Question 2 can you punish ice clone or ex ice clone with footdive or j.2?

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Little late to answer, but the AI will never roll after a B321 in practice mode. Pretty sure it's untechable.
Yeah, I'm feeling like this is the case, it's just Untechable Knockdown as far as I can tell

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Quick question, if I'm in the midscreen game and playing footsies, is f2 the only thing I have to whiff punish?
It is your best whiff punisher since it is 11 frames and advances forward but you can also whiff punish with B22 as well. Its slow on startup so they will have needed to really screw up to get whiff punished by a B22.

Edit: Question 2 can you punish ice clone or ex ice clone with footdive or j.2?
From my experience no. Ive only been able to punish with EX Spin in Buzzsaw or Hat Trick. In Hat Trick, you can always EX Hat Toss (Hatarang) to check them if you are late on your reactions and it will go through the clone and they usually respect the hat coming back if they actually know what this move does.

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
Does anyone have a good combo off of standing 1 or 2 when anti airing? Standing 1 makes them floaty and is easy to confirm off of, but I feel like 2 has a longer and bigger hitbox making it easier to anti air from a range that isn't right next to you. Either way range isn't very big, but 2 definitely anti airs from further away. Right now depending on the situation I use 1(if they're really close) and 2(if they jumping in or I catch them trying to neutral j.2 at the beginning of a match) into f21xxdb1, b32xxmbdf1, j2, grab and I think it's like 29 or 30% Is there a better way to be anti airing and following up on it?

Anyone got any suggestions on dealing with Commando Kano as tempest Lao? For some reason if Kano crouch blocks the last hit of the 112124 string wiffs randomly and he gets a free uppercut or d1 so that string is unreliable. b321 ex hat spin if he has meter he now can just do ex upball or ex cmd grab to armor through. So along with his really good footsy game i'm really confused on how the heck i'm supposed to approach this matchup. Not to mention his choke normal being safe on block is ridiculous. It gets really hard to d1 him out of any of his blocked strings, especially with the threat of safe ex upball.

Also which kick is everyone using to get in with Lao is it jump 3 or 4 or does it not matter?

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Gotta question. What do you guys normally follow up with after a blocked EX Low Hat in Buzzsaw since its plus, but not as plus as Tempest or Hat Trick?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Anyone got any suggestions on dealing with Commando Kano as tempest Lao? For some reason if Kano crouch blocks the last hit of the 112124 string wiffs randomly and he gets a free uppercut or d1 so that string is unreliable. b321 ex hat spin if he has meter he now can just do ex upball or ex cmd grab to armor through. So along with his really good footsy game i'm really confused on how the heck i'm supposed to approach this matchup. Not to mention his choke normal being safe on block is ridiculous. It gets really hard to d1 him out of any of his blocked strings, especially with the threat of safe ex upball.

Also which kick is everyone using to get in with Lao is it jump 3 or 4 or does it not matter?
im not very familiar with the kano matchup either and wouldnt mind learning it.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I posted this in the tempest +12 thread. Also in case you havent noticed the last hit of 11212 also whiffs sometimes but ppl havent noticed because it is hard to see.
I see it now. I can't remember it doing this before the patch it never happened to me till now

just_2swift

When is that anti air buff going to happen? Tired of getting jump kicked out of my normal spin on a read

just_2swift

Lol a Kung Lao player asking for anti-air buffs. Bruh... do you not ex spin or somethin?
Funny you mentioned ex spin had a Tanya kicked me out of that too. I said nothing to the tune of buffing Laos anti air abilities. A universal anti air buff was the route I was going with my post.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I'm not a Lao only player but I am a stick player and changing was tough as hell. I can give you my layout:

1 Block 2 Interact
3 Throw 4 Flip Stance

Or

X RT Y RB
A LB B LT

I like to keep block in a good position to keep it pressed while being able to MB everything easily (was the toughest thing to get with other placements) I don't really use interact or flip stance so my main six are all right there. I know a few other people who run this setup or something similar (Just switching the block and throw buttons). Hope it helps!
That's a really interesting button layout haha. I use this:
1 2 RT LT
3 4 RB LB

I don't even use the LB or RB at all, just use 1+2 or 1+3 and that way I pretty much don't have to move at all and don't have to use the pinky or anything. If that set up you have is working for you though good for you. Playing on stick is weird at first but you'll love it soon enough trust me.
Good stuff here, this sort of talk is hard to find.

Do either of you have any recommendations for which stick to buy/which sticks avoid, for playing MKX on PC? Specifically, playing as Lao.