What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

Byites

Wilson
Have not played this game in weeks/months. Had a friend (who is a scrub) tell me kung lao was better than erron black. I cant even

Not that Kung Lao really needed it, but maaaan. :(
I mean we could make the case for any character and stuff they don't need. Another stealth nerf is that they nerfed the advantage on normal hat call back. It used to have enough advantage for a guaranteed string. Now it is just safe. I don't think these ''buffs'' change anything. If anything lao got nerfed because of tempest damage scaling and the biggest nerf would be the teleport combo, which might as well be useless now for 2 bars.

Banazama

Noob
I mean we could make the case for any character and stuff they don't need. Another stealth nerf is that they nerfed the advantage on normal hat call back. It used to have enough advantage for a guaranteed string. Now it is just safe. I don't think these ''buffs'' change anything. If anything lao got nerfed because of tempest damage scaling and the biggest nerf would be the teleport combo, which might as well be useless now for 2 bars.
Well, I've only seen EX teleport grab used sparingly because Kung Lao's teleport game is not nearly as good in this game. The way the ex grab is designed feels more like a round closer or a way to get the life lead early. In which case ~30% should be enough. Also I don't think NRS wants a 2 bar tool to out-damage a 3 bar tool.

And I agree about Hat trick. I don't see any new setups form the Low hat trap since we lose our only cancelable overhead. And the frame changes on the call back hurt. Will have to see if the reduced recovery will mean something. My snap judgement on Tempest was wrong so...

Last edited:
Well, I've only seen EX teleport grab used sparingly because Kung Lao's teleport game is not nearly as good in this game. The way the ex grab is designed feels more like a round closer or a way to get the life lead early. In which case ~30% should be enough. Also I don't think NRS wants a 2 bar tool to out-damage a 3 bar tool.

And I agree about Hat trick. I don't see any new setups form the Low hat trap since we lose our only cancelable overhead. And the frame changes on the call back hurt. Will have to see if the reduced recovery will mean something. My snap judgement on Tempest was wrong so...

Like 4%. Except for the stealth ex grab nerf.
I never use the ex teleport randomly. I only use it on a hard read if I think they are not going to do anything and expect an ex spin on wakeup. Hat trick stuff doesn't change much, haven't messed too much with it but low hat trap being low doesn't change anything because there is no mixup unless you want to die doing a f4. Prepatch you could block high or low, now you just block low. After b321 straight hat you have a lot more advantage now, but it doesn't grant you advantage on block anymore soo yeh...

Banazama

Noob
I never use the ex teleport randomly.
Well yeah, that's what I mean. But my point is more a matter that you are usually better off doing other things with Kung Lao (especially in Tempest) then committing to that hard read. I don't think it will be missed that much.

Hat trick stuff doesn't change much, haven't messed too much with it but low hat trap being low doesn't change anything because there is no mixup unless you want to die doing a f4. Prepatch you could block high or low, now you just block low. After b321 straight hat you have a lot more advantage now, but it doesn't grant you advantage on block anymore soo yeh...
Yeah. I got excited about low call back at first, and then remembered why I don't play that variation. With the removal of advantage on call-back and decreased recovery on set-up, it seems that NRS wants hat trick to be a zoner now instead of a trap character. Except Lao loses the regular projectile so he just becomes a sitting duck if he tries that style. Really don't think Hatrick is salvageable at this rate.

Well yeah, that's what I mean. But my point is more a matter that you are usually better off doing other things with Kung Lao (especially in Tempest) then committing to that hard read. I don't think it will be missed that much.

Yeah. I got excited about low call back at first, and then remembered why I don't play that variation. With the removal of advantage on call-back and decreased recovery on set-up, it seems that NRS wants hat trick to be a zoner now instead of a trap character. Except Lao loses the regular projectile so he just becomes a sitting duck if he tries that style. Really don't think Hatrick is salvageable at this rate.
Just salty about the teleport combo, there was no reason to nerf it that hard and if anything just a few percentages but an 11% nerf is just crazy.

Banazama

Noob
Just salty about the teleport combo, there was no reason to nerf it that hard and if anything just a few percentages but an 11% nerf is just crazy.
NRS has had the habit of over-nerfing certain things., but it has gotten better in MKX.

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.

If MB hat call was un blockable it could save him

EOTL

I think the important thing is B22~hat trap is safer on block . Its -6 so Reptile and cassie can punish. B231 hat trap leaves more time for setups at the end of combosThere's a mixup now between b2~low call back into combo and b22 into combo.

Hat Trick still has issues mainly punishing things without a hat close enough behind them. 44 run b231 summon hat is 22% which isn't great but isn't terrible at the end of the day.
The main one I find is run cancel punish. For example if KJ MB Bo Swings on wakeup, you would normally run f23 spin to punish. With Hat trick you have to f23 summon hat and hope the hat is close enough for free pressure.

EDIT: Well actually there's no mixup because I forgot that you don't have overhead without hat. There's f4 but that's unsafe. I wonder why its a hat trap now hits low then.

I think the important thing is B22~hat trap is safer on block . Its -6 so Reptile and cassie can punish. B231 hat trap leaves more time for setups at the end of combosThere's a mixup now between b2~low call back into combo and b22 into combo.

Hat Trick still has issues mainly punishing things without a hat close enough behind them. 44 run b231 summon hat is 22% which isn't great but isn't terrible at the end of the day.
The main one I find is run cancel punish. For example if KJ MB Bo Swings on wakeup, you would normally run f23 spin to punish. With Hat trick you have to f23 summon hat and hope the hat is close enough for free pressure.

EDIT: Well actually there's no mixup because I forgot that you don't have overhead without hat. There's f4 but that's unsafe. I wonder why its a hat trap now hits low then.
There is no b2 when the hat is out.

Haven't tested this extensively yet, but hat call back on block could be an ex spin guessing game where you can make the opponent respect your pressure even though you are not at advantage or slightly disadvantage. Hat trick got better upclose instead of in a knockdown situation. At least that is what I am guessing right now. Ex hat callback still gets you a free string though iirc.