What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Okay, vs the infamous Grandmaster...I played a decent Sub Zero (not great) who spammed the "anti-KJ" tools and I couldn't do anything. The things that I could do is f2 at a good distance, nj2 at max distance, and try to bait the low slide...

Each of them got adapted to and he just started spamming Ice Balls more and jumping in.

Shaolin has to be the best variation vs Grandmaster Sub Zero with the mb chakarang but even then has to be played slow and steady to get the meter.

Mr FiF

Youtube.com/IIMR5
yea i
Okay, vs the infamous Grandmaster...I played a decent Sub Zero (not great) who spammed the "anti-KJ" tools and I couldn't do anything. The things that I could do is f2 at a good distance, nj2 at max distance, and try to bait the low slide...

Each of them got adapted to and he just started spamming Ice Balls more and jumping in.

Shaolin has to be the best variation vs Grandmaster Sub Zero with the mb chakarang but even then has to be played slow and steady to get the meter.
Yea i need to have a sit down with Shaolin. I havent touched that variation at all

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
@CoRzz The God

The Bojitsu combos need to be updated with the latest and greatest:

Mid-Screen:

Meterless

Fastest Punisher: 2,2,1~BF4, RUN, 3~BF4, JI, D4, B1,2~DB3 32%

Meterless

Corner

Fastest Punisher: 2,2,1~BF4, 4~BF4, NJP, Jump, D4, 4~DB3 36%
Pretty sure 221 does not cancel into b f 4 in time for the combo.

Bender

Yeah any anti sub tech would be great. I'm mostly doing nj1 and hoping I can connect and go into a vortex. If you lose the life lead I feel like the match is over.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Played a few grandmaster subs last night. Matchup is looking quite tough so far. Clone, throwing clone, and ice ball can negate a lot of our offense. I did have some success using the db sweep as per UsedForGlue's suggestion, but still...it's tough to get damage off of him. He will always have meter to break, and since you don't get a breaker advantage anymore, you can't take advantage of your own breaker knockdown.

The most success I have had against him was using Shaolin and the 34 stagger. A lot of subs are still trying to mash out that clone as quick as they can.

Still need to do a ton of exploring tho.

ferneo6

Rhizomes and moustaches
Played a few grandmaster subs last night. Matchup is looking quite tough so far. Clone, throwing clone, and ice ball can negate a lot of our offense. I did have some success using the db sweep as per UsedForGlue's suggestion, but still...it's tough to get damage off of him. He will always have meter to break, and since you don't get a breaker advantage anymore, you can't take advantage of your own breaker knockdown.

The most success I have had against him was using Shaolin and the 34 stagger. A lot of subs are still trying to mash out that clone as quick as they can.

Still need to do a ton of exploring tho.
I noticed against the clone that your b1 doesnt freeze as long as only the staff touches the clone. At least online it was doing that.

Some of the other zoning posts: I was mb bf3 taking out Shinok's fb and kitanas fans. Idk if there's better zoning than those.
I have had the most trouble with Raiden (that mix up game just need to learn the strings) and char with fast pokes. Specifically Divora and (a good) Reptile.

Bender

Played a few grandmaster subs last night. Matchup is looking quite tough so far. Clone, throwing clone, and ice ball can negate a lot of our offense. I did have some success using the db sweep as per UsedForGlue's suggestion, but still...it's tough to get damage off of him.
I've been using his bd 4 (not sure how to input this command, its a normal (low attack). Has ridiculous range and is underutilized by Kung Jin players. Much safer on block if you keep the distance in check.

Bender

Does anyone know if KJ has any anti armor normals other than f3? F3 works on some characters, but other times I get blown up (i.e. Jax).

I feel like his 2,2 might work but haven't tried it out yet.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I've been using his bd 4 (not sure how to input this command, its a normal (low attack). Has ridiculous range and is underutilized by Kung Jin players. Much safer on block if you keep the distance in check.
The input technique is tricky. If you press the down button first even slightly, he'll Flip Kick. So I try to hit the back first just slightly.

Bender

The input technique is tricky. If you press the down button first even slightly, he'll Flip Kick. So I try to hit the back first just slightly.
Lol yeah the flip kick comes out sometimes. FML. I'll try that technique. Thanks!

Bender

Also, does anyone have any meter burn BD 3 combos from mid screen?

I hate wasting a bar on wakeup and not getting any extra damage.

MadeFromMetal

Also, does anyone have any meter burn BD 3 combos from mid screen?

I hate wasting a bar on wakeup and not getting any extra damage.
What damage are you getting?

I usually do

EXdb3, ji2~d2, b21(or runxx 34), db3 for around 35% I think.

Bender

What damage are you getting?

I usually do

EXdb3, ji2~d2, b21(or runxx 34), db3 for around 35% I think.
His back down three (the low) not down back three. I don't know if you can combi off it midscreen, but you can get 1 1 1 BF 3 in the corner.

TalS

Noob
Hello! New player here!
What exactly do '~' and 'mb' mean? As in 221~mb Chakram Throw
Also, I've been practicing the following combo: 221 db4 d+3 but I can't pull it off consistently (the db4 d+3 is a two part special attack but the db4 doesn't do anything). Is it possible that I press the buttons too fast? And if so, how do I know when I'm supposed to press the buttons after the string?

Also, which variation do you think is the best for a new player (in fighting games in general)? I like Shaolin but I'm pretty sure it's because it was the one I got to chance to play in story.

Thank you! :)

MadeFromMetal

His back down three (the low) not down back three. I don't know if you can combi off it midscreen, but you can get 1 1 1 BF 3 in the corner.
Oh shit. Completely transposed those. Yeah I haven't found a good combo off that. Probably be a run combo, which I struggle with. I just got to be able to do his dive kick combo a little over half the time.

Bender

Hello! New player here!
Also, I've been practicing the following combo: 221 db4 d+3 but I can't pull it off consistently (the db4 d+3 is a two part special attack but the db4 doesn't do anything). Is it possible that I press the buttons too fast? And if so, how do I know when I'm supposed to press the buttons after the string?

Also, which variation do you think is the best for a new player (in fighting games in general)? I like Shaolin but I'm pretty sure it's because it was the one I got to chance to play in story.

Mb is meter burn. You have to use a bar of meter for the combo to work.

As for your combo, I didn't realize his flip kick had a second strike. Am I reading the input correct?

MadeFromMetal

Hello! New player here!

~ or xx mean cancel the string into the special. Basically start the input for the special immediately after the 1 in 221.

mb or ex mean do the enhanced version of the attack by holding block with the last button of the special.

I'm also guessing the db4 in that combo is meant to be db3...cuz db4 results in a hard knockdown (or brutality).

Bender

Oh shit. Completely transposed those. Yeah I haven't found a good combo off that. Probably be a run combo, which I struggle with. I just got to be able to do his dive kick combo a little over half the time.
No worries. Let me know if you find anything that works!