What's new

Strategy Kitana General discussion

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Actually I take that back. Testing it now and I don't think even Reptile's dash can interrupt.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Actually I take that back. Testing it now and I don't think even Reptile's dash can interrupt.
Really? I don't think Lao's spin has the range to interrupt it, but really? Is it just the stun from the f2? Because I'm sure you can easily poke out of it.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Really? I don't think Lao's spin has the range to interrupt it, but really? Is it just the stun from the f2? Because I'm sure you can easily poke out of it.

yeah the stun on f+2 was too long. I was testing it by myself, maybe without the awkwardness of pausing and switching controllers you'd be able to, but it didn't seem like it.

Now I'm doubting myself because someone's telling me my orginal statement was right. I'll find out for sure Thursday. Regardless it doesn't really matter because it's just a dumb gimmick.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
yeah the stun on f+2 was too long. I was testing it by myself, maybe without the awkwardness of pausing and switching controllers you'd be able to, but it didn't seem like it.

Now I'm doubting myself because someone's telling me my orginal statement was right. I'll find out for sure Thursday. Regardless it doesn't really matter because it's just a dumb gimmick.
They can jump out of fake out kick done off of f2. I don't think that there is a move in her arsenal that gives enough frame advantage to make them block db4.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I found out they can't interrupt f+2~fake out with an attack but yeah, they can jump.

Also found out you can interrupt b+1,2. Man Kitana has some lame strings. I just use that now and then as a gimmick, like b+1, d+4 or fake out.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Lol, yeah b12 is pretty useless. I only use it against scrubby people who start crouch blocking and don't realize the second hit will hit them.

On the other hand, I recently successfully used b1 from just outside of range to bait a crouching cage's xray.

Also, odd question: I'm not sure if this applies to just Kitana, but has anyone had bugs hitting a corner njp facing the left side of the screen? I was practicing corner combos on that side today because I was having some temporary trouble when facing that side, and after a f21, half the time the njp would make them bounce behind Kitana. It then autocorrects when I hit my 4, but the opponent is too low for me to connect a fan. I never had that problem on the right corner.

Also, odd question: I'm not sure if this applies to just Kitana, but has anyone had bugs hitting a corner njp facing the left side of the screen? I was practicing corner combos on that side today because I was having some temporary trouble when facing that side, and after a f21, half the time the njp would make them bounce behind Kitana. It then autocorrects when I hit my 4, but the opponent is too low for me to connect a fan. I never had that problem on the right corner.
This can be dealt with by moving backwards after hitting the NJP. Even if they bounce you can still hit the 4 xx Ground Fan without any problems.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This can be dealt with by moving backwards after hitting the NJP. Even if they bounce you can still hit the 4 xx Ground Fan without any problems.
^^ This. It happens quite often in the left corner, but it's nothing to worry about.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
The time has come where grounded cutters really could use some sort of setup in lieu of ducked whiffs becoming more and more unsafe. The 1 in both 2,1 and f3,1 hits special mid and the cutter will come out just fine on a guardless duck. If the opp blocks low the two 1s produce block stun but the cutter will whiff, so I dont know if its still punishable.

Also, if the opp just chooses to duck without guarding or even the low pokes what can she do to wakeup, other than SB? Footsies and choice timing becomes really important in this game when players start making their chars duck alot, not just for Kitana, tho its more notable against her.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The time has come where grounded cutters really could use some sort of setup in lieu of ducked whiffs becoming more and more unsafe. The 1 in both 2,1 and f3,1 hits special mid and the cutter will come out just fine on a guardless duck. If the opp blocks low the two 1s produce block stun but the cutter will whiff, so I dont know if its still punishable.

Also, if the opp just chooses to duck without guarding or even the low pokes what can she do to wakeup, other than SB? Footsies and choice timing becomes really important in this game when players start making their chars duck alot, not just for Kitana, tho its more notable against her.
The good thing about Kitana making her opponents duck often is that it allows her to do crossup jps and jk~fan setups.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
what is the best way to do IA fan toss on fightstick ?

thanks
The way I do it on pad seems like it would also be the best way on a fightstick, which is a counter-clockwise motion. It's pretty natural with the hand/thumb, and is also advantageous in that it's a backward jump. Therefore you have the option of a closeup iaf (which I sometimes use to anticipate a jump) with a lesser risk of being hit by short range attacks.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Ok... embarrassing questions (I am filled with them!).

1 I looked at some sites and they suggest that you combo after a iaf hits your opponent in the air. I usually just chuck a ground fan after... what is the sort of combos I should be using instead?

2 I am having trouble getting my combo out online (F2, 1, b2, air fan, ground fan, F2, 1) - it always seems to whiff on the b2. I am thinking it is because I am in Australia so it is probably extra laggy. I am not sure whether I should just be committing to the whole combo, which would work but leave me wide open for punishment, or get a new combo that works better in lag. Do you have any thoughts???

3 I am also having trouble with JC. I know if he gets close, I will die within 5 seconds, so I mainly stay away and iaf and then quickly rush in, throw in some quick attacks and back off again. However... his projectile is killing me. What do I do?

Thanks for your help

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
1 I looked at some sites and they suggest that you combo after a iaf hits your opponent in the air. I usually just chuck a ground fan after... what is the sort of combos I should be using instead?
For a basic one, you can do iaf, dash, ground fan, dash, 2~fan, dash, 2(or f2)~cutter. I think there's a thread/post somewhere on the Kitana board with an AA combo compilation.

2 I am having trouble getting my combo out online (F2, 1, b2, air fan, ground fan, F2, 1) - it always seems to whiff on the b2. I am thinking it is because I am in Australia so it is probably extra laggy. I am not sure whether I should just be committing to the whole combo, which would work but leave me wide open for punishment, or get a new combo that works better in lag. Do you have any thoughts???
Yes, that's more likely due to lag than your timing. I use combos that start with f21, njp, and whenever it's too laggy for that I go to b2. Sometimes that doesn't even work with certain connections, and I don't know what the hell to do.

3 I am also having trouble with JC. I know if he gets close, I will die within 5 seconds, so I mainly stay away and iaf and then quickly rush in, throw in some quick attacks and back off again. However... his projectile is killing me. What do I do?
Up close, just know to block because his pressure will most likely beat out all of your standing normals. The only way to get out of it is to throw out some d1~cutters and try to cross him up. His projectile shouldn't be killing you, the only reason that would be happening is if he gets the timing advantage. If that happens, block his projectile, immediately throw an iaf, and you should have enough time to block before his reaches you again, and you can keep pressuring from there.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but how should I go about punishing Mileena's ball? I always instinctively go for f21, but that doesn't work. Will f41 pop her up enough for me to hit a full combo?

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Personally I just input b2 Into a combo. In this thread they say 4~fan works too, prob fir a bigger combo.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but how should I go about punishing Mileena's ball? I always instinctively go for f21, but that doesn't work. Will f41 pop her up enough for me to hit a full combo?
A good combination of damage and ease is 2~fan, 2~lift, dash, b2~air fan, dash, fan, dash, 4~cutter for both ball and telekick (non ex)

Yes, that's more likely due to lag than your timing. I use combos that start with f21, njp, and whenever it's too laggy for that I go to b2. Sometimes that doesn't even work with certain connections, and I don't know what the hell to do.
If the connection is so laggy that you can't connect b2 then replace it with a jump kick to air fan. It's much easier.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Question here:
After blocked f21 is she on advantage or something?, cause i cant punish her and i havent found frame data on this string.

Magnet

No Longer Sh*t Tier!
Question here:
After Kitana dose f21 is she on advantage or something?, cause i cant punish her and i havent found frame data on this string.
no she doesnt have advantage. its safe on block. you cant punish it youre both left at 0.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You are not left at 0. It's like -2 or something. Slight disadvantage. Their d+1 beats hers.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I've never seen this discussed yet so;

While practicing iAF's today I had the dummy in the corner on block always. If you are at sweep range (where your sweep will connect) and in, Kitana will not move backwards after the iAF comes out and hits the blocked dummy,

tested this in 2 player verses both sides of multiple stages and on diff characters, same result.

If the iAF hit though kitana moves backwards.

Same result if you Jump in iAF right in that same range as well

Just wondering if this is a glitch perhaps? Or put in on purpose to give your opponent a way out if you try Jump in iAF. it seems like you would eat full combo on block because you land right in front of them.

Thoughts? or has this been covered somewhere else?