What's new

Strategy Kitana General discussion

Is there anything you guys tend to follow up an instant air Square Boost with? I mostly either go back into zoning or come in with a D1~Cutter. Just curious if anyone does anything in particular with it.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
What do u guys think of faking crossups with an air fan mid (or at the very beg of) crossup? I can see how mid-cross up it could make KL whiff a spin for a full combo on recovery. For Rain's geyser and Sindel's handstand, could a cutter thrown at the very start of a pretend cross up be fortunate? Like a landed fan on Sindel for 8% or a fan on Rain for a kombo?

Also how do u guys follow up a blocked cutter, esp against Lao? Ive been using d1s, or d1~Cutter, but Lao's spin beats d1 it seems.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Also how do u guys follow up a blocked cutter, esp against Lao? Ive been using d1s, or d1~Cutter, but Lao's spin beats d1 it seems.
Yeah they're both 6 frames and f21 leaves you at a slight disadvantage. If he throws a spin after every f21 just bait and punish.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Yeah they're both 6 frames and f21 leaves you at a slight disadvantage. If he throws a spin after every f21 just bait and punish.
I actually meant d1 was beaten off of blocked cutter not f21, but yeah I get what youre saying, bait the spin. just that blocked cutter is +4 and I feel like she should be able to follow it up with something strong just in case he doesnt spin or that just keeps pressure no matter his options.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I actually meant d1 was beaten off of blocked cutter not f21, but yeah I get what youre saying, bait the spin. just that blocked cutter is +4 and I feel like she should be able to follow it up with something strong just in case he doesnt spin or that just keeps pressure no matter his options.
Putting my theory fighter hat on for a sec if a blocked cutter is +4 and you want to follow it up to beat a spin (6 frames) you need a move with 9 frames or less to beat it. For Kitana you only have d1 or d3, that's it.

Even a standing 2 is 11 frames so spin beats that when you're at +4.

DFogz

Noob
Kinda new to Kitana, and forgive me if this has been asked already. But, are there are any combos I could safely throw in an x-ray attack? I tried using her f2,1 then fanlift and x-ray but it only does 31% damage, with her x-ray standing alone it does 31%.
Is there some way I'd be able to throw this out without taking a huge damage reduction on it?

if you block a teleport or something

back 2 fan, then jump forward Xray

or try f2,1,njp,b2 into fan, then jump forward Xray

:D

i used to depend on those up there a lot before i learned the magic of the exfan cancel, but if i have the xray i just like to throw it out when i know it will hit, like trading a projectile or something just bcuz

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I have two questions:

1. I've been using 112, cutter alot recently for pressure. I know 21~cutter is slightly faster due to the 2, but is the range on 1 greater? I like 21 because it can also be cancelled into ex fan, but I believe the damage on 112 cutter is greater and can trick people into releasing block after the 2.

2. When using 41 cutter, how do you assure not to mistakenly use the cutter if the 1 connects? I've had it happen many times where an opponent will seem to block the 1 but get hit by it due to a missed poke/uppercut opportunity (and I think if you release block even after 1 starts to connect it will still hit) and I'll accidentally throw out a cutter thereby missing a full combo opportunity.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
1,1,2~cutter isn't a combo. You can cancel the 2 into cutter but it's not a true combo. 1,1~cutter does slightly less damage than 2,1~cutter and 2 has greater ranger than 1.

You don't. You could hit confirm it from a jump in punch but if they're blocking until the overhead and then eat the overhead you can't see and leave off the cutter. That's the risk of using f+4,1~cutter.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I have two questions:

1. I've been using 112, cutter alot recently for pressure. I know 21~cutter is slightly faster due to the 2, but is the range on 1 greater? I like 21 because it can also be cancelled into ex fan, but I believe the damage on 112 cutter is greater and can trick people into releasing block after the 2.

2. When using 41 cutter, how do you assure not to mistakenly use the cutter if the 1 connects? I've had it happen many times where an opponent will seem to block the 1 but get hit by it due to a missed poke/uppercut opportunity (and I think if you release block even after 1 starts to connect it will still hit) and I'll accidentally throw out a cutter thereby missing a full combo opportunity.
If you mean 'can you hit confirm the 1 from the F41?' I don't think its possible unless you're a ninja, though could be wrong.

Personally I throw out a f41 to see if they block standing, if not use whatever BnB it is you use. If they do block high I throw out a combination of:

f41~cutter
f41~ex cutter (amazing how many people don't block the last hit)
f41~fake out kick
f4~fake out kick (trains them to block low on 2nd hit freeing up f41)

Once you've messed with them enough you may be able to land another f41 launcher as they're not sure whether to block high or low. I play online where fake out kick works quite often, so this probably doesn't apply offline tbh.

There's no reason to block high after F41. Every single special Kitana might follow up with can easily be jabbed out of out, including fake out kick.

You're not going to be able to land a F41 and dash F41. If you don't get poked/uppercutted out of it, you're playing someone who is not very good.

f4~fake out kick (trains them to block low on 2nd hit freeing up f41)
If you want to mix it up, at least use F4B4 instead of fake out kick so you don't get jabbed. In my opinion though, the meter gain from the 1 in F41 is far superior to the easy to react to sweep of F41. Plus there's always the chances the opponent lets go of block for whatever reason, and you get 40%. If you see the opponents also standing up, you can cancel into cutter for even more meter and a guaranteed D1.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
f21,4,fan toss,4,upraise,jk, air fan toss, fan toss, 4 cutter= 43%
f4,1,4, upraise,jk, air fan toss, fan toss, 4 cutter= 38%

What do you guys think of these BnBs I have developed. Any ways to improve them?

And what is the best punish for an air fan toss which catches an air enemy?

♡ F21 NJP dash 4 Fan dash 4 Lift dash dash B2 Fan dash Fan dash 4 Cutter - 48%

♡ F41 dash 4 Lift dash wait a second for the opponent to fall a bit B2 Fan dash 2 Fan dash F2 Cutter - 41% percents may vary depending on if the Fans hit twice or not

F41 dash 4 Lift dash 4 Fan dash 2 Fan dash F2 Cutter - 41%

F41 dash 4 Lift dash dash Fan dash B2 Fan dash Fan dash 4 Cutter - 43%

F41 En Fan dash JP F21 NJP dash 4 Fan dash 4 Lift dash dash B2 Fan dash Fan dash 4 Cutter - 52%

♡ Up close AA iaFan 4 Fan dash 4 Fan dash F2 Cutter - 37%

Mid screen AA iaFan Fan dash 2 Fan dash F2 cutter - 33%

Full screen AA iaFan dash Fan dash en Fan dash dash 2 Fan dash F2 Cutter - 32%

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
f21,4,fan toss,4,upraise,jk, air fan toss, fan toss, 4 cutter= 43%
f4,1,4, upraise,jk, air fan toss, fan toss, 4 cutter= 38%

What do you guys think of these BnBs I have developed. Any ways to improve them?

And what is the best punish for an air fan toss which catches an air enemy?
I'm at work right now, but at a distance I follow an AA Airfan with ground fan, EX ground fan cancelled into another groundfan, F+2, cutter. If I need a win and I can seal the deal another round of EX fan into standard fan can be thrown in the mix. That's situational for me. I don't like burning up that kind of meter unless I know it'll pay off. I'm not sure if that's the most practical followup but that's my followup of choice for now.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
1,1,2~cutter isn't a combo. You can cancel the 2 into cutter but it's not a true combo. 1,1~cutter does slightly less damage than 2,1~cutter and 2 has greater ranger than 1.
I know it's not a true combo, but using the cutter as a followup is obviously better than ending with the 2. It's simply my own preference that I used 112 cutter over the second one, but I wasn't sure about the range.

And Lyuben, for some unbreakable action in your combos you can always do air fan, fan, ex fan+dash cancel, fan. I'll sometimes even use it if I didn't dash close enough, whether or not my opponent has breaker. Also, though the last fan can be followed up with another ex fan, cancel, fan, the scaling makes that kinda useless.

GTL

Noob
im just kinda starting kitana, im doing alright with her but have trouble with my pressure, just wondering what are some safe strings to pull of on defensive opponents.
Thanks

21(2)
11(2)
F41
B1(2)
B3(3)

Brackets mean it doesn't combo into special moves. The first two strings I listed hit high, but 2 has amazing range, and the 112 string itself is pretty fast. F41, 21, and 11 are easily cancelable into fan lift/en fan on hit, cutter if standing blocked, or into their third hit if crouched, though it isn't always necessary. Example being, 21 leaves you at sweep distance, which is perfect for Kitana, and using the last 2 puts her right in the opponents face.

Is F2~Fake Pretty Kick punishable? I understand that it can easily be blocked after the F2, but I've never actually been punished when attempting this as a mixup.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Is F2~Fake Pretty Kick punishable? I understand that it can easily be blocked after the F2, but I've never actually been punished when attempting this as a mixup.

Yeah they can let go of block and interrupt it. I'm not sure if there's any blocked string into fake out that can't be interrupted.

Almost nobody ever does though, so it's a decent shenanigan.

Yeah they can let go of block and interrupt it. I'm not sure if there's any blocked string into fake out that can't be interrupted.

Almost nobody ever does though, so it's a decent shenanigan.
That's kind of what I figured. I was just worried that I wasn't getting punished simply because the people I was facing just didn't have the matchup experience. Can any character get a full punish if they release block in time though? She seems to have a pretty low hitbox when using the Fake Pretty Kick. I can maybe see a Kabal player getting a nomad dash in there. It seems like the worst I could be hit with is a sweep or even just a simple poke.