What's new

Strategy Kitana General discussion

Anyone mind giving me advice on performing a D1 > Cutter string? What bothers me is that since D1 is such a short lived move that the window to cancel it into cutter is really tight. In that window I can mash out the quarter circle, but at that point I am still letting go of the 1 button, and I end up negative edgeing a fan toss. That in turn = punishment T_T

Another question. How viable is this for a pressure string? If cutter leaves you as positive on block as I'm guessing, shouldn't you be able to chain that into another d1?
I don't know how easy it is if you play on a pad, but since i use a stick i just do it all in one motion and i am not sure if i still do this, but i recall that in sf4 i learned avoid negative edge when doing similar stuff by just holding down the button i first pressed untill i have pressed the second one.

Don't really have a good answer for you other question, i haven't even thought of whether it could be a block infinite, but i assume people can get out (i like it as a tool, but i don't want it to be broken), if nothing else they can probably initate a jump and get thrown far away by the cutter.

Holding the button, that sounds plausible, thanks.

I was assuming people could get out, but I was thinking in terms of corner pressure. Neither move can be crouched as far as I know, and both have pretty good speed. In the corner, even if they WERE forced to eat a move to escape (which I still doubt though) they would be right in Kitana's face still, ripe for d3 wakeup cancelling or more d1 pressure.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for defeating Shao Kahn on expert? If I even attempt to get in close and do get combo he punishes me hardcore. If I attempt to stay back with iAF his armor absorbs them and I get nailed with a spear. I've been debating using a different character for the achievement, at the same time I feel like this could improve my Kitana game.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for defeating Shao Kahn on expert? If I even attempt to get in close and do get combo he punishes me hardcore. If I attempt to stay back with iAF his armor absorbs them and I get nailed with a spear. I've been debating using a different character for the achievement, at the same time I feel like this could improve my Kitana game.
I back off and when he goes to throw his hammer, jump it and then punish it with f+2,1, njp, 4~fan toss, f+2~cutter, or can you tag on another 2~fan before the f+2,~cutter?? Not sure, but when he comes up close jump and square boost away from him and repeat. IF he starts throwing spears, duck them because Kitana has a low hit box and they shouldn't hit you. On expert, he doesnt really give me any trouble... Hope this helps!!

I don't quite understand how you are punishing the hammers. If I'm close enough to jump it and punish he usually wont throw it out to begin with. Only at about full screen will he throw projectiles. I know if I can actually hit him I can win, I have no trouble pulling off any of Kitana's BnB combos in the combo thread. Also, when I do knock him down from a combo he seems to be programmed with the perfect counter as I try to escape. If I jump I get AAShoulder charged. If I dash I get double shoulder charged into a low hitting hammer ( even blocking the second charge seems to do some pretty big chip damage ). Even attempting to SB seems to get me nailed by a shoulder charge every time. Maybe it's my mid-range game that needs work? I seem to have more trouble against him than I do most human players :/

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Can't you just get fullscreen and throw ground fans? That's all I did and it beat him every time.

Can't you just get fullscreen and throw ground fans? That's all I did and it beat him every time.
That actually works? I do the same with all characters, stand around the range where he just barely can/can't hit you with normals and hold block untill he does any of his punishable moves and jump in for a combo, rince & repeat.

Hi guys, trying to improve my game. A few questions:

1) Dealing with pressure. D+1 is marvelous for dealing with pressure, but what about cross-ups? Other characters seem to have no problem upper-cutting me when i try to cross them up, but I can't seem to do it. I've been trying to read it and jump back with a jk.

2) What is your bnb for when you catch someone with her fan lift? I usually jk~fan, land, fan, f+2~cutter. Could i be getting more damage here?

3) If I have meter, can I add a significant amount of damage to my bnb? f2,1, 3~fan, f2~lift, b2~fan, fan, f2+cutter. I know i can replace the 2s with 4s, but i have trouble doing this online.

4) how the heck do you consistently avoid sheeva's teleport stomp?

Thanks!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
1. Lower your hitbox with d+3. NJP or jump back punch/kick~air fan.

2) fan lift, jump kick~fan, ground fan, 2~fan, 2~cutter.

3) you could end with x-ray or ex fans. like after the b+2~fan, fan do ex fan cancel, ground fan, ex fan cancel, ground fan, then your ender. But this won't add significant damage. You use meter in her combos for unbreakable damage. Her damage meterless is already ridiculous.

4) constantly spam air fans. both IAF and slightly higher. If you're up and you haven't thrown the fan yet and you see her go up you can boost away.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I don't quite understand how you are punishing the hammers. If I'm close enough to jump it and punish he usually wont throw it out to begin with. Only at about full screen will he throw projectiles. I know if I can actually hit him I can win, I have no trouble pulling off any of Kitana's BnB combos in the combo thread. Also, when I do knock him down from a combo he seems to be programmed with the perfect counter as I try to escape. If I jump I get AAShoulder charged. If I dash I get double shoulder charged into a low hitting hammer ( even blocking the second charge seems to do some pretty big chip damage ). Even attempting to SB seems to get me nailed by a shoulder charge every time. Maybe it's my mid-range game that needs work? I seem to have more trouble against him than I do most human players :/
Hi there, you can do it the way Konqrr says, but the way I do it is I back off and try to get as much distance as possible. If I cannot back off at the start of the match I try to jump and square boost to the other side and put some distance between me and Kahn.

He should try to spam the spears and eventually he will go for the hammer throw, this is where I jump over and then f+2,1 full combo. The f+2 has a lot of range on it so you should connect with it after jumping the hammer. Not sure if you can get a fanlift in the combo as I haven't tried!!! You should be able to duck the spears no problem. If he starts getting too close to you, try to jump and square boost to the other side and repeat the process.

Kahn doesn't give me too many problems, seems to be when I get to Shang Tsung is when I get a bit stuck!! Hope this helps somewhat!

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
That actually works? I do the same with all characters, stand around the range where he just barely can/can't hit you with normals and hold block untill he does any of his punishable moves and jump in for a combo, rince & repeat.
It certainly does! Spam the b*****d with ground fans and you can take him out. Just remember that everytime you throw fans, you get closer to him, so try to keep your distance and keep throwing them out!

jtom

Noob
block the shoulders, wait for him to kick or do an upshoulder then punish. if he throws a hammer, jump over it, dash in and punish. if he taunts, dash in and punish. just be patient, you cant win by going on the offensive.

not that the game on expert is in anyway difficult, but the boss fights (goro, kintaro, shao kahn) are actually 100000x easier then the normal ladder fights imo.

Hi guys, trying to improve my game. A few questions:

1) Dealing with pressure. D+1 is marvelous for dealing with pressure, but what about cross-ups? Other characters seem to have no problem upper-cutting me when i try to cross them up, but I can't seem to do it. I've been trying to read it and jump back with a jk.

2) What is your bnb for when you catch someone with her fan lift? I usually jk~fan, land, fan, f+2~cutter. Could i be getting more damage here?

3) If I have meter, can I add a significant amount of damage to my bnb? f2,1, 3~fan, f2~lift, b2~fan, fan, f2+cutter. I know i can replace the 2s with 4s, but i have trouble doing this online.

4) how the heck do you consistently avoid sheeva's teleport stomp?

Thanks!
1. I try to jump back and JK+air fan. If you win you get a combo too. Once they start trying to throw out air moves very early to prevent this, you wont have to worry about the crossup.

2. I try NJP > B2, air fan, fan toss, 2, fan toss, F2, cutter

3. The best ways I have found to add damage to a combo with meter is (FJP) F4, 2, EX Fan toss (hold), jump cancel FJP, F2, 1 > Continue combo

Or you can do (and I think this produces more damage) (FJP) F2, 1, NJP, 4, Fan toss, 2, Fan toss, 2, EX Fan lift, dash, dash, B2, air fan > Continue combo

4. I hear fan lifts are a great way to stop Sheeva stomps, but I usually just time a backwards jump.

Thanks for the advice. Staying back and throwing fans worked for me finally. Usually he blocks and dashes until he gets close enough to shoulder charge me, didn't seem to do it this time. I think I was just becoming frustrated, attempting to make it more complicated than it needed to be, which made me leave myself too open. Also learned to play much more defensively than I usually do which I think will help in the long run.

@kobra - you can catch him with Kitana's full BnB f2,1 combo including the fan lift after the 4.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Tried out the costume finally. It does glitch just like the MK3 costume with air xray.

I wanna know if Kitana's hitbox is larger with her MK2 costume also. I've heard certain combo strings drop on Kitana (and Mileena) in the normal costumes, but will connect if she's using her MK3 (I believe one of them was a Sheeva string). Does this apply to her MK2 as well?

DrDogg

Noob
How are you guys doing d+1~Cutter from crouching? I have no problem doing it from standing, but if I'm crouching and I use d+1, I find it near impossible to cancel into Cutter. Help?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
How are you guys doing d+1~Cutter from crouching? I have no problem doing it from standing, but if I'm crouching and I use d+1, I find it near impossible to cancel into Cutter. Help?
You have to go to Neutral then press d1~f2. You can do it fast enough so you stay crouched.

I take it that people on this forum are aware of the silent1 and Tom Brady show, I just found it recently on you tube, does anyone know if they have done a kitana episode? If so could someone post a link to that episode be it YouTube or otherwise, thanks. If I come across it I will come back and post a link.

I take it that people on this forum are aware of the silent1 and Tom Brady show, I just found it recently on you tube, does anyone know if they have done a kitana episode? If so could someone post a link to that episode be it YouTube or otherwise, thanks. If I come across it I will come back and post a link.
http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1/b/286476444

They start covering Kitana questions around the 5 minute mark. You can view all the old streams from the channel's main page if you click on the "more videos" link.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
yes, it's like 3 or 4