What's new

General/Other - Cybernetic Kano's Cybernetic Variation Discussion Thread

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Looks like Cyber Kano is trash now.
Mortal Kombat 9 Kano is trash. Mortal Kombat X Kano, on the other hand, is still a very good character. Probably not top tier, though. There is really nothing else left to normalize so he should fly under the radar as the top tier characters get weaker.

b+1 is also still very good. The move was never meant to be +2 on block so there is no point in bitching about it.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Kano, particularly Cyber Kano, has all of the tools to compete with the majority of the cast. B1 is a part of why.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Then don't throw knives up close unless they're EX. Seriously you're killing me here...stop playing Cybernetic Kano as a pressure character and start playing him as a zoner for gods sake. He's not "trash", Cybernetic is his best variation.
Commando master race

Lanqu

Noob
okay, I see what you say. And now Cyb Kano seems very balanced.
But sadly each balanced character is not as good as top tier. Mixups or insane + frames are still the main thing that distinguishes top tier from high tier and thats where Cyb Kano is now.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
okay, I see what you say. And now Cyb Kano seems very balanced.
But sadly each balanced character is not as good as top tier. Mixups or insane + frames are still the main thing that distinguishes top tier from high tier and thats where Cyb Kano is now.
EX Knives, B31, 2, all plus on block. Have you looked at his frame data?

Lanqu

Noob
yep I had. But having + on 2 is trash because nobody is going to stand against Cyb.
Ex Knife is ok, but meter is not that is always accessible and +5 doesnt gurantee any follow up, even more it just says "Hey, Im gonna open up myself now trying to land a hit on you".
B31 is ok, but you need to be infront of their face to connect it, and as you have stated before it is not the position where CybKano should be to take advantage of the plus. He is not a threat upclose as he was anymore

Rude

yep I had. But having + on 2 is trash because nobody is going to stand against Cyb.
Ex Knife is ok, but meter is not that is always accessible and +5 doesnt gurantee any follow up, even more it just says "Hey, Im gonna open up myself now trying to land a hit on you".
B31 is ok, but you need to be infront of their face to connect it, and as you have stated before it is not the position where CybKano should be to take advantage of the plus. He is not a threat upclose as he was anymore
Yes, he still is. He's not and never was a rushdown character, but his pressure is still very good. For one thing, Kano builds meter very quickly in Cyber.

For another, they have exactly four frames to armor through a b1 follow up. If you think they will take a risk trying to open you up while you're plus, simply hold the block button and punish their reversal.

The opponent mashing out armor while you're + is a bigger risk for them, not you. For one thing, it is difficult to time. Besides that, a lot of the better, faster reversal options like slide, up ball, spin are all unsafe.

So if you read a reversal, block and punish.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Why are you downplaying him so much?
It doesn't matter if noone stands against him, high attacks still hit a low blocking opponent, and if they're dealing with him up close they're going to be blocking low. Even then you can do 2F4 which is neutral.
Meter is not always accessible?! In a variation where you're supposed to be throwing knives all the time?! Come on man... even if +5 doesn't guarantee any followup they need meter to interrupt any followup.
B31 hits from slightly further than right in your face but it's still a good string because the 3 takes a while to come out so you can stop the string at B31 and mix them up.
He's fine up close but he's not supposed to excel up close because he's a zoner. Forget about his "pressure" or "mixups" up close because that's not how you play him optimally. You're just making it harder for yourself trying to win up close.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Cutthroat Kano may be calling your name. He has the same normals except he loses that awesome b1 the other two have in exchange for an overhead one. But his Knives are even more plus on block, can't remember the exact number, so they will face a mix up.

Keep in mind that no matter what char you're trying to take advantage of plus frames with there is no guarantee. Back dashes are still an option to escape and must be read to be punished so there's not really a perfect scenario. Just some that are a lot more easy mode or use less resources to achieve. So you still gotta guess right.

NHDR

Noob
@Lanqu

Try out Cutthroat, is more of a rushdown-first character. Can still use knives to zone but not in the same way Cybernetic might. I view Cutthroat as the balance between Cybernetic and Commando.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Kano's variations are clearly divided in terms of effective range. Cybernetic is not top tier, not in a game like this, where extremely strong offence, corner game, fast forward advancing armor and vortexes are all the rage, but Cyber is still hella good with some of the absolute best defensive tools in the game. If I may use Tekken characters as a comparison, I see Cybernetic as Kazuya and Cutthroat as Heihachi.

I view Cybernetic as an anti character to the current meta and playstyle. I personally prefer Cutthroat as this type of playstyle just fits MKX a lot better and until I come across characters and players I simply cannot beat using Cutthroat I will stick to my guns. Commando is hands down the hardest variation to win with, followed by Cybernetic. I think Cutthroat is the easiest.

Rude

I think Cyber is still in the top ten conversation. In a rushdown heavy game, Cyber slows the pace down. Very few characters can do that.

Youphemism

I really don't see why Cybernetic Kano couldn't be top 10, I mean yes he has no overhead but he has a few plus frames and can "mix up" with strings like B31(2) or throw. He gets decent damage as well, a great anti-air, one of the best projectiles in the game, decent footsie tools and standing resets that guarantee pressure in some cases. He's really good.

I just remembered someone at the MK Cup qualifier (back on the 18th of April) told me that either Cybernetic or Cutthroat Kano would be irrelevant in a month HAHAHAHA

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
What's your highest damaging combo off of a b1 anti air? Just asking here cause cyber has more options (I feel) to end a combo. I have been trying b1(aa) b1(x3)b13 kano ball, 22%. And If I carry to the corner I do b1(aa), b1,b1, 11,112 kano ball for 27%

What's your highest damaging combo off of a b1 anti air? Just asking here cause cyber has more options (I feel) to end a combo. I have been trying b1(aa) b1(x3)b13 kano ball, 22%. And If I carry to the corner I do b1(aa), b1,b1, 11,112 kano ball for 27%
Honestly I usually only do b1, b13 xx kano ball cause it's easy to confirm. I can do three b1s sometimes in training mode but I don't feel confident going for it in a match yet.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
^^ This because making sure you get your damage is way more important than going for max and always dropping it.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Honestly I usually only do b1, b13 xx kano ball cause it's easy to confirm. I can do three b1s sometimes in training mode but I don't feel confident going for it in a match yet.
How much does that give you? Last night I was consistently doing one less b1 and netting 18%. Which think isn't too bad

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What you are looking for is here-

http://testyourmight.com/threads/kanos-cutthroat-variation-discussion-thread.50154/

Enjoy.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Lol, exactly. A lot of people in this game are trying to play characters they like aesthetically in ways the variation just doesn't lend itself to, then they complain about lack of options or whatever. There's a reason each character has 3 variations, you can't approach them all with the same mindset.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
I find it annoying how everyone calls zoning spamming. People can be so whiny online lol those knives are Cyber Kano's selling point am I right?

Lanqu

Noob
Well, yeah, knives are his main tool.
Gonna have a large set of 1v1s offline this weekend, perhaps there will be some streaming.
Would try all your advices to see how it is going now.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Hey, you could be one of those Combo Spamming Scrubs
Lol that's literally what he said. I would throw a few knives and run in and f4db1 b232+4 dash njp b131+3 with some d1 and b4's thrown in, couple air balls and I got called a spammer twice haha

Rude

So i was talking to Saltshaker the other day and he told me a little about converting a combo off of MB Knife on hit.

What i didn't know was that you could do this mid-screen. If this is already known, feel free to blow me up.

I was playing with this a little last night and found that with certain enders, like 2,f4, you can get a consistent 23 percent across all starters that ends in a hkd. There's more to this depending on the ender you choose.

For example, ending in b13,1+3 leaves them standing and you plus.

Also, from mid screen, if you do 112, MB Knife, run cancel, b13, 2+4 MB, B23, 1+3, or 2,f4, or kano ball, or b23,2+4, you can actually push them into the corner and leave yourself at around jump distance?

It seems like a heavy investment for two bars, but from where you start at the beginning of a match, it carries your opponent into the corner with a reset or a hkd, doing close to 30%. It's probably situational, but worth knowing.

The highest damaging, 1 bar MB Knife conversion i found mid screen was: 112 xx MB Knife, run, 112, Kano ball for around 27 percent or so.