What's new

General/Other - Kano KANO IS LIKE, BOTTOM ZERO GUYS

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Oh you mean when Pig of the Hut posted his nonsense tier list that was basically a subliminal Kenshi balance whine, and everyone took it like the gospel?

Yeah that was pretty fuckin dumb of TYM. Nothing out of the norm.
I remember even then saying "man, how is Sonya Top 5??? I would say back of the Top 10 but DEF not Top 5." and "Kenshi is bad but is he really dead last?" and getting shut down by TYM lol. Now no one thinks it.

TYM at it's finest lol.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
The Kano's I saw got away with a lot that most of us usually don't against anyone with experience against the char. But he is underplayed....hmm, why is that?

I only got to watch from start to the first big break due to time differences. Steve's commando was pretty nice, props to him. Still can't believe he got not one but two B3 starters on DJT in the corner. That shit almost never happens in most games! Especially if they know the match up. But again great match.

I'm glad that Kano got repped a bit though. But I was dis-pleased with the false narrative sold by the commentators that "he's really good." That's simply not true. If that was the case you'd see top players picking him up. No one does that, even as a side char though. I think only about 3 or so higher level tourney players that have played him since the beginning still claim him as their main. Hmm.

There were also several other bills sold on the mic by players who don't know the char beyond watching people get outplayed. Notice that when Tyler and Derrick from NRS were on the mic not once did they call Kano good, strong, dangerous etc. They said that about several other chars they saw, often more than once, but not Kano. And Tyler likes him some Kano.

Now that I got my piece out of the way. Props to the Kano's! Keep grinding.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Me too. I think Cyber has the easiest "feel" to it to react and adjust in game. Cutthroat has the highest curve and toughest execution which I think is what deterred people from it in the first place, but by far has the biggest rewards. Nothing better than crushing a Sub-Zero Ice Slide WU with EX Buff.
I really like the meter building aspect of cyber, and don't feel like I achieve it with Cutthroat. I probably should play more cutthroat, but it doesn't quite mesh as well as I feel like it should.

The Kano's I saw got away with a lot that most of us usually don't against anyone with experience against the char. But he is underplayed....hmm, why is that?

I only got to watch from start to the first big break due to time differences. Steve's commando was pretty nice, props to him. Still can't believe he got not one but two B3 starters on DJT in the corner. That shit almost never happens in most games! Especially if they know the match up. But again great match.

I'm glad that Kano got repped a bit though. But I was dis-pleased with the false narrative sold by the commentators that "he's really good." That's simply not true. If that was the case you'd see top players picking him up. No one does that, even as a side char though. I think only about 3 or so higher level tourney players that have played him since the beginning still claim him as their main. Hmm.

There were also several other bills sold on the mic by players who don't know the char beyond watching people get outplayed. Notice that when Tyler and Derrick from NRS were on the mic not once did they call Kano good, strong, dangerous etc. They said that about several other chars they saw, often more than once, but not Kano. And Tyler likes him some Kano.

Yeah, I agree for the most part. It was like that at CEO though too(Or whichever one Royale made it to top 16).

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Yet she still has quadruple more people using her than Kano.

Difference being a lot of people tier whored Sonya when the "top 5" narrative was going around. Once they saw she was "good" but not "Top 5" people proceeded to drop her. But a lot of people still has her because she is good. Where as the Kano community started out gigantic the first few weeks and now we are one of the smallest communities around. If Kano was as "fine" as some claim he is 85% of the community wouldn't have hit the road after a few weeks. Not a single one of the "I play multiple characters" top players has even touched Kano. Like literally not a single one of them. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The numbers just don't add up.
My point is that the number of people playing a character or dropping a character doesn't NECESSARILY means he/she's ass. D'vorah is top tier, while Mileena is probably bottom 5, and I don't see D'vorah players as often as I see Mileena players. There are only a few names playing that character. I don't see Kano is an underpowered character at all. Takeda and Goro are worse.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Truth!!!!

I swear it's like they know he's bad, so they go into full damage control whenever he's up. No one likes the "damn this character sucks" narrative so they gas him up the very few times he ever shows up nowadays to make people think he's amazing. If I didn't know any better and listened to the commentators only I would think he was Top 10! lol

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
My point is that the number of people playing a character or dropping a character doesn't NECESSARILY means he/she's ass. D'vorah is top tier, while Mileena is probably bottom 5, and I don't see D'vorah players as often as I see Mileena players. There are only a few names playing that character. I don't see Kano is an underpowered character at all. Takeda and Goro are worse.
Goro yes, because he is THE worst. I think Kano and Takeda are on the exact same level.

The number of people playing a character and dropping a character are two different things entirely. Cyber Kano was one of the most popular characters Week 1. Now? Barely. Example.

Jax is a Top 5 character imo. Easily actually. Yet there are very few Jax players. Probably as few as Kano, maybe less even. Jax requires flawless execution at the highest level and a strong understanding of MU's. Because of this, very few people play Jax. That in no way doesn't mean his tools aren't incredibly strong. It means that most people don't use him because they aren't capable of the execution required, or would prefer to use an easier high tier character.

Now compare that to a character that was initially perceived as Top 10 with a huge community and high representation. Then Kano was nerfed. Then people explored his toolset more while opponents learned the MU. Then people saw what the cast can do. Then this once huge community lost 85% of its members. Then none of the high level players pick him up or even pocket him. That's usually a gigantic red flag, and the opposite of what you see when a character is "fine".

Another example is the Kenshi community. A mid tier to upper mid character. Possibly the biggest community at launch, but after a few weeks almost the whole community bailed. Then Kenshi got buffs, and the majority came back, a few stayed gone, and a few new people joined. Now, they are still a huge community. Key point? When he sucked, most people left regardless of community size.

This is why most people have left. This is why guys like Forever King and DJT can play half the cast and don't play him. This is why no one picks him up at all. Not because they got bored. Not because they had a different main planned. Not because they all jumped to Top 5. Not because they'll get around to him.They left for one simple reason. They don't pick him up for one simple reason. They practiced, they played, they explored, and then they realized, that he sucks.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Goro yes, because he is THE worst. I think Kano and Takeda are on the exact same level.

The number of people playing a character and dropping a character are two different things entirely. Cyber Kano was one of the most popular characters Week 1. Now? Barely. Example.

Jax is a Top 5 character imo. Easily actually. Yet there are very few Jax players. Probably as few as Kano, maybe less even. Jax requires flawless execution at the highest level and a strong understanding of MU's. Because of this, very few people play Jax. That in no way doesn't mean his tools aren't incredibly strong. It means that most people don't use him because they aren't capable of the execution required, or would prefer to use an easier high tier character.

Now compare that to a character that was initially perceived as Top 10 with a huge community and high representation. Then Kano was nerfed. Then people explored his toolset more while opponents learned the MU. Then people saw what the cast can do. Then this once huge community lost 85% of its members. Then none of the high level players pick him up or even pocket him. That's usually a gigantic red flag, and the opposite of what you see when a character is "fine".

Another example is the Kenshi community. A mid tier to upper mid character. Possibly the biggest community at launch, but after a few weeks almost the whole community bailed. Then Kenshi got buffs, and the majority came back, a few stayed gone, and a few new people joined. Now, they are still a huge community. Key point? When he sucked, most people left regardless of community size.

This is why most people have left. This is why guys like Forever King and DJT can play half the cast and don't play him. This is why no one picks him up at all. Not because they got bored. Not because they had a different main planned. Not because they all jumped to Top 5. Not because they'll get around to him.They left for one simple reason. They don't pick him up for one simple reason. They practiced, they played, they explored, and then they realized, that he sucks.
Does this mean you've expanded your stance on the Kano buffs, and the thread you made? I'm legitimately interested in seeing what you think he needs now in comparison to then.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does this mean you've expanded your stance on the Kano buffs, and the thread you made? I'm legitimately interested in seeing what you think he needs now in comparison to then.
Definitely. I wanted to wait until EVO before I update it to see if something would change my mind, but it just solidified what I was thinking. People are out there picking up pocket Jason's for crying out loud before they touch Kano. Very telling.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Well, I can't wait to see them. Just remember to make EX knives +10. Man I'd love that pressure

LEGI0N47

Truth!!!!

I swear it's like they know he's bad, so they go into full damage control whenever he's up. No one likes the "damn this character sucks" narrative so they gas him up the very few times he ever shows up nowadays to make people think he's amazing. If I didn't know any better and listened to the commentators only I would think he was Top 10! lol
According to ultradavid hell yeah you would. truth is he is in the bottom 10 on EVERYONE's list. For the hopeful just insert the "well bottom in this game isn't like other games" narrative. There's enough there to keep hope alive, kinda like bigfoot.

Then you got the NRS guys, who like the char and think he's cool, and that's all they say. They don't talk about his good moves, what he's capable of. The conversation is devoid of such things. Just Kano's cool. Basically making a statement by not saying anything, but people are dumb.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
According to ultradavid hell yeah you would. truth is he is in the bottom 10 on EVERYONE's list. For the hopeful just insert the "well bottom in this game isn't like other games" narrative. There's enough there to keep hope alive, kinda like bigfoot.

Then you got the NRS guys, who like the char and think he's cool, and that's all they say. They don't talk about his good moves, what he's capable of. The conversation is devoid of such things. Just Kano's cool. Basically making a statement by not saying anything, but people are dumb.
Oh god, I remember during the coach steve match he did the EX up ball, and was super unsafe, Tyler and the other de(forget his name all the time) said NOTHING, just kept trucking along. THAT irked me, because everyone just pushes it aside, despite it being a BIG ISSUE. Especially considering that it was the focus of Kano's last "Buffs"

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I remember even then saying "man, how is Sonya Top 5??? I would say back of the Top 10 but DEF not Top 5." and "Kenshi is bad but is he really dead last?" and getting shut down by TYM lol. Now no one thinks it.

TYM at it's finest lol.
yeah, I saw you say something in that thread like "Sonya higher than D'Vorah? LOL" and look where we are right now, and thats even with D'Vorah's nerfs.

Also, you said this on the third page, lol

Buff Kano.

LEGI0N47

Oh god, I remember during the coach steve match he did the EX up ball, and was super unsafe, Tyler and the other de(forget his name all the time) said NOTHING, just kept trucking along. THAT irked me, because everyone just pushes it aside, despite it being a BIG ISSUE. Especially considering that it was the focus of Kano's last "Buffs"
Yup. I'm so tired of "upball is really good, AND it's safe" line. Just duck if you think Kano will wake up with it at all, problem solved.

And his Name is Derrick. I think they may have been secretly mocking it with "oh there's that up ball that just got buffed recently" did you catch that one?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX

TYM at it's finest lol.
Dude, we could save so much time if every character got one of these:

Like, we could just post these images... In every thread regardless of relevance; push our issues into the anus of the gaming zeitgeist. Imagine it. Every thread, a whiney shitshow monument to every little complaint and blatant glitch of an inferiority complex dragged to the forefront by a simple .gif. No more would there be the up and down playing. There would be only an honest admission of the pure politics lurking just below your gaze.

The difference between what happened to Grandmaster Sub-Zero vs. Kenshi as a whole is that their spokespersons are the difference between the loud and obnoxious yet somehow friendly Billy Mays and the very... Hepatitis C-ness that is the ShamWow guy.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Yup. I'm so tired of "upball is really good, AND it's safe" line. Just duck if you think Kano will wake up with it at all, problem solved.

And his Name is Derrick. I think they may have been secretly mocking it with "oh there's that up ball that just got buffed recently" did you catch that one?
Of course. But I'm not as certain as you are that it was mockery.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
If I was to rate the three variations I would rate them.

Cutthroat- Viable. Mid tier at worst. Strong underused variation. Has weaknesses but makes up for it with high damage, good wall carry, deathly corner game, 50/50, strong oki, and good variation exclusive strings.

Cyber- Vastly Overrated tier. Good Week 1, then nerfed, one level above trash tier in mid July. No dirt. No pressure without meter, unsafe pressure with meter, incredibly low damage, zoning variation that loses zoning wars to most zoners, no oki, no corner game.

Commando- Doodoo tier. Fun to play as though. Only thing worse is Spectral Ermac level bad.
Mid tier at worst? Lolstop. His damage is only high if you don't get hit after chest slap. Im still glad I picked him up though.
#phucktiers

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
20% off a bar spent for a command grab or parry. Remember the bar. And Commando(MKX's designated grappler) right now has 3(three) tick setups. Erron Black has 13(THIRTEEN), and I'm fairly certain that's across all variations.
This is true, and I agree that Commando needs 1 tick throw off a decent string.

However, EB's tick throws do not allow him to loop pressure, whereas Commando's give good advantage on the knockdown.
Nor do they allow him to control positioning of the throw, and do less damage.

Swings and round abouts.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Mid tier at worst? Lolstop. His damage is only high if you don't get hit after chest slap. Im still glad I picked him up though.
#phucktiers
Let's not go this far. Cutthroat Kano is good enough. Could be better yes, but Cutt is far from bad. That isn't the problem. It's the other two variations that need much more help.