What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

ando1184

Noob
So we still don't get a better hitbox from b1(cutthroat) or a more reliable upball as an AA or true punish, and 11, standing 2, and ex knives still whiff vs some crouch blocking hitboxes? Does f4~choke/f4~knife/ex knife still whiff too?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
So we still don't get a better hitbox from b1(cutthroat) or a more reliable upball as an AA or true punish, and 11, standing 2, and ex knives still whiff vs some crouch blocking hitboxes? Does f4~choke/f4~knife/ex knife still whiff too?
B1 is fine, if people are still missing it then they need to level up and learn to position themselves better using the stamina bar. And with all the anti-airs Kano has is Up Ball really a priority? Lol. The hitbox stuff sucks though. I'll test F4 blockstrings when I'm next on, hopefully they don't whiff but I doubt it.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Cutt looks pretty legit now. Can say too much else on the other variations just yet. I don't think he'll become the new flavor though. That's clearly going to Gunslinger Erron lol.
I don't think he will either. There were plenty of top chars that actually got some decent stuff to keep em busy. Plus LBSH, most kids want the easy W.

Over all I also don't quite understand the number of changes to CT while the other two got little. I'm DLing the update now so perhaps there will be some hidden genius shit in there. I fear that is wishful thinking though. From the notes and some posting here it looks like it to me that he will still have some of the same issues, just with a little bit of frosting now to make those things not seem quite as shitty. I'm still hype for seeing what he can do now though.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Upper 40s for a one bar punish is pretty serious lol. I'm hoping he flies under the radar but I have a feeling kano is gonna become really popular soon and we are gonna start having Nerf kano threads

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't think he will either. There were plenty of top chars that actually got some decent stuff to keep em busy. Plus LBSH, most kids want the easy W.

Over all I also don't quite understand the number of changes to CT while the other two got little. I'm DLing the update now so perhaps there will be some hidden genius shit in there. I fear that is wishful thinking though. From the notes and some posting here it looks like it to me that he will still have some of the same issues, just with a little bit of frosting now to make those things not seem quite as shitty. I'm still hype for seeing what he can do now though.
Yea I stayed home today because I ended up playing all night and this morning lol. I'm coming to the conclusion that very little happened outside of the Cutt buffs. All the old hitbox bugs that plagued him are still there as if they didn't even look at it for the character, UpLaser buff is ok but not what I expected and vastly inferior to HQT Pred/FA Jacqui upShots, and the pop string in Comm is all for show and inferior to simply using an EX Ball cancel during starters. In Comm/Cyber, his issues and problems haven't really changed in the slightest.

Feels like they figured if they made the strongest variation viable they could just tack on anything and move to the next character. I feel the only options are to play Cutt for the most competitive advantage or play the other two variations for fun or a few specific MU's. I feel weird because I actually think this is good game design and is in line with what the game should be, but I don't like that they do it this way. Cutt the "main viable" variation, the other two as decent compliments.

At this point other than the whiffing issues I'm not sure I can complain. They made Cutt at least a borderline top 10 "contender", and it seems like most characters have 1 variation significantly better than the other two. That may have been their intent with the patch, to give us a "viable Kano" and play the rest of him at our own judgment. I wish the other two variations got actual buffs, but if they didn't get them now it may never happen.

I'm going to be dropping the other variations and going full on Cutt going forward. Maybe still use Cyber for specific MU's like Cassie or Comm for specifics, but mostly Cutt. It was the best before, but now it is head and shoulders above the other two.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Upper 40s for a one bar punish is pretty serious lol. I'm hoping he flies under the radar but I have a feeling kano is gonna become really popular soon and we are gonna start having Nerf kano threads
I don't think so. He still doesn't have any stupidly plus pressure that leaves him in 50/50 range without RCing. You have to RC properly to use his 50/50. Basically you will still have to be able to play footsies with him and space well. He just doesn't have a 1 frame link anymore. Same Kano, better punishment options.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Why do you say that? It's less a damage combo than just using EX Ball cancel and is only in one string that won't be used that often, where as Ball Cancel is for any starter.
It's more damage unless you count 112 ex ball rc njp combo which NO ONE does. Even if you put in jip after cancel (112 ex ball rc jip 112 ball) that's 30%. 32 Ex popup is 32/33% or 33/34% on big bodies (32 32 32 rs/ps). You can hit confirm it and the string itself is just -1. The range is bad but for some strings and specials it's just fine.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
I don't think so. He still doesn't have any stupidly plus pressure that leaves him in 50/50 range without RCing. You have to RC properly to use his 50/50. Basically you will still have to be able to play footsies with him and space well. He just doesn't have a 1 frame link anymore. Same Kano, better punishment options.
True but if the other thread is right he is +14 after b121 ex buff so they have to be ready for 50/50. Your right tho I said it earlier as well he pretty much is same character just more plus on some things and more damage and the pressure he can't even loop

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It's more damage unless you count 112 ex ball rc njp combo which NO ONE does. Even if you put in jip after cancel (112 ex ball rc jip 112 ball) that's 30%. 32 Ex popup is 32/33% or 33/34% on big bodies (32 32 32 rs/ps). You can hit confirm it and the string itself is just -1. The range is bad but for some strings and specials it's just fine.
Ah I didn't know it was a couple percent more. That's pretty good actually.

Still not crazy about it though. I would rather have had a new universal Comm pop up move, or added tick throws, or B13 having the option, than one EX string ending pop up from 32. Even if one of the command grabs popped up it would be better suited. 32 in the neutral is one of the last things I do so this pop up addition won't really be used too much by me at all, but I guess I can see why others would like it.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

Still not crazy about it though. I would rather have had a new universal Comm pop up move, or added tick throws, or B13 having the option, than one EX string ending pop up from 32. Even if one of the command grabs popped up it would be better suited. 32 in the neutral is one of the last things I do so this pop up addition won't really be used too much by me at all, but I guess I can see why others would like it.
no no don't get me wrong. This is barely a buff, but it's a nice addition. The pop up should be an ender on b13 and f3, kinda like in Cyber. 32 is decent to stick out after a b1 or on their wakeup in the corner. Starts up fast, crushes pokes and is hit confirmable in to full combo. I feel he could use a bit more love before commando reaches his full potential

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

All that Cybernetic crying and Cutthroat got buffed.

wat da fuk man

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I agree with the sentiments. If all of his whiff issues had gotten fixed then commando would be fine; but they didn't it looks like... So they just were like "ok... commando needs something.. let's give them a mostly redundant popup on one of their worst strings... that will really dynamically help the character be a grappler"... Ok guys. If they arent gonna fix his large amount of whiff issues I need more ticks or fuckin' something to actually help his playstyle archtype; not just a popup because it sounds like it'll open up possibilities..... The whiff issues are just really bullshit... I can't even pressure people

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Come on you can't compare optimal 321+3MB combos to sub-optimal ex ball cancel combos.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
no no don't get me wrong. This is barely a buff, but it's a nice addition. The pop up should be an ender on b13 and f3, kinda like in Cyber. 32 is decent to stick out after a b1 or on their wakeup in the corner. Starts up fast, crushes pokes and is hit confirmable in to full combo. I feel he could use a bit more love before commando reaches his full potential
Yea the corner is a good example. That's where I use it the most. The dropped the ball on the whiffing issues though. That was the main thing that a variation like Comm really needed.

All that Cybernetic crying and Cutthroat got buffed.

wat da fuk man
I'm convinced that they sat in a room and decided to purposely make sure Kano would be fully viable by buffing the best variation and calling it a day. Convinced.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Yea the corner is a good example. That's where I use it the most. The dropped the ball on the whiffing issues though. That was the main thing that a variation like Comm really needed.

I'm convinced that they sat in a room and decided to purposely make sure Kano would be fully viable by buffing the best variation and calling it a day. Convinced.
"Let's make the only viable variation even more viable"

-Paulo Garcia, 2015

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. Buffs to keep people happy without adressing the actual issues. The pop up is fine, Commando didn't need it so it's a nice addition. What he DOES need is grabs not whiffing randomly and if I can wish for a luxury buff: choke connecting on hit from all attacks.