What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Yooo just started going in the lab with Commando Kano and what the fuck is up with that 32 string!? It's great! Like, it doesn't knockdown and it's +51 on hit. The string is available in all variations I think but in commando it makes the little mini game of 'guess if your opponent will push buttons or not' haha.

At +51 you get to push buttons and they jail. He has a command grab and if you suspect that the opponent will block then you get it will hit, but if they jump you're getting punished. If you suspect a jump just start pressing your combo starter because it'll hit and the jump animation won't come out or you can just go for Choke.

I know I'm probably late to the party but I learn well in discussion. Any opinions on that?

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Wow, I had been overlooking that it's fucking +51!, that's insane. Definitely makes more sense to be trying to use it. I've been using it more lately on Oki and during pressure but I had no idea it was +51, that's pretty insane, I feel like a fool now, I'll be playin' around with this tonight for sure.

edit: feel like such a scrub!, oh man. I'm gonna take a serious look at his frame data again.

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Wow, I had been overlooking that it's fucking +51!, that's insane. Definitely makes more sense to be trying to use it. I've been using it more lately on Oki and during pressure but I had no idea it was +51, that's pretty insane, I feel like a fool now, I'll be playin' around with this tonight for sure.
Yeah it's a pretty damn serious amount of advantage you get, Cassie Cage has to spend a bar to get that sort of advantage. I tested on Cassie and EX Flip Kick wouldn't come out so I doubt it can be backdashed. It probably can be backdashed or armoured out of if you go for the command grab through, maybe, I should have tested that.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Am I wasting time learning Kano? I'm really digging cut throat..but I don't have time to be getting owned by higher tier characters.
It's a solid variation and can compete for sure but IMO takes time to master. It/He is not like some of the top tiers where it is relatively easy to succeed with braindead low risk high reward situations etc. He's a footise and punishment based char. Put in the time, learn MU's, and you will be rewarded. If you're looking for easy mode he might not be the way to go.

Also there is a lot to be said for the game being more enjoyable and you performing better playing a char you like over one who is supposed to be da bes. Doesn't make it any less frustrating to deal with obvious BS though.

Also Kano's I feel terrible. After a solid spot of traveling the last few weeks I booted up the game and feel like I've hardly ever played. Oh how my parts have rusted :(

FlappyDaniel

Yeah it's a pretty damn serious amount of advantage you get, Cassie Cage has to spend a bar to get that sort of advantage. I tested on Cassie and EX Flip Kick wouldn't come out so I doubt it can be backdashed. It probably can be backdashed or armoured out of if you go for the command grab through, maybe, I should have tested that.
unfortunately the range of 3,2 is pretty bad, but nothing I can't figure out how to place.

Legion, I'd try to run some Rib smash frenzy sets with you if you're down, but youre in germany so time zone/connection may not work out.

Scott The Scot

unfortunately the range of 3,2 is pretty bad, but nothing I can't figure out how to place.

Legion, I'd try to run some Rib smash frenzy sets with you if you're down, but youre in germany so time zone/connection may not work out.
I'd personally use it at the end of combos, like 112~EX Ball Cancel, run~3,2 then do what you want.

FlappyDaniel

I've generally been using meter for Armor on command grabs, not just for applying pressure. but breaking through with the armor on EX ball and following up with 32 could definitely be fruitful. I like JUST got to work when I read your post... now I have to wait all damn day to get in the lab and test shit out lol.

Regarding 3,2. Generally if you are going to spend the bar.. you want to go for max damage. With cyber you don't want to go for the mixup because there is no mixup (lol). With commando, the mixup you do, if landed.. does about the same amount of damage as an optimal combo for 1 meter. It's decent as it is low execution though.

Also I'm not 100% sure it is +51. +51 should mean you have time to have a jump in on block... but if you go for this you will get D2'd by most characters/

Scott The Scot

Regarding 3,2. Generally if you are going to spend the bar.. you want to go for max damage. With cyber you don't want to go for the mixup because there is no mixup (lol). With commando, the mixup you do, if landed.. does about the same amount of damage as an optimal combo for 1 meter. It's decent as it is low execution though.

Also I'm not 100% sure it is +51. +51 should mean you have time to have a jump in on block... but if you go for this you will get D2'd by most characters/
So the frame data is wrong?

Never change, NRS, never change :p

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Since all of the Kano players have been telling their opinions about him I guess I will to.

Cutthroat Kano is very good, I still think his b1 should be extended just a smidge because right now it's pretty stupid. Otherwise I think he's a solid A tier character right with Ermac.

Cybernetic Kano needs help with a few things. His knives damage should be boosted because it's fucking paltry, and I think making b13/b23 1+3 neutral would give him a nice boost. A case for b1 having less recovery could be made.

Commando needs a complete redesign. I'm on my phone right now so I'll go into detail later.

FlappyDaniel

I heavily disagree that he needs a complete redesign. He is a strong character as it is right now, just a few holes. I look forward to reading your thoughts on why he needs a complete redesign though.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
I've generally been using meter for Armor on command grabs, not just for applying pressure. but breaking through with the armor on EX ball and following up with 32 could definitely be fruitful. I like JUST got to work when I read your post... now I have to wait all damn day to get in the lab and test shit out lol.
I could use some Commando tricks, I'd appreciate some matches online sometime if you're down!

lemmywinks

losing record
Commando could benefit from some exclusive combos, or at least make wood chipper safe on block to make it useful. A launching string that could lead to a command grab would be sick.

LEGI0N47

Yeah if you work or go to school at kinda normal times you wouldn't be able to. 1230-4 or 5PM EST is about what I can do most days.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
As someone who only plays Kano on the side, I find him wholly mediocre. He ain't bad, but he ain't good either. I mostly play him because he is straightforward and footsies oriented and that is my style, regardless of how good he actually is.

I will say for my money Cutthroat is the only variation worth even bothering with, cyber the "zoning" variation isnt even that much better at zoning than the other 2 considering its projectile unsafe on block unlike regular knife which is safe vs just about everything minus ex spin.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
My mood chooser has been switched to Pyro. The switching of main's is truly complete. :coffee:

I shall still fight the good fight for what the character deserves, but I'll have to play him in casuals at best in the meantime while we wait.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
My mood chooser has been switched to Pyro. The switching of main's is truly complete. :coffee:

I shall still fight the good fight for what the character deserves, but I'll have to play him in casuals at best in the meantime while we wait.
I'm going to be sick to my stomach. Though I do need Pyro experience...

As someone who only plays Kano on the side, I find him wholly mediocre. He ain't bad, but he ain't good either. I mostly play him because he is straightforward and footsies oriented and that is my style, regardless of how good he actually is.

I will say for my money Cutthroat is the only variation worth even bothering with, cyber the "zoning" variation isnt even that much better at zoning than the other 2 considering its projectile unsafe on block unlike regular knife which is safe vs just about everything minus ex spin.
cyber helps against chars who have low profile attacks under the knives, like liu kang and Sub zero

LEGI0N47

Keep him alive! In the mean time good luck.

If I'm honest I've had the same thoughts but am deterred by the fact that I'm short on time and not sure if I want to sink that much time into another character. Plus there's not a lot of them that I like as much as him.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Keep him alive! In the mean time good luck.

If I'm honest I've had the same thoughts but am deterred by the fact that I'm short on time and not sure if I want to sink that much time into another character. Plus there's not a lot of them that I like as much as him.
I definitely will and thanks! Gonna start going taking the longer travel to Next Level so I can get on some of their streams and get my revenge against Jupiter lol. I'm going to bury Cyber though. Not feeling it in MU's at all anymore. Gonna stick with FA Jacqui and go all Cutthroat Kano as secondaries.

Character-wise, I found myself in the same boat. There's very few characters I "like" in this game, so there aren't many options to switch. And I can't play more than 3 at a time without losing touch with characters so unless Tremor blows my mind away I'll probably stick with these 3.