What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
it was clearly a patch made around normalizing the stuff that shouldn't be, like +20 moves on block. Of course, a patch with that description would be called the Kano patch around these parts.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
So, I'm going to actually try to get good at option selects(In practice). Problem is, almost 100% of the time it never works. I either throw out the laser/slice/ball on block, or I don't get them on hit. For example I'm doing B12xxdb1EX, which on the one time I got it to work came out as B121 on block. But most of the time it does everything backwards.

Short story even shorter, how do I option select properly with Kano?
Uh why would you bother trying to option select B12 when B121 is hit confirmable and neutral on block? Lol

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
M
So, I'm going to actually try to get good at option selects(In practice). Problem is, almost 100% of the time it never works. I either throw out the laser/slice/ball on block, or I don't get them on hit. For example I'm doing B12xxdb1EX, which on the one time I got it to work came out as B121 on block. But most of the time it does everything backwards.

Short story even shorter, how do I option select properly with Kano?
For what you are talking about you don't have to. If you're going with B12~slice you have enough time to react to either doing B121 for block or B12~slice of you hit. If your reactions are too slow just use B121 combos for a couple of less % since you have yearssss to hit confirm off of that string.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Uh why would you bother trying to option select B12 when B121 is hit confirmable and neutral on block? Lol
General knowledge. Using Kano instead of Jax or whoever else I try to play because I'm on the Kano board.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
With all the ex buff tech being discovered and Cutthroat's overall reliance on meter (midscreen 50/50 combos etc). I am starting to think using Combo breakers as Cutthroat is generally not a good use of meter, especially against other meter reliant characters or the ones that don't do more than let's say 35% with their bnb's. I would also opt to not use meter when launching someone with the f2-string and not gaining the corner during the combo. Something to also consider about ex buff is that an uppercut will do 21% on hit and 5,25% on block. If you know your opponent is gonna wake-up and they are low on health (Goro ex punch walk herp-a-derp) then just trade with their wake-up attack with d2. Throw with ex buff active will do 18%.

With an active buff, you still need to have 1 bar to get the most out of your time under the buff and with the potential uses of ex buff, it can be said that Cutthroat Kano needs to be sitting on 2 bars of meter at all times to be at his highest potential, however, this potential is wasted if you choose to break as soon as you get caught in a combo. When you think about it, eating a combo as CT kano is not the end of the world unless you are going to lose the match or be near death after the combo. Your opponent may gain corner positioning, but they are just 1 throw away from being cornered as well. Commando may also not want to break when in a considerable life lead, with Commando's armored options you have great okizeme defence options. Once again, opponent is only 1 powerbomb or generic throw away from getting cornered and commando has a corner game almost on par with Cutthroat.

I will also make this claim for best uses of meter for different variations.

Cyber: Combo breaker (you don't generally want to be near the corner). Armor with ex kanoball cancel. Meter burning 2+4 as mix-up from staggered b1-block strings. Ex knife(?) for potential chip-out deaths, pressure or empty jump AA's into b2 conversion, as well as character specific situations, for example clone punish vs GM Sub.

Commando: Ex command grabs, ex kanoball cancel for midscreen combos, combo breaker, ex choke for an AA that is unbreakable and will kill.

Cutthroat: Ex bladeslice midscreen after anything except f2,1,2. Ex bladeslice in the corner from non 50/50 launchers aaaand pretty much everything else, armor, ex buff after NJP, ex buff after kanoball when opponent has no meter (pressure them, put yourself at a disadvantage with any string into knife, then ex kanoball through counterpokes with ex buff still active). Blowing all your meter for a killing combo.

Discuss.

Ok...seriously...they should make Kano's f2,1 in Cuthroat -5! not -6...this make it unsafe against Cassie Cage and practically unusable move in the match. you have to cancel into into EX Blade Toss to make it safe. If the purpose of NRS was to make the move safe, then just do -5 or -4 like Reptiles f2,1. I think we should all make sure NRS hears this and see if it can be made happen!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
With all the ex buff tech being discovered and Cutthroat's overall reliance on meter (midscreen 50/50 combos etc). I am starting to think using Combo breakers as Cutthroat is generally not a good use of meter, especially against other meter reliant characters or the ones that don't do more than let's say 35% with their bnb's. I would also opt to not use meter when launching someone with the f2-string and not gaining the corner during the combo. Something to also consider about ex buff is that an uppercut will do 21% on hit and 5,25% on block. If you know your opponent is gonna wake-up and they are low on health (Goro ex punch walk herp-a-derp) then just trade with their wake-up attack with d2. Throw with ex buff active will do 18%.

With an active buff, you still need to have 1 bar to get the most out of your time under the buff and with the potential uses of ex buff, it can be said that Cutthroat Kano needs to be sitting on 2 bars of meter at all times to be at his highest potential, however, this potential is wasted if you choose to break as soon as you get caught in a combo. When you think about it, eating a combo as CT kano is not the end of the world unless you are going to lose the match or be near death after the combo. Your opponent may gain corner positioning, but they are just 1 throw away from being cornered as well. Commando may also not want to break when in a considerable life lead, with Commando's armored options you have great okizeme defence options. Once again, opponent is only 1 powerbomb or generic throw away from getting cornered and commando has a corner game almost on par with Cutthroat.

I will also make this claim for best uses of meter for different variations.

Cyber: Combo breaker (you don't generally want to be near the corner). Armor with ex kanoball cancel. Meter burning 2+4 as mix-up from staggered b1-block strings. Ex knife(?) for potential chip-out deaths, pressure or empty jump AA's into b2 conversion, as well as character specific situations, for example clone punish vs GM Sub.

Commando: Ex command grabs, ex kanoball cancel for midscreen combos, combo breaker, ex choke for an AA that is unbreakable and will kill.

Cutthroat: Ex bladeslice midscreen after anything except f2,1,2. Ex bladeslice in the corner from non 50/50 launchers aaaand pretty much everything else, armor, ex buff after NJP, ex buff after kanoball when opponent has no meter (pressure them, put yourself at a disadvantage with any string into knife, then ex kanoball through counterpokes with ex buff still active). Blowing all your meter for a killing combo.

Discuss.
Yea I think that Cutthroat needs meter the most out of his variations. You need it for everything, but it also has high value with everything it's used for.

Cyber I stopped using meter for 2+4 in strings. I use it after an AA B1 but not after a B13. The damage is too low so I'd rather do a string meterless in the high 20's than 1 bar in the low 30's. Mainly combo breakers and Ball Cancel.

Never heard of Commando before.

I mostly agree with your meter usages.

just found out you can reverse some wakeups in the corner with upball (did it against punchwalk). no extensive testing though, i believe it might be tricky to not hit block or get caught by "behind" hitboxes.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
Is it safe to say cutthroat over cyber because all im doing is block string in cyber. How do you open pepole up/suppose to play cyber?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Is it safe to say cutthroat over cyber because all im doing is block string in cyber. How do you open pepole up/suppose to play cyber?
If you haven't dove in too heavily, go to Cutthroat as the main variation.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Cybernetic requires knowledge on spacing, footsies and mind games. Couple of throws will open up your opponents if their blocking a lot. Use safe strings obviously and dive into Kano's Frame Data to study his block and hit advantages. It was difficult at first coming from street fighter but I stuck it out and understood this engine a bit more. This character fetches out punish. BAIT BAIT BAIT. Let's also hope for some fixes to some of his buggy crap. Also, his ground game, neutrals, knives shenanigans etc. VERY IMPORTANT.

Youphemism

If you want a really really short version of how to play Cybernetic Kano:
KNIVES
Footsies
Zoning
Anti-air with B1 into a combo
KNIVES
Staggered blockstring mixups like doing B312 or B31 (which is +1 on block) then throwing or doing another move
K N I V E S
EX Kano Ball cancels to armour through gaps into full combo

But if you want the easy way of opening people up then Cutthroat has an overhead starter as well as the low starter. If you want to play Cybernetic though then the K N I F E B O Y Z will welcome you.

Last edited:

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
If you want a really really short version of how to play Cybernetic Kano:
KNIVES
Footsies
Zoning
Anti-air with B1 into a combo
KNIVES
Staggered blockstring mixups like doing B312 or B31 (which is +1 on block) then throwing or doing another move
K N I V E S
EX Kano Ball cancels to armour through gaps into full combo
This is the meta. However, Shinnok boneshaper craps on all of this if you aren't on point with reads at ALL TIMES

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Its better to go kano with commando first then cyber then cutthroat. This way you can utilize all of his strings i.e. Using b3 to hit a d4, F33 for d1boiz, 11 to break slow armor moves, etc.

Theres a lot more, I'm still learning. Though the ones i pointed are useless against blockstring bois i.e. Shinnok, kung lao, etc. unless you make them play footsies which they shouldn't.

True

From Scrubs to Pros
Am I wasting time learning Kano? I'm really digging cut throat..but I don't have time to be getting owned by higher tier characters.

Youphemism

Am I wasting time learning Kano? I'm really digging cut throat..but I don't have time to be getting owned by higher tier characters.
Nope. Cutthroat is his best variation, if you like playing it then play it. It has ok zoning, has overhead and low combo starter (one of which is neutral and the other is +1 which is great), has great damage and even air options which not a lot of characters have. Play who you want to play :)

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Guys I am incredibly disappointed in this community. How are we supposed to get Kano buffed if we don't get a chant going in the kombat kast?

/kappa, but not really

Dukmunky

*SIGH*

Just got to mess with Predator a bit. He feels an awful lot like Kano, except he doesn't need run cancels like Cutthroat, he can do 37% with one meter and he has a bunch of other tools for pressure and zoning based on the variations you pick. He's just missing the ball, but his laser anti-air is more effective than any of Kano's

He seriously feels like how Kano would play if they gave him everything he was missing. This is a knee-jerk reaction, of course, but I'm just really hoping it doesn't mean Kano gets nothing in the next update because "we already have a character who plays like that."

He even has a sweet headbutt combo.

Dukmunky

The more of ya'll jump ship the better. I'm a hipster when it comes to fighting games, love playing the character nobody plays.
I'm the same way. Can't stand when people pick characters just because they are "top tier" on event hub

Reactions: DFC