What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Just want to say regarding the this thread weeds out the fans, etc from those who love MK X etc there's little difference, if anything those who've followed MK longer would be considered the true blue fans to me(not just with MK but with anything) example, the Mets earlier this year every other guy in NYC had a damn Met hat on all of a sudden(so sure they'll diehard Met fans) and I'm a Yankee fan I did NOT don a Met hat, why? Because I'm a TRUE fan and loyal to whatever I support, not a poser....

In MKX's case if you play it regardless of MK fan for years or fan of a good game, are a fan of the game however.

I have noticed though names I don't know regardless of big or not over the past 5 years since MK 9 and MK X came out and you see all these people out of the wood work lol(some may even say posers)... Just want to get that out there. Most on here have followed MK that I know for years or from other sites, but then there's those who are just here for other reasons who IMO don't give two shits about MK as a series or the lore of it.

Halo used to be awesome.
Yeah I loved Halo 2, all after that and COD to me at least seemed kind of rinse and repeat with minor changes. Halo 2 was probably to this day my favorite halo for sure.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
To each his own I guess, but MK lore is awesome compared to other fighters especially lol. I like the effort NRS puts into the story, characters etc.

virtiqaL

Noob
Make a list of the players you're talking about and I can tell u why or where they are
I mean, it was a rhetorical statement/question, really. If some players aren't around, they're either not interested or can't invest time into the game for one reason or another. I don't need to know their personal reasons.

But to my point about top/old school players coming off as apathetic towards MKX, even you have seemingly come off as that way at times. I don't know if that's mostly a Kenshi/balance thing or if you feel that MKX misses the mark in other ways. I know you've spoken about your busy schedule and responsibilities, and that's understandable.

I just feel if MKX is the sequel everyone truly hoped for, there would be more people from the MK9 era around and participating, and the ones we have would be more enthusiastic in general. Basically, I think drama/hype would come naturally if this is a game everyone is truly enjoying, it wouldn't have to be forced, we wouldn't need a 16 Bit to start hype with someone, the game itself should inspire that competitive spirit.

These guys all have something in common...they're getting bodied.
Wound Cowboy who was on KTP with you guys awhile back even said himself that he doesn't particularly enjoy the game, and he's won a major, so yeah.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I mean, it was a rhetorical statement/question, really. If some players aren't around, they're either not interested or can't invest time into the game for one reason or another. I don't need to know their personal reasons.

But to my point about top/old school players coming off as apathetic towards MKX, even you have seemingly come off as that way at times. I don't know if that's mostly a Kenshi/balance thing or if you feel that MKX misses the mark in other ways. I know you've spoken about your busy schedule and responsibilities, and that's understandable.

I just feel if MKX is the sequel everyone truly hoped for, there would be more people from the MK9 era around and participating, and the ones we have would be more enthusiastic in general. Basically, I think drama/hype would come naturally if this is a game everyone is truly enjoying, it wouldn't have to be forced, we wouldn't need a 16 Bit to start hype with someone, the game itself should inspire that competitive spirit.

Wound Cowboy who was on KTP with you guys awhile back even said himself that he doesn't particularly enjoy the game, and he's won a major, so yeah.
i mean i could write a novel on why it is this way but it wont do any good

ErMac333

Noob
I'm not a competitive player, I really just appreciate the experience, and I like the experience in most fighting games, so yes, I'd play another brand like DC, I played a little bit of Injustice after all. Amongst other would be Capcom, Marvel, SNK... I really like fighting games, but for my solo play experience and not the lag and delay in online, the huge and diverse talk on technical approaches and everything else. I like to go on training, pull off some combos, do a challenge mode, finish story, see arcade endings, unlock stuff, get some achievements, enjoy the thing by myself.

But one thing is for sure, I'm never playing a fighting game as much as an MK branded one, because my interest in MK's lore and story is just huge, I lived with it, grew up with it, played every single game with passion and repeated times, drew MK kharacters so many times, I just breathed a lot of MK during my whole life, so as a fan, I probably wouldn't have the same patience with any other fighting game, even though I kinda like to spend my time on them.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
And people used to think having 7 pallet swapped ninjas was cluttering the roster, and now people are pissed when they're not in a game, so...
I think this speaks more about the weak roster than anything else. If all the new characters were as amazing and unique as say D'Vorah or Kotal then people would request old characters less. Very few people would want a bunch of old characters back if the new characters were mostly amazing.

I remember perfectly when Kotal Kahn was announced and people realized he was replacing Shao Kahn, everyone "wanted Shao back, a playable Shao, he's way better, etc". Then Kotal quickly grew on everyone and you barely hear Shao Kahn even mentioned anymore. People have fully accepted Kotal Kahn as Shao Kahn's replacement.

Translate that to some of these "other" new characters and it's the opposite. Many people would prefer the Noob, Cyrax, Sindel's, etc of the world over a lot of the other new characters, so knowing these characters made the roster over popular favorites doesn't cut it because these characters themselves failed to connect to the audience.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
"MK9 has no footsies"

~ everyone (2011)
And it's going to happen to the next game and the next

In fact it's not possible for a game to not have Footsies once space and frame data is present Footsies have to exist even IGAU had Footsies

It's how viable using Footsies as a tool to win is the question.

The Neutral is s lot different in MKX with Run and Advancing moves and i think lately we are seen them being used effectively with still away to go for full potential

MK9s Footsies was what I'd call closed distance, as there was little to no fast advancing moves, so you could stay just outside touching range to bait and punish.
Since the 2 chars where so close to each other I assume that's why it was more intense to watch and satisfying to view like a game of Chicken.
This worked in MK9 because the whole meta was mostly universal, short reach .long recovery,walk speeds jump arcs to respect etc etc

When in MKX although closed distance can be present depending on the char, match ups and situations, but now since they went full on with making every element of a char unique so the range, levels and recovery vastly different in this game.

Some moves recovers slow on whiff like MK9 so it's whiff punish on reaction, then you have more Street fighter type of Footsies of whiff punishing on read meaning your condition and logically evaluate when your opponent is going to use their go to normal like D4 for example.

As I said since there is a Run button and a lot of Advance normals in this game I feel neutral would be like 5 times MK9 distance averagely(maybe more),as this is where you control space comfortably to a level where you should be able to react to most thing such as start of runs and long ranged moves.
Although I believe the run button is also a tool in Footsies, I call it runsies (lol) but to play Footsies the way you generally know, you need to shut down their running and blow them up for it so they are forced to respect your footsie game

IMO To do this you need to find your chars safe ranged poke or normal so when you see them run you press that button to catch them running, with Cage I use D4 and sometimes F3 and for the advancing moves I use 113, if I want to play safe I use a safe armour move if Its an option for you.
If you think your char doesn't have an anti run tool you be wrong, because everyone has, and that's NJP and NJK. This also shut down run in jumps too, start using these soon as you notice the opponent run from the outside range and watch how many times you hit them, I know it sounds simple but try and use these more and yeah I know some chars have really Stupid NJP/K that they just Spam out whenever but I promise every NjP will do the job, I use Cages.

"What if they run in and stop to bait my NJP?" Well congrats you have successfully forced them play Footsies!.....well atleast a step in the right direction .
A good few chars can also use jump back normals to the job.

Every char has different run speed and normals so that's up to you to find out .

I could go so much more on this but I wrote a lot already

Last edited:

Aramonde

Noob
You understand what they are doing with Cassie and co. is testing the waters to see how well the new characters are received. So for example, if Cassie is received very well they _could_ replace Johnny or Sonya with her in the next game.

Of course, they could always bring said characters back to.

For the 3D characters, considering many of them have been killed off in the comics, which is canon, I don't think NetherRealm Studios agrees with you. I don't either, personally. The 3D games are generally not regarded well for a reason; best to stay away from them in my opinion outside of references.
I dont know if the comics are cannon. There's stuff in there that straight up contradicts what happens in the story mode. The author himself said most of the early issues he wrote for nrs hadn't finished the story yet.

If the comics are cannon then NRS has lots of explaining to do.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I dont know if the comics are cannon. There's stuff in there that straight up contradicts what happens in the story mode. The author himself said most of the early issues he wrote for nrs hadn't finished the story yet.

If the comics are cannon then NRS has lots of explaining to do.
They are

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
P

I also want to point out, notable NRS/MK9 players such as Slips go on about how much of an improvement MKX is, yet we've seen less of them competitively (if at all) than we did in MK9, the supposedly inferior game. I understand that life gets in the way, and we don't always have the funds to travel, but to the "old school" MK9 players (the ones not already in YOMI) that truly feel this is the better game, where the hell are you? There's so many missing faces for this supposedly superior game, and even the ones that are familiar, in some cases, just don't seem to have the same spirit or come off as very inspired. Brady, for example, with all the supposed issues that Sub had in MK9, seemed way more passionate and inspired to compete back in those days. PL doesn't come off as someone who is 'into' the game that much either. CD Bros. are missing, etc. I could go on.
MIT and DJT were MK9 powerhouses and they have had infinitely more success in MKX. Your point is invalid.

Not to mention guys like F0xy, Sonicfox, Kevodaman, REO, etc etc.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Has Ed or NRS ever officially said this?
I think Shawn has at some point. From looking at the interviews, it really looks like they were meant to bridge the gap. Ermac is the only major plot hole, and I think he is better in the comics. The in game cutscene is there to help people who didn't read them I suppose. It's bothersome, but yeah I think they are, as every other character lines up.

virtiqaL

Noob
MIT and DJT were MK9 powerhouses and they have had infinitely more success in MKX. Your point is invalid.

Not to mention guys like F0xy, Sonicfox, Kevodaman, REO, etc etc.
I said "Old School" players, not top players. You missed my point. I also said those not already in Yomi.

The scene is missing a lot of "mid-carders" so to speak from the MK9 era. Everyone contributes, it's not just about the people winning or placing in the top 1-3 at tournaments.