What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Would you be interested in this game?

For example, if MKX was branded with DC characters, would you be still interested in the game?

I for one, believe that MKX is so popular because MK's lore and setting is too godlike. Everyone has "their" character and their connection with the series. So therefore, I probably wouldn't even touch this game for the amount of BS that is in it, if it wasn't for the fact that I love the characters that I play.
MK is always going to have a lot of branded characters. For example, Cyrax is branded. Sonya is branded. Smoke takes true talent and determination. Kabal = totally branded.

@Braindead

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
I would probably play the same amount if it had DC characters instead, and more if it had Marvel characters, because a friend of mine loves everything Marvel, so it'd be easier to get him to train in a game like that than in an MK game, and I'm sure my game wouldn't be so flawed if I had a sparring partner. To be honest, I dislike the roster in MKX. I like the characters that come from the old MK games (including Quan Chi, Shinnok, and Kenshi, and excluding Tanya and Sonya, which I have always disliked), three new characters: Erron Black, Kotal Kahn, and Tremor, and one guest: Predator. I play for those, and the gameplay, that is the gameplay of a NRS game, even with all the bullshit it has (I would prefer it if it didn't have breakers that cost stamina, 50/50s, moves and cancels with twenty frames of advantage on block, and high priority jump attacks). Since the bullshit is too much (most matches end the moment you get hit), I'm not getting a sparring partner, and nothing good has come to my life from playing fighting games, I may drop it one of these days. I already left it a couple of months ago, but came back to it, like the usual addict.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
... and one guest: Predator.
I would recommend you to give Jason a try, he doesn't look like an interesting character but once you play him you will get a lot of fun, it still amuses me to this day how that guy could give such interesting tools to such a bland char on paper. On the other hand, I think Predator could have been way more interesting, but he is still THE Predator, so I'm not gonna complain :cool:.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
@Juxtapose I don't disagree with you but I do think quite a bunch of the 3D characters could be greatly improved if they put effort into them like they did with the new characters. Maybe not Cobra but Ashrah, Kai, even Daegon!

In saying that, I think Ferra/Torr is the worst new character. They fit in about as well as Moloch but are just as superfluous. It also does not help that they are essentially a Mad Max character in an MK game.

And NRS should stop with this fantasy of replacing all the old characters. Completely replacing classic characters is not going to do the series any favors and will possibly lead to the series going down.

SEN WIIISE

Kall the Kid, King Khanum!
I love Midway/NRS fighting mechanics. They've got their own brand in that sort of way like SNK has KOF and Capcom-Streetfighter.
So, yeah I'd still love it. Of course the lore and setting has a lot to do with it. But I enjoy playing their games cause of how they feel.
Of course whether or not I'd stick to it after some years is up to what replaces the MK Brand, but yeah.

I mean. .I played teh fuck outta Injustice. So...Yeah

And NRS should stop with this fantasy of replacing all the old characters. Completely replacing classic characters is not going to do the series any favors and will possibly lead to the series going down.
You understand what they are doing with Cassie and co. is testing the waters to see how well the new characters are received. So for example, if Cassie is received very well they _could_ replace Johnny or Sonya with her in the next game.

Of course, they could always bring said characters back to.

For the 3D characters, considering many of them have been killed off in the comics, which is canon, I don't think NetherRealm Studios agrees with you. I don't either, personally. The 3D games are generally not regarded well for a reason; best to stay away from them in my opinion outside of references.

People knock MK9's balance a lot, and I agree it was imba, but I mained Scorp/Sub in that game and in even in match-ups that were not in my favor whatsoever, I rarely felt like I lost a game or set due to wrong guesses, but to wrong decisions. If that makes sense...

Hell, even in a Sub vs. Cyrax match, there was at least a chance to win if you played your hand right and played it patiently. And it was at least rewarding to outplay those match-ups and hype as hell to watch others pull it off too. In MKX, 'outplaying' just tends to feel as if I made the right choice between going for my overhead or low starter... not exactly rewarding.

Balance issues aside, the game was just damn fun, it was crack and it brought me into competitive fighting games. In MK9, win or loss, I was having fun. I don't find it hard to believe that there's people who definitely like MKX, but I feel few people LOVE the game. I have this nagging feeling that everyone who plays the game competitively/defends it wishes it was more than it is (could just be me projecting my own feelings), and that could be for a number of reasons already stated, such as the absence of notable personalities from the MK9 days.

I remember on an episode of KTP back in MK9 when 16 Bit and the guys were discussing what they wanted to see out of a sequel to MK9, and 16 Bit said he basically wanted as little change as possible from MK9. I took that as him saying he wanted a sequel that felt familiar with better balance. Well, MKX to me feels very different from MK9, and that may be a good or bad thing depending on you ask.

-edit-

I also want to point out, notable NRS/MK9 players such as Slips go on about how much of an improvement MKX is, yet we've seen less of them competitively (if at all) than we did in MK9, the supposedly inferior game. I understand that life gets in the way, and we don't always have the funds to travel, but to the "old school" MK9 players (the ones not already in YOMI) that truly feel this is the better game, where the hell are you? There's so many missing faces for this supposedly superior game, and even the ones that are familiar, in some cases, just don't seem to have the same spirit or come off as very inspired. Brady, for example, with all the supposed issues that Sub had in MK9, seemed way more passionate and inspired to compete back in those days. PL doesn't come off as someone who is 'into' the game that much either. CD Bros. are missing, etc. I could go on.
Yeah mk was a good game that had problems that could of been fixed and should of been fixed. I really didn't want a mkx , i wanted an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9 with maybe updated graphics, certain character nerfs, certain buffs, more stages, more costumes, more fatalities, and mayyybbee more characters. That would of been my dream come true.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
I would recommend you to give Jason a try, he doesn't look like an interesting character but once you play him you will get a lot of fun, it still amuses me to this day how that guy could give such interesting tools to such a bland char on paper. On the other hand, I think Predator could have been way more interesting, but he is still THE Predator, so I'm not gonna complain :cool:.
I appreciate the recommendation, and when I mentioned those characters, I meant the characters in terms of how they look, and their background. If we're talking about gameplay, I wouldn't include Kotal Kahn, for instance.

I do think quite a bunch of the 3D characters could be greatly improved if they put effort into them like they did with the new characters.
I'd like to see Reiko in a NRS game.

Agree. And I definitely hope the series go down if they replace the classics with all the bullshit they're making these days.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I remember when Mortal Kombat 3 came out and was a distinct shift away from the asian style of the previous two games; to mixed reception.
The first time I saw Subzero and Shang Tsung in those ridiculous costumes I almost cry. Edit: Shang Tsun n MK2, his costume in MK3 was less awful. Btw, The martial arts shaolinesque atmosphere is almost non existent in MKX, and that makes me sad.

The first time I saw Subzero and Shang Tsung in those ridiculous costumes I almost cry.
Ha, same, and Sub-Zero was my main in that game! It was still cool, it was still Mortal Kombat, but I remember people being more critical and luke warm about it all.

And then they released Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 bringing back many favourite characters, mainly the ninjas, and people were far more happy and overlooked more of the game's shortcomings.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I love MK as a series, but im really not feeling MKX at the moment. I'm still going to be playing it on the side and support the game as long as i can, but i'm mostly going to be focusing on Smash and SFV when it drops.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Yeah mk was a good game that had problems that could of been fixed and should of been fixed. I really didn't want a mkx , i wanted an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9 with maybe updated graphics, certain character nerfs, certain buffs, more stages, more costumes, more fatalities, and mayyybbee more characters. That would of been my dream come true.
Exactly this. I had high hopes for MKX bringing new interesting characters, but the moment I saw Ferra/Torr, D'Vorah, and Cassie, I decided that UMK9 would've been best. Maybe after Injustice 2 they think about it.

Odyessus

New PSN: XShdwX_Odysseus
I said no but it depends what spin was on it. If it was a new fighting game it wouldn't be touched. I'd literally say "they are jocking Mortal Kombat." And the whole time be thinking about the next MK release date. Now for the legendary question...... which kombatants are stronger Sf or Mk. MKMKMKMKMKMKMK!!!!!!

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
You understand what they are doing with Cassie and co. is testing the waters to see how well the new characters are received. So for example, if Cassie is received very well they _could_ replace Johnny or Sonya with her in the next game.

Of course, they could always bring said characters back to.

For the 3D characters, considering many of them have been killed off in the comics, which is canon, I don't think NetherRealm Studios agrees with you. I don't either, personally. The 3D games are generally not regarded well for a reason; best to stay away from them in my opinion outside of references.
Well yes, that is what they are doing. However, the majority of the promotional material for this game was revealing classic contenders: Raiden, Kitana, Kung Lao, etc. If they started to just have the new characters and leave out a majority of the classic iconic characters (Scorpion and Sub will never not be in the game) I think it would be a harder sell. We'll see... People have taken a liking to Cassie and D'Vorah (blech) so it could go the opposite way but, as you said, this roster is primarily classic faces.

I mean, agreed or not, I am just stating a fact. If they put some energy into it, they could improve many 3D era characters. Even though they were killed off, the comics gave Reiko a backstory and purpose and they fleshed out Havik. Whether they want to use that energy to fix them to be a kombatant again or not is not of my concern but they hypothetically could and that's all I was trying to say.

Also, I did not deny Ferra/Torr fits in, I just said they seemed rather pointless and lazy. The Cyber Ninjas fit into the general 90s aesthetic of MK for me so I had no problems with them canonically but they did bug me because they were cyborgs (and I was totally anti robots at the time lol). However, seeing that plot line forcibly implemented in MK 2011 just made me cringe.

And then they released Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 bringing back many favourite characters, mainly the ninjas, and people were far more happy and overlooked more of the game's shortcomings.
And the same cycle will repeat if they replace a lot of the classic characters with post-2011 ones. Boon and co. need to just accept that this series is kept afloat by its classic characters. This "replacing" tactic is just bad juju.

Last edited:
Well yes, that is what they are doing. However, the majority of the promotional material for this game was revealing classic contenders: Raiden, Kitana, Kung Lao, etc. If they started to just have the new characters and leave out a majority of the classic iconic characters (Scorpion and Sub will never not be in the game) I think it would be a harder sell. We'll see... People have taken a liking to Cassie and D'Vorah (blech) so it could go the opposite way but, as you said, this roster is primarily classic faces.

I mean, agreed or not, I am just stating a fact. If they put some energy into it, they could improve many 3D era characters. Even though they were killed off, the comics gave Reiko a backstory and purpose and they fleshed out Havik. Whether they want to use that energy to fix them to be a kombatant again or not is not of my concern but they hypothetically could and that's all I was trying to say.

Also, I did not deny Ferra/Torr fits in, I just said they seemed rather pointless and lazy. The Cyber Ninjas fit into the general 90s vibe of MK for me so I had no problems with them but they did bug me because they were cyborgs (and I was totally anti robots at the time lol). A lot of MK3 bugged me but Sindel and steel armed Jax were pretty cool. However, seeing that plot line forcibly implemented in MK 2011 just made me cringe.
Cool. Keep in mind though that not everyone even likes all the klassic characters. There are people who hate on Scorpion, Kitana, etc. and of course many more who love them.

And that's the cool thing about the series, there's lots of great characters, and some not so great characters, but everyone loves someone and while not everyone agrees, there is someone for everyone.

And there already was a game without Scorpion. Mortal Kombat 3. Sub-Zero is the most re-occuring character, actually, then Scorpion.

Of the new characters in this game, I'd say the only ones that aren't too well received (in general) are Jaquie, Ferra/Torr, and maybe Kung Jin. Everyone else seems to be doing well enough.

You're actually stating opinion though, as much of our discussion is :). They absolutely could put more energy into 3D characters and bring them back. Would they do as well? We don't know since it hasn't happened, but I'd suspect not. And when I say 3D characters, I'm specifically referring to the non-arcade releases, so Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and onward. Mortal Kombat 4, they obviously have reused characters from there (Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya, etc.) as that's the only 3D release that seems to have done better with character reception.

I played Cyrax and Smoke a lot in Mortal Kombat 3, but I never felt they fit They were cool, but I liked the more classic Asian feel. Now though, they're considered staple, which shows that people can get used to characters if they're around enough.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Cool. Keep in mind though that not everyone even likes all the klassic characters. There are people who hate on Scorpion, Kitana, etc. and of course many more who love them.

And that's the cool thing about the series, there's lots of great characters, and some not so great characters, but everyone loves someone and while not everyone agrees, there is someone for everyone.

And there already was a game without Scorpion. Mortal Kombat 3. Sub-Zero is the most re-occuring character, actually, then Scorpion.

And when I say 3D characters, I'm specifically referring to the non-arcade releases, so Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and onward. Mortal Kombat 4, they obviously have reused characters from there (Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya, etc.) as that's the only 3D release that seems to have done better with character reception.
There will always be haters/people who are indifferent but when you mention MK to people (casuals), the majority will think of/name characters from 1-3. These are the characters that automatically spring into people's minds regarding the MK Brand. NRS shouldn't stop creating new characters and expanding the MK universe but "replacing" is not what they should be doing. This isn't a TV show with aging actors, these are bits of data, they are forever immortal.

And yes, but I recall reading Boon refer to that decision to leave out Scorpion as a "mistake" so, with that in mind, Scorpion is obviously going to be in every new game. Besides, he's the logo for the Studio!

To me, "3D games" includes all the games that could be played on the 3D plane. If I recall correctly,couldn't you sidestep in MK4? Anyways, aside from Quan Chi's inclusion, this game is an extremely loose reinterpretation of MK4 so of course they would include MK4 characters. I'm just saying I'm not entirely sure that it being better received is that reason they used the characters introduced from that game.

coolwhip

Noob
For sentimental value alone, MK9 is probably my favorite game of all time. I've spent more time playing it than any other game before or since. But the way its stock catapulted in the minds of some around here just because they were unsatisfied with aspects of Injustice and MKX is mind-boggling. "Would you play MKX if it weren't MK?"

Here's another question: Would you play a game with input bugs, meter drain glitches, terrrrrrrible balance, 100% combos, 40% unbreakables, and a character whose worst match-up is 6-4 (in his favor) if it weren't MK? MK9 was an awesome game, honestly, but I'm amazed how people talk about the input bug and Kabal as if they're minor issues (like: yeah, had it not been for these couple of things that game would be the tits). Some here have called MKX a bad game which is ludicrous. The reasoning is what? Chip damage and 50/50's? So...it's a fighting game?

There will always be haters/people who are indifferent but when you mention MK to people (casuals), the majority will think of/name characters from 1-3. These are the characters that automatically spring into people's minds regarding the MK Brand. NRS shouldn't stop creating new characters and expanding the MK universe but "replacing" is not what they should be doing. This isn't a TV show with aging actors, these are bits of data, they are forever immortal.

And yes, but I recall reading Boon refer to that decision to leave out Scorpion as a "mistake" so, with that in mind, Scorpion is obviously going to be in every new game. Besides, he's the logo for the Studio!

To me, "3D games" includes all the games that could be played on the 3D plane. If I recall correctly,couldn't you sidestep in MK4? Anyways, aside from Quan Chi's inclusion, this game is an extremely loose reinterpretation of MK4 so of course they would include MK4 characters. I'm just saying I'm not entirely sure that it being better received is that reason they used the characters introduced from that game.
Generally speaking, yes, but keep in mind what I said in the Comic forum: The developers have been working with the core cast for well over 20 years, I completely get that they want to mix things up a bit. And they've done it slowly here, only introducing 8 new people, and the characters they might be able to replace are still in the game.

So they're testing.

I can't recall, I barely played Mortal Kombat 4 as it wasn't my thing and I was getting into FPSes at the time. This game is a loose interpretation though because they do seem to want to distance themselves from those 3D games. And now we're 25 years further into the future, at a point where in the original timeline Armageddon had already happened, so I wouldn't expect the next game to be a loose Deadly Alliance remake.

Though of course, I could be wrong.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
I picked it up just because I enjoyed Injustice and wanted to try a new fighting game similar to it. It could have been a Gordon Ramsay/Muppets crossover fighting game for all I care.

Tweedy

Noob
For sentimental value alone, MK9 is probably my favorite game of all time. I've spent more time playing it than any other game before or since. But the way its stock catapulted in the minds of some around here just because they were unsatisfied with aspects of Injustice and MKX is mind-boggling. "Would you play MKX if it weren't MK?"

Here's another question: Would you play a game with input bugs, meter drain glitches, terrrrrrrible balance, 100% combos, 40% unbreakables, and a character whose worst match-up is 6-4 (in his favor) if it weren't MK? MK9 was an awesome game, honestly, but I'm amazed how people talk about the input bug and Kabal as if they're minor issues (like: yeah, had it not been for these couple of things that game would be the tits). Some here have called MKX a bad game which is ludicrous. The reasoning is what? Chip damage and 50/50's? So...it's a fighting game?
Nostalgia is very strong. I never played MK9, but when I watch it, it seems like such an awful game.

In the MMA gaming community, a lot of people view UFC Undipusted 2009 as the best game. In reality this is probably just because it was the first somewhat legitimate mma game to ever be released. If you go back and play it or watch it now, you'll need to be rushed to the emergency room.

Matix218

Get over here!
I would not be in the fgc if I was not first a fan of the mortal kombat franchise itself. I casually played many fighting games my whole life (mk being BY FAR my favorite fighting franchise) but until I got serious about it with MK9 I didn't know anything about how fg mechanics, strategy, frame data, etc worked.

I have the mk franchise to thank for making me an actual fighting game player because I would have never had the interest to dig deeper into fighting games had I not had thst love for the mk franchise.

I voted yes on the poll because I wouldn't even be on a competitive fgc site or making this post if I were not originally drawn in by the "mk" brand. But realistically knowing what I know now I probably would play the game regardless.

I know it is not the general consensus lately but I personally think that mkx is actually a very good fighting game.

Is it offense heavy when compared to its defensive options? Absolutely. Does that make it bad? Imo, NO.

For the most part there are many characters and variations that are viable in a tournament setting and there is no cyrax 1 hit kill or kabal with winning matchups against the entire cast.

As much as I loved mk9 (which I did) this game is an improvement on mk9 in my opinion. I also believe this game is different enough from mk9 to warrant still being able to go back and play mk9 which is cool

I don't know if it is rose colored glasses or reality but I do feel that the mk9 tournament scene was more hype and exciting in mk9 with all of the personalities and rivalries that we had. I think Bradybeing an emo mess and ralely competing and 16bit not being a part of the scene as well as the yomi centric concentration of players who used to be from various competing regions has also hurt the hype but as a plus the viewer and tournament attendee numbers (snd prize money) are both way up so its not like we are dying with the "less hype" tournament scene.

That's my 2 cents on this discussion

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
People knock MK9's balance a lot, and I agree it was imba, but I mained Scorp/Sub in that game and in even in match-ups that were not in my favor whatsoever, I rarely felt like I lost a game or set due to wrong guesses, but to wrong decisions. If that makes sense...

Hell, even in a Sub vs. Cyrax match, there was at least a chance to win if you played your hand right and played it patiently. And it was at least rewarding to outplay those match-ups and hype as hell to watch others pull it off too. In MKX, 'outplaying' just tends to feel as if I made the right choice between going for my overhead or low starter... not exactly rewarding.

Balance issues aside, the game was just damn fun, it was crack and it brought me into competitive fighting games. In MK9, win or loss, I was having fun. I don't find it hard to believe that there's people who definitely like MKX, but I feel few people LOVE the game. I have this nagging feeling that everyone who plays the game competitively/defends it wishes it was more than it is (could just be me projecting my own feelings), and that could be for a number of reasons already stated, such as the absence of notable personalities from the MK9 days.

I remember on an episode of KTP back in MK9 when 16 Bit and the guys were discussing what they wanted to see out of a sequel to MK9, and 16 Bit said he basically wanted as little change as possible from MK9. I took that as him saying he wanted a sequel that felt familiar with better balance. Well, MKX to me feels very different from MK9, and that may be a good or bad thing depending on you ask.

-edit-

I also want to point out, notable NRS/MK9 players such as Slips go on about how much of an improvement MKX is, yet we've seen less of them competitively (if at all) than we did in MK9, the supposedly inferior game. I understand that life gets in the way, and we don't always have the funds to travel, but to the "old school" MK9 players (the ones not already in YOMI) that truly feel this is the better game, where the hell are you? There's so many missing faces for this supposedly superior game, and even the ones that are familiar, in some cases, just don't seem to have the same spirit or come off as very inspired. Brady, for example, with all the supposed issues that Sub had in MK9, seemed way more passionate and inspired to compete back in those days. PL doesn't come off as someone who is 'into' the game that much either. CD Bros. are missing, etc. I could go on.
Make a list of the players you're talking about and I can tell u why or where they are

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
the ignorance of someone who has played fighting games for 25 years now. why cant people accept that i say mkx is not a good competitive fighting game because its too easy?
Because that's absolute bullshit. If that were true then there would be no skill gap, we would not get consistent top 8 placers and the two best players in our scene wouldn't be the two best players of this game.

It's fine to dislike the game, but the statements you're making are absurd. You would get bodied by any top player in this game and that would not be the case if it were "too easy" for you.