What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I guess it's all perspective. I just consider the people you describe as dumbasses.

In my eyes a typical TYM MK fanboy comes on here because he loves MK. He loves the lore and characters and aesthetics, all that stuff, which is great. Then he gets his ass beat and blames NRS for balance or patches or mechanics instead of looking inward. Because he doesn't really get fighting games too much, he just likes MK.

That's the typical TYM'er to me.
narr.. fanboys are like that, but they are also the most critical bunch of cry baby loosers on the planet. TYM has a large dose of the cynical asshat variety of Fanboy.
Sure but what you guys are describing is just TYM'ers, or just immature special snowflake gamers who need easy mode for their multiplayer experience and will complain till they get it.

Fanboyism is better embodied by the people who adamantly defend the abysmal NetCode and NRS, or people who defend stuff like Star Citizen's pyramid scheme scam just because they've sunk money into it, people who say Evolve had a fair business model, people who argue that XBox TOTALLY outclasses PS4, and consoles are just better than PC's at gaming in general, etc, etc

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/fanboyism

Wiktionary sums it up as blind devotion which is correct, which I would be just as happy interchangng wih the words "wilfully oblivious", "rejection of reality", "unreasonable justification", etc.
This is simply how the word is used nowadays. Anyone with any criticism of MKX isn't really a fanboy of it, unless they are a fanboy of the past games specifically and are complaining about every way that it's different to MK3 and living in the past, this still isn't really a fanboy more an overly critical nostalgia head.

Rest assured, they are all dumbasses, just of different varieties. Just thought I'd give a little piece on the terminology.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
My problem is the trend in the newest iteration of most franchises becoming more about being fun for spectators than fun to play. MKX, Xrd, SFV are all clearly headed in that direction and it's a bummer because I'm a zoner, not becuase it's "bad" or "wrong."
To be totally honest I would argue the contrary. I had way more fun watching MK9 tourneys than MKX, by far. There are very few close matches, way too many block strings and corner pressure, and zero fights against time. I think those are reasons why there are few viewers for the weeklies.

How do I put my charcter's variation on my profile? I see some people commenting and they have their charcter's variation right beneath their profile picture. (I'm kinda new here)

I got into mortal kombat simply because it was mortal kombat. The fatalities, the gore, the characters, it was awesome. I got really good at mk9 because I loved that. But there is no way in hell i'd put up with the dumb ass shit in that game if it wasn't mk. mk is a good gate way game to other competitive fighters out there though.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
To be totally honest I would argue the contrary. I had way more fun watching MK9 tourneys than MKX, by far. There are very few close matches, way too many block strings and corner pressure, and zero fights against time. I think those are reasons why there are few viewers for the weeklies.
Fewer viewers? Tournaments get over 3000 viewers on average. That's waaaaaay more than what MK9 ever pulled in.

There aren't as many weekly views because YOMI has consolidated a lot of the best players from each region and has dominated the game outside of SonicFox. Since they are ahead of the curve watching local matches in other regions makes it seem like you're watching college players practicing to become pros instead of watching pros train for their next big major.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
The netcode is the biggest shame. People wouldn't complain about the offense as much if the netcode wasn't so bad. Offline the game is amazing to me.
MKX is without a doubt the best NRS game of the "modern era." I enjoy watching it way more than MK9 (as the game went on), though I still actually enjoy playing MK9 Ermac more than anyone else in the last decade of MK. Sadly, I've long since dropped MKX due to poor netcode. I have no local sparring partners in Philly and almost every other game has way better online. =\

All of that said, MKX has had the best balance in all NRS games by far, and in a cast this insane and diverse, that's very impressive. Imagine how sick MK9 would've been if Stryker and Sindel and Kano had been competitively viable... almost everyone in MKX is, which is awesome.

I'll conclude with #mk2forlife

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
There aren't as many weekly views because YOMI has consolidated a lot of the best players from each region and has dominated the game outside of SonicFox. Since they are ahead of the curve watching local matches in other regions makes it seem like you're watching college players practicing to become pros instead of watching pros train for their next big major.
That's your opinion, not a fact. To me is about the match itself, not who plays it. If the matches will be corner pressure after guess after guess, then it's not appealing, imo.

omooba

fear the moobs
i feel adressed by your post, because i dont enjoy mkx anymore (and it was hard always). ive been a fan sínce mk1 so i guess im not a fanboy.

my passion for mk has survived everything. it survived the 3d era, which i even grew to like, it survived mk vs dc, hell it would even make me get enjoyment out of characters like kira or darrius. it also survived the terrible online of mk9.

but mkx... i was super-hyped until the full roster was revealed. there wasnt the generation cut theyve announced, and a bunch of characters i have Zero relation to (basically the three cassie clones), while there wasnt a single mk char in history i disliked before. also the whole Family Thing and the Hollywood Story doesnt fit mk imo.

then the game mechanics. the game is outright dumb. full screen jips, worse 50/50s than injustice and safe, half-Screen Combo starters with 360 degree hitboxes? its like baby toys. and nrs still make the same, not that hard to avoid mistake in balancing, which is "give one character all the good Tools". also the style System could be better by making it on the fly like in 3d mk.

then there was no fresh start for the netcode, they missed out on the online bracket Option. even the Music doesnt fit my taste for the first time.

Overall this game feels like a bad mk 9.5 to me.

i simply dont feel it anymore. this is not my mk anymore. nrs clearly have a differnet Vision from an amazing mk than i do, in almost every aspect, be it presentation, gameplay, whatever.

am i a fanboy now?
what cassie clones
there is definitely no clone in this game. every character fights completely differently
most of the stuff you complain about are either false or not true (i think).
the 50/50's are definitely not worse than injustice. injustice can make you guess out of 4 things cus of back blocking
i agree with netcode though. but this is still the best mk in my opinion. as soon as you accept that the 50/50's are here to stay it's really fun. besides let's not forget that kitana won evo and kung lao is still considered S tier by a lot of people

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
How do I put my charcter's variation on my profile? I see some people commenting and they have their charcter's variation right beneath their profile picture. (I'm kinda new here)
I think you should be able to click under your name or something and it should come up.

Slips

That's your opinion, not a fact. To me is about the match itself, not who plays it. If the matches will be corner pressure after guess after guess, then it's not appealing, imo.
The fact is there are way more viewers now than ever and way more entrants than ever. You can come up with whatever reasons you want as far as weeklies go, but pretending the scene isn't as entertaining as it used to be is a minority opinion based on the numbers.

Considering I was burnt out by the PS2 MKs not named Shaolin Monks, I got back into NRS games after there was a sharper focus on...you know...actually crafting a competitive fighter. I'm a fighting game fan first and foremost, and anything less than what they're doing now wouldn't secure my purchase or me even registering to this site.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
The fact is there are way more viewers now than ever and way more entrants than ever. You can come up with whatever reasons you want as far as weeklies go, but pretending the scene isn't as entertaining as it used to be is a minority opinion based on the numbers.
I would argue there are more viewers because the genre itself (fighting games) is more popular now and because the stream culture (watching games on twitch) is bigger than ever, not because the matches are "more entertaining". In my opinion, if MKX would have had MK9 mechanics and roster it would have way more viewers, but that is just speculation of course.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I'm fairly sure the answer would still be yes.

Fighting games are far and away my favourite genre, and I always love to try out new ones, so even without the MK title behind it, I reckon I would've still bought it.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
I love DC characters, that's what drew me to Injustice.
Always wanted a Flash video game and Injustice was pretty close to it.
gave mkx a try and I liked the new characters.
I would love to see what would NRS come up if they had to come up with a new IP.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Random side note, but I feel like one of the biggest problems with MKX is not actually a problem with MKX. It's just the perception.

Like @Slips said, it's that YOMI has gobbled up the majority of the great players in this country. As has been talked about at length in different threads, MK9's rivalries were one of the things that made the scene so spectacular. The same could be said of any era. For example, if Tekken hadn't had ATL vs STL vs Cali vs NYC (and hell, even NJ, DE and Philly had separate vibrant scenes at the time) it still would've been an incredible game, what but good is an incredible game without hype behind it?

MK9 had Cali vs Vegas vs ATL vs Texas vs GGA vs NYC and several others. Right now, it's pretty much partial GGA (16bit is gone, Real Life seems to be besting several others), Sonic Fox, and YOMI.

It's times like this that the lack of a hype man like 16Bit is sorely missed. He was just as godlike at creating hype as he was at being a Low Tier Hero.

Slips

I would argue there are more viewers because the genre itself (fighting games) are more popular now and because the stream culture (watching games on twitch) is bigger than ever, not because the matches are "more entertaining". In my opinion, if MKX would have had MK9 mechanics and roster it would have way more viewers, but that is just speculation of course.
Fair enough. Not sure what matches you've been watching, but there's been some pretty crazy money matches and tournament results so far. At least in my opinion.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah. For some reason mkx is the only game getting called on its bullshit. People like to jizz themselves over marvel vs capcom 2 when that game is full of shit.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I can't remember how exactly, but there is a thread in "New Member Introductions" about it. Check that sub-forum.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The fact you are willing to compare MKX to one of the 3D games and suggest it's better in some way just further exemplifies you're more attached to your first impressions and experiences with MK more than looking at MKX for what it is and how much of a massive improvement it is.
lol stop arguing w FuckBois

you know how I know you are?

Because I cant see who you are talking to

Kappa

Sure but what you guys are describing is just TYM'ers, or just immature special snowflake gamers who need easy mode for their multiplayer experience and will complain till they get it.

Fanboyism is better embodied by the people who adamantly defend the abysmal NetCode and NRS, or people who defend stuff like Star Citizen's pyramid scheme scam just because they've sunk money into it, people who say Evolve had a fair business model, people who argue that XBox TOTALLY outclasses PS4, and consoles are just better than PC's at gaming in general, etc, etc
No... think of say a new star trek film comes out and people go crazy because it has some Alien not press the correct button to activate the transporter. No one is ever more critical than a FanBoy. All you have to do is hang out in any fan circles... like for example TYM... The bitching and moaning is not TYM specific.. it is specific to fandom... any forum will be like this.

Fanboys are both.. the most critical and the most defensive. They are just fucking loosers and it is a loose loose situation for producers. You simply can not please them... ever.. So do not try. No matter what you do 1/2 will hate it.

Also, never quote wikipedia or wikiquote.. seriously.. those sites are NOT sources of information.

I GOT HANDS

No... think of say a new star trek film comes out and people go crazy because it has some Alien not press the correct button to activate the transporter. No one is ever more critical than a FanBoy. All you have to do is hang out in any fan circles... like for example TYM... The bitching and moaning is not TYM specific.. it is specific to fandom... any forum will be like this.

Fanboys are both.. the most critical and the most defensive. They are just fucking loosers and it is a loose loose situation for producers. You simply can not please them... ever.. So do not try. No matter what you do 1/2 will hate it.

Also, never quote wikipedia or wikiquote.. seriously.. those sites are NOT sources of information.
Ok I know these people exist, but this isn't how the word fanboy is used, you are just deciding that this is the meaning for the word. There is always people moaning as well as criticising something, the fanboys are the ones who will defend the game against legitimate criticism because they "love" the franchise so much they will blatantly ignore and disregard any criticism no matter how accurate or relevant it is, and often resort to insults immediately and use circular logic and technicalities to defend it - because they literally cannot use logic, as there is none supporting their arguments.

Fanboys are not the people constantly bitching and complaining about all the features they don't like - that's literally the opposite of these people. And it's not how the word is used.

Also I'm well aware that wikis are not a reliable source of information - but this isn't me submitting a thesis to my university professor, just showing you how the terminology is used, the wiki simply supported that. And it's not as though there is any sources out there more reliable on the matter anyway, it's a colloquialism, a wiki shows how the word is most commonly agreed upon to be used, so in this case it's actually a pretty good reference, but that's all beside the point anyway.

this is such a load of bullshit. Way to make yourself look like an idiot! rofl
Was just an example - an accurate one apparently. Why are you getting super defensive and insulting?

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ok I know these people exist, but this isn't how the word fanboy is used, you are just deciding that this is the meaning for the word. There is always people moaning as well as criticising something, the fanboys are the ones who will defend the game against legitimate criticism because they "love" the franchise so much they will blatantly ignore and disregard any criticism no matter how accurate or relevant it is, and often resort to insults immediately and use circular logic and technicalities to defend it - because they literally cannot use logic, as there is none supporting their arguments.

Fanboys are not the people constantly bitching and complaining about all the features they don't like - that's literally the opposite of these people. And it's not how the word is used.

Also I'm well aware that wikis are not a reliable source of information - but this isn't me submitting a thesis to my university professor, just showing you how the terminology is used, the wiki simply supported that.
100% this is how you use the term. Not sure how this is being confused.

Someone who says, "the MKX Netcode is fine, almost as good as Killer Instinct and Skullgirls" is a fanboy. Someone who says "I wish the game wasn't so offensive oriented. When will they buff defense?" is the opposite of a fanboy by being critical when elements don't "have" to be changed at all, they just want or prefer it be.

I GOT HANDS

100% this is how you use the term. Not sure how this is being confused.

Someone who says, "the MKX Netcode is fine, almost as good as Killer Instinct and Skullgirls" is a fanboy. Someone who says "I wish the game wasn't so offensive oriented. When will they buff defense?" is the opposite of a fanboy by being critical when elements don't "have" to be changed at all, they just want or prefer it be.
Exactly

If you were to talk about "those damn MK fanboys" you would NOT be referring to the people complaining that it's not up to scratch in any way, just doing that is the opposite of the characteristics people refer to with the word, you would instead be talking about the people who say "PC release was flawless, people are just hating on NRS, I've never experienced anything wrong in the NetCode, can you PROVE that it's bad, oh that proof you have just tells me you must have a bad internet connection the NetCode is flawless, why don't you appreciate the effort NRS put into giving us a game at all instead of daring to evaluate your purchases with any sort of critical objectivity, etc"

The word fanboy doesn't encompass both types of people, they are the absolutely the opposite. Complaining about everything wrong with NRS and more isn't "fanboying them" it's doing the opposite lol

Last edited: