What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Lots of irony in some of these statements. I play the game, but honestly do not think it is that great based on the fact that I have played other fighters competitively. I find it more likely that people who think it's "amazing" compare it to NRS only fighting games as opposed to the fighting game market the last X amount of years. But I know my complaints about the game come from its unusual design, which doesn't cater to everyone.

I'm sure some people love the game. No question. But it's a pretty narrow view to think it is because "they must be dumb" or "they don't know better" if someone doesn't love it, because someone who dislikes the game can say those same comments with a better argument.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I'd still play it if it was SF or DC. If it was a brand I'd never played before like "Skull Gear X" or some shit I'd probably pick it up but I'm not too sure if I'd still be playing it.

For me, I'm at the point in my life where free time is at a premium, so I'm not going to buy or play all the games, and I'm not even going to buy and play a lot of critically acclaimed games. My gaming time is precious, and I go with the select few titles and franchises I want/know.

I quite enjoy Mortal Kombat X, but I picked it up because it's Mortal Kombat. I passed on Injustice: Gods Among Us simply because I'm not a big DC guy. Had this game been a sequel to that, I would have passed.

Having said that, I do enjoy the Batman: Arkham series.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
The only real problem I have with this game is that it doesn't suit my personal playstyle very well, so I find it hard to play. I know this is still more my fault than the games though, but i still feel that way.

My actual criticism of this game is that I think every character has the same playstyle. Some characters just use plus on block ex special moves instead of plus on block special move cancels. Jax appears to be a special case with just good stagger pressure. It's a game full of Batman. Give me a Kenshi or Takeda or Goro or Kano or Jacqui or whoever that can really effectively win without constant pressure and I'll have more fun.

My problem is the trend in the newest iteration of most franchises becoming more about being fun for spectators than fun to play. MKX, Xrd, SFV are all clearly headed in that direction and it's a bummer because I'm a zoner, not becuase it's "bad" or "wrong."

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
There's a reason people don't like 3rd strike. Not enough Street Fighter OGs. Even though the game is still Street Fighter at its core. With only Chun Li / Ken / Ryu the only familiar faces in that game people treat it like the red headed stepchild no one wants.

Not to say it's the most hated but it still has the SF Brand.

Playstation All Stars was no Smash Bros either.

So brand definitely matters.

I wouldn't this game has a ton of issues on top of one of the worse netcodes I miss the skillfully played style of mk9 inj/mkx not a big fan of but hey it is what it is

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Most likely. Though I admit mk may be one of those games people play 'cause it's in now with the genre' but I've always played it during ups, downs etc that won't change.

Now cod, halo are totally branded and trendy but I personally never got the hype for them.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Most likely. Though I admit mk may be one of those games people play 'cause it's in now with the genre' but I've always played it during ups, downs etc that won't change.

Now cod, halo are totally branded and trendy but I personally never got the hype for them.

Halo used to be awesome.

Halo used to be awesome.
Yeah, I'm also not a fan of what 343 Industries has done with the franchise, both the games and expanded universe. I don't have an Xbox One, but I thought Halo 4 was a good game, not a great game, and the twin stick shooters were not my cup of tea. At all.

I am excited about Halo Wars 2 though.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
@Mikemetroid Really good question, man.

I have stopped playing MKX outside of getting drunk with friends due to the horrific netcode, but I do think that it's a solid game, and I genuinely enjoy watching it. That said, there was a much lesser chance that I would've picked it up if it wasnt MK-branded.

My younger years were spent playing MK 1-3 and SF2 (plus early Tekken, KI, Soul Edge, etc) in arcades. So I have a lot of franchise loyalty. But that doesn't stop me... I fucking LOVE playing BlazBlue even though I have zero loyalty towards the characters or plot or anything. I picked it up after the amazing Evo top 8. I just saw the game in action and said, wow, awesome gameplay, awesome mechanics, fuck yeah I'll play that! So a good game is a good game, period.

For what its worth, my friends and I still regularly play MK2 way more than any other MK game. (@DanCock)

I think I would actually like it more with dc characters.
When it came to igau I had a lot of fun going backwards into the rich history of in some characters cases 60+ years of rich history and there are all kinds of alternate universes and stories. It made it really easy to relate to and get to know your character.
Mk really only has about 25 years of history and the story is kind of... Meh at best. I've found it hard to really like a character in mkx without the inclusion of Shang, Lao just appeals to me since he was a childhood favorite and I happen to like his playstyle. Beyond that i don't think he's that interesting
I already had something similar half typed until I read this haha. I have a lot more attachment to DC than MK characters. I randomly played through story modes and that as a kid, but never really cared past that.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I have a connection with Sub-Zero, but honestly the MK universe is just alright to me. I don't like how the story turned out in story mode. I really love the DC universe, and I'm excited about what they're going to do with IGUA 2. I do think MKX is a Dope game though. All in all I spent more time playing IGUA than MK9.

omooba

fear the moobs
are we saying this isn't the best mk so far?
also i would play it regardless cus i lve this game. i don't hate the bullshit as much as most people, and i play offline so i don't have to worry about net code till summer. but that said if the netcode was fixed i would play this game a billion times more regardless of brand