What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't think any respectable guy wants to actually be that thirsty or creepy ever lol.
Pretty sure saying a chicks with beanies like mk is neither lol. I think a few people on here need to decifer the difference between a compliment and actually creepy or thirsty.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I dont know if the comics are cannon. There's stuff in there that straight up contradicts what happens in the story mode. The author himself said most of the early issues he wrote for nrs hadn't finished the story yet.

If the comics are cannon then NRS has lots of explaining to do.
Only the prequel to MKX is cannon. All of the issues after the prequel to MKX are not cannon.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
All mkx and tie in game comics are Canon. Even Shawn said in interviews as long as he keeps it Canon to what happened in mkx

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
I would pay for a muppets fighting game.

Fozzy main right here.
Dude, I feel ya. At one point I had a whole idea for a classic Looney Tunes fighting game mapped out in a series of word documents. There were Acme traps you could set for your opponent, some crazy physics mechanics you could use to extend or start combos, and other stuff like that to mimic the whole cartooney feel. The game I wrote down would probably insanely broken in execution, but I still maintain that the Muppets and Looney Tunes have some SERIOUS potential as a fighting game.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
The "wonder kids" are clearly the new characters meant to potentially replace existing characters; they're not lazy, they're potential new Jax's, Johnny's, Sonya's, Kenshi's, Scorpion's, Liu Kang's, Kung Lao's. Looking at it from that perspective, they make sense.

Ferra/Tor, Kotal, and D'Vorah are truly new characters.
I don't want to play a game that has King jin instead of Lao, takeda instead of kenshi, jacqui instead of jax and Cassie instead of Johnny/ Sonya. The idea for them was lazy and I don't see all 4 appearing in a title again, maybe 1 or 2. Also I forgot error black. He's kinda tight too
I would pay for a muppets fighting game.

Fozzy main right here.
was animal just a muppet babies character?

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
One thing I hate about this game are the fucking retardedly big hitboxes on some moves. My crossover jump punch should not get beat by sonyas s4. Jason has a bunch of moves like this too but I know it's not just limited to these two characters

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Goro's entire comic presence isn't canon. His ending and all his intro dialogues emphasize his neutrality, the Shokans going into obscurity as outcasts and their refusal to back Mileena or Kotal.
I think goro losing his arms is canon because at the end of sub zeros story arc, goro had just brought kenshi to daegon who he thought could bring his arms back.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Generally speaking, yes, but keep in mind what I said in the Comic forum: The developers have been working with the core cast for well over 20 years, I completely get that they want to mix things up a bit. And they've done it slowly here, only introducing 8 new people, and the characters they might be able to replace are still in the game.

So they're testing.

I can't recall, I barely played Mortal Kombat 4 as it wasn't my thing and I was getting into FPSes at the time. This game is a loose interpretation though because they do seem to want to distance themselves from those 3D games. And now we're 25 years further into the future, at a point where in the original timeline Armageddon had already happened, so I wouldn't expect the next game to be a loose Deadly Alliance remake.

Though of course, I could be wrong.
I understood what you were saying but I still don't think it's a good idea to completely "replace" the classic characters and not include them. They did this in the 3D era games as well and it was still the Klassics people got hype over. Anyways, at the end of the day, it understandable they want to move forward but they should at least make the new character worthwhile, especially for the sake of the story. Cassie is just Johnny + Sonya and Jacquie is Jax without the permanent new arms. Takeda, Kotal, Kung Jin and even that ho D'Vorah all bring something new so they don't feel like "replacements" (though, Erron and Ferra/Torr don't really bring anything at all despite being also unique to the series).
Also, yes, they have been working with the cast for 20 years but that's what a lot of people want; nostalgia sells and it's especially one that keeps The MK brand alive. Anyways, we will just have to see how well the first MK game with the majority of the roster made up of the post reboot characters does.

Well I didn't expect the next game to be anything like MKDA-MKD-MKA. The story has strayed quite dramatically (so much, in fact, a lot of the plot decisions seem to be done just for shock value). Plus, it's not like this game hasn't included elements from those three (Dark Raiden being the most obvious).

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
It's okay to like MK9. I do. It's not okay to pretend it was some kind of perfect fuckin' fighting game Nirvana.
It was not perfect but it is the only fighting game I have come back to. However, that was mainly due to the Co-Op Tag Kombat mode which meant that it was a game I could play forever with my friends and family. Without that feature my friends and family aren't interested much after 1 or 2 battles.

Espio

Kokomo
You have it backwards. Goro in MKX is non-canon. He does not appear in story mode.
No, I don't. He didn't appear in story mode like the rest of the shokans didn't appear in story mode because they chose not align with Mileena or Kotal and sat out of the civil war. They went to the trouble of explaining the shokans inaction and lack of story involvement this time unlike in previous sequels where they were not major story players. Goro and the Shokans going into obscurity doesn't contradict any of the canon that transpired in the actual in game story. You're more than welcome to embrace the comics as canon, but I'm going to embrace the actual in game bios/happenings as more legitimate.

You'd also have to wonder why if Kotal did that to Goro that the Shokans didn't rise up and back Mileena for disrespecting their prince on principle alone? There's just not much logic going on with how the shokans would react to that situation.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
As someone who STILL hasn't played the story, in what order should I do it? There is comics before the story right,mat which edition do I play the story to get it all chronologically

trufenix

bye felicia
You're more than welcome to embrace the comics as canon, but I'm going to embrace the game happenings as more legitimate.
Embrace what you want. You don't have to look very hard to find a quote from Kittelson that the comic is canon. I have no doubt the game trumps the comic in the case of conflicts, but story mode is the only canon the game offers and it makes no mention of Goro or the Shokan, ergo until story mode DLC or MKXI says otherwise, the Shokan were obliterated and Goro's the prince of cripples.

The contents of endings have not been canon since the birth of story / konquest mode.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
No, I don't. He didn't appear in story mode like the rest of the shokans didn't appear in story mode because they chose not align with Mileena or Kotal and sat out of the civil war. They went to the trouble of explaining the shokans inaction and lack of story involvement this time unlike in previous sequels where they were not major story players. Goro and the Shokans going into obscurity doesn't contradict any of the canon that transpired in the actual in game story. You're more than welcome to embrace the comics as canon, but I'm going to embrace the actual in game bios/happenings as more legitimate.

You'd also have to wonder why if Kotal did that to Goro that the Shokans didn't rise up and back Mileena for disrespecting their prince on principle alone? There's just not much logic going on with how the shokans would react to that situation.
The reason the shokan didn't back mileena is because Sonya killed Kintaro, Kotal incapacitated Goro and killed King Gorbak. Sheeva is the shokan Queen and last we saw goro he was dealing with the red dragon because daegon has the power to bring his arms back. The shokans tried to rise against Kotal but they lost.

I think this speaks more about the weak roster than anything else. If all the new characters were as amazing and unique as say D'Vorah or Kotal then people would request old characters less. Very few people would want a bunch of old characters back if the new characters were mostly amazing.

I remember perfectly when Kotal Kahn was announced and people realized he was replacing Shao Kahn, everyone "wanted Shao back, a playable Shao, he's way better, etc". Then Kotal quickly grew on everyone and you barely hear Shao Kahn even mentioned anymore. People have fully accepted Kotal Kahn as Shao Kahn's replacement.

Translate that to some of these "other" new characters and it's the opposite. Many people would prefer the Noob, Cyrax, Sindel's, etc of the world over a lot of the other new characters, so knowing these characters made the roster over popular favorites doesn't cut it because these characters themselves failed to connect to the audience.
I get what you're saying, but a few things to keep in mind:

- I still do not understand the concept of this being a "weak roster" for the reasons of my breakdown above. The vast majority are returning characters and popular characters.
- Of the new characters, eight spots on the roster, this game is their first appearance period. It's entirely possible that people may not like some or even all of them, and the only way to know is, coincidentally, to create a roster with them and see!
- No doubt NetherRealm is listening to feedback and critiques about the new characters, and keeping track of their use on the competitive scene. Just because they're in this game doesn't mean they'll make the next. Just like klassic characters.

Both Kotal and D'Vorah are the best received of the new, and that's cool. For all we know, those are the only two who'll return as playable. Or not. With the exception of Jacquie and Ferra/Torr, the others seem well received enough where they certainly could return. I'd be surprised if Cassie isn't back, honestly.

What I find funny about Kotal is that people seem to think as the Emperor he's as powerful as Shao Khan, even though he's clearly not. He's far, far less powerful, but a good leader and a cool character.

I don't want to play a game that has King jin instead of Lao, takeda instead of kenshi, jacqui instead of jax and Cassie instead of Johnny/ Sonya. The idea for them was lazy and I don't see all 4 appearing in a title again, maybe 1 or 2. Also I forgot error black. He's kinda tight too
And that could happen. We'll need to wait and see.

Anyways, at the end of the day, it understandable they want to move forward but they should at least make the new character worthwhile, especially for the sake of the story. Cassie is just Johnny + Sonya and Jacquie is Jax without the permanent new arms. Takeda, Kotal, Kung Jin and even that ho D'Vorah all bring something new so they don't feel like "replacements" (though, Erron and Ferra/Torr don't really bring anything at all despite being also unique to the series).
Of course, we'll need to see and our answer is likely years away. In the interim, I am enjoying the current roster.

In terms of design, I also get completely why they would make the above characters similar, even without the replacement concept.

Think about one of the prime challenges of game design today: Developers are expected to make sequels that push what the previous game did, both in terms of features and innovation. It's supposed to be a new, fresh experience, but people want it also to be exactly like that last game.

They want something new that's also the same.

That's crazy and there's no way that'll be satisfied, but obviously developers try. This, I think, is also a case like this. Characters that are similar, but different, yet not, but they are.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
I find people referring to Kotal as the "replacement" of Shao Kahn to be very odd. Not only are they completely different characters but isn't Kotal not blatantly evil? He's only the replacement in that he legitimately superseded him at the throne but, even then, he usurped the rightful heir Mileena first.

And who is D'Whorah the "replacement" of? She may have killed my main (I hope her revenge is glorious) but MK is full of traitorous femme fatales and she's simply another one.

But now I'm just being semantic AND off topic...

On topic: To reiterate my first post: the MK brand is very dear to me, fighting games are not.

I find people referring to Kotal as the "replacement" of Shao Kahn to be very odd. Not only are they completely different characters but isn't Kotal not blatantly evil? He's only the replacement in that he legitimately superseded him at the throne but, even then, he usurped the rightful heir Mileena first.

And who is D'Whorah the "replacement" of? She may have killed my main (I hope her revenge is glorious) but MK is full of traitorous femme fatales and she's simply another one.

But now I'm just being semantic AND off topic...

On topic: To reiterate my first post: the MK brand is very dear to me, fighting games are not.
For D'Vorah, I don't think she's a replacement for anyone and is a true new character. Same with Kotal Khan, Erron Black, Ferra/Tor. The Special Forces kids might be the "repleacement" characters.

Keep in mind this is all just speculation on my part and the part of others. I could be completely wrong and they actually aren't planning to replace anyone; we'll need to see.

I also agree, Kotal is the current Emperor, but he's not a replacement of Shao Khan. He's not a boss, and the character is actually far weaker than Shao. Kotal used to serve Shao, after all. Kotal seems to be neutral, and generally wants to act in the best interests of Outworld. In the game and comics, his decisions are based around that, but often, he makes poor decisions it seems.

He's still a very cool character with lots of potential.