What's new

Strategy - Commando I Think it's Time to Re-evaluate Commando

ando1184

Noob
Throww invul is an extremely common mechanic in fighting games. Azreal's 5D is an example of a throw invul attack in BlazBlue, Ky's 6K in GG is throw invul, Kage's BP is a VF example ETC.
Well I come from a Tekken and Soul Calibur background and and in those games throws normally have priority so that makes more sense to me. Even playing Street Fighter and MVC, or even KOF games I don't remember any throw immunity except supers and armored moves. These new anime fighters that are popping up left and right I don't play, nor have any familiarity with and VF it kind of makes sense since that game revolves around the characters having points of collision from their attacks over a general hitbox like in all the other fighters. So I can understand a character in VF moving their body out of grab range while doing an attack to make it whiff but on a 2 dimentional platform it shouldn't happen. Call me Old School then I guess, but character specific throw immunity off of a normal that has no armor or special properties what so ever still looks like poor programming and unintentional.

haketh

Noob
Call me Old School then I guess, but character specific throw immunity off of a normal that has no armor or special properties what so ever still looks like poor programming and unintentional.
Throw immunity has been in since games like Fatal Fury Special -_-

Street fighter gives higher priority to command grabs because they know how to make a grappler powerful.
Command throws still lose throw invul moves even in SF -_-

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I'm not quite sure what's going on about the current conversation, but I do absolutely hate when command throws get low profiled, or Armored throws trade, which is a net loss for Kano at best.

WATCHD0G

Noob
If he could tick throw off one or two more strings I think he would be super good...Right now the only one he can do this is off of F33 and that string is very unreliable, Erron has so many, and even sungod kotal has two.

Mixups with his choke and command grab off those would make him pretty strong IMO.
It pisses me off how erron has so many tick throw options when the actual grappler characters have a mere few

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
It pisses me off how erron has so many tick throw options when the actual grappler characters have a mere few
I think it must be taken into account that Almost none of Kano's tick setups(if any) can be backdashed out of with player timing. You can set the AI to backdash, but the AI is better than us mere mortals.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I just love Commando, it's so satisfying when you parry 2 Sub-Zero slides in a row. It's still cancer to play vs them pesky zoners though. It just sucks that some characters have moves that can't be parried (like Liu Kang's flying kick), this means the Kang doesn't have to fear the parries on wakeup. Sure we could just block that shit, but I'd rather get a parry to condition him not to wakeup

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Throw immunity has been in since games like Fatal Fury Special -_-

Command throws still lose throw invul moves even in SF -_-
Yeah, there are throw invulnerable moves but overall command grabs are higher priority and more of a threat. I ain't really too mad at a few throw invulnerable moves in this game. As long as it's consistent I'll adapt.

Also folmer, if you block and punish his wake-up it'll make him fear just as much as a parry.

are u guys really comparing throw immunity from other games where CMD grabs are a real threat to our command grabs that do slighty more damage than a normal throw?
Yeah trying to go for a command throw and kung lao doing b321 completely ignoring it is clearly a sign of brilliant game design. Jumping out or armoring out are just tooo complicated.

ando1184

Noob
are u guys really comparing throw immunity from other games where CMD grabs are a real threat to our command grabs that do slighty more damage than a normal throw?
Yeah trying to go for a command throw and kung lao doing b321 completely ignoring it is clearly a sign of brilliant game design. Jumping out or armoring out are just tooo complicated.
I'm saying I'm against it. if it was a universal mechanic targeted towards being a throw immune mechanic then yeah I can see it being ok. But random strings per character making a MB command throw whiff and being throw immune I have an issue with and think it needs to be fixed.

I'm saying I'm against it. if it was a universal mechanic targeted towards being a throw immune mechanic then yeah I can see it being ok. But random strings per character making a MB command throw whiff and being throw immune I have an issue with and think it needs to be fixed.
im im 99% sure they will say this was intended to not look incompetent just like with the breathning
hitboxes.

WATCHD0G

Noob
I just love Commando, it's so satisfying when you parry 2 Sub-Zero slides in a row. It's still cancer to play vs them pesky zoners though. It just sucks that some characters have moves that can't be parried (like Liu Kang's flying kick), this means the Kang doesn't have to fear the parries on wakeup. Sure we could just block that shit, but I'd rather get a parry to condition him not to wakeup
My god that would be so fucking satisfying

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
The issue is there shouldn't be any throw immunity to begin with. And throw immunity has always been a bug if it works like that. You cant say that's intentional, it looks ridiculous and out of place for it to happen like that. Name one other non-NRS game that intentionally put a throw immunity mechanic that wasn't a throw breaking button. How can you create a grapple character and then toss a universal weakness that's really poor programming? So you're saying that because I ex command throw and the opponent does a grounded multihitting string that advances towards me, my command throw "should" whiff and it's "accepted." So.....I should be ok with it? I think not sir, case in point, it needs to be fixed.
Case in point? What the hell are you going on about? Lol calm down, grab immunity is not "bad programming". Just because something doesn't work the way you want doesn't make something "bad programming". Grab immunity is a common thing in almost all fighting games to my knowledge, look at Grundy in Injustice for example.

But it looks like haketh answered your question better than I could've :p

ando1184

Noob
Case in point? What the hell are you going on about? Lol calm down, grab immunity is not "bad programming". Just because something doesn't work the way you want doesn't make something "bad programming". Grab immunity is a common thing in almost all fighting games to my knowledge, look at Grundy in Injustice for example.

But it looks like haketh answered your question better than I could've :p
Grundy is a bad example. If you read what I was "going on about" you'd see I asked for examples "not" from NRS games. Yes, I look at throw immunity in "This" game as bad programming because it's not a universal way of doing it. If it was (like b3's in injustice), then at least that would be more acceptable/believable. I'm glad you noticed that someone already commented on my opinion and you agree with them, but in the future please don't quote me because you feel left out of the conversation.

Youphemism

Grundy is a bad example. If you read what I was "going on about" you'd see I asked for examples "not" from NRS games. Yes, I look at throw immunity in "This" game as bad programming because it's not a universal way of doing it. If it was (like b3's in injustice), then at least that would be more acceptable/believable. I'm glad you noticed that someone already commented on my opinion and you agree with them, but in the future please don't quote me because you feel left out of the conversation.
How is Grundy a bad example? His grabs could be avoided with throw immune moves, including character specific ones, just like how Kanos command grabs can be avoided with throw immune moves whether universal or character specific. And if you read what I'd said you'd notice I said "Grab immunity is a common thing in almost all fighting games to my knowledge". There probably are universal throw immune moves that we might not have noticed yet, you never know, but I can see where you're coming from that it's annoying that different characters have different throw immune moves. Unfortunately that's just how the games work and have worked. And boy is that shit reasoning to come to, I replied because you replied to me. I thought that would be obvious but I also thought that about grab immunity in fighting games...

ando1184

Noob
How is Grundy a bad example? His grabs could be avoided with throw immune moves, including character specific ones, just like how Kanos command grabs can be avoided with throw immune moves whether universal or character specific. And if you read what I'd said you'd notice I said "Grab immunity is a common thing in almost all fighting games to my knowledge". There probably are universal throw immune moves that we might not have noticed yet, you never know, but I can see where you're coming from that it's annoying that different characters have different throw immune moves. Unfortunately that's just how the games work and have worked. And boy is that shit reasoning to come to, I replied because you replied to me. I thought that would be obvious but I also thought that about grab immunity in fighting games...
Lol I guess not obvious enough. I don't think Grundy was a good example because he's from another NRS game. I was asking for an out of the box answer and it was answered earlier on. On the subject of Grundy though, b3 could neutralize his attempt at command throwing you, even if it wasn't MB'd. Which was a universal tool amongst the entire cast. You're right in that we haven't seen anything universally yet due to the early lifespan we are still in. But my only gripe is he's a grappler that can't grapple defensively, which if we look at the history of grapple characters, he should be able to do if he spends the resources for it. This isn't a 3d game, so a character that literally has "hands on" the opponent but because the opponent lifted his leg like a dog gettin ready to piss on a fire hydrant, it shouldn't whiff on a 2d plane.

Youphemism

Lol I guess not obvious enough. I don't think Grundy was a good example because he's from another NRS game. I was asking for an out of the box answer and it was answered earlier on. On the subject of Grundy though, b3 could neutralize his attempt at command throwing you, even if it wasn't MB'd. Which was a universal tool amongst the entire cast. You're right in that we haven't seen anything universally yet due to the early lifespan we are still in. But my only gripe is he's a grappler that can't grapple defensively, which if we look at the history of grapple characters, he should be able to do if he spends the resources for it. This isn't a 3d game, so a character that literally has "hands on" the opponent but because the opponent lifted his leg like a dog gettin ready to piss on a fire hydrant, it shouldn't whiff on a 2d plane.
Yeah it's harder to say what universal tools the cast have that could be throw immune because nothing is really universal except throws lol. They could nerf the grab immunity on some stuff but I don't think there's been enough Commando representation in tournament nor enough times grabs have whiffed on streams or anything like that to warrant it being a top priority change unfortunately.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@ando1184 and I have a harder time grasping this because we come from Tekken. A game where if King :qtl:fp+:bp you, you are getting grabbed no if ands or buts unless you react in time to use a throw break. You aren't going to side step it, low profile it, or combo string it, you're getting grabbed if you try any of that.

I agree that's how it should be, because how else can a grappler truly be strong unless you uber buff them Bane style? I saw Grundy mentioned a few times. With Raven I could B23 on reaction to make his walking grab whiff and then full combo punish for 40%. Imo those things shouldn't be in the game. I should be grabbed out of that.

I dunno. I guess when you're so used to something working one way you want it in all the games you play. To me, the King/Dragonuv/Marduk etc command grab system of Tekken is perfect. I can't really understand the reasoning as to why strings poking command grabs and combo'ing you is a good thing lol.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
So if the command throws whiffing on certain things is intentional, then they should do more damage. It would make up for the whiffing as well as the lack of combos.

Youphemism

@ando1184 and I have a harder time grasping this because we come from Tekken. A game where if King :qtl:fp+:bp you, you are getting grabbed no if ands or buts unless you react in time to use a throw break. You aren't going to side step it, low profile it, or combo string it, you're getting grabbed if you try any of that.

I agree that's how it should be, because how else can a grappler truly be strong unless you uber buff them Bane style? I saw Grundy mentioned a few times. With Raven I could B23 on reaction to make his walking grab whiff and then full combo punish for 40%. Imo those things shouldn't be in the game. I should be grabbed out of that.

I dunno. I guess when you're so used to something working one way you want it in all the games you play. To me, the King/Dragonuv/Marduk etc command grab system of Tekken is perfect. I can't really understand the reasoning as to why strings poking command grabs and combo'ing you is a good thing lol.
I mean it's not like everything beats grabs, there's not THAT much that's throw immune (as far as I know), but I guess it's a way of keeping grabs balanced. I mean having a move that beats out/outprioritizes every other move in the game that isn't armoured? That would sound a little OP and no doubt people would want it nerfed.

As for the Grundy thing he could cancel WC and potentially punish you, so maybe what Kano needs is walking corpse :DOGE
So if the command throws whiffing on certain things is intentional, then they should do more damage. It would make up for the whiffing as well as the lack of combos.
They already do like 20% damage, JESUS MAN CALM DOWN. Then again command grabs that hit for more than your combos do...