What's new

Strategy - Commando I Think it's Time to Re-evaluate Commando

ando1184

Noob
Nice write up @KingHippo and thanks for the visual. Others have already pointed out that he still suffers from random hitbox issues that can really nullify this game though. Even your vid we see you do f4, choke then MB command grab only for it to whiff because KL is doing b312. The fact that that happens really messes with the player and match outcome regardless of how fundamentally strong they are with the character. His MB upball still whiffs vs certain characters and his f4 choke will whiff on hit sometimes as well. His 112 can still be crouch blocked, so until all these little buggy issues get fixed I think he will still suffer in the long run :(

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I get so many unjust command grab whiffs. His f4xxchoke definitely whiffs even when doing F4 pretty damn close. If you do it from max distance it seems to always whiff

FlappyDaniel

Yeah, sometimes. Idc what range it misses at I just want it consistent so I know when to go for it or not. Luckily it's safe so it's not a huge deal...but still.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Nice write up @KingHippo and thanks for the visual. Others have already pointed out that he still suffers from random hitbox issues that can really nullify this game though. Even your vid we see you do f4, choke then MB command grab only for it to whiff because KL is doing b312. The fact that that happens really messes with the player and match outcome regardless of how fundamentally strong they are with the character. His MB upball still whiffs vs certain characters and his f4 choke will whiff on hit sometimes as well. His 112 can still be crouch blocked, so until all these little buggy issues get fixed I think he will still suffer in the long run :(
B312 causing the grab to whiff is not a bug, it's throw immunity. Same with whatever string Tanya did in the video you made. F4 is messed up though in that it causes some stuff to whiff, seems to do that in both Commando and Cybernetic at least.

FlappyDaniel

Nice, I missed NLBC last night, though they usually do SFIV, did they just show MK finals or something? just looked, no past broadcast for last night? SPOOBY PLS ;__;

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
good post, insaynne just won Next Level Battle Circuit last night with commando kano, he plays it like a god damned robot.
Commando Kano won NLBC? Who was there? How did they lose? Why is he not playing Cutthroat? Does he even know about Cutthroat's Ex buff armor? So many questions...

Also @FlappyDaniel there was no NLBC stream.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
As a kung jin main, commando has been the toughest Kano variation for me to fight against. I get hit by those command grabs so much, need to level up against those :(

ando1184

Noob
B312 causing the grab to whiff is not a bug, it's throw immunity. Same with whatever string Tanya did in the video you made. F4 is messed up though in that it causes some stuff to whiff, seems to do that in both Commando and Cybernetic at least.
The issue is there shouldn't be any throw immunity to begin with. And throw immunity has always been a bug if it works like that. You cant say that's intentional, it looks ridiculous and out of place for it to happen like that. Name one other non-NRS game that intentionally put a throw immunity mechanic that wasn't a throw breaking button. How can you create a grapple character and then toss a universal weakness that's really poor programming? So you're saying that because I ex command throw and the opponent does a grounded multihitting string that advances towards me, my command throw "should" whiff and it's "accepted." So.....I should be ok with it? I think not sir, case in point, it needs to be fixed.

P.F.

Noob
The issue is there shouldn't be any throw immunity to begin with. And throw immunity has always been a bug if it works like that. You cant say that's intentional, it looks ridiculous and out of place for it to happen like that. Name one other non-NRS game that intentionally put a throw immunity mechanic that wasn't a throw breaking button. How can you create a grapple character and then toss a universal weakness that's really poor programming? So you're saying that because I ex command throw and the opponent does a grounded multihitting string that advances towards me, my command throw "should" whiff and it's "accepted." So.....I should be ok with it? I think not sir, case in point, it needs to be fixed.
This was actually the hardest thing for me to get used to coming from MK9. I was used to grabbing people in mid-combo with some characters, but apparently there is a weird immunity window you have after you've been hurt in MKX. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who was weirded out by this.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Commando Kano won NLBC? Who was there? How did they lose? Why is he not playing Cutthroat? Does he even know about Cutthroat's Ex buff armor? So many questions...

Also @FlappyDaniel there was no NLBC stream.
He used Commando against Darth Arma's erron and Finished up with Cybernetic at the final match. Seems like he's choosing Variations for match ups. Either way, I'm just glad to know he didn't give up Kano and took two Tournaments in a row.

ando1184

Noob
This was actually the hardest thing for me to get used to coming from MK9. I was used to grabbing people in mid-combo with some characters, but apparently there is a weird immunity window you have after you've been hurt in MKX. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who was weirded out by this.
But that's the issue with this community, they just let stuff like this slide. This is clearly a bug in the system and for it to now survive it's 3rd game is a huge shortcoming. This is something that should be etched out after being noticed the first time. Grundy suffered a great deal in injustice because of this and now Kano, but it's supposed to be OK? This is why NRS won't get respect as developers until they learn how to fix issues like this on a consistent scale. They are actually listening to us, so instead of being ok with a flawed mechanic, we should speak up and tell them not to allow this in this or any other future game.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
That was in mk9 too. I believe the cutoff is +27 or so, but if you're at any more frame advantage, your grab will whiff. What I usually do instead is just run cancel into throw to burn some frames.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
What were the latest patch changes to commando kano? And whats the difference between blocking choke crouching and standing?

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
What were the latest patch changes to commando kano? And whats the difference between blocking choke crouching and standing?
The difference should be nothing. What happens though is that there are plenty of situations where choke whiffs despite the opponent blocking, albeit crouched

As for patch notes, just choke being safe, and a busted universal up ball

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Commando players want grab mechanics changed so that you can tick grab someone whilst still in stagger or blockstun?

LEGEND

YES!
The difference should be nothing
There is an issue (Idk if I'd call it a bug) where if you block something while ducking you can't reversal with a normal (or jump) for around 3 extra frames.

So choke should be almost neutral if you block it ducking

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
There is an issue (Idk if I'd call it a bug) where if you block something while ducking you can't reversal with a normal (or jump) for around 3 extra frames.

So choke should be almost neutral if you block it ducking
If only us Kano players could exploit this reliably.

Though I guess that does make Kano universally safer, with his general lack of an overhead