What's new

How strictly should TO's enforce tournament rules? And Jim's version of events from Frosty Faustings

Justice

Noob
No worries. I'm a Superman main. We both wear similar glasses so maybe thats why you confused me. :p
In my defence, it was my first American tourney and you all look the same to us Canukians :REO

Gladly:

This is funny you guys are trying to paint me out like a scumbag.

The problem here is you all have different rules in different scenes. I care not to keep track of.

Midwest does "double random" then keep the same stage if someone loses.

California does double random then loser picks stage or character or something.

East Coast does double random then double random again regardless.

It doesn't matter what the stage is. Also there is no point for me to pick my character then button check I am just trying to get the button check over cause it is mad tedious especially having to make sure vibration is cut off.

In other normal (Keyword: Normal) fighting game communities they do the same shit. Whichever char the damn cursor is on they just press the button to get into the match to check buttons. But no you guys want to know what char someone is gonna use and whatever. Like you want me to tell you the strategy I am going to use and how I am going to start the match? You want a manual? Want me to hold your hand and pour you a glass of milk. Sir would you like me to tuck you in at night? What else would you like? How about I get you some cheese with your wine.

Don't get mad at me cause you are salty you lost.

Another note: Jim your prep talk or whatever with 16bit that sounds good and all but if you really feel like you would have won we can run back the match up for $$. Same with Emperor Max.

Shout outs to Jim for giving his life story so people will sympathize with him lol.

Funny story. Emperor Max who comes on here and calls me a scumbag asks me after the tournament "who should I pick to take away banes match ups" and I actually give some real advice to help the guy out, but I am a scumbag. I beat you and then I gave you advice. Yea I am soo bad.

Whatever both of you can play me for money with the same characters in the same conditions. You can also pick the stage.

I'm sorry that I came to your scene and bodied you while you all play this game constantly offline within your crew and I play with barely anyone in crappy online conditions or practice mode while I am cycling through the other 5-6 games that I am practicing.

I am sure you all are also mad that PPJ went to NEC and beat people with the unfamiliar stuff and then got his back blown out at a tournament he was guaranteed top 3.

Max do you think us being on TheMyscira would have changed the outcome? We can gladly run it back on themyscira.

I like how now people are making excuses for me beating them and getting backed up/praised, but if I say something like how for example the stream monitor had lag because of the hook ups used to stream it and show it on 3 different tv's. Also how one of the floor tv's set up was laggy too. Oh no but if I say something I am complaining. But Jim and Max nope they aren't complaining they are being reasonable.

Final Statement: I zipped you all up and sent you back to GGA in body bags.

Should've said something at the tournament I would've gladly ran the matches back
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with this entire post EXCEPT to add one thing: once the match has started (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) nothing stops it outside of a win/loss or "Act of God" (system failure, power outage, faulty gear, etc.) My only suggestion here is that if vibration is that big of an issue to you, then as soon as you sit down, back out to the menu and check it that way (or play on stick which makes vibration moot).

As far as the stage select for button checks..... seriously? This is what we're arguing about now? Even in Injustice stages don't mean shit to a button check other than having interactibles available to check that button. Picking your main for button checks matters? I can see how that point could be debatable but for me it means nothing since I'm a loyalist. Every time I sit down, my opponent already knows I'm picking Sonya or Catwoman so who I button check with is irrelevant. And let's face it, you aren't gonna learn your opponent's tech and strategies from a button check. I will say this tho, if my opponent has to resort to tricks like backing out because he doesn't like a 50/50 result, I take it as an ego boost because it means that he's scared and trying to get every teeny advantage he can over me. :cool:

trufenix

bye felicia
As far as the stage select for button checks..... seriously?
The point is not the complaint about button check stage selects. The point is that there's an opportunity for exploit in the double random system, and this is an example. Even if PL's intent wasn't malicious, the fact remains that someone's could be, and in the interest of fairness we need to address this before it blows a match.

A lot of distracting rhetoric has come up in this thread, but Jim's point is succinct. PLs actions were DQ worthy, it DID have an effect on his opponent, and TOs and all players need to be on the same page about enforcement.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I think we should hire snipers to shoot out controllers in case of accidental pause. Deathstroke outfits for Injustice tourneys, Raiden outfits (with lightning bolt shaped guns) for MK

Justice

Noob
The point is not the complaint about button check stage selects. The point is that there's an opportunity for exploit in the double random system, and this is an example. Even if PL's intent wasn't malicious, the fact remains that someone's could be, and in the interest of fairness we need to address this before it blows a match.

A lot of distracting rhetoric has come up in this thread, but Jim's point is succinct. PLs actions were DQ worthy, it DID have an effect on his opponent, and TOs and all players need to be on the same page about enforcement.
Fair enough. Playing devil's advocate for a second, one would think that it would not be a large issue based on the assumption that a tourney-level player has studied all of the stages along with their characters. Having said that, I can see the potential for out-of-game mind games with this since both players are mentally preparing when they see the stage selected only to have that preparation wasted by a back out.

That for me is the main point. Regardless of his intentions, PL did pause mid-match and received the appropriate punishment. End of story.

To clarify something, all of those splits to the TVs happen from my computer's video card, not the console feed. The console goes into one lagless professional-grade splitter that every streamer ever uses, into a tournament standard Asus monitor. Lag was in your head.

Carry on with the regularly scheduled drama.
Lag was in my head and I guess the marvel players JDM and the other guy he was playing against head as well because they both agreed with me there was something wrong with the set up.

I don't feel like quoting 16bit but I saw it earlier:

I was not messaging you and slips all damn day. I talked to you guys hella earlier in the day and hit you both up close to like 8 o clock. Also we never agreed on a time to get on so don't go around blowing steam out your ass as you usually do. There was never a time agreed upon otherwise I would've prepared for the time.

You expect me to wait around until you guys get online at like 11 pm my time which is 10 pm your time and that is when slips messaged me cause I saw the message when I woke up. You guys want to get on super late and talk for 3-4 hours. Yea ok. Yea I did ask to reschedule like 2 weeks ago but since then I said fuck it. So cut your crap.

Perfect "button check" Legend blessing you all with them low shots.
I think GGA is mad I came to their house and took a shit in their bed then smeared it into their pillows.

All that constant offline experience with one another. Still not enough even on laggy monitors damnnnn.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I don't feel like quoting 16bit but I saw it earlier:

I was not messaging you and slips all damn day. I talked to you guys hella earlier in the day and hit you both up close to like 8 o clock. Also we never agreed on a time to get on so don't go around blowing steam out your ass as you usually do. There was never a time agreed upon otherwise I would've prepared for the time.

You expect me to wait around until you guys get online at like 11 pm my time which is 10 pm your time and that is when slips messaged me cause I saw the message when I woke up. You guys want to get on super late and talk for 3-4 hours. Yea ok. Yea I did ask to reschedule like 2 weeks ago but since then I said fuck it. So cut your crap.

LOL don't worry you'll never have to deal with KTP rescheduling again.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I haven't been a part of this community very long but it sucks to see all this conflict amongst players I've grown to respect. Seems to me ego and pride should be thrown aside and people just need to talk it out to try and get along. Drama, blow ups and pop offs I guess keep things interesting but topics/threads seem to get so personal so fast. Not everyone is meant to get along with one another but where is this hate coming from?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I think GGA is mad I came to their house and took a shit in their bed then smeared it into their pillows.

All that constant offline experience with one another. Still not enough even on laggy monitors damnnnn.
Ive stayed out of this thread cause i wasnt there and it sounds like the right thing was done anyway. But dude Carl i have the facebook messages saved dont try and blow us up for your own blunder.

I messaged you that day if you were ready to do the show. You said 'yes' and asked what time. I said between 10 -11pm and you said ok.

We all got on at 10pm and you werent online for either Skype or facebook. I sent you a FB message at 10:40pm asking if you were coming. No response. I then sent you a text at 10:57pm asking where you were. No response. It wasnt until after 3am that i got a message from you which i was sound asleep by then.

Maybe there was a mixup with the time difference since your an hour ahead of us. But even still, we got online at 10pm our time which is 11pm your time and still fallswithin the range you agreed

Slips

Cant edit my post cause posting from my phone is an absolue nightmare. But another point i wanted to make is that if you felt we were late, then simply mesaage us like we did you. Something like that is easily cleared up. And if the time was too 'ungodly' then why did you agree to it?

Its one thing to stand us up. But to then lie on top of it to paint us as the bad guys is some bullshit man. I never brought up the ordeal again cause i respecr you so much as a player. And i didnt think you were out of line with how you reacted to this here thread. But if your going to call me out about why you didnt make it onto ktp and try and throw me under the bus i have no choice but to put you on blast.

We did not ignore your pleas to be on the show until after you shafted us. You drew first blood. And i have the evidence to prove it. Sounds like your the one trying to paint yourself as the victim hoping for sympathy now.

Cant edit my post cause posting from my phone is an absolue nightmare. But another point i wanted to make is that if you felt we were late, then simply mesaage us like we did you. Something like that is easily cleared up. And if the time was too 'ungodly' then why did you agree to it?

Its one thing to stand us up. But to then lie on top of it to paint us as the bad guys is some bullshit man. I never brought up the ordeal again cause i respecr you so much as a player. And i didnt think you were out of line with how you reacted to this here thread. But if your going to call me out about why you didnt make it onto ktp and try and throw me under the bus i have no choice but to put you on blast.

We did not ignore your pleas to be on the show until after you shafted us. You drew first blood. And i have the evidence to prove it. Sounds like your the one trying to paint yourself as the victim hoping for sympathy now.
How am I trying to paint myself like the victim? I went back and read the messages. I guess I did agree to it I forgot. However the time difference did throw me off. 10-11 to you is 11-12 for me. I was up still around 8-9 pm and I dozed off which is why I messaged you as soon as I woke up. I did hit you and 16bit up via cell phone but got absolutely nothing from either. I was falling asleep wondering when we would get on. We talked earlier that day but it was getting late and I was getting tired which is why I tried to get in touch with both of you but got no response.

You sent a text at 10:57pm and thats pretty much 12 am for me man lol. I was knocked out.

Where in the hell did KTP even come into the picture for this conversation. This is funny.

coolwhip

Noob
The way this thread developed is exactly why I have an issue with the way the OP was phrased. It aims to raise an important and very legitimate question, but all the background and history talk about Jim vs. PL, and the undertones of shady tactics by the latter turned it into everyone chiming in with accusations of cheating (including changing characters for button checks, which was referred to in the OP, and has nothing to do with the question at hand... I mean come on, is that a big deal now? Though I agree with the Han rules, they are the best). Now it's turned into discussions of PL's KTP no-show, for some odd reason, and nobody is discussing the original question, which in fairness, everyone seems to be in agreement about (TO decides).

I'm really not siding with PL but this was designed to be a blow-up, albeit unintentionally.

coolwhip

Noob

...it did have an effect on his opponent...it gave him the match. That's a pretty nice effect.

Slips

How am I trying to paint myself like the victim? I went back and read the messages. I guess I did agree to it I forgot. However the time difference did throw me off. 10-11 to you is 11-12 for me. I was up still around 8-9 pm and I dozed off which is why I messaged you as soon as I woke up. I did hit you and 16bit up via cell phone but got absolutely nothing from either. I was falling asleep wondering when we would get on. We talked earlier that day but it was getting late and I was getting tired which is why I tried to get in touch with both of you but got no response.

You sent a text at 10:57pm and thats pretty much 12 am for me man lol. I was knocked out.

Where in the hell did KTP even come into the picture for this conversation. This is funny.
Well neither me nor 16 Bit got anything on our cell phones that night. Maybe contact your cell phone provider for better service.Or you couldve skyped us or sent a message via facebook.

Cant believe something this petty is being brought a public firum. Feels like an argument id have with a g/f. Apologies to everyone reading this pathetic dribble.

almost everybody in this thread didnt get the point of this thread, the thread is about the TO's, the pl vs jim situation is just an example, but somehow PL took offense to that and some other PL haters took their chance to shit on him again. Also Perfect Legend I don't think 16 bit, slips and k7 scheduled you for ktp just to ignore your phone calls, you just said you forgot the time/made a mistake about the time, it happens. This is nothing to start a beef over as grown man, you guys have always had each others backs so you guys should keep doing that.

trufenix

bye felicia
Fair enough. Playing devil's advocate for a second, one would think that it would not be a large issue based on the assumption that a tourney-level player has studied all of the stages along with their characters. Having said that, I can see the potential for out-of-game mind games with this since both players are mentally preparing when they see the stage selected only to have that preparation wasted by a back out.
I'm not sure how that's devil's advocate. There is no preparation for a random scenario with 18 possible outcomes. Actual devil's advocate would be the reality that a re-roll could potentially produce results that are worse for you. You could potentially trade two okay stages for your character for two shit stages. And you could make the same argument for leaving a puddle of water on the floor in a basketball game or putting stickem on a football. Maybe it works out for you, maybe it doesn't, but it still violate the rules, fair field, fair ball.

That for me is the main point. Regardless of his intentions, PL did pause mid-match and received the appropriate punishment. End of story.
But that isn't Jim's point. Jim's point was that PL, someone who knows better, broke a well-known rule without abandon and instead of it being resolved instantly and succinctly, discussion and confusion had to be weighed on him (the player). The discussion that flowered is that should PLs later actions involving stage select, which didn't break rules because none were necessarily set, be considered in the future.

Take Carl, Bit, Jim and the whole Top 8 out of the equation. Should any player at any tourney be allowed to decide (without the other guys consent, at least) that he would like to see two more stages cause these aren't good enough? That's the point.

Lol. The reason he asked Jim what he wanted to do cause someone would pause in other games and they leave the decision up to the guy to take the round or not.

Jim just didn't like making the decision himself and wanted it to be made for him. Somehow causing him mental anguish.

Slips as far as missing KTP. Looks like I forgot the time. Def didn't purposely miss the show. If you guys didn't get my calls or messages then well neither of our faults. I didn't even bring up KTP in this thread.