What's new

How strictly should TO's enforce tournament rules? And Jim's version of events from Frosty Faustings

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I want to tell a little about myself and the story from yesterday's Frosty Fostings from my perspective but if you don't care about that skip everything below and just answer these questions:

How strictly do you feel a tournament organizer/bracket runner should enforce the rules? If there is a pause should it be talked out by the players or just given to the non-pauser by default no questions? Should hype matter? After all who would want to see a tournament end in last match of grand finals because of a controller instead of the skill of the players? What about stage select rules, if the other player breaks them do you yell for a TO or just say fuck it and play it out? Looking for everyone's honest opinion's on this.

Now for the back story of this post for those that care to read it. I want to tell a bit about myself so people know where I'm coming from. I'm a local Chicago NRS player that first got involved in the scene at UFGT7. I've always loved fighting games and Mortal Kombat has always been my favorite but I'd never played more than casually. I started watching tournaments for all fighting games in 2009 or so and was super excited to hear MK9 would have tournaments too. I signed up for UFGT7 and couldn't wait for it.

When I got there I quickly found out my first opponent was EMP Perfect Legend who'd just won Power Up 2011. I didn't take a round off him, but still did better than I'd feared. I met GGA MOE30W and GGA Jeremiah and GGA 16 Bit there and quickly became a regular at GGA. I loved MK9 but I'm not a great fighting game player and I didn't have a ton of time to practice besides when I went to GGA once a week or less.

Fast forward to CoCo last year. 16bit GGA HAN GGA soonk are planning on going to CoCo. I decide what the hell I'll go too. Get there to find out my first opponent is Perfect Legend again. I was toying with Kenshi instead of my main, Freddy and he absolutely destroys me free. Though I doubt Freddy would have done much better.

Not too long after this I started working as QA at NetherRealm Studios with 16bit and GGA Slips. Unfortunately I can't say much of anything about working there because of the NDA but it is a great place to work and I can assure any of you that the people there give their all and then some to make the best games they can.

Because of this Injustice is a game that really means something to me. I was on the inside and know I personally sacrificed a lot to make this a great game. I went weeks without seeing my girlfriend, went days and days with only getting 4 hours of sleep just to wake up and come back into work.

Fast forward to Ghost Battle Series. With Injustice having a great revival in Chicago I decided to dedicate myself to improving my game and overall tournament skills. I really started to break down match ups, constantly asked 16bit Slips and ImNewbieSauce for tips or to run different match ups or to tell me where they see weakness in my game. I've started to really improve but I'm not a great player and I need to work really hard to just make waves.

So we arrive at Frosty Faustings. For the third time in tournament I find out my first opponent is Perfect Legend. When my match is called I walk to my station but before we start 16 bit calls me over. He knows the history, he knows I get nervous in tournament in a way I don't in casuals. He tells me, don't let his name or past wins intimidate me. He tells me I've put in the work and I can do it. His speech helps a ton, I'm not nervous when I sit down.

I ask if he wants a button a check, he says yes. I pick Flash (my main) he picks Martian Manhunter. We double random the stage. I check, he checks. We both say we're ready. He goes to player select. I thought we were going to just rematch and play like we do at GGA. However I don't know if those rules are the same here so I say nothing.

He picks Batman and I pick Flash. 3 seconds in the match I hit him with back 22 and do a 50+% combo. We go back and forth and he takes my first bar while having about 10-20% health himself. I'm not nervous, I feel very strong I can take this. It would be my first out of town big scalp, and I'm excited.

Then the Xbox menu pops on the screen. I look around quickly to see if someone has another controller. I'm pissed. Then I see Perfect Legend is scrolling through the options. I say "What the hell are you doing?" He says "My controller vibration is on, I need to shut it off." 16 bit asks "Who paused?" I say he did. 16 bit yells "Jim you take that shit!" I turn to Flying V who is running the bracket. He asks who paused and when he finds out asks me what I want to do.

I've said this previously and feel very strongly about this. This call should NEVER be in a player's hands. Do you look like a pussy that can't handle a small pause or do you take any win you can? I feel that if you are going to have leniency on rules the TO should make that call, not either player. You run a tournament, you be the bad guy.

So I say to Flying V, "I'm not making the call, you do it." If he had said "Play it out" at that point I would have. While all this is happening Perfect Legend has now accidentally exited the game. When I see this I say "Alright, I'm fucking taking it." When Flying V sees the game has been exited he too says "I'm giving it to him, you exited the game."

When we finally go back into it Perfect Legend destroys me two matches in a row, free. I was frustrated, distracted and back to the shitty mindset from before the match. I did my best to recover, but it didn't work. Not saying I would have won without that but it really didn't help. This is why I feel the TO needs to be the bad guy (or good guy) and do it right away. I'm not calling out Flying V, he did what everyone in the fighting game scene does. I just want it to change going forward. Imagine how different it would be if he said "Just unpause it and play it out now." Perfect Legend says "I want to turn off vibration." He says "Do it after this match." We're done, and we play it out. Or he says "Too bad, you paused, you lose, next match." We're done and we move on.

My personal opinion is that the rules should be strict even at the expense of hype. This is going back to UFGT7 but I was always mad that Keits didn't give the match to Michelangelo when Justin Wong paused in top 8. May not be a hype but I hate seeing players be put in that position. You'd never see a football game where the ref asks each coach to figure out what they want to do.

So what does everyone think. Should I have said "ok we'll play it out", should I have said I'd take it right away. What about if the game hadn't exited, would you feel differently? I just want an open discussion on everything the tournament organizers should and shouldn't do with game rules.

Mods, I put this here because it was from an Injustice match but move if you need to.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I agree that the TO should make the call to take a game in those situations, unless the other player is insistent about continuing or something. When you leave it up to the player it can be sort of a lose-lose situation because if you continue, you could lose, and if you take the game you can look like you're taking advantage of it for a free win.

It gets more difficult when one player has a bigger life lead. In your situation it was pretty even, but if PL had like a bar and half advantage it would've looked bad to take a game (even if it shouldn't).

But I've been thinking about this thing for a while -

I ask if he wants a button a check, he says yes. I pick Flash (my main) he picks Martian Manhunter. We double random the stage. I check, he checks. We both say we're ready. He goes to player select. I thought we were going to just rematch and play like we do at GGA. However I don't know if those rules are the same here so I say nothing.
I'm worried about people choosing to re-select after button checks or rematch. If you don't like the stage you can go back to character select and people generally don't say anything. So it could be a problem, but idk.

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
Something kind of similar happened to me in a AE 2012 tournament I attended in North Carolina about a yr ago. We were in Grand Finals & I had already reset the bracket. I go on to take a 1-0 lead at this point which is when we finally realized we were playing AE not AE 2012.

At this point we updated the game & the choice was up to me to either keep my 1-0 lead or start from scratch. I ended up starting from scratch because I'm the kinda guy who doesn't take shortcuts on any type of competition. It turned out I lost the tournament 3-2 & it still makes me wonder if I made the right choice. If I kept that lead I would have won the tournament 3-1 instead of losing 3-2.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's a tricky issue. I can see both sides of it.. The other side is that if you have a really intense match between both players, and someone really does accidentally pause the match, that it's possible that neither player wants a DQ and the players would be happiest just playing it out (this seems to happen at least once at every tournament). But it's still one player's right to have the choice to accept the DQ. So that's why the TOs give them the option.

What happened to you sounds like it's pretty scummy, and I sympathize with you. But I still think it's better in the long run for the guys playing to have the choice; and you have to be prepared to man up, make the call, and stand on it.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
This post would make sense if you didn't get the 1st game...but you did...so...
No I didn't. The score was 2-1 PL because I was given the one he paused. He won both times we played a complete match.

I'm worried about people choosing to re-select after button checks or rematch. If you don't like the stage you can go back to character select and people generally don't say anything. So it could be a problem, but idk.
For clarification the rule I was talking about at GGA is that if you want a button check you must declare it before character select, choose the characters you are going with, double random the stage, and then rematch after the button check. This is what I thought Perfect Legend was doing. I don't know if he changed his mind or not but he was the second player and he did do double random stage select when we started the button check.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
In tournaments for Magic the Gathering and Yugioh, the TO is responsible for making those calls. I'm sure in any other competitive format it applies. I agree with Jim on this.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I agree that the TO should make the call to take a game in those situations, unless the other player is insistent about continuing or something. When you leave it up to the player it can be sort of a lose-lose situation because if you continue, you could lose, and if you take the game you can look like you're taking advantage of it for a free win.

It gets more difficult when one player has a bigger life lead. In your situation it was pretty even, but if PL had like a bar and half advantage it would've looked bad to take a game (even if it shouldn't).

But I've been thinking about this thing for a while -

I agree, its a big problem in a game like this where stage can play a vital role in the match. We try to avoid this exact situation at our GBS locals here by enforcing the stage you get by double random the first time is the one you start on (just hit restart match)- and if you want an in-game button check, you MUST declare it before you even see the second stage of the double random, so none of these crappy situations can happen; no backing out, no calling for a button check after you see the stage the double random landed on. There NEEDS to be a community standard so people don't get screwed over, intentionally or not.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Wouldn't he have noticed his controller was vibrating during the button check?

On topic, I don't think the decision should be made by anyone. It should be in the ruleset that if a pause occurs during the pausing players first life bar, he has to forfeit the round. Unpaused player will get to deplete paused players life bar and build meter in the process. Its the advantage he gets for allowing the match to continue. Play will resume at the start of the next round. If it occurs anytime during the second life bar its an automatic loss. If more than one pause occurs during the set by the same player, he loses the set.

The problem lies that someone will always have to make a decision when a pause happens. Does the unpaused player stop to find the TO and have him enforce the rule? Most of time people don't want to waste time doing that and the players try to settle it themselves, which can lead to awkward situations. For instance I have had people at majors argue that the losing player can select the stage. When this happens and finding the TO isn't possible I just give in cause I don't want to waste my energy.

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
No I didn't. The score was 2-1 PL because I was given the one he paused. He won both times we played a complete match.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post, but didn't the TO give you the first game (the one he paused)? So what's the problem?

EDIT: To be clear, I completely agree that it sucks if it were left up to the player to decide, since you either look like an asshole or you risk losing your concentration and losing the match. But in this case, if I understand correctly, the TO made the right call and gave you the match, right?

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Wouldn't he have noticed his controller was vibrating during the button check?
if you button check and don't get hit...... then no. It has happened to me as well.

I can't believe there is even debate. This has been a rule since I can't remember when. People just try to weasel out of it by calling the others "manhood" into question

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Ain't that what the TO's are there for? I would argue if a player wants to be nice and not enforce it, that's cool, but the TO should act as a ref in that situation

DinoPizzaria

Professional Twerking Choreographer
I definitely see your point of view. I'm a very lenient person so personally if it were up to me, I wouldn't have minded the pause, but I do think there should already be rules set in case things happen like that because it is really unprofessional to do something like that in a tournament.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
In a serious match I always take the win. Even if it is paused in a fairly safe spot and nothing is happening, it gives both players extra time to think, the momentum is gone, etc. So if its my choice, I take it. But anyway, I think it should be an auto dq, no matter what the players want. Just keep to the rules. Yeah, some stupid shit can happen and someone gets a win they might not have, but it's better than shit like this. If the TO gets the choice, they better not make the players play it out, that would be bs.

I've said this previously and feel very strongly about this. This call should NEVER be in a player's hands. Do you look like a pussy that can't handle a small pause or do you take any win you can? I feel that if you are going to have leniency on rules the TO should make that call, not either player. You run a tournament, you be the bad guy.
Question to other people: I don't follow any maintstream sports but I'm wondering now how similar situations are handled. Obviously there can't be a perfectly analogous situation to "pausing the game" in a more traditional sport, but its basically an action that forces the game to be stopped and disrupts the momentum of the game and isn't an allotted time out.
In these kind of situations, what are the rules surrounding whether the offended team can decline the foul?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Question to other people: I don't follow any maintstream sports but I'm wondering now how similar situations are handled. Obviously there can't be a perfectly analogous situation to "pausing the game" in a more traditional sport, but its basically an action that forces the game to be stopped and disrupts the momentum of the game and isn't an allotted time out.
In these kind of situations, what are the rules surrounding whether the offended team can decline the foul?
Delay of game is a penalty. It depends on the sport but it is a rule, there is no ambiguity.

PL is the problem here...not the TO.
Also this, that is a really shitty thing to do.