What's new

Question - Reptile How do you stop Reptile?

Zaccel

Noob
So basically zone and punish any armored moves? In terms of spacing I think he has quite a few moves that helps him to get in but I only know by playing Reptiles. Any other advice? Is it generally better to block high or low? I think the answer is high-right?
Depends on the advantage and how much Reptile is willing to part with meter. b2 is faster than b3, so when he gets advantage from, say, d3, it's arguably more likely since it's uninterruptible, doesn't need meter to combo, and is +1 on block. The advantage from his d4 guarantees either, so you have to consider his meter and cross your fingers.

The other part is whether Reptile is willing to risk the -15 to catch you blocking high, since then he loses a bar and gets punished. Since the overhead is so good, you'll have to assess for yourself how often the enemy Reptile is willing to make that call.

PLAY FOR KEEPSIES

No backsies
Just a little tip, if he gets a slow forceball set up and then tries hustling you across screen with it covering him, your best options for getting out are basically - guess the mixups until it hits, time a nice armor if the opportunity presents itself (force all will break it if you get hit by a normal or punish your combo if u do it too early), or press uppercut after blocking something if he's coming back in. Any string you try will probably just put you into the forceball, and any other button won't get you out of the pressure

PLAY FOR KEEPSIES

No backsies
Have some of you guys ever thought to realize that you're not that good and that problem is in you and not the character? Reptile is good but some of yall are making it out to be god tier when he's far from it. You young guys post a top of misinformation before exploring all of your options and it is super annoying. Also stop using online as some type of measuring sticks for characters.
Aye your the most annoying of all lol who said anything about being good players, god tiers, or online being a measure. nobody that was all you. Some of us know we arent good thats why we try to level up and ask how to beat stuff. problem?

Israel

Noob
My friend plays Cage.

Cage can outzone rep pretty easily. He makes reptile play his game. He just walks back and continously do horizontal projectiles..even if he trades with Acid spit because of more damage i belive and i think it comes out faster too?

So he forces Rep to come in..and the second he does he just starts his offense. So zoning wise..Cage wins that cuz he can just lure him in non-stop. reptile is then forced to stay in your face

Israel

Noob
Kinda sucks that the only solution ive mainly seen is "use X character and outzone/out space him". What if someone doesn't use sub,kang or johnny? What then? Im genuinely asking because this character gives me a hard time too with all his legit AND fraudulent tactics (d3 klaw into ex klaw and forceball run up pounce). The overhead is not something you can react to and a lot of his strings are safe, his specials are as well, minus the dash and slide and once hes invisible everything because a guess for a pretty good amount of time. Im just lurking here to pick up and solid information on how to deal with him.
Well, i would say when it comes to reptile, you can easily out zone him... All you would need is a mid hitting projectile that comes out normal speed, or a high hitting projectile. Because u can simply trade with his acid spit and continue do yours and eventually you'll have the advantage. Because since he doesnt have a teleport..he has to get off what he can and immediately return to getting back in your face. so he cant zone really..

Its why Subzero gets to have fun... cuz 1 ice clone, and start doing some ice balls and reptile is unable to advance forward

Well I havent done bad vs reptile with Kitana, she doesnt win the match but she goes even, I did play this MU extensively so you can go ahead and test Assassin Kitana vs him.

Levaranoia

War God
Aye your the most annoying of all lol who said anything about being good players, god tiers, or online being a measure. nobody that was all you. Some of us know we arent good thats why we try to level up and ask how to beat stuff. problem?
Just gonna block you because you're a waste of time and new to this site and know nothing of the common theme of most of these threads.

I Am The LK

Here my battle cry (Meow)
My friend plays Cage.

Cage can outzone rep pretty easily. He makes reptile play his game. He just walks back and continously do horizontal projectiles..even if he trades with Acid spit because of more damage i belive and i think it comes out faster too?

So he forces Rep to come in..and the second he does he just starts his offense. So zoning wise..Cage wins that cuz he can just lure him in non-stop. reptile is then forced to stay in your face
I don't believe that to be true but I respect your contribution to the thread. Cages projectiles are weird but the moment he gets in range where they hover right over him his options are F3 which if whiffed is deadly. Cages projectiles are punished from mid range.

Israel

Noob
I don't believe that to be true but I respect your contribution to the thread. Cages projectiles are weird but the moment he gets in range where they hover right over him his options are F3 which if whiffed is deadly. Cages projectiles are punished from mid range.
Ok. thanks.
usually once he see's that im getting close..he just continues to walk back and continue. So when he sees that i do a rep dash to close the gap, he just goes right into offense. Usually goes into Overhead, knee string..into other stuff. Or just 1,1, 4 cancel unblockable set ups (Lol i call it unblockable)

If we're having a zone war..he'll just land 1 ex flying green kick to knock me to end of stage.. and then just continue to zone me out. and if i get in close...he repeats.

So IMO JC is in the advantage always cuz as stated before, he makes reptile play his game. Even a normal flying green kick immediately puts u right back in the same situation. So reptile players knowing that, they will do everything they can to stay in your face with little zoning. But way i see it, you shouldnt really be in a position where you have to chase Reptile down.

so just zone..walk back, flying kick..zone..walkback.. offense.... random flying kick,...zone... unblockable low/oh ...GGs

bro... just duck green kicks and punish. duck cages projectiles from full to 3/4 screen, d4 under them any closer. b3 is good to stop run in pressure.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
after his klaw swipe you can interrupt him with a 6f poke. If he is playing deceptive and goes invisible I mash d3 and hope for the best lol

LASD

Noob
How I fight reptile? Hold standing block and just look for his tongue to come out so I can crouch block. If he wants to open me up by going Low and burning a bar, then I'm willing to pay that price. Also I usually interfere that stagger string they like to do the first time I see it come out. It's not a fools proof way of fighting reptile but since Ive adopted this new strategy my win percentage against reptile has increased from maybe 5% to 20% lol btw I main Liu so I try keeping him out

Parasurama

Dragon
How I fight reptile? Hold standing block and just look for his tongue to come out so I can crouch block. If he wants to open me up by going Low and burning a bar, then I'm willing to pay that price. Also I usually interfere that stagger string they like to do the first time I see it come out. It's not a fools proof way of fighting reptile but since Ive adopted this new strategy my win percentage against reptile has increased from maybe 5% to 20% lol btw I main Liu so I try keeping him out
Lots of LK players here, it should not be a bad match up like SZ? I suppose he has the tools to deal with LK's offensive options.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I think LK beats reptile and JC is even. LK zones him out pretty well due to the good recovery on the fireball, b12 destroys reptiles armoured claw, and he can punish all of reptiles armor for big damage (with or without meter). Reptiles shortcomings are poor anti-air at certain ranges without meter, gets zoned out by projectiles w quick recovery (he can ex slide on reaction but that's not a hard knockdown and doesn't guarantee any pressure), and average damage/range in his normals (not weaknesses compared to the weaker characters, but they're not as strong as the top tier).

Against reptile, block high most of the time (his lows are low damage or require meter), and don't let him whiff dashes/slides to start his offence (he's negative after this).

As JC I don't think you can zone out reptile at all (he can ex pounce on reaction for a full combo, JCs fireballs are too slow) but your footsie tools are as good or better so you should be able to win at close or mid range (if you don't you're probably getting outplayed and it's not the matchup).

HatecraftsWife

Day 1 grill
Here we go. Klaw(DB2) isn't punishable. EX Klaw is. F412 xx Klaw is a true block string.
F412 xx ex invisibility, d3 is guaranteed, but most reptiles will follow up with B2, B34, or grab after ex invisibility, so just armor because he's ~+7.
There is a gap between his B1D4 xx forceball. D3 is -3 on block, so you can counter poke. A lot of people are scared to press buttons against Rep, so online you can get away with shit on block like b34 into EX Klaw, or F412 into d3. This is just some of the misinformation I saw. Some of you guys should REALLY lab stuff before posting, because this is how you get people thinking you can poke out of F412 xx EX invisibility.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Jesus Christ there has been some SERIOUSLY bad advice given here on how to play against Reptile. Namely, "just zone him bro" and "space him out in the neutral!".

Heres what happens if you try to zone Reptile out:

Some of these are strictly on reads and tighter on timing (iAG, Laser Shots, Ex-Knives) but plenty of it is reactable, and that is punishing some of the BEST projectiles in the game. If you aren't playing any of these characters you have absolutely no chance of zoning him out if he has a bar.

Now let's take a look at Reptile's spacing game:

And here's what happens if you try to Jump Back out of a 50/50 after EX-Invis

You can FORWARD jump out of his low option, but the overhead goes straight into combo, so still a 50/50. The guy who recommended this tech gets bonus points for going on a rant shortly afterwards about people needing to research what their options are :rolleyes:

The only time you should be trying to do anything like zoning Reptile if he has a bar, is to BAIT out the Slide which is highly punishable. He's possibly the best counter-zoner in the game, with a 6f start up, low profiling, fullscreen armored move that gets him straight in. Trying to play keep away with a projectile or something similar, is going to let him in, give him damage, a knockdown, and possibly the corner. However, if he has no meter, his fullscreen game is pretty meh, you can definitely try to throw some zone at him - just remember his run speed is good and his F21 covers a lot of space quickly.

As for spacing him out in the neutral, the video pretty much covers it with little exception, it's probably not going to work out too well for you against a good Reptile and thats even against characters with some of the best advancing mids in the game. His F2 has amazing reach on it and is just as fast as some of the best advancing mids in the game, and it's supported by the character having one of the best walkback speeds in the game, there is no other way to describe his footsies other than "amazing". The followup hit in F21 also advances quite nicely as well. And even on block, he can still get in with it, he can use EX-Invis after it which leaves him +6, which means his OH beats any move, so pressing any button is a read on the 50/50. It doesn't jail into anything except D3 however, so your other options are backdash (if you aren't in the corner) or armor. Regardless, the advantage is firmly his going to be his at +6, and if he reads the armor and whiffs it by backdashing or jumping, even against safe armor that leaves the ball hugely in his court as he is now invisible giving him a massive footsies advantage, and a frame advantage from your recovery frames.
He also has other tricks he can use after an ex Invis, baiting an armor is beneficial to him as his meterless punishes hit much harder than his meterless 50/50s (and it blows a bar of yours). B1D4 hits low second hit and is super hard to recognise and respond to (he's invisible) and screws with the expected blocking pattern of needing to block OH second hit to guard against F412, both these strings easy convert for nearly 35% meterless as well.
On the subject of F21, even on block (no invis cancel) its only -4, so the advantage is yours but he still definitely has options.

So it's going to be hard to keep him out, and not always beneficial, you simply have to learn to neutral against him. His mix-up is one of the fastest in the game, speedier than even Sonya's, with an 11f OH that is +1 on block, this is his key tool. He has a sweet poke game which is also great for conditioning into a B2, D3 is 7f and only -3 on block and jails into a 50/50. EX-Invis is also commonly used to counterpoke as it has armor and fast recovery making it easy to punish a lot of normals with it, and on a misread is generally safe and gives an Invis set-up. His meterless low option is also safe on block, but is easy to punish on whiff, either by crossing it up, or backdashing. His low combo starter if he tried to convert with meter (Ex-Invis) is going to be much harder to whiff punish and is also safe on block.

You'll notice the common theme with all his bullshit however, is that it nearly all requires meter. Without it, he is a very mediocre character, his OH and low only convert for 23%/16% respectively without spending a bar, which is pretty much atrocious, and any tricks he has to make up for this abysmal meterless damage also relies on meter. As such, this resource requirement means that while he may have some of the most dishonest shit in the game, he cannot just spam it and has to use it wisely. This also means that a good tactic is trying to starve him for meter. His main meter building and pressure comes from F412xxClaw or any stagger within it (of the 4 individual hits they are -5,-5,-6,-6, respectively) which starts with a 9f mid hits 4 times, has an overhead in the middle of it, can be cancelled into a low at anytime, and launches into 33% meterless if it happens to hit, and on block (if he has a bar or it completes him one) can also be finished with EX-Invis to get another mix-up at +8. This blockstring is obviously an amazing tool for him, however, he absolutely needs it, and as such this is where we have to beat Reptile, by denying him this string. You obviously can't react to it coming out at point blank range, but I believe the secret to beating Reptile is playing in such a way that makes this string more risky for him than it is beneficial. Two ways I do this is by backdashing, and cross-ups.

Now obviously you want to do it on read of the string, but here is the results of a Backdash vs the buttons Reptile wants to press ASSUMING NEUTRAL:

-F412 string at point blank which would afterwise be safe, is punishable after a backdash by walk back for an instant into advancing for most characters (Goro Kenshi cannot backdash this at point blank, F/T and Jason can double backdash but cannot punish)
-F41, is punishable for by almost all characters after a backdash (would otherwise be safe)
-F4 is going to be safe against almost all characters after a backdash due to the spacing, but leaves you at ~11 frames of advantage (Reptile can punish himself with a Slide thats about it)
-B3 backdashed leaves you at ~11 frame advantage against if he tried to cancel into Invis for combo, it leaves him punishable by all characters if he went for the meterless option of B34. (would be otherwise safe) Can He can sometimes still catch a backdash with this if used at point blank range, but it is dependant on your backdash timing
-B2 backdashed leaves you with ~5f advantage
-B1D4 becomes punishable on whiff (otherwise safe)

Cross-up vs Reptile
-F412 will whiff against a cross up if used neutral and leave them open to punish with an advancing, but will AA you and convert into combo if used while plus, or before you jump (otherwise safe)
-F4, F41 are the same story, but get punished by the cross up itself (otherwise safe)
-B3 is full combo punishable by cross up (otherwise safe)
-B2 connects and Launches you for Reptile to combo
-B1D4 is full combo punishable by cross up (otherwise safe)

As you can see, backdashing and crossing Reptile up basically opens him up in a shitload of ways that he was otherwise safe. If he is plus or presses his buttons quicker than you, and is directly in your face, B3 may or may not catch a backdash - depends on your timing, but you do gotta have some conviction here, it's really hard for him to convert off it however. but a cross up will always whiff a B3 unless he has jailed you into it, which is pretty much either of wake up, or a D4 in the corner . So here's how I block against Reptile in the neutral, block high, read anything other than overhead I either backdash, or cross-up.

It's so stupidly hard to sit in his face and block correctly against him, even more so if he is invisible and staggering strings and shit, and when you do block its all safe, so against this character I feel this is THE way to bring the risk/reward back in your favor. Reptile is a slippery dude and to play against him you get slippery as well. The 50/50 game is still there, don't get it twisted, he still catches you and combos off the Overhead if you try to jump, and he has tools for punishing everything if the right read, just like any other match up. However not blocking for the B34 and just jumping / backdashing instead evens the playing field a little, allowing you to punish his moves HEAVILY on the correct read. It also has the benefit of for the most part, doing a lot of work denying his F412 pressure and main meterbuilding tool as well as making it punishable, and things like his backdash punish (F21) do very little without meter as already mentioned.

Unfortunately B2 is always gonna be safe and there is just no way around it, it's safe if backdashed, +1 on block, and knocks you out of cross up or jump back. And +6 frames isn't really much to do anything against Reptile after backdashing a B2 either, he can smack down any advance pretty safely with F2, so its probably best to lab up your options here. The main thing is that you need to lab is your options after a blocked B2 and develop a meta for it otherwise he can just get away with murder with B2, and D3 + B2 + F21 is all he will need to press all game. It's going to be different for each character, but for Hellfire for example, I can jump back and punish an immediate F21 followup on reaction with my EX-TP for way more than he would have gotten off that F21, or I can stand still and if he walks back to whiff something before trying it its a Flame Aura set-up which can only be contested by ex-Slide (if hes quick with it and expecting it), or poke him him out with D4xxAura or Run in Throw. Most characters will be able to beat an immediate F21 follow up after blocked B2 with S1xxCombo Starting Special very safely even on whiff, or just backdashing into punish, however everyone has their dirt so you should lab this out.

The other important meta is what to do about D3, because it is a great conditioning tool for Reptile. It's 7f +13 on hit and jails into B2 or F4, you can't armor or backdash, you really gotta respect it, if he hits you with a D3 you simply have to block the B2 and go into that guessing game, or let him get his pressure started, unless you make a very hard-read of B3 in which case you can cross up into punish. It's a vicious cycle off the D3. If you happen to backdash a D3 it leaves you at a disadvantage, if you cross up over a D3 you will only punish it if he was super late, but it should let you get your game started unless he is super quick with the uppercut. Neither of these happening is perfect or consistent or stops him from D3'ing, you just have to pay attention to when he D3's and adapt, if he uses it everytime he's plus because it jails him into pressure, then start blocking low or crossing it up and getting your game started, remember his options are far from over after either happens and he can uppercut most cross-ups even after a whiffed D3 from the neutral if he expects it, and he can armor or just poke again after a blocked D3 because it's only -3, you really need to be aware of your fastest mid for counterpoking. It's difficult. but hey everyone's got their dirt and this is Reptiles m

The best defense is a good offense however as they say, get your game started whenever you can, don't let him build meter for his bullshit, if he does have meter for his bullshit try not to let him get it started, and if he does get a knockdown make good reads on when you can armor on wake-up. Other good gaps to look to armor are after a blocked B2, after a blocked F21, after a blocked poke, and after backdashing something that leaves him at advantage like D3, just don't let him show you too much disrespect. On wake-up, especially in the corner, you need to be more careful, you have much less options becaue you can't cross up the B3 anymore, but you can delay wakeup, and you can always reversal Throw to help get the fuck out the corner it doesn't matter which way you throw him if you are worried about the tech being predictable (mix the throw up with your fastest mid if he starts adapting and poking out of the throw), after a blocked B2 you can often D4 as he reapproaches and then run in Throw to also get out, or work out some other options, F21 unfortunately AA's really well and gets him another 50/50 for a Bar so you kinda gotta make some plays here or he's just gonna shit all over you.

All in all, the character has a lot of dirt, and is extremely underrated but he is not broken IMO. You just gotta get in the lab, practice your punishes and check what your options are, hopefully this wall of text helps people know what they should be checking for at least. Just my experience with it, didn't really see much useful information in here otherwise

@I Am The LK
@Kickbykick

Last edited:

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
You can make a fair argument for him winning 0 matchups. You can zone him out. You can outspace him. You can realize his low option has a huge tell so you want to stand block. You can also just onslaught an offense that he won't be able to escape from.

His dash is punishable, his f4,2,1 string is punishable throughout, his slide is punishable, in most cases gas or nimble Is punishable. Acid balls are almost always punishable. His enhanced claw is a med and punishable (also very breakable by some characters) Spit is duckable. Pounce has a big tell and overall his damage is circumstancial. Lower than average in corner and mid minus tight execution combos. A blocked low poke is your turn to press buttons. F2,1, grab is negative. His jumpin is beat by most characters AA. Acidballs aren't a zoning tool despite popular belief. He is meter dependent in all variations. Losing matchups IMO
Sub
Lui
Shinnok
Takeda
Cassie
Kung Lao
Scorpion has a knack of being out of range of ideal punishes.
JC

Reptile has his uses. Trust me. I win much more than most people expect from a Reptile. The thing about Rep is you are beat mentally from the get go so you panic. Stay calm. Block acidballs or slide beneath (tp punish?) Don't overrespect.

So many people talking about his slide which at full screen is reactable. Very punishable and doesn't low profile as much as you'd expect. Ofcourse that is at full screen but if they are spending a bar for 8% at any other time just be glad he wasted a bar.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
You can make a fair argument for him winning 0 matchups. You can zone him out. You can outspace him. You can realize his low option has a huge tell so you want to stand block. You can also just onslaught an offense that he won't be able to escape from.

His dash is punishable, his f4,2,1 string is punishable throughout, his slide is punishable, in most cases gas or nimble Is punishable. Acid balls are almost always punishable. His enhanced claw is a med and punishable (also very breakable by some characters) Spit is duckable. Pounce has a big tell and overall his damage is circumstancial. Lower than average in corner and mid minus tight execution combos. A blocked low poke is your turn to press buttons. F2,1, grab is negative. His jumpin is beat by most characters AA. Acidballs aren't a zoning tool despite popular belief. He is meter dependent in all variations. Losing matchups IMO
Sub
Lui
Shinnok
Takeda
Cassie
Kung Lao
Scorpion has a knack of being out of range of ideal punishes.
JC

Reptile has his uses. Trust me. I win much more than most people expect from a Reptile. The thing about Rep is you are beat mentally from the get go so you panic. Stay calm. Block acidballs or slide beneath (tp punish?) Don't overrespect.

So many people talking about his slide which at full screen is reactable. Very punishable and doesn't low profile as much as you'd expect. Ofcourse that is at full screen but if they are spending a bar for 8% at any other time just be glad he wasted a bar.
Wow. We're finally here. This could actually be the worst post I've ever seen regarding MKX. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if something ever tops you off, but for now, this is it.