What's new

Question How do I deal with brain dead players?

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
@Psycho_Mantis sorry that you caught TYM on one of its less helpful days. I'll try to answer the questions in your OP as well as give you feedback on the video you posted:

Against any character, you need to understand their game plan. With Hellfire Scorpion, his game plan is to get you to jump, which is why you're eating d2s, spears, and teleports – you're doing exactly what he wants you to do. Understand that you're defensively at your weakest when you jump; you're usually at massive frame disadvantage vs. a grounded opponent and you're also physically unable to block. As Kung Jin, you might be able to get away with jumping into instant divekick *sometimes*, but scorpion's jumpkick has such massive priority that it's really not worth the risk. Ideally what your approach should be is to jump only when Scorpion goes for hellfire and stay grounded at all other times so you can block. Obviously that's not really humanly possible, so your next best bet is to do a cost-benefit analysis: out of all of my options, which option gives Scorpion the least gain in a best-case scenario for him? The answer is usually to eat the hellfire and stay grounded since hellfire doesn't lead to a potential combo.

That brings me to my approach against scrubby Scorpion players. Against really scrubby Scorpion players, I usually just sit there and block. Walk in patiently and let them hang themselves. Sure, you'll eat hellfires here and there, but someone that's truly bad will get antsy quickly. If he goes for either spear or teleport, you get a free combo. You *must* learn to punish both of these options effectively. Even Scorpion's EX teleport is punishable, so don't be thrown off by the differing animation. The only thing to look out for with the teleport is the cancel; it requires 2 bars of stamina so it's not something that can be abused easily, but it *is* still an option to respect.

Anyway, once you're in range for any of your armored moves, that's when Scorpion has to play your game. d2 and spear won't save him, and trying to teleport out just means that you get to take damage for even less work.

Video feedback: beware of and try to prevent yourself from going into auto pilot. I noticed that you don't really play as if you're anticipating Erron Black's next move; you instead seem to do what probably gets you results the majority of the time. The Erron player was able to beat your jumps almost every time and was even able to anticipate your wake-up pressure and punish it, which tells me that you need to spend less time attacking and more time thinking about your opponent's next move. It's really hard to do online, but it is possible with practice. Kung Jin also has really great range on his normals, so you don't need to be so close to the opponent to mount an attack. Try working on your spacing a bit to give yourself positional advantages, and definitely try to play more patiently and let each match develop a bit.

Hope this helps!

@Psycho_Mantis sorry that you caught TYM on one of its less helpful days. I'll try to answer the questions in your OP as well as give you feedback on the video you posted:

Against any character, you need to understand their game plan. With Hellfire Scorpion, his game plan is to get you to jump, which is why you're eating d2s, spears, and teleports – you're doing exactly what he wants you to do. Understand that you're defensively at your weakest when you jump; you're usually at massive frame disadvantage vs. a grounded opponent and you're also physically unable to block. As Kung Jin, you might be able to get away with jumping into instant divekick *sometimes*, but scorpion's jumpkick has such massive priority that it's really not worth the risk. Ideally what your approach should be is to jump only when Scorpion goes for hellfire and stay grounded at all other times so you can block. Obviously that's not really humanly possible, so your next best bet is to do a cost-benefit analysis: out of all of my options, which option gives Scorpion the least gain in a best-case scenario for him? The answer is usually to eat the hellfire and stay grounded since hellfire doesn't lead to a potential combo.

That brings me to my approach against scrubby Scorpion players. Against really scrubby Scorpion players, I usually just sit there and block. Walk in patiently and let them hang themselves. Sure, you'll eat hellfires here and there, but someone that's truly bad will get antsy quickly. If he goes for either spear or teleport, you get a free combo. You *must* learn to punish both of these options effectively. Even Scorpion's EX teleport is punishable, so don't be thrown off by the differing animation. The only thing to look out for with the teleport is the cancel; it requires 2 bars of stamina so it's not something that can be abused easily, but it *is* still an option to respect.

Anyway, once you're in range for any of your armored moves, that's when Scorpion has to play your game. d2 and spear won't save him, and trying to teleport out just means that you get to take damage for even less work.

Video feedback: beware of and try to prevent yourself from going into auto pilot. I noticed that you don't really play as if you're anticipating Erron Black's next move; you instead seem to do what probably gets you results the majority of the time. The Erron player was able to beat your jumps almost every time and was even able to anticipate your wake-up pressure and punish it, which tells me that you need to spend less time attacking and more time thinking about your opponent's next move. It's really hard to do online, but it is possible with practice. Kung Jin also has really great range on his normals, so you don't need to be so close to the opponent to mount an attack. Try working on your spacing a bit to give yourself positional advantages, and definitely try to play more patiently and let each match develop a bit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Very useful information here and you answer my question perfectly. I am to aggressive.
I usually only block often against mileena's because she unsafe on nearly everything lol.
Once again thank you for not telling me the obvious.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Thanks man, really appreciate it. Very useful information here and you answer my question perfectly. I am to aggressive.
I usually only block often against mileena's because she unsafe on nearly everything lol.
Happy to help! In general, I think being aggressive in MKX really only pays off once you get your opponent to respect your attacks. Scrubby players typically don't respect anything, so that's why you have to play a bit more defensively.

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
I can second the point that any Scorpion player who yolo teleports will make a lot of mistakes. Once you block a teleport, use your 111~EX DB1 to punish. You can blow them up every single time.

Up close, 11 has astonishing recovery. Use 11, then go for either B14~BF4 or F24~BF4. F2D1~BF4 works in the corner.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I am a Scorpion player who has played unskilled Scorpions, so I can answer both sides of the question, if you like.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
You know what the OP has a point. I've gotten to the stage now where I can beat the spammers, button mashers and constant jumping.

But I wanna play against someone better than me so I can improve.

I play as Kung Lao (Hat trick variation) I need a real opponent YouTube combo videos, practice mode in seclusion and fighting and beating up on bad players isn't helping me.

I'm not saying I'm some kind of mo God or that I'm even good at the game I'm just saying I'd like to play against someone who is legitimatly better than me, who actually outplays me and is now braindead so I can learn from.
Hey didnt you also play killer instinct?
Im always down for games bro

A lot of people on this site like to be cunts to other users for the sake of getting "likes" on their posts, just ignore them.

I'd be happy to try and give advice once you show some footage of your fights.
It's just the normal elitist bs attitude that makes this place ridiculous.

This guy is having problems dealing with something and is clearly frustrated and asking for help and some people actually seem like their ridiculing him for it, who else is he suppose to ask? Gamefaqs? LOL.

There's too much "quit yer bitchin" and "level up" talk around this place that it gets to the point where no one gets to the root of the problem.

Sure he used the word spam and maybe his problem isnt something you would care about at the advanced level but that's why he is asking you guys because he knows you are good players and might be able to help him.

Instead he is called a brain dead scrub lol.

I feel like the arguments I had in first grade about who was the best power ranger(green ) were more civilized than some of the stuff I have seen on this forum lol.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

GT = SIR JAY LEGEND add me on XBL for matches
Hey didnt you also play killer instinct?
Im always down for games bro
Yeah my main is jago and I still do I'm just taking a break from ki to learn a new fighting game.

What's your gt send it to me in a PM or just add me on Xbl my get is the same as my user name

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Add me, I'm on PS4 & need to learn as well. BTW, I play Scorpion, but not a spammy teleporting 1.

Tag- Deadly_Torcher

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
What is with this weird aversion to getting 'd2'd? like, how is this even a thing people complain about? If someone hits you with a d2, then....block maybe? It's not a mixup.

It's like "dam punch spammers! Always hitting the punch button! grrrrr!"
lmfao fuckin punch spammers >.<

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Simple answer, really. Key to beating braindead randoms is to also use braindead tactics. They're probably not smart enough to know punishes so there's no point in ever thinking about staying safe.

Vs scorpion randoms for example, just block the tele and punish. It's not like you know it's not coming. Demons are easily blocked and punished too. If you have an armored move, abuse it.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
How do you deal with @Braindead ? You pick one of Sub-Zero's bad matchups.
Deal with us? Son you can just put your controller down because you're losing anyway.

To answer the OP, I can tell you that randoms love hanging themselves. Even if you are at full screen walk/run to close the distance, it's OK if you eat 2 or 3 hellfires, that would do like less than 20%. Once you're close they WILL either teleport or jump in. You just wait for them to do that and punish them for days.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
1.Download all seasons of Game of Thrones in 1080p while you are playing
2.Pick Sonya
3.Run up to them or bunny hop into divekick and b1,4,2 them until they die.

Alternatively you can pick Mitsurugi and 2K BE them until they duck, then do 4K,B, or you can pick Heihachi and df1,1 into df2+3 on loop until they die, or pick Cyrax and jip into command grab until they die, or pick Ken and do Hadoukens until they jump and then Shoryuken when they jump... Doesn't really matter, as long as you keep doing it (until they die).

....Or I dunno, just run up and block, then punish whatever unsafe garbage they decide to throw out... until they die, of course.

D

Deleted member 9158

How do I deal with scorpion spammers? I fought one person who hell fire, d2, spear when I jump. I fought another one who spammed the teleport and every time I go for a punish it whiffs.

Every time I go on player match I fight bmashers, so I never learn anything from players or match ups. The hype for this game needs to die....

How do I deal with the bullshit guys? How do I get prepare for the bull shit spammers that I am not used to seeing?

Is there a place on the forums I can find good people to play/learn with?
Just look for games from people here. We are all healthy competition I would say

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Just post up a video, you may get harsh feedback but at least use the information they give you. A lot of people talk up their game here way more then they need to and feel they have to talk down to others. At least you understand you can and want to get better. It IS the internet and TYM is a shittier corner of it. Just remember the worse you think you are the faster you can get better since it is a learning curve and you are on the shallow end right now if I understand you correctly.
More people should respond like this to these kinds of threads.

Have more class, TYM. We all had to start somewhere.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
More people should respond like this to these kinds of threads.

Have more class, TYM. We all had to start somewhere.
As someone who is new to the community it's funny seeing the parallels in these kinds of threads. From one competitive genre to the other if you're new you have to kinda be prepared to deal with the "high levels" scoffing at the things you have to learn to deal with. I would have made one of these threads had I not known that simply doing the basics over and over while playing it out would work.

It really shines on the people who are willing to help though even if a person says the apparent taboo word of "Spam" around here.