What's new

Question How do I deal with brain dead players?

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
My tips (I know some of them have popped up already but anyways):

1) Try to keep your cool. Slowing down the pace usually helps a lot versus people who try to overwhelm you with teleports or projectiles. When you show that you are not bothered by playing a slow game they usually get nervous.
2) Go to the lab and find your best punish or pressure after a blocked move. Be it Scorpions teleport or Sub's slide, find a way to make them suffer for just throwing it out. Optimize your punishes or make sure you at least have a string that is advantageous to you (ie one that makes them guess OH/low or one that's plus). Also find ways to stuff wake-ups if your characters have those.
3) Record your matches and rewatch them. It's fucking annoying having to watch yourself get beat but it helps with finding out where you went wrong, what you didn't punish, if you're jumping too much, etc.
4) Shrug it off. Sometimes you lose to bullshit online tactics. Shrug it off, take a breather and find the next opponent.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
There are a lot of good write ups concerning fighting game fundamentals and "spamming" as well as Youtube videos, it's not really about just "How do I beat Scorpion", it's more about a general mindset and the way you approach fighting games and atm I can't find words to describe these things.

The shortest way to say what I want to say, is that you don't have to force things and try to ram through everything your opponent is trying to do. In MK, it's ok to take chip damage, it's ok to just walk or run block and block, or if you take a couple of hellfires it's not the end of the world. MK favours offence, but there can be no intelligent offence without good defence first. You have to know how to approach opponents without resorting to teleports, empty jumps, armor and other "easy way out" crutches that lots of characters have, you have to stay calm and collected, if you lose your cool, you have already lost. If you know your opponent is going to do something unsafe then you just commit to blocking. Bait your opponent into doing something unsafe rather than try to go ham on them all the time. Yomi, Okizeme, punishment, footsies, frame date, poking... all that stuff will start to unfold when you just think about how you can condition your opponent into doing something unsafe in the safest way possible first. For example, you could just throw out 2 projectiles in a row, then just block for a while and see if your average lag abusing random Scorpion will teleport, if they duck 1 projectile, maybe use that time to dash or run block forward and see what they do.

Online MK is a terrible place to learn fundamentals, but the lame out and "braindead" strategies that you come across, you can mimic in practice mode by setting the dummy to do whatever it is that beat you and then figuring ways around all that stuff.

I was going to record, but I got salty and threw my controller. I lose my focus after shit start hitting me.
I'm in the lab learning how to deal with this. Though, I might just get insulted for not being as good as others.
You have to minimize that kind of mindset to learn.

First and foremost when learning the game and match ups, DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE WIN OR LOSS. I cannot stress this enough. Focus on the neutral and how to land the first hits and punish most.

If you drop combos ignore that as you can fix that in training mode and more game play. If you are dropping at a certain spot all the time figure out why. Example: you block Kung Jin enhance bow spin and run to punish. You miss the full punish and drop combo. Identify that you have a hard time doing a combo on demand when it requires you to run first and practice exactly that.

Identify parts of the match that you have trouble with and parts that you feel comfortable in. If they are constantly jumping at you figure out ALL of your anti air options and ranges and try to optimize the damage in training mode later to deter jumping. If you are destroying them with overheads at jump range, figure out why they are afraid to stand block there. etc. It will let you strengthen your conditioning game if you know WHY the opponent is failing to block you.

When you are playing, you seem very focused on doing YOUR combo and set up constantly. This is great and all, but what you are learning to do is a sequence and it will pass or fail. You are not learning to condition, read, or react at all. These are THE biggest tools in fighting games. Combos, set ups, and set play come AFTER the initial hits. People overlook this way too much in this game. I may have a 70% combo with Quan Chi, but if I am locked down and never get a hit it is useless. That is why I can beat people online with random select and just stick to basic mechanics such as D2, jump ins, throw, block, and whatever spacing tool i find useful. These type of things are best to learn against live opponents, since it will train your reactions to movement and train your ability to read player habits and patterns.

Have fun with the game and if possible play all skill levels. For now try to play long sets of 5-10 games of the same match up in a row if possible. When you advance shorten the sets and dissect your results. I hope these tools help you overall with your game.

As far as KJ vs Scorpion. As others have said, make him regret teleporting with blocks. You cannot sit there and block all the time obviously since you will get chipped to death especially against Hell fire run cancels. Remember you own the space between you and him at jump distance. At full screen you have less tools since he can teleport or projectile you, and you only have your arrows. Focus on staying in your advantageous range. Outside of that range focus on how to defend properly or at least minimize damage taken. Up close use back dashes to do this, afar use arrows to condition a response of teleport (especially while he has no meter to reduce the damage intake). Play more and do the above when you play.

To me winning and losing really only means much if something is at stake in a set. It can be money, pride, or whatever, but if you have a 200-0 record against random people online most people including myself would give little care to that. It would peak interest and I would want to play that player in a few sets, but I would not care much more than that.

1.Download all seasons of Game of Thrones in 1080p while you are playing
2.Pick Sonya
3.Run up to them or bunny hop into divekick and b1,4,2 them until they die.

Alternatively you can pick Mitsurugi and 2K BE them until they duck, then do 4K,B, or you can pick Heihachi and df1,1 into df2+3 on loop until they die, or pick Cyrax and jip into command grab until they die, or pick Ken and do Hadoukens until they jump and then Shoryuken when they jump... Doesn't really matter, as long as you keep doing it (until they die).

....Or I dunno, just run up and block, then punish whatever unsafe garbage they decide to throw out... until they die, of course.
You know that pretty funny because I was pretty good at soul caliber I main nightmare but at the end of the game life I was able to play every male character to a certain extent and Just guard till I died.

Everyone thank you for helping and showing me there is hope on the internet and everyone has to act rude or not fully read my post.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
As someone who is new to the community it's funny seeing the parallels in these kinds of threads. From one competitive genre to the other if you're new you have to kinda be prepared to deal with the "high levels" scoffing at the things you have to learn to deal with. I would have made one of these threads had I not known that simply doing the basics over and over while playing it out would work.

It really shines on the people who are willing to help though even if a person says the apparent taboo word of "Spam" around here.
It's not taboo, the problem is that most people misuse the word. Both those who use it to refer to zoning or those who think spamming only refers to zoning.

Same type of people who probably misuse the word literally. (I do it too but I'm aware)

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Walking and blocking destroys random throw out any move players. Also these type of players will always wakeup so just wait to blow it up.

Patience will help a lot because most online players don't have it.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
It's not taboo, the problem is that most people misuse the word. Both those who use it to refer to zoning or those who think spamming only refers to zoning.

Same type of people who probably misuse the word literally. (I do it too but I'm aware)
That's fair. OP just seemed to use it in a way that seemed correct yet still received flak for it.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I'm the terrible Kung Jin lol. I main Kung but I dabble in Quan chi and I wanted to main Jason but the threads for him are not giving me a good start so I'm going back to Kung for now.
Alright from what I saw in the gameplay video, you have to practice the optimized combos
I also saw that you didn't really try to play any footsies, or walk backward once. KJ is so good because he outfootsies everyone in the game. You also have to work in your hitconfirms. If you have issues with any character, go to training mode and check the frame data. If you have trouble with teleport, try blocking and punishing with 221 xx bf4 -> run -> 3 xx bf4 -> dive kick -> run -> 34 xx db3. I think you can even get a full punish from a whiffed one but Im not sure. If you have trouble with the uppercuts, just remember that they're all full combo punishable on block and they whiff on standing opponents. If they're antiairing you a lot, play on the ground, walk forwards and backwards and space out using your b1 and f2.

On another note, they're messing with you because you said "scorpion spammers". Calling someone a "spammer" is ridiculous. You can't make up imaginary rules in your mind and pretend that everyone should follow them. The mindset that you should have is: "ok this thing that the other guy was doing beat me, what can I do to fight him back". Saying that someone won "unfairly" is silly if you know what I mean.

But yeah, where do you live? We may be able to find you an offline scene. Going offline instead of playing against laggy people online will help you level up much faster.

Only retards actually think scrubs are asking for help when they cry "spam"and "cheap".
He was asking for help though. No idea why you have to be a dick against someone who literally came here to ask for help on how to level up. You're defeating the whole purpose of the website.

Last edited:

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
@Psycho_Mantis

Feel free to add me on psn: Gito666. I like playing first to 10 sets. I do main scorpion (hellfire and ninjutsu) just to warn you tho :p

And like others have said, don't mind the rude people on this site. Not everyone is an asshole. Hope to play you soon!

RE: Dealing with Scorpion - block low and run cancel into block to close the space. You might eat a few of the divekick spawn things in the air but you can react to those. Its more dangerous to block high than low - so definitely block low and react when possible. Blocking high you'll eat minions - leading to a vortex for your opponent.

A blocked minion or spear is so very very very punishable by running in - so when you block anything, run in and punish. If your character has mixups (which, Kung Jin does..) then even blocking a minion close to fullscreen creates a guessing game for your opponent (certainly online anyway .. bit harder offline).

I guess the TLDR is: Block low, react to high, and make sure you practice run ins/run blocking to close space and punish. If you get put into a Vortex, you can armour through it for 40% with Kung Jin with an EX Bow Spin right when the reset happens.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I was going to record, but I got salty and threw my controller. I lose my focus after shit start hitting me.
I'm in the lab learning how to deal with this. Though, I might just get insulted for not being as good as others.
we all had to go through it at some point, practice makes perfect and all that .. no need to get all emotional over it

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Players that whine about spamming are always much worse than they think they are.

GAV

I've been owned by spammers. I don't get mad. I just hop into practice mode and work on tactics to deal with it. You can set the cpu to do whatever you want and the frame data is all there for you to see and compare.

I've been owned by spammers. I don't get mad. I just hop into practice mode and work on tactics to deal with it. You can set the cpu to do whatever you want and the frame data is all there for you to see and compare.
You know I can tell you can't read properly and you came into this thread to talk shit. Good Job you must won evo over 20 times.
I ask for fucking help I know how to go to training I was asking how do I get a more clear explanation, like others in the thread had posted.
Do you feel big and bad talking down to me? I already address why I used the word spam. they did it constantly over and over.
I never said spamming was bad I asked how to overcome it. Seriously learn to stop trying to impress people on a website.

GAV

You know I can tell you can't read properly and you came into this thread to talk shit. Good Job you must won evo over 20 times.
I ask for fucking help I know how to go to training I was asking how do I get a more clear explanation, like others in the thread had posted.
Do you feel big and bad talking down to me? I already address why I used the word spam. they did it constantly over and over.
I never said spamming was bad I asked how to overcome it. Seriously learn to stop trying to impress people on a website.
I'm not trying to impress anyone and I was trying to help.

I told you how I've dealt with it. I take my character into practice mode, set the cpu to block, and record whatever was giving me trouble. Then, it becomes clear - at least with the character I'm using. I've found the answers to be very character specific though.

I use a lot of characters, but I'm only good with two - and they're Sun God Kotal Khan and Mystic Ermac. With these two, I may not always win, but I'm never befuddled as to what to do - and my approach is why.

Your approach to ask for help would be more effective if you didn't filter through the advice you don't see as 'fully respectful', especially when you're reading it wrong - since I meant no disrespect.

My answer should have been more specific, but I wasn't teasing or giving tongue-in-cheek advice. My advice here is exactly what has worked well for me.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I don't have any gameplay with the topic, but I'll post one match for now. I will try to record more matches if I run into more of these players.
You aren't that bad but you could do some things better.

First thing to realize is if you are being beat by something that is braindead, it is entirely your fault. If you don't punish people for doing something why would they stop doing it? Best advice is go into training mode, practice punishing what they are doing.

As far as the video goes:
1. You play way to aggresive. You never respected wakeups, and never stopped your offense. Against good players you will get punished for doing that.
Work on respecting wakeups and then punishing them(most can be punished, but you can go into training to find which ones). NJP also beats a lot of them.
2. Dont drop combos. This is easier said then done online sometimes but make sure you get your damage when you can.
3. Dont jump so much. You jump very predictably and will be d2d or worse quite often if you continue to do it.

Also don't ever use Kung Jin's flipkick unless it is on wakeup, preferably EX'd. Otherwise it will whiff and you will get punished.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm about to blow you the fuck up. I'd say prepare yourself, but honestly you can't even prepare for the common online scorpion so it'd be asking too much.
I was going to just take a backseat, but seeing this reply to actual good advice like some entitled twat obviously justifies a small bit of reality.

First off, your title reeks of incompetence. I'm surprised you can even grasp the concept of pressing buttons on a keyboard, since apparently you're too inept to think of a title that isn't basically flamebait waiting to happen.
I'm not even being an asshole right now, I'm being honest. If you want help, pick a title that doesn't sound like you just stepped out of the Gamefaqs primordial ooze.
Of course people are going to come in here and bust your ass, and you deserve it all things considered.

Second, don't be an asshole to people with good advice. If you know how to go into practice, then you shouldn't be posting here in the first place. GAV is right when he says learn your frames.
You want a clear explanation? Learn to dissect your own play, learn to recognize your own shitty habits so you can bring your Kung Jin to an almost tolerable level.

Third, you use the word "spam" like people use the word "ironic", its incorrect and you look like an ass for doing so. Its not spam, its tactics that you obviously lack the simplest basics to counter.
How hard is it to block and punish? How hard is it to see someone doing something 19 times and figure out a way to stop it the 20th time?
Its not, and I'm running out of ways to accent your idiocy because its so all over the place. They explain blocking in the tutorial, try playing through it.

I'm about to give you the magic formula for beating "braindead spammers".

Ready?

Learn to play the game above the level of a five year old inbred child. Crazy, I know, I'll try to slow down for you.
If you go to the lab (like GAV so kindly said), you can learn that scorpion's teleport, spear, and 90% of what you bitch about is full combo punishable if you aren't a total boob.
Then you learn from said lab how best to punish it.

Then you nut up and stop wasting our time, since by that point you'd almost resemble someone worth it.

If you'd prefer a tl;dr so you can avoid having your sensitive feelings hurt (since someone saying to hit the lab got your clit in a twist)

Learn to lab, learn to read what you type before you send it off, and learn to take advice if you ask for it.
Learn to get a thicker skin, and if you're looking for advice learn to sit down and shut up. No one gives a damn about your opinion.
We didn't come here to hear what you think, you came here to grovel for the smallest morsels of advice we could spare, if we care to.
And you'll be damn grateful we even bother to insult you, let alone if we decide to impart advice.

Now either learn to play the goddamn game or stop playing it, but don't come in here looking for us to hold your hand.
If you can't walk on your own two legs, then lay there and perish alongside every other braindead player with an opinion.
We can't teach you to not be a shit KJ player, thats something you have to learn on your own.

Next time, maybe make a post saying "Having issues with ____, would like advice" instead of something that makes me think you need a helmet to go into public.

Like I make a habit out of not blowing people up for the sake of trying to keep the idea that I'm a "nice guy", but fuck it if I get infracted for this I don't care. There were a million simple, obvious ways to go about making this topic, getting what you needed, and improving yourself, but you picked the ONE ABSOLUTE WORST WAY and rolled with it.

This topic is over. People gave you advice, you taking it or not is on your head, not ours. Anything further will just be wasted time and energy, and more and more flaming and trolling. This topic, and every topic like it, are a cancer on the forum.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I'm about to blow you the fuck up. I'd say prepare yourself, but honestly you can't even prepare for the common online scorpion so it'd be asking too much.
I was going to just take a backseat, but seeing this reply to actual good advice like some entitled twat obviously justifies a small bit of reality.

First off, your title reeks of incompetence. I'm surprised you can even grasp the concept of pressing buttons on a keyboard, since apparently you're too inept to think of a title that isn't basically flamebait waiting to happen.
I'm not even being an asshole right now, I'm being honest. If you want help, pick a title that doesn't sound like you just stepped out of the Gamefaqs primordial ooze.
Of course people are going to come in here and bust your ass, and you deserve it all things considered.

Second, don't be an asshole to people with good advice. If you know how to go into practice, then you shouldn't be posting here in the first place. GAV is right when he says learn your frames.
You want a clear explanation? Learn to dissect your own play, learn to recognize your own shitty habits so you can bring your Kung Jin to an almost tolerable level.

Third, you use the word "spam" like people use the word "ironic", its incorrect and you look like an ass for doing so. Its not spam, its tactics that you obviously lack the simplest basics to counter.
How hard is it to block and punish? How hard is it to see someone doing something 19 times and figure out a way to stop it the 20th time?
Its not, and I'm running out of ways to accent your idiocy because its so all over the place. They explain blocking in the tutorial, try playing through it.

Ready?

Learn to play the game above the level of a five year old inbred child. Crazy, I know, I'll try to slow down for you.
If you go to the lab (like GAV so kindly said), you can learn that scorpion's teleport, spear, and 90% of what you bitch about is full combo punishable if you aren't a total boob.

Then you nut up and stop wasting our time, since by that point you'd almost resemble someone worth it.

If you'd prefer a tl;dr so you can avoid having your sensitive feelings hurt (since someone saying to hit the lab got your clit in a twist)

Learn to lab, learn to read what you type before you send it off, and learn to take advise if you ask for it.
Learn to get a thicker skin, and if you're looking for advice learn to sit down and shut up. No one gives a damn about your opinion.
We didn't come here to hear what you think, you came here to grovel for the smallest morsels of advice we could spare, if we care to.
And you'll be damn grateful we even bother to insult you, let alone if we decide to impart advice.

Now either learn to play the goddamn game or stop playing it, but don't come in here looking for us to hold your hand.
If you can't walk on your own two legs, then lay there and perish alongside every other braindead player with an opinion.
We can't teach you to not be a shit KJ player, thats something you have to learn on your own.

Next time, maybe make a post saying "Having issues with ____, would like advice" instead of something that makes me think you need a helmet to go into public.
Oh shit someone is getting his legs dislocated tonight.

Ready?

Learn to lab, learn to read what you type before you send it off, and learn to take advice if you ask for it.

Like I make a habit out of not blowing people up for the sake of trying to keep the idea that I'm a "nice guy", but fuck it if I get infracted for this I don't care. There were a million simple, obvious ways to go about making this topic, getting what you needed, and improving yourself, but you picked the ONE ABSOLUTE WORST WAY and rolled with it.

This topic is over. People gave you advice, you taking it or not is on your head, not ours. Anything further will just be wasted time and energy, and more and more flaming and trolling. This topic, and every topic like it, are a cancer on the forum.
LOL GOD DAMN