What's new

"House Divided" speech. Can we stop this madness of region hate?

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
The problem is ego. A player's stock in relation to going up or down in their gameplay performance has no baring on their professional attitude in organizing an event. You would think that people who organize tournaments should have no participation in playing them in order to maintain professional independence. Bottom line is that people need to learn to TRUST each other, but sadly there are so many cliques and backstabbing in the fgc because of ego that peace is a dream. BELIEVE & KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I can quote a ton of times EC has talked shit on the entire West Coast, would like to see the opposite.
end of the day it still ended up with hugs and it was all good. nothing was ever really serious hatred towards you guys. if you were actually there you would have seen it at NEC. anything that didn't end up in hugs and broing out was because someone on the other side took things personally after we tried to hug it out but to my knowledge none of that happened.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
end of the day it still ended up with hugs and it was all good. nothing was ever really serious hatred towards you guys. if you were actually there you would have seen it at NEC. anything that didn't end up in hugs and broing out was because someone on the other side took things personally after we tried to hug it out but to my knowledge none of that happened.
it's lasted long past NEC though

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
it's lasted long past NEC though
im mostly speaking for myself in this case. i dont keep up with tym drama because i really don't give a fuck and i just wanted to talk shit at NEC because it was my birthday and talking shits fun lol. but both fran and arma to my knowledge haven't kept any bad blood going.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Ive been following this for the past year and a half or so and ive noticed the hostility between west and east coast. What started it? Is a natural east vs west rivalry or did a west or east coast player do something to initiate all of the hostility?
Haven't been paying attention to things recently but usually the West Coast is brushed aside in the NRS kommunity because most of the majors are in the East so it's easier for their top players to get exposure.

It happened in MK9 and it happened in Injustice. There's more than this, but this is what I see as the root. From this stems egos and further down the line hostility.

community bias stems from history, plain and simple

there has always been huuuuuuuuge west coast bias in capcom scene, easily worse than anything on this site. that's because CA was one of the only places that kept SF alive in the 90s while it had died down in the rest of the US - even NY didn't really get serious about SF until eddie lee & arturo came along. so they were the ones who ran the first majors and founded SRK & evo, and it was their opinions that shaped the scene.

back in the day, if west coast didn't play your game that meant it was ass. and if EC was actually better than WC in a game both played (see: marvel 2), that meant the game wasnt as serious and EC still couldnt win in the REALEST shit.

then you look at MK scene. who was really taking MK seriously back in the 90s? east coast & chicago! so they occupy the same spot that west coast heads do in capcom community, thus it shouldn't be a surprise to see a lot of the same patterns from the other end...

also i kinda agree with jonnitti re: complaining about pools. this community badly, BAAAAADLY needs to check out some of the original SRK articles (talking like 2000-2001 here, not sure if they're still around) on different tournament formats. the SF scene used to be very similar to this one in terms of caring about exact tournament placings...so the cannons went into great detail explaining the limitations of double elimination. in a nutshell, here's the deal:

even *in theory*, due to randomized brackets and evenly-matched players and short sets, double elimination can only accurately determine the TOP TWO players in a given tournament. THAT'S IT. and in reality that's often not even the case, since top players may match up differently against various players of a similar overall skill level. there is inherently some luck to ALL placings below top 2 in double-elim, at minimum.

this is why "if you didn't get top 3 then who the fuck are you?" became the mantra of the SF scene at that time. it's a lot more complicated nowadays since the pool of top players is far deeper...but i don't think making Top 8 the new brass ring is the best answer. instead, i would argue that we should value consistency and beating top players above any particular placing. japan learned this stuff forever ago since all their tournaments are single-elim, but double-elim seems to have fooled us even though it's not as much better as we think...